Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

I think we can field a solid team, and I agree that a better coach would probably have this squad finals bound (even if we only scrape in).

But at the same time I think we have deadwood (like Dmac, Germano and Hoffman) and badly inconsistent players (could just about list the whole squad, to be honest). Consequently, I don't think we have great depth, particularly in some positions like the striker and number 10 positions. I think a good coach would have done much better with our number 10 this season, playing Kalmar when fit and playing Mauk much often, but truth be told an aging Kewell, Kalmar (too injury prone & inconsistent) and young Mauk isn't great depth for arguably the most important position in the 4-2-3-1 formation.

I would be thrilled if we secured Ibini. I also think Griffiths could be pretty good as well. But that we require us to cut loose a player like Dmac, and our club seems to never release seriously under-performing or injured players. Heart is too much like a hospital or a retirement village, in that we unreasonably retain injured and aging players, rather than a competitive football club, that actually demands its players play, and play well, to retain their places.

Nothing is wrong with our starting xi/bench players. It's just the coach... All our players would thrive in other teams in the league, because a good coach makes and creates players.

not really...

if the players cant execute simple 1v1 chances, is it still JA's fault? 

if Wieleart dives in and causes a penalty, is that JA's fault?

all im saying is that while Aloisi's time is up, if you think that it is only him that is the problem then you have it wrong tbh

Mifsud and Ramsey take a couple of their chances and we would have won the game vs Adelaide.... and Brisbane away, not to mention others.

Dmac, Germano, Hoffman, Mitchinson and Kewell you could release now and it wouldn't harm us at all.

5 out of a small squad. Without blinking.

Exactly, what is it, four games between the five of them this season? Dmac, Germano and Kewell are too injury prone and Hoffman and Mitchinson just aren't good enough for a-league level. Every single player of all the better teams in the comp can play at this level, there's zero help having dead weight like Hoffman and Mitchinson. 

Hoffman will move to India or something, and Mitchinson can go back to Perth Glory youth. Dmac and Kewell can retire with Germano playing somewhere in Asia.

Dmac, Germano, Hoffman, Mitchinson and Kewell you could release now and it wouldn't harm us at all.

Exactly, what is it, four games between the five of them this season? Dmac, Germano and Kewell are too injury prone and Hoffman and Mitchinson just aren't good enough for a-league level. Every single player of all the better teams in the comp can play at this level, there's zero help having dead weight like Hoffman and Mitchinson. 

Hoffman will move to India or something, and Mitchinson can go back to Perth Glory youth. Dmac and Kewell can retire with Germano playing somewhere in Asia.

Would allow us to hunt five difference makers to our squad. Not dead wood. If done right, 5 new players who could make an impact.

An attacking midfielder, a striker or two, a right back and a another attacking wide player. Would enhance our squad.

We also have the ability to bring in youth. Retre, Garrucio and Mauk should be regulars. Play the underperforming types in the reserves to gain touch and form.

We have a lot of deadwood on our list.

• Like 1

I still agree with the comment I made before the start of the season, that all up we have a pretty good squad that should be able to make the finals. But apart from maybe David Williams, all of our players are playing below their potential (and many well below their potential). Aloisi has been terrible at managing the players in our squad, and I have no doubt that many of our players could do very well in the A-League.

But I also think it's true that if 3,4 or 5 changes were made to our squad, like Melburnian recommends, then our squad would be much more complete and much better. Ideally Heart should make changes around now, when their are players available like Ibini and Griffiths, and not towards the end of the season when things are really bad, and only players of the ilk of Jamie Coyne and Marcel Meeuwis are available. 

Edited by Murfy1

I would add Kalmar and Dugandzic to that list. Neither has done a thing for us this season.

These seven from a squad that just a few weeks ago we were touting as having plenty of depth.

I cannot name a single player in our squad who so far this season has performed above or according to expectations, except perhaps Migliorini.

I may be a bit harsh but, honestly, no-one springs to mind.

Edited by jw1739

I would add Kalmar and Dugandzic to that list. Neither has done a thing for us this season.

These seven from a squad that just a few weeks ago we were touting as having plenty of depth.

I cannot name a single player in our squad who so far this season has performed above or according to expectations, except perhaps Migliorini.

I may be a bit harsh but, honestly, no-one springs to mind.

Yeah agree but I wouldn't get rid of Mate and Kalmar. But they both should be playing with the youth team. They are both seriously out of touch and form and shouldn't be near the first team at the moment. It's called player management. Aloisi lacks this as well as other things.

I still agree with the comment I made before the start of the season, that all up we have a pretty good squad that should be able to make the finals. But apart from maybe David Williams, all of our players are playing below their potential (and many well below their potential). Aloisi has been terrible at managing the players in our squad, and I have no doubt that many of our players could do very well in the A-League.

But I also think it's true that if 3,4 or 5 changes were made to our squad, like Melburnian recommends, then our squad would be much more complete and much better. Ideally Heart should make changes around now, when their are players available like Ibini and Griffiths, and not towards the end of the season when things are really bad, and only players of the ilk of Jamie Coyne and Marcel Meeuwis are available.

Look we DO have a squad that should be challenging for finals but it's obvious that's not gonna happen due to a variety of reasons like the coaching, facilities, fitness training etc. Making the finals shouldn't be the aim. It should be the floor. The lowest point of what is acceptable.

As JW states there are several more who are questionable to remain on the list.

Things need to change. From top to bottom.

Melburnian, why the Mitchinson hate? Could use him next season once Aziz goes back to Turkey. Aloisi won't be around so Ramsay won't be converted to a left-back!

No hate he's not bad but I don't think he is good enough. Happy to be proved wrong.

Mel, I also think you're a little harsh on Mitchinson. I actually think he's quite a good player. Not so adventurous as Behich, but better defensively. Aziz isn't the player he was; his commitment is always out of the top drawer, but he's been pretty slack marking this season.