Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Kisnorbo confirmed on club website http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-Heart-FC-signs-Patrick-Kisnorbo/74573

Also confirmed is that we have 22 signed players, and one spot remaining.

That's almost certain to be the striker, so looks like the end of Ross Archibald and other contenders for the seniors. Unless Ross can get the injury replacement gig.

Edited by jw1739

Interesting to read on a live blog on Fox Sports at the moment, Davutovic reckons we won't sign McGrath because we're after an international striker as we've still got the $ left in the cap.

Aslong as the international striker we sign is actually better than McGrath, id be stoked, hoping its a reasonably big signing! (Mladen Petric Pleaaase!)

Interesting to read on a live blog on Fox Sports at the moment, Davutovic reckons we won't sign McGrath because we're after an international striker as we've still got the $ left in the cap.

Aslong as the international striker we sign is actually better than McGrath, id be stoked, hoping its a reasonably big signing! (Mladen Petric Pleaaase!)

Agree, but if get just get McGrath ill still be pretty happy. I think he has great potential.

Also, just saw an article today that says Tomasso Rocchi wants to stay in Italy. Just thought i'd say that since his name was bound to pop up again. Shame though, definitely would've gotten the golden boot for the league.

We would have to be going for the striker now with that one spot left and u reckon if we were not looking at an International we would have signed McGarth by now...

Will be signing a Striker within a week or so. Most likely an international. Solid mail. ;)

Believe in braveheart

I've been impressed time and time again by the clubs signings all this off-season. They have clearly found someone better than McGrath if they haven't signed him by now

Yesss! hes still available!

or get our Dutchy connections onto this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glynor_Plet

As Nate said, Davutovic's live blog firmly suggests that we're looking for an International striker:

Heart has enough $ in the kitty to sign a decent oseas striker, so that's the issue for McGrath.

And

McGrath is no longer trialling with Heart. With Kisnorbo signed they only have 1 spot left and while they're looking for a striker they have a foreign spot up their sleeve. I think Engelaar's injury has killed McGrath's chances of a permanent deal. He is more than capable of playing A-League though so I'm sure he'll get snapped up.

(http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/news-limiteds-david-davutovic-runs-the-rule-over-melbourne-heart-sydney-fc-and-brisbane-roar/story-e6frfkp9-1226715853418)

Add that together with what Scott Munn said to The World Game last night " As soon as we lost Orlando Engelaar with his broken leg (on debut for the club) we stepped up the chase for a defender and a striker. We have two foreign spots available and we will see what happens", and it looks like we're targeting an international striker.

I really wish we signed McGrath, at least as a backup striker. It's times like this when we see what opportunities are missed by keeping strikers like Macallister and Hoffman.

At least we should get a pretty good, and hopefully pretty proven striker now.

Edited by Murfy1

did a bit of snooping on Petric's twitter and facebook, he posted a photo of a departure board at an airport (didnt see melbourne on the list)

and he has passed a medical/fitness test, don't think he'll be here sadly lads

Edited by Davy21

Why so much McGrath love? He's bloody 3 from 50 odd at Brondby for gods sake. On par with Mcallister for mine, and DMac would be costing us way less, which is why we can bring guys like Kisnorbo in.

McGrath showed heaps more then Macallister ever has.

Completely agree. And Macallister's career has peaked, and he doesn't have any more evident potential. We know what we are going to get with him. And, unfortunately, even after an excellent pre-season prior to last season, he still couldn't do well, scoring just 1 goal across 20 appearances (getting 5 starts and playing 652 minutes).

Meanwhile, McGrath is at the start of his senior football career, and he has potential to become even better. His statistics are deceiving if you only look at the simplistic goals to games ratio, as he was substituted on in the vast majority of games, and didn't even get a half of football in the vast majority of his appearances. Corey Gameiro during his loan last season at Wellington as well also showed that a striker can show a lot of quality, without doing the full job of scoring regularly (he only scored 1 goal across 8 games, and played on average 80 minutes a game). 

The bottom line is you'll misjudge a lot of strikers if you narrowly look at the goals to games ratio, and you'll especially misjudge young strikers. Using the goals to games ratio logic, we shouldn't have played Babalj regularly in our 2nd season, because he didn't have a good goals to games ratio, and our 2nd season would have been a tragedy without him.

Also, he has impressed many coaches, and even Aloisi has said 'he looks like a striker that, I think, has got a future'. Aloisi's also said that 'his finishing's great. In training his finishing is very good', despite the fact that he's not fully fit.

I'm eager for us to sign another Babalj, that is, another promising young Australian striker. And, with Macallister and Hoffman already taking up squad spots, it looks like there isn't a chance that we'll sign McGrath. I just hope whichever striker we sign doesn't get injured this season.

Edited by Murfy1

As far as I know, we have a few options left for signings including Australian marquee, international spot, junior Aussie marquee, injury replacement, NYL signings ( ;)), regular squad signing. And if we ask Sydney or Jimmy, I am sure we could come up with some more creative options.

• Like 2

did a bit of snooping on Petric's twitter and facebook, he posted a photo of a departure board at an airport (didnt see melbourne on the list)

and he has passed a medical/fitness test, don't think he'll be here sadly lads

Always too big a fish for us! But a boy can dream.

Confirmed at West Ham, hope he can put a few away for the hammers!

Seems like McGrath is gone. Apparently he got injured whilst on trial

David Davutovic
McGrath is no longer trialling with Heart. With Kisnorbo signed they only have 1 spot left and while they're looking for a striker they have a foreign spot up their sleeve. I think Engelaar'
12:44 PM yesterday

David Davutovic
injury has killed McGrath's chances of a permanent deal.
Edited by Dylan

Seems like McGrath is gone. Apparently he got injured whilst on trial

David Davutovic

McGrath is no longer trialling with Heart. With Kisnorbo signed they only have 1 spot left and while they're looking for a striker they have a foreign spot up their sleeve. I think Engelaar'

David Davutovic

injury has killed McGrath's chances of a permanent deal.

That's what I originally thought too but I think the sentence is continuous and he means Engelaar's injury killed Mcgraths chances. I guess cause we needed the spot for another defender rather than a back up striker.

It's so shit that we have Hoffman/D-Mac clogging up spots on the list. They're the ones who killed McGrath's chance, not Engelaar.

If the club hadn't of snapped up these lost causes we could have McGrath on the list right now and still have two spots left for this international striker and Archibald and still room with Engelaar's injury replacement.

• Like 1

It's so shit that we have Hoffman/D-Mac clogging up spots on the list. They're the ones who killed McGrath's chance, not Engelaar.

If the club hadn't of snapped up these lost causes we could have McGrath on the list right now and still have two spots left for this international striker and Archibald and still room with Engelaar's injury replacement.

Glad to see ppl finally agreeing with me on the matter of "deadwood" in the squad.

I'd say Hoffman and Dmac have been complained about to the point of exhaustion. When you get to the point that the decisions have been made and the season's about to start, you have to accept it and move on no matter how stupid you think it is.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

I'd say Hoffman and Dmac have been complained about to the point of exhaustion. When you get to the point that the decisions have been made and the season's about to start, you have to accept it and move on no matter how stupid you think it is.

Could it be they were re-signed because there less likely to complain about there amount of playing time? A young and up-comming striker in Mcgrath would be demanding to start most games, but now with this new international signing that would appear to be less likely. A d-mac will be happy to play in the youth league and play his 1,2 games a season compared to a mcgrath who might cause team disharmony? 

exactly this