Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

I'd say Hoffman and Dmac have been complained about to the point of exhaustion. When you get to the point that the decisions have been made and the season's about to start, you have to accept it and move on no matter how stupid you think it is.

Could it be they were re-signed because there less likely to complain about there amount of playing time? A young and up-comming striker in Mcgrath would be demanding to start most games, but now with this new international signing that would appear to be less likely. A d-mac will be happy to play in the youth league and play his 1,2 games a season compared to a mcgrath who might cause team disharmony? 

Maybe. From memory, I'm pretty sure D-mac was given a two year contract because both Aloisi and WSW were into him and it took a longer contract to get him down here. So for better or worse, he's on our books for this season. He was signed as a back up, and because he's apparently a good bloke to have around the club, and I'd say he understands that's his role. McGrath might be better, but like you say, coming off the bench for short spells might not be what he's after. Macllister isn't great, but he can play a role and his size potentially gives us something different up front. And like WSW showed, even Mariners with McBreen last year, you don't need a squad of superstars to win.

• Like 1

I'd say Hoffman and Dmac have been complained about to the point of exhaustion. When you get to the point that the decisions have been made and the season's about to start, you have to accept it and move on no matter how stupid you think it is.

Could it be they were re-signed because there less likely to complain about there amount of playing time? A young and up-comming striker in Mcgrath would be demanding to start most games, but now with this new international signing that would appear to be less likely. A d-mac will be happy to play in the youth league and play his 1,2 games a season compared to a mcgrath who might cause team disharmony? 

Maybe. From memory, I'm pretty sure D-mac was given a two year contract because both Aloisi and WSW were into him and it took a longer contract to get him down here. So for better or worse, he's on our books for this season. He was signed as a back up, and because he's apparently a good bloke to have around the club, and I'd say he understands that's his role. McGrath might be better, but like you say, coming off the bench for short spells might not be what he's after. Macllister isn't great, but he can play a role and his size potentially gives us something different up front. And like WSW showed, even Mariners with McBreen last year, you don't need a squad of superstars to win.

Completely agree with this.

Hoping that the signing of Mifsud will mean we're looking to have more mobile strikers and play the ball on the carpet. With Macallisters injury we still have Williams & Gol Gol who can play as a mobile, pacy striker, and Kewell who can hold the ball up and bring with wingers and midflielders into the game. No need to sign an injury replacement for DMac unless we plan on Route 1 football again.

They must of missed out on a marque, for Ang to be looking at a one dimensional player like McGrath.

their marquee is going to be a CB

Any news on who it is??

Surely it has to be Gallas

Apparently it's some Chilean bloke, not Gallas anymore. With their strike rate, the rumoured Chilean player probably won't be signed

It's Pablo Contreras

Really??

Ummmm nothin too special paying him a lot of money too. 800k

If that's true, that's a laugh. Especially since they're having cracks at us for overpaying Mifsud (allegedly $300k annually)

What right have those mungs got to judge.

They haven't got the best track record themselves.