Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Okay, We've got two spots left and one can be a VISA player. We need a Striker and a DM. What's the club gonna do?

Nothing drastic I wouldn't imagine. Thinking realistically I hope the club signs McGrath. His young with a lot of upside and apparently was rather lively when coming on in Lismore. Even if McGrath is signed and doesn't really make it at Heart we do have other players who can play that role, McCallister, Mebrahtu and Kewell.

As for our other spot there is little doubt we need a midfield boss. More then likely a VISA player a clone of Orlando would be fine. The only Australian that could filed the void would be Carl Valeri. Though seeing his current club as gained promotion to Serie A that would be unlikely.

According to Michael Lynch we have McGrath trialling until the end of the week (I don't know if this is old news).

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/window-shuts-on-miligans-move-to-palace-20130903-2t2j6.html

Perhaps if the other player in this article is a bit upset we could send Mate over to ask if he would like to fill in as def mid or centre half for us? It would help fill a couple of holes we have in our squad, and we have the cash for wages, and the look on their faces...

Edited by Peter

Soolsma on A-League radar By Aidan Ormond
Sep 9 2013 00:25

EXCLUSIVE: A Dutch former MLS striker is one of a number of talents being eyed by A-League clubs at former NSL champion club South Melbourne.

Defender Brian Bran and highly rated Iqi Jawadi are two at the VPL outfit that continue to attract attention but a little known Dutchman is also catching the eye.

Winger Nick Soolsma, 25, arrived two months ago at the Lakeside club from Holland. 

New South coach Chris Taylor clearly rates the former VV Young Boys forward.

“Soolsma certainly has the pedigree and ability to play in the A-League,” he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

“I know in the last few games we’ve had A-League scouts coming down and watching. And obviously Heart and Victory keep a very close monitor of what’s going on.

“Sometimes it’s about being given the opportunity and the right circumstances to come your way. 

"But Nick’s certainly got quality. A good wide player very much in the offensive role and is one of the quality players in the league right now.”

In 2011, Soolsma was signed by former Lazio and Holland international Aron Winter at Toronto.

He made an immediate impact in the CONCACAF Champions League with a starring performance against LA Galaxy helping to knock David Beckham’s side out of the tournament.

But when Winter was axed after a poor run of results in 2012, new coach Paul Mariner was appointed and the winger was soon on the outer.

Soolsma then blotted his copybook being one of three Toronto players arrested for public intoxication. He was released by the club in July 2012 and returned to Holland where he inked a deal with Excelsior.

Soolsma is best known in Holland for his spell with VV Young Boys in 2009 where he was one of the club’s top scorers.

Despite the attention some players are getting, Taylor is  hopeful of building a squad that can mount a strong FFA Cup run next year.

“We want to get the best players in the state and more so the players who could step up to the next level so we can create a pathway for them," he added. 

“It’s the ultimate aim for everyone to go up against that top level in the A-League and give our boys a chance to pit themselves against some of the game’s household names."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/281429,soolsma-on-a-league-radar.aspx

Unclear which, if any, of the 3 players Heart might be interested in.

Not sure if Nick Soolsma is more of a winger or a striker. Despite Heart preaching that our players should be 'flexible', I'd prefer if we signed an out-and-out striker rather than a sometime winger, given how many wingers we have.

I think Brian Bran is also known as Anthony Bryan Bran. Arthur Papas, who coached him, said about this young central defender in April 2011 that " “He has a fantastic character and attitude. He can play with both feet and although six feet four tall has good pace and is strong in the air both defensively and attacking," he told au.fourfourtwo.com“What’s more, he possesses an excellent passing range.” " (http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/200674,aleague-coaches-chase-bran.aspx).

Iqi Jawadi is a central midfielder and apparently a defensive midfielder. He was at treble winning Dandenong Thunder in 2012. He played all 25 league games that season. 

Edited by Murfy1

Both should be signed and the sooner the better, Govas looked pretty good for Oakleigh too, not sure if he's missed his chance in the eyes of the current coaching staff though.

According to the tards forum mv desperately want govas but can't take him due to bru still being on the books

t JA is too risk averse to take a chance with the likes of govas, archibald and McGrath although McGrath will probably be signed highly doubt the other two will be

Edited by Dylan

So what will be the fate of archibald and mcgrath? We only have two spots left and it seems like we are after another visa player too...Could Archibald be offer a youth contract but play seniors aswell? Id hate to lose Archibald after the oakliegh game.

We still have the ability to sign an injury replacement. Any of these guys could be that

what deadwood is left? hoffman?

I'm not going to bother to list them because they've been listed before. Too many players in our squad are either not 100% fit, can't run out a game, are not serious challengers for a first-team place, or wouldn't be considered good enough for a contract at another A-League club.

These players are preventing us from signing the players we need to be competitive in a league that is improving every year.

If we sign an injury replacement, we can sign 3 players, 2 of which could be VISA players (it is my understanding the injury replacement could be a VISA player).

As Archibald would be younger than 21 by January 1st, we could sign him on a youth league contract for 13-14 and a senior contract for next season, although if we used up all our spots that would mean that someone in our current senior squad would have to get released next season, which could create some disharmony. Nonetheless, I was impressed with how we smartly signed Mauk and Garuccio using this method, and I think it could be a good idea to sign Archibald using this method as well.

I can't help but think that McGrath hasn't been signed yet because we might be looking at another striker, such as an international striker. Ideally IMO we'd sign both an international striker and McGrath, but we probably don't have the spots for 2 more strikers, because of Macallister and/or Hoffman.

So hopefully we at least sign McGrath or an international striker, and a defensive midfielder. 

Edited by Murfy1

At a guess I would imagine the list cloggers you are talking about are:

Velaphi

Macallister

Germano (injury prone)

Hoffman

Mitchinson

and maybe Kalmar

all of which have been either re-signed or won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

so rather than trying to clear out the 'deadwood' (which clearly won't happen) we are better off utilising them whenever and however we can.

as has been said before, pretty football doesn't win you games

Central defensive midfielder, yes please!

I'm a Villa fan so have followed him closely. He's not that good on the ball. But he's amazing in the air and has a red hot crack. I see him as defensive cover at Villa. He was second choice RB before we brought Bacuna in.

He's a class above this league though so I guess he would be great at DM.

Central defensive midfielder, yes please!

I'm a Villa fan so have followed him closely. He's not that good on the ball. But he's amazing in the air and has a red hot crack. I see him as defensive cover at Villa. He was second choice RB before we brought Bacuna in.

He's a class above this league though so I guess he would be great at DM.

Lol disagree.

Watched him many times for Villa when he was playing regularly, before his constant injuries, and he was very solid at DM.