Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

FFA risk ire of AFL by sending promotional A-League truck into Grand Final precinct

FOOTBALL Federation Australia will risk the ire of the AFL on Saturday by sending a promotional truck into the Grand Final precinct publicising the opening of the A-League season.

With 100,000 people set to descend on the Melbourne Cricket Ground for the AFL decider between Hawthorn and Fremantle, the FFA will devote eight hours circling the ground with a vehicle displaying Melbourne Heart recruit Harry Kewell and Victory superstar Archie Thompson.

The A-League season opens with the Melbourne Derby on October 12.

“I’d be surprised if the AFL saw this as ambush marketing,” said FFA Head of Corporate Affairs and Communications, Kyle Patterson. “We’re not in direct competition with the AFL anyway, they finish as we start.

“This is a sign that football is in the mainstream. We have a great story to tell and we’re not shy about telling it.

“The A-League season rolls into the FIFA World Cup in Brazil when millions of Aussie fans will get behind the Socceroos. We’re banging the drum to get everyone on board.”

The 2012 AFL Grand Final between Sydney and Hawthorn drew 99,683 spectators to the MCG. The game, won by the Swans, drew a national television audience of 4.05 million viewers – the highest posted by the AFL in six years. It was the most watched sporting event in Australia for 2012.

The FFA and the AFL have endured a rocky relationship over the years, most notably over the issue of stadium availability during football’s unsuccessful bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The deployment of an FFA-sponsored promotional truck to the AFL’s showpiece event could further fray tensions. 

The FFA is hoping to build on the success of the breakthrough 2012-13 season A-League season with a sizeable promotional blitz before kick-off.

The Heart’s signing of Kewell after an unhappy stint with cross-town rivals Victory will be a key feature of the messaging in Victoria.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/ffa-risk-ire-of-afl-by-sending-promotional-a-league-truck-into-grand-final-precinct/story-e6frf4gl-1226728797667

FFA risk ire of AFL by sending promotional A-League truck into Grand Final precinct

FOOTBALL Federation Australia will risk the ire of the AFL on Saturday by sending a promotional truck into the Grand Final precinct publicising the opening of the A-League season.

With 100,000 people set to descend on the Melbourne Cricket Ground for the AFL decider between Hawthorn and Fremantle, the FFA will devote eight hours circling the ground with a vehicle displaying Melbourne Heart recruit Harry Kewell and Victory superstar Archie Thompson.

“I’d be surprised if the AFL saw this as ambush marketing,” said FFA Head of Corporate Affairs and Communications, Kyle Patterson. “We’re not in direct competition with the AFL anyway, they finish as we start.

“This is a sign that football is in the mainstream. We have a great story to tell and we’re not shy about telling it.

“The A-League season rolls into the FIFA World Cup in Brazil when millions of Aussie fans will get behind the Socceroos. We’re banging the drum to get everyone on board.”

The 2012 AFL Grand Final between Sydney and Hawthorn drew 99,683 spectators to the MCG. The game, won by the Swans, drew a national television audience of 4.05 million viewers – the highest posted by the AFL in six years. It was the most watched sporting event in Australia for 2012.

The FFA and the AFL have endured a rocky relationship over the years, most notably over the issue of stadium availability during football’s unsuccessful bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

The deployment of an FFA-sponsored promotional truck to the AFL’s showpiece event could further fray tensions. 

The FFA is hoping to build on the success of the breakthrough 2012-13 season A-League season with a sizeable promotional blitz before kick-off.

The Heart’s signing of Kewell after an unhappy stint with cross-town rivals Victory will be a key feature of the messaging in Victoria.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/ffa-risk-ire-of-afl-by-sending-promotional-a-league-truck-into-grand-final-precinct/story-e6frf4gl-1226728797667

Oh get fucked AFL, sorry that we want 15k people at every game, sorry is that too much to ask, are we gonna pollute all of your 4 million fans' minds with kicking round balls and not using your hands, a car with HK and Cuntie Thompson is gonna make the next grand final crowd 2k obviously . Jesus that gets me pissed off  :angry:

I would be surprised if they saw it as anything but ambush marketing. Of course they dont want us flogging our brand at their biggest event of the year, they are not stupid. Although we are not in direct competition with the AFL we are still their competition. If this convinces even one of their customers to shop elsewhere (even if it is during  their off season), that is one too many.

Thursday next week Thursday FC, a show about the A-League done in front of a live audience, will start on SBS 2 at 8:30pm. They are going to have a segment where Vince Colosimo, a Heart supporter, and Nick Giannopoulos, a supporter of the visitors, provide 'some friendly rival banter ahead of the Melbourne derby on the weekend':

Australia’s first football entertainment show, Thursday FC, launches on SBS 2 on Thursday 10 October showcasing the Hyundai A-League with a host of special guests, interviews and live music acts.

Hosts Matt OkineLucy Zelic and David Zdrilic will be joined in studio by Western Sydney Wanderers star Youssouf Hersi, who will test his ball skills against the Harlem Globetrotters, and Socceroos legend Ned Zelic will give his thoughts on the upcoming Hyundai A-League season.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO BE A PART OF THE STUDIO AUDIENCE

Players from Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets will stop by to preview their highly-anticipated opening round clash, which is LIVE on SBS 2 on Friday 11 October, while football die-hard and Melbourne Heart fan Vince Colosimo will join his partner-in-crime and Melbourne Victory supporter Nick Giannopoulos for some friendly rival banter ahead of the Melbourne derby on the weekend.

Hip hop group Justice Crew will launch its new single Everybody with an exclusive live performance, and Brisbane indie pop band Sheppard, which has just been announced as part of the Homebake line-up in Sydney, will also perform its single Hold My Tongue. Plus Thursday FC will launch its own house band, the new and energetic pop-rock group Cartoon.

Thursday FC premieres live 8:30pm Thursday 10 October on SBS 2 and will be also streamed online at The World Game website.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1168931/Thursday-FC-all-set-for-kick-off

Maybe its a typo and they mean simon?

Vince Colosimo is the first cousin of Simon Colosimo. Because Thursday FC is meant to be an entertaining and somewhat casual sports show, I think they want two actors/entertainers, Vince Colosimo and Nick Giannopoulos, to talk about the upcoming derby, and provide some 'rival banter'.

Thursday next week Thursday FC, a show about the A-League done in front of a live audience, will start on SBS 2 at 8:30pm. They are going to have a segment where Vince Colosimo, a Heart supporter, and Nick Giannopoulos, a supporter of the visitors, provide 'some friendly rival banter ahead of the Melbourne derby on the weekend':

Australia’s first football entertainment show, Thursday FC, launches on SBS 2 on Thursday 10 October showcasing the Hyundai A-League with a host of special guests, interviews and live music acts.

Hosts Matt Okine, Lucy Zelic and David Zdrilic will be joined in studio by Western Sydney Wanderers star Youssouf Hersi, who will test his ball skills against the Harlem Globetrotters, and Socceroos legend Ned Zelic will give his thoughts on the upcoming Hyundai A-League season.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO BE A PART OF THE STUDIO AUDIENCE

Players from Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets will stop by to preview their highly-anticipated opening round clash, which is LIVE on SBS 2 on Friday 11 October, while football die-hard and Melbourne Heart fan Vince Colosimo will join his partner-in-crime and Melbourne Victory supporter Nick Giannopoulos for some friendly rival banter ahead of the Melbourne derby on the weekend.

Hip hop group Justice Crew will launch its new single Everybody with an exclusive live performance, and Brisbane indie pop band Sheppard, which has just been announced as part of the Homebake line-up in Sydney, will also perform its single Hold My Tongue. Plus Thursday FC will launch its own house band, the new and energetic pop-rock group Cartoon.

Thursday FC premieres live 8:30pm Thursday 10 October on SBS 2 and will be also streamed online at The World Game website.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1168931/Thursday-FC-all-set-for-kick-off

Sounded like a decent show until the gay music segments. Justice crew suck

Heart have organised a good media blitz for tomorrow:

TUNE IN: SEN Membership Day

Wednesday, 2 October 2013 1:10 PM

A selection of Melbourne Heart FC players and coaches will be on all SEN radio shows tomorrow, giving the fans a unique insight before the new season.

Off-season recruit Patrick Kisnorbo will be on Morning Glory with Andy Maher and Tim Watson from 8.05am tomorrow morning to discuss his move to the Hyundai A-League, former goalkeeper Clint Bolton will be on Hungry for Sport with Kevin Bartlett, while Andrew Redmayne will speak on 'Harf Time' with Daniel Harford from 1.35pm.

Head Coach John Aloisi will feature on the Run Home, while Assistant Coach Hayden Foxe will have a chat on Evenings.

In addition, we will also hold a Twitter Q&A with Iain Ramsay at 2pm on the Official Melbourne Heart FC Twitter Account to discuss the upcoming season, along with David Lyon, General Manager Fan Engagement, who can answer any membership questions.

As part of the membership day, we are offering an amazing corporate box for one match to the person who Headhunts the most new members over the course of tomorrow.

Click here to start Head Hunting.

SEN Membership Day Schedule
8.05am - Patrick Kisnorbo on Morning Glory
10.05am - Clint Bolton on Hungry for Sport
1.35pm - Andrew Redmayne on Harf Time
4.25pm - John Aloisi on The Run Home
7.30pm - Hayden Foxe on Evenings

You can tune in to SEN 1116 online by clicking here.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/TUNE-IN-SEN-Membership-Day/76256

Edited by Murfy1

VPL grand final is going to be before the heart mariners game, will be interesting if SM qualify. 

Match Details
Saturday 19 October 2013
2013 Victorian Premier League Grand Final
TBC v TBC
AAMI Park, Melbourne
Kick-off: 1pm

Hyundai A-League Round 2
Melbourne Heart FC vs. Central Coast Mariners
AAMI Park, Melbourne
Kick-off: 5.30pm

Edited by Deluka

Oh get fucked AFL, sorry that we want 15k people at every game, sorry is that too much to ask, are we gonna pollute all of your 4 million fans' minds with kicking round balls and not using your hands, a car with HK and Cuntie Thompson is gonna make the next grand final crowd 2k obviously . Jesus that gets me pissed off  :angry:

What are you actually pissed off and angry about here?

VPL grand final is going to be before the heart mariners game, will be interesting if SM qualify. 

Match Details

Saturday 19 October 2013

TBC v TBC

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Hyundai A-League Round 2

AAMI Park, Melbourne

There's going to be a long gap between the games - around a couple of hours - so I don't think there will be many people there for both games. Knights are out, but SM might make it and will boost the overall crowd number if they do. But most, probably the vast majority, will leave some time after the GF finishes anyway.

Still, I'd say it has to be a win-win. Not sure how it works, but I imagine the VPL get to host the final at the best venue in the state at probably no cost to them, and the extra gate reciepts probably help us cover stadium costs, whether they stay to watch our game or not.

Match Details

Saturday 19 October 2013

TBC v TBC

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Hyundai A-League Round 2

AAMI Park, Melbourne

There's going to be a long gap between the games - around a couple of hours - so I don't think there will be many people there for both games. Knights are out, but SM might make it and will boost the overall crowd number if they do. But most, probably the vast majority, will leave some time after the GF finishes anyway.

Still, I'd say it has to be a win-win. Not sure how it works, but I imagine the VPL get to host the final at the best venue in the state at probably no cost to them, and the extra gate reciepts probably help us cover stadium costs, whether they stay to watch our game or not.

That is bizarre scheduling. 

I'd probably go early to see the VPL GF, but not sure i can stomach a 2.5 hour wait for the next game and i know my kids won't, thats for sure.  I thought the idea might have been to maximise the crowd and get supporters of VPL looking at the A League and vica versa, but with such a big break that would seem unlikely, so now it just seems plain weird.

Match Details

Saturday 19 October 2013

TBC v TBC

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Hyundai A-League Round 2

AAMI Park, Melbourne

That is bizarre scheduling. 

I'd probably go early to see the VPL GF, but not sure i can stomach a 2.5 hour wait for the next game and i know my kids won't, thats for sure.  I thought the idea might have been to maximise the crowd and get supporters of VPL looking at the A League and vica versa, but with such a big break that would seem unlikely, so now it just seems plain weird.

Last time, the VPL Final was after and everyone left since we just had a shit game against wellington reserves. I get why they have it early though, got to keep in mind it could go to extra time and penalties and then post game awards etc.... And then we have to warm up on the pitch as well afterwards.

Ill go to the game and just head to the city for a couple hours for lunch 

There must be some sort of reduction in the cost of hiring the venue in terms of cleaning up afterwards etc. Although in some respects there would be increased costs, such as security and AAMI Park staff for a longer period.

I can't see a whole lot of value in it for MHFC though.

Last year, spectators for the VPL Final were waiting for us to vacate our seats after the Heart game - this year, even if they stick around (which is debatable), some will have to move to allow Heart members into their reserved seats.

Heart star Harry Kewell declared a 'certain starter' for Melbourne derby

HARRY Kewell has been ­declared a certain starter against his former club, ensuring a spicy opening round Melbourne derby on Saturday

Exactly 18 months after last pulling on a Melbourne Victory shirt, Kewell is bound to get a frosty reception when he runs out in Melbourne Heart colours, with over 45,000 expected to pack Etihad Stadium.

And while coach John ­Aloisi has flirted with the idea of playing him up front in the absence of Heart’s only two recognised strikers, Kewell looks set to start as an attacking midfielder.

Kewell, who turned 35 a fortnight ago, missed Heart’s most recent friendly and the coaching staff erred on the side of caution by cancelling Friday’s intraclub match in favour of a training session.

Aloisi said Heart had managed Kewell carefully in the past week after a gruelling three-month pre-season.

“He’s good. We’ve been keeping a close eye on him and making sure he’s ready for not just Round 1 but the whole ­season,’’ Aloisi said.

“So we’ve kept an eye on his loading and at the moment we’re happy and expect he’ll be feeling fresh and sharp for Round 1.

“It’s difficult to say (if he will last 90 minutes) because we’re not sure what the pace is going to be. Usually the opening game and especially a derby is quite quick, so we’ll see how Harry’s going during the game.

“It might be that he doesn’t play 90, but we’ll put him out there looking at him playing 90 and we’ll make a decision as the game progresses.

“I haven’t made a final decision on where he’ll play but ­because he’s played most of his pre-season in the hole, I’ll think seriously about not changing it.

“But it could happen during the game where we change it up and put Harry up front, but I’m leaning towards keeping there.’’

With Michael Mifsud away representing Malta and Dylan Macallister injured, Golgol Mebrahtu is favourite to start up front, although David Williams impressed in his 45-minute stint as striker against Adelaide United 10 days ago.

“We know with the players we’ve got, David Williams, Golgol Mebrahtu, Harry, any of those can play up front,’’ Aloisi said. “They’ve played there in the past and they can all do a good job. They’re all a bit different and I’m sure whoever plays there will do the job we want.’’

CHANGE OF HEART

THE STRIKING OPTIONS

With Michael Mifsud and Dylan Macallister absent, Heart will have to start with a makeshift striker in Saturday’s derby against Victory.

THE FAVOURITE: Golgol Mebrahtu

Prefers playing more advanced or right wing but the lightning-quick Mebrahtu has been most often used as striker in pre-season games.

THE OUTSIDER: David Williams

Has played striker in the past and caused Adelaide United problems when switching there in the recent friendly, where he scored. But looks set to start left wing.

PLAN B: Harry Kewell

Kewell has played up front many times in recent years, including for the Socceroos. Will probably start just behind but could move there if things aren’t working

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/other-sports/heart-star-harry-kewell-declared-a-certain-starter-for-melbourne-derby/story-e6frf56c-1226733813731#ixzz2gwmABvkE