Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

Recruitment quality is also a function of the allocated budget for players too. Last season we didn't even fill the list or hit the salary cap

Last season the FFA didn't cover the full salary cap like they will this season (they received $1.9 million last season and will get about $2.5 million next season). To fill the salary cap last season would have required Heart to pay more out of pocket, and as I noted above Heart spent little during our 2nd and 3rd seasons, with our 3rd season being very austere and cheap.

Agree very much that recruitment quality is significantly influenced by the amount of money available, which is why I think JD did a pretty impressive job player wise last season, securing Gerhardt, Vrankovic, Golgol, Tadic and Garcia with very little money.

All this shows that you can have very good recruitment without having a very good and successful squad, if there are many constraints on the recruiting. So I think it must be said that JD has done well despite a number of constraints, in particular financial constraints.  

• Like 1

I agree. We don't spend money, we have shit facilities, and a novice coach. Yet we've attracted some fantastic young talent in particular (Good, Hamill, Babalj, Garuccio, Walker), and I think our squads have always been good. Losing JD would be massive. And not just in recruiting. He seems a much more knowledgable football person than anyone on the board or Scott Munn, and probably even most of our coaches. That's why he's being seriously considered for this position. I think he would be very very hard to replace. I've always felt that he's been the most important person in our whole organisation.

Seriously, look at what he could be doing:

"Should Didulica land the job, he will oversee the Socceroos, Olyroos, Young Socceroos, Joeys and Matildas, head up international relations and work closely with FFA’s technical director Han Berger on such matters as player and coaching pathways. He would also be responsible for liaising heavily with the FFA's state member federations."

As if we wouldn't miss someone qualified for that role.
Edited by Sash
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's a kind of inverse headline from Garcia. He basically said we were a shit small club with no ambition LOL. If only he knew the truth.

''When a club like Sydney comes knocking, you answer the door,'' Garcia said. ''I'm happy with my move here. It's a massive club with a massive ambition so that suits me down to a tee.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/new-strikers-keen-to-join-sydneys-race-back-to-top-20130902-2t10d.html#ixzz2dpchotL5

It's a kind of inverse headline from Garcia. He basically said we were a shit small club with no ambition LOL. If only he knew the truth.

''When a club like Sydney comes knocking, you answer the door,'' Garcia said. ''I'm happy with my move here. It's a massive club with a massive ambition so that suits me down to a tee.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/new-strikers-keen-to-join-sydneys-race-back-to-top-20130902-2t10d.html#ixzz2dpchotL5

What is "the truth"?

He fits in there with his massive ego. Suddenly the guy is top shit because he won the best player on a team that finished tied last. Overrated.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

On John Didulica, it looks like someone else got the FFA Head of National Teams job (according to SoccerStoppageTime). Apparently, FFA CEO David Gallop wanted a football person like Didulica or other candidate, but Frank Lowy intervened and gave the job to someone else.

So Didulica is staying, and we don't need to go looking for another General Manager (GM) of Football Operations, which is pretty good news, given how difficult it is to find people to fill such roles in Australia.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/09/05/4238800/brent-mcgrath-playing-for-melbourne-heart-deal

05/09/2013 12:41:00 PM

The free agent could find himself playing in red and white stripes next season, but only if he can impress the A-League club during the remainder of his trial period

Melbourne Heart could hand free agent Brent McGrath a contract for the 2013-14 A-League season, with John Aloisi impressed by the striker during his time on trial at the club.

McGrath, 22, has been training and playing with Heart in recent weeks following his release from Danish club Brondby at the end of last season.

Capped once by Australia at senior level, McGrath came on for the second half of Heart's 1-0 pre-season friendly win over Oakleigh Cannons on Wednesday, doing enough to draw praise from Aloisi.

"He's been with us now for about 10 days," the Heart coach said.

"He played a little bit against Brisbane. He's a striker that we've been following. He looks like a striker that, I think, has got a future. But we have to wait and see now what the situation is with contract talks."

McGrath replaced Dylan Macallister after the break against Oakleigh, offering an indication of his potential threat when he collected a hopeful long-ball from Harry Kewell, before beating a defender and testing the goalkeeper with a good shot from a tight angle.

"He didn't do too bad," Aloisi said.

"I still think that his fitness ... he hasn't come in great condition and I told him that about seven days ago. If he'd come in better condition it would have been easier for him to play. First of all you can see that he's got the talent. With Harry putting that through ball in and he made a chance out of half a chance and had a good shot.

"His finishing's great. In training his finishing is very good."

When pressed on whether or not Heart would be keen to sign him should the two parties agree terms, Aloisi said: "We'll be talking to him."

With marquee signing Orlando Engelaar likely to be ruled out until the start of 2014 at the earliest, Aloisi is considering potential solutions, and fielded Patrick Gerhardt - who played at centre-back last season - as a holding midfielder during the second half on Wednesday.

"It is an option and it's something that we're looking at," he said when asked about the prospect of Gerhardt finding himself further forward in the season ahead.

"At the moment we have to wait and see, when Robbie gets back, what we can do there," he added, referring to another injured new recruit, Dutch defender Robbie Wielaert.

"We first brought in Patrick to play in midfield. I didn't play him a lot there last year because he was solid at the back for us and I didn't think his fitness was good enough to play in midfield. Now we're trying to get his fitness levels up so if we have to put him in midfield we can.

"I like him in midfield. He's solid, he wins the ball and he's quite composed on the ball.

"He just has to get to know the way we want to play in midfield and our movement. That will happen with more games and training playing him in there."

Lol yes,

http://mobile.news.com.au/breaking-news/new-melbourne-heart-captain-harry-kewell-cant-wait-to-rub-victory-fans-up-the-wrong-way/story-e6frfkp9-1226711485585

New Melbourne Heart captain Harry Kewell can't wait to rub Victory fans up the wrong way

FOX SPORTS

September 05, 2013 1:59PM

IF there wasnt enough spice to the opening round Melbourne derby, new Heart skipper Harry Kewell has warned Victory fans that the angrier they get, the more it will fire him up on the pitch.

Kewell, named Heart skipper by John Aloisi on Wednesday, will lead his side out in the round one clash against his former club Victory on October 12 and cannot wait for a “special” clash to return to the A-League after his one year hiatus.

Please install the latest Flash player

“There’s nothing better as a player than playing in a derby,” Kewell told Fox Sports.

“And there's nothing better than playing in a derby that's the main blockbuster of a weekend.

“I can't wait personally; I think it's going to be something special.

“Whatever they say, whatever they do - only kind of builds me up to go even harder.

“It'll probably annoy me even more if they sit quiet.

“The more they chant, the more they get angry, I guess I know I'm rubbing them up the wrong way.”

Kewell will lead the Heart out against Ange Postecoglou’s side – the first time he’s been named club captain in his career.

“It was a massive honour (to be named captain),” Kewell said.

Please install the latest Flash player

“To be able to have this - it ticks one of the boxes on my bucket list.

“I’ve never had the opportunity to be a captain; had it fleetingly one week here or there but to be be captain of a club is massive honour.”

The Socceroos legend admits that pre-season has been gruelling for him, after playing just three club games for Al Gharafa in Qatar since leaving Victory.

“I started off a little bit slow, especially because I've been out for a while, but the last six weeks they've put me through the paces.

“I can even feel in myself I'm getting fitter and stronger each day now.”

Kewell believes the A-League is the perfect launchpad for him to challenge for a spot in the 2014 World Cup squad, while proving that he still has what it takes to compete.

“100 per cent (I’m aiming for Brazil)

“It's a massive tournament that the world stops and looks at.

"If I go there, yes I've played at three, but been a part of five, so it will be something special.”

With a full pre-season under his belt, Kewell says he will head into the new campaign with the same motivation that has driven his entire career.

“I have the same goals since I was 16 years old,” Kewell said.

“I want to go out there and prove to myself and everyone else I can mix it with the best. There's no better league, I reckon, at this moment in time, where I can go out and show that.”

Nothing set in stone, says Aloisi

David Davutovic    Herald Sun     September 06, 2013 12:00AM

JOHN Aloisi concedes there are more questions than answers a month out from Melbourne Hearts season opener but declared Harry Kewell will be "fully fit" for the October 12 derby.

Heart beat state league side Oakleigh Cannons in Wednesday night’s friendly thanks to a 75th minute header from defender David Vrankovic. 

With marquee midfielder Orlando Engleaar ruled out for at least four months Aloisi experimented by moving Patrick Gerhardt moved from defence to central midfield in the second half. 

Aloisi said he may look at signing a defender to release Gerhardt with only two spots left on the roster and an injury replacement slot available for Engelaar. 

"We’re not very close at all, it also depends on who we can bring in to replace Orlando and we’ve still got a few spots to fill," Aloisi said. 

"We spoke about Patrick last year. I think in certain games he can be good in there and he showed that he knows how to play there but he just needs to get his fitness levels up. 

"It could be that we get another defender in if we find the right one, if not we’ll see what’s out there. We are talking to a few people." 

Triallist Brent McGrath had a late chance but Aloisi has yet to decide whether the striker will be one of his final signings, but there is no doubt about Kewell’s status. 

"That was the second 90 minutes for Harry and I think we’ll play him in another three 90s (full games) so come round one I think Harry will be fully match fit," Aloisi said. 

"We’re looking at Harry as a number 10 but the beauty about Harry is that he can play anywhere in the front four and if he starts to roam a little, as long as someone takes up his position, that will come 

with the more the guys play together. 

"It was good to see him play and now we’ll sit back and now we have to make a decision on whether he’s the one we’ll sign as a striker or we look elsewhere," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/nothing-set-in-stone-says-aloisi/story-fnibbvjo-1226712339782

Edited by Murfy1

Aloisi said he may look at signing a defender to release Gerhardt with only two spots left on the roster and an injury replacement slot available for Engelaar. 

"We’re not very close at all, it also depends on who we can bring in to replace Orlando and we’ve still got a few spots to fill," Aloisi said. 

"We spoke about Patrick last year. I think in certain games he can be good in there and he showed that he knows how to play there but he just needs to get his fitness levels up. 

"It could be that we get another defender in if we find the right one, if not we’ll see what’s out there. We are talking to a few people." 

Triallist Brent McGrath had a late chance but Aloisi has yet to decide whether the striker will be one of his final signings...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/nothing-set-in-stone-says-aloisi/story-fnibbvjo-1226712339782

Not sure I understand this. What's he saying here - "Release Gerhardt"? Does he mean sign another defender to allow PG to play in midfield? Or release PG altogether?

Sloppy wording at best.

Edited by jw1739

Triallist Brent McGrath had a late chance but Aloisi has yet to decide whether the striker will be one of his final signings...

Not sure I understand this. What's he saying here - "Release Gerhardt"? Does he mean sign another defender to allow PG to play in midfield? Or release PG altogether?

Sloppy wording at best.

His wording is horrible. he means allow Gerhardt to play in the midfield

David Davutovic Herald Sun September 06, 2013 12:00AM

Sloppy wording at best.

His wording is horrible. he means allow Gerhardt to play in the midfield I am starting to think that to make finals the players are going to overcome the poor coaching they receive...

I also can't see Gerhardt being the type of DM we need as passing is not his greatest strength.

I was interested in the comment about McGrath and his fitness.  Not the first time I've heard stories like this and I always shake my head in wonder that someone who earns his living in this manner could rock up to a club for a trial in anything other than tip top condition.

Unless he's coming back from an injury it suggests a fair level of naivity.

Aloisi and Heart are doing a nice little media blitz at the moment. I saw the latest Harry Kewell Believe video on Fox Sports earlier today, and here's another interview with Aloisi (primarily about the Socceroos vs Brazil match):

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/john-aloisi-says-socceroos-will-be-nervous-but-brazil-friendly-will-be-great-experience-for-them/story-e6frf4l3-1226713234203#.UimxE9JkOeR

Interview with JA on TWG including an indication of some signing announcements.

Interesting that Aloisi said "we are still looking at bringing in a couple of experienced players". Also, it was good to see a clear answer to the question "So you are entitled to seek an injury replacement [for Engelaar] then. ”Yes, we will bring one in.” "

should be expecting something in the next week then

Not much consistency in these interviews. In one he's quoted as saying "We're not very close at all...", in the next as "...we should know more about this in the next couple of days."

It seems like it's a very fluid situation, with the club looking at a range of players, and trying quickly to determine what our best options would be. There's been talk of Heart getting a holding midfielder to directly replace Engelaar, or a defender to release Gerhardt into midfield. And now with the statement that Heart are looking to bring in "a couple of experienced players", we might even make both of those signings.

If it was mid-season, I'd be a bit more concerned about the standard of players we could sign. However, right now the transfer window has just closed in Europe, and there is still a decent number of quality players available, who are now even more keen to find a club. Heart seem determined to sure up our squad before the start of the season, and I think we could see a handy addition or two to the squad before the season starts (which are better than Coyne and Meeuwis).

• Like 2

I was interested in the comment about McGrath and his fitness.  Not the first time I've heard stories like this and I always shake my head in wonder that someone who earns his living in this manner could rock up to a club for a trial in anything other than tip top condition.

Unless he's coming back from an injury it suggests a fair level of naivity.

Maybe, but Aloisi makes the same comment about Gerhardt, a player who he's had under his direct control for a whole year.

Seeing McGrath at Oakleigh he looked to me to be carrying some excess bulk around the lower half of his body.

That said, it must be difficult coming out of contract after not having much game time for a whole season.

The aim for everyone's fitness on the team should be to be the very best in the league, you cant garuntee a trophy but this is one thing you can make sure of. And as a coach if you think that the position a player plays should determine the fitness level then you are joking yourself and should be sacked. So if JAs mentality is that a defender shouldn't be as fit as a midfielder or a striker doesnt have to be fitter than a midfielder then GTFO.

Tactical Triangles: Patrick Gerhardt crucial to Melbourne Heart's 'Plan B'

A contender to cover for Orlando Engelaar

By Michael Huguenin

07/09/2013 2:13:00 PM

In the first installment of a brand new feature, Michael Huguenin dissects Melbourne Heart's unconvincing 1-0 friendly win over Oakleigh Cannons

Melbourne Heart's third season in the A-League was a serious disappointment for the Red and Whites. In John Aloisi's first campaign as head coach, Heart lost more games than any other A-League club to finish second-to-last. Following the 2012-13 season, veterans Simon Colosimo, Matt Thompson and captain Fred were all let go as Aloisi set about restructuring his team to better control the midfield and score more goals.

In came Harry Kewell and marquee midfielder Orlando Engelaar but, in his first preseason match for Heart, the latter fractured his left leg, and Aloisi's grand plans for the 2013-14 campaign in the process. Engelaar was the player Heart had lacked since they joined the A-League; a dominant central midfielder, who could control a game both physically and skilfully. So what will Heart do now?

Wednesday night's friendly against Oakleigh Cannons provided the first glimpse of Aloisi's Plan B and based on a lacklustre 1-0 victory, Heart still have a lot of work to do ahead of the new season.

MIDFIELD MUST IMPROVE

The first half against Oakleigh underlined how few games recent arrivals Kewell and Massimo Murdocca have played with their new team-mates. Murdocca and Jonathan Germano started in defensive midfield with Kewell ahead of them, while Patrick Gerhardt and David Vrankovic anchored Heart's defence. There seemed to a lack of trust between the central defenders and holding midfielders, with Gerhardt and Vrankovic regularly declining to pass short into the feet of Murdocca and Germano.

With Murdocca and Germano struggling to find space, Kewell went looking for the ball and too often took possession between Heart's central defenders. The problem was two-fold. By not using Murdocca and Germano to bypass the first line of Oakleigh's defence, Heart's attacks were too slow. Plus, with Kewell regularly starting Heart's forward movements from the defensive half, the star attacker was unable to influence play in the final third.

At half-time, Aloisi pushed Gerhardt into midfield in place of Germano and the Liberian made a significant difference. Gerhardt's strength on the ball meant Heart's defenders seemed less worried about him losing possession and the 28-year-old became the primary outlet for the back four. With Gerhardt providing a solid short option, Murdocca started to find pockets a bit further forward and was able to turn and create with the likes of Kewell, Iain Ramsay, Mate Dugandzic and on-trial striker Brent McGrath.

WALKER TRUMPS HOFFMAN AS A RIGHT-BACK

Jason Hoffman's career has been a lesson in persistence. When first making a mark on the A-League with the Newcastle Jets in the 2007-08 season, he was considered a striker. By the end of his third campaign with his home-town club, Hoffman had scored two goals in 13 games.

When he joined Heart, Hoffman was labelled a winger but after just one campaign, was pushed further back to central midfield. This pre-season, Aloisi has started experimenting with Hoffman as a right full-back. But with Jeremy Walker having broken through last season as a genuine option on the right side of defence, Heart fans will be hoping Aloisi's experiment with Hoffman will not stunt 20-year-old Walker's development.

Based on his performance against Oakleigh, Hoffman is very uncomfortable at right-back. Typically, wingers who have been converted into full-backs love going forward and sometimes forget to defend. Hoffman played right-back in the first half against the Cannons and barely went over half-way, while the vast majority of his passes were back inside to Gerhardt in central defence. In contrast, Walker was arguably man of the match based on his second-half showing. The Tasmanian's pace from deep provided plenty of impetus into Heart's attacks, while his preferred passing options were either into midfield to try and overlap or up the line to his winger.

BRENT MCGRATH DESERVES A CONTRACT

Heart have lost their two leading goal-scorers from last season in Josip Tadic and Richard Garcia [six goals each] and Aloisi has just two options in his squad to lead the line at the moment, in Dylan Macallister [one goal last season] and Golgol Mebrahtu [four]. Aloisi desperately needs more options up front and former Brondby striker McGrath deserves to be one of them.

McGrath has been trialling with Heart for almost two weeks and his sharp movement and extra speed up front in the second half against Oakleigh underlined why he is worth the gamble for Aloisi.

While Macallister spent most of the first half backing into Oakleigh's defenders at the top of the penalty area, McGrath, introduced off the bench at half-time, was willing to drop into the hole, which stretched the Cannons' back four and created chances for Heart.

McGrath's movement often dragged a central defender out of Oakleigh's backline. The 22-year-old striker would come short to play a quick one-two with Kewell, who would then feed one of Heart's midfielders in the gap created by McGrath. At 184 centimetres, McGrath will not be bullied by the A-League's bigger defenders, while he is also much faster than Macallister. Late in the second half, a long pass by Kewell released McGrath down the right and he burst onto the ball, skipped past his defender and then had a driven shot tipped over the bar.

Looking Ahead

Melbourne Heart's next stop in pre-season will be Western Australia where they are set to play two games against Perth Glory. The first match will be held on September 11 in Inglewood, while the second is set for September 14 in Mandurah.

Clearly, Engelaar's injury has thrown a major spanner in the works for Aloisi but the second-year coach may have a ready-made replacement to anchor his midfield in Gerhardt. With Vrankovic more mature this season, Aloisi could play the young Australian alongside Dutchman Robbie Wielaert in the centre of defence with Gerhardt as the holding midfielder.

Hoffman's development as a right-back will be given an even stronger test against Perth as he will undoubtedly be required to defend more than he did against Oakleigh. If Hoffman does not improve quickly, expect Walker to be Heart's starting right-back come the Melbourne Derby in round one of the A-League.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2013/09/07/4244161/tactical-triangles-patrick-gerhardt-crucial-to-melbourne

Edited by Murfy1

I find it interesting that the author says that because Gerhardt was moved into midfield the defence felt more comfortable passing the ball to midfield with the reason being that the defence was more trusting in PG. To me it is more a case of removing the person who refused to pass out of defence and replace them with some one who is willing to.

• Like 3