Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

7 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Here's some hot sauce; Deal is done in principle nothing signed yet some formalities to sort out which could be stumbling blocks. If it goes through don't expect it this week as the city staff are away/no presser tomorrow and fixtures announced Thursday. 

Tabasco style

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd actually wear it! About time we came out from our humble beginnings and start giving shit back to people. We're a well financed club. Enjoy the ride. 

The amount of shit I've copped over the years - "only one team in Melbourne......", "love your trophy cabinet..." etc etc. It gets a bit tiring. The banter would be great and the concept has obviously come from a position of jealousy. I'd put that jealousy right back in their face.

One thing supporting this team has taught me - you gotta have a laugh!

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Expectations sky-high at A-League's City

5 OCT 2016

Melbourne City vice-chairman Simon Pearce says he "knows rather than believes" that success is coming to the club this A-League season.

Melbourne City have turned the expectation dial up to 11 on the eve of the A-League season, declaring the time right for a breakthrough success.

City are embracing their position as one of the favourites to win the league, which kicks off on Friday, after making good use of the embarrassment of riches at their disposal.

John van 't Schip has brought in nine players with international or title-winning experience, headed by Socceroos legend Tim Cahill.

It prompted a bold declaration by club vice-chairman Simon Pearce at the club's season launch on Tuesday night in Melbourne.

The influential Abu Dhabi-based executive said he "knows rather than believes success will come" to the club, who recorded their best finish - fourth - to an A-League season last year.

Pearce praised the coaching set-up and infrastructure on his visit to Australia, saying City had become "a world class football club".

It's the club's seventh season in the league but year three under the ownership of the mega-moneyed City Football Club.

In the past two years, City's W-League team claimed an emphatic title with a perfect season and the National Youth League side won their 2015 competition.

Given the investment, the club's hierarchy feel the time for a return is now and van 't Schip agrees.

The Dutchman said anything short of the club's first piece of silverware for the senior men's side would be a disappointment.

"We've been making good progression but still in that progression we missed trophies. This club is now ready," he told AAP.

"We have the team to achieve that. In saying that, it's about hard work."

City are two wins away from the 2016 FFA Cup, having drawn cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory in the semi-final of the competition, and van 't Schip is eyeing it off.

"The first one we can do that is the FFA Cup and we more than understand - it's important to the players, its important to the fans, it's important to win silverware this year," he said.

Of course, with expectation comes pressure.

Van 't Schip, in the final year of a contract with the club, suggested he knew the ramifications of falling short of the club's lofty aims.

"I understand how things work," he said.

"We've reached some goals in the way of how we're playing. Last year, we had very good games, very entertaining.

"We also knew we were vulnerable in the way we defended as a team.

"The players that we've brought in, I'm confident we will be there until the end."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/05/expectations-sky-high-leagues-city

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Dylan said:

He hasn't been far off so far?

Wasnt he the one that said Cahill was causing a load of problems within the squad? As well as a whole heap of other things i cant remeber but they didn't happen? Dont get me wrong i would love for jvs to leave for "family reasons" again but i cant see it happening

Edited by KSK_47

In theory, they could be lazy and just promote Joe Montemurro.....but then they'd need a new head coach for the W-League side (they do have him as an assistant for the A-League side this year as well); and I don't know if he would be considered to have enough relevant experience for the role....

9 hours ago, ecguymer said:

In theory, they could be lazy and just promote Joe Montemurro.....but then they'd need a new head coach for the W-League side (they do have him as an assistant for the A-League side this year as well); and I don't know if he would be considered to have enough relevant experience for the role....

Why not, they promoted Aloisi to head coach with no experience LOL.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:08 PM, Murfy1 said:

Expectations sky-high at A-League's City

IMO going forward this is going to be one of the major issues that the club is going to have to deal with - the weight of expectation. Being Melbourne Heart was pretty much a case of nobody expecting too much, but being Melbourne City and part of City Football Group is going to put pressure on everyone connected to the club - from the players on the field right through to the back-office staff, and even on to the behaviour of City fans. Everything everyone does will be expected to be the best.

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO going forward this is going to be one of the major issues that the club is going to have to deal with - the weight of expectation. Being Melbourne Heart was pretty much a case of nobody expecting too much, but being Melbourne City and part of City Football Group is going to put pressure on everyone connected to the club - from the players on the field right through to the back-office staff, and even on to the behaviour of City fans. Everything everyone does will be expected to be the best.

We're the best fans.  Next.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Good! Having low expectations theoretically could be good because it gives people the freedom to try things without fear, or operate under the radar, but in practice it seemed to mean we took more of a 'there or thereabouts' approach.