Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Ronaldinho will bring the crowds and the bling tags. Will provide flashes of brilliance and would probably win us a few games off his own boot. He'd be our Del Piero only better in pretty much every way. I'd have concerns about his motives and attitude if he were to sign for us though.

Koren will bring leadership, class and will really strengthen our midfield. I'd also wager he'd be a hell of a lot more committed to the cause than Ronaldinho. This by extension wins us games and trophies which will bring the crowds in anyway. Our Shinji Ono.

Koren for me any day of the week, but I'd still be stoked with Ronaldinho. Would be interested to see that in the circumstance that we had a choice between the two who we'd go with as it'd really show what the club is about.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 6

Good point jimmy. If the club sticks to whats it's said it wants in a marquee, then Koren will be it. A big player that will become a big name. I think that Koren will be a better marquee but it's just so hard to not want ronaldinho as our marquee. Would be wrapped either way though

• Like 1

Agree with a lot of what's been said.

The way I see it, we already have 1 superstar footballer in Villa who doesn't seem thrilled to be playing for us next season. We shouldn't have to have important players that aren't seriously keen about playing more our club. Our big signings should be enthusiastic and down for the cause, like Duff is (he has said all the right things and he overlooked numerous other options to join us). And I expect Koren or whoever our international marquee ends up being to also be enthusiastic about playing for Melbourne City as well.

I also don't think Ronaldinho would ultimately play for more than 1 season, which our marquee should do. Either because of his physical condition or his whimsical relationship with clubs in recent years, which saw him join Flamengo in Jan 2011 on a contract until 2014, but he cancelled his contract in May 2012 after a pay dispute, and him leaving Atletico Mineiro last week after he only signed a new contract for the club in January this year.

We already will have easily the biggest star to play in the league next season in David Villa, so I don't think we need to sign a player like Ronaldinho because of his high profile. Also there's still a slight chance we might get Lampard on loan, and if we bring anymore football stardom into the team I reckon it should be him.

And there's a football reason why I'd prefer Koren over Ronaldinho. I don't think Ronaldinho would be a very mobile midfielder (despite the class he'd bring to the role), and already I've seen the coaches emphasise movement and mobility in our style of play, and I think our midfielders like Mooy, Murdocca, Germano and our marquee will be expected to have a high workrate, and help out in both defence and attack, to ensure we play energetic and exciting football.

So a player like Koren is the way to go. Someone who's keen to play for the club, will play for multiple seasons and complements the way the team wants to play. And I just don't think Ronaldinho would be a player like that.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Koren is arriving on the weekend...

And how do you know this?

I don't reveal my dead horses mate, just trust my track record.

I think what most of us are wondering is why you are bothering to research heart recruitment when you SHOULD be updating your hot chicks thread.

Fair call

Koren is arriving on the weekend...

And how do you know this?

I don't reveal my dead horses mate, just trust my track record.

I think what most of us are wondering is why you are bothering to research heart recruitment when you SHOULD be updating your hot chicks thread.

Spot on

NY Red Bulls would be in need of a big signing to combat the threat from a cashed up NYCFC.

Would be a good fit for them.

Just goes to show though the amount of cash in the game in the US that is being invested. In comparison, we are a long way behind, but that's to be expected given our market size.

Sources: Ronaldinho not joining Red Bulls – or MLS
Ronaldinho-AC-Milan.jpg

IMAGE, MLSSOCCER.COM

Despite a plethora of reports to the contrary, legendary Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho will not be donning a New York Red Bull uniform — or that of any other MLS side for that matter.

Sources tell EOS that the 34-year-old enganche was never seriously considered for the Red Bulls. While team officials did meet with representatives from Ronaldinho’s camp in Brazil during the World Cup, the discussions were of an amicable nature and never involved the possibility of bringing the Miniero midfielder to New York.

The topic, sources tell us, was never even broached.

Ronaldinho’s agents did contact MLS about a possible move. However, monetary concerns and a general lack of interest or funds from big money clubs quickly quelled that momentum.

The endless waves of reports linking Ronaldinho to New York is likely a consequence of an internet echo chamber following a Goal.com piece first establishing contact between the Red Bulls and Ronaldinho. The Brazilian legend has been a target of MLS for years, but neither have been able to find common ground in that time.

A league source says his “gut feeling” is Ronaldinho joins either newly promoted Premiership side, Queens Park Rangers or Boca Juniors of the Argentine Primera. The 34-year-old playmaker has also been linked to Fluminense and the A-League as well.

According to his agent, Ronaldinho will reveal his future destination this Wednesday.

• 11 months later...