Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

A-LEAGUE clubs have already made moves to bring World Cup winner Ronaldinho to Australia, Manchester United’s Arutro Vidal pursuit is all but dead and Liverpool continues its chase for a Luis Suarez replacement. This is Rumour Mill.

Aussie clubs chasing Ronaldinho

Brazil World Cup winner Ronaldinho is on the market and A-League clubs have already shown interest in bringing him Down Under.

The former Barcelona superstar - a two time FIFA World Player of the Year - parted company with Brazilian club Atletico Mineiro overnight, prompting interest from clubs around the world, including Australia.

Player agent Lou Sticca - the man who helped bring Alessandro Del Piero to Sydney FC - confirmed the wheels have already been put in motion to lure the 34 year old to Australia.

“Some calls have already been made and now it’s up to A-League clubs to make a play for him,” Sticca told foxsports.com.au.

“Anything’s possible and he’s exactly the sort we should be bringing here.”

Ronaldhino provided plenty of magic moments in his two years in Brazil, and the likes of Argentina giants Boca Juniors, Fluminense and an unidentified MLS side are eager to sign him.

698194-4bb27886-16c5-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Moves have already been made by A-League clubs to bring Ronaldinho to Australia. Source: Getty Images

But Sticca says the Australian lifestyle could appeal to the Samba star.

“It would be a new frontier, he’d love lifestyle and the way fans would respect him,” he said.

“He’s globally recognisable and an entertainer.

698248-aee9899a-16c9-11e4-85ab-b94874755

Ronaldinho of Brazil is the latest superstar linked to a move Down Under. Source: Getty Images

A host of A-League clubs - including Sydney FC, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers - are yet to sign international marquees for the 2014-2015 season, though City is expected to announce the arrival of Robert Koren in the coming weeks.

Sticca admits it will be tough - but not impossible - for an Australian side to secure Ronaldinho.

“He’s got a raft of representation, layer upon layer. It’s difficult to get to his decision maker and take it from there, but there’s definitely Australian interest,” he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/premier-league/rumour-mill-aleague-clubs-keen-on-free-agent-ronaldinho-vidal-united-deal-all-but-dead/story-fnko94ia-1227005698724

Thursday 10:30

• Like 2

I'd be massively surprised if he was coming here, I don't think it's a likely signing.

Agreed. IMO we've settled on Koren and it's just a matter of concluding it all.

At this stage I'm settled on Koren too, we have David Villa for starpower.

The question is, what would Ronaldinho bring to the table if he were picked to be our marquee?

Sure, he was one of the most sublime midfielders of the past 10-15 years, but what would he bring to the table next season? In 2011 and 2012 he player 40 matches each year (and played about 4000 minutes each season), then in 2013 he played about 20 matches, and a bit less than 2000 minutes, and this year he's only featured in 15 matches, totaling a little over 1000 minutes. So there's been a pretty steep decline with his playing minutes. And pretty much since 2010 the Brazilian national team has stopped selecting him (he's played several games for Brazil in the past 5 years, all friendlies)

Also, Ronaldinho has struggled with injuries lately, missing roughly 3 months of football in 2013. And it's not clear what sort of shape he's in now.

And lastly you have to wonder why Atletico Mineiro agreed to terminate his contract only a few months after the club and Ronaldinho signed a new contract in January this year. Signing a player like Koren may not be as exciting, but "he's still in wonderful nick for his age", as his Hull City coach Steve Bruce said earlier this year, and together with a history of club loyalty, by all accounts a very good attitude and his demonstrated history of leadership qualities, Koren could well bring more to the table than Ronaldinho in his current state.   

• Like 1

JVS would love him.

Only way we could make it work (assuming Koren is getting paid a bit).

Is to make Ronaldinho marquee for 1 or 2 seasons outside the cap.  Then promise Koren a big payday for his marquee year once Ronaldinho is done. 

Maybe NYCFC or Man City could buy Ronaldinho or Koren and loan him to us.

Or something similar, which I don't see could happen in reality.

Ultimately I think he's probably after 3 times + the amount of money we'd be willing to give him.

What are the chances we could have Koren under the cap and Ronalhdinho as the marquee?

We got Duff under the cap and from what ive heard, Koren wasnt on rediculous wages previously so i can see this as a possibility.

Probably being a greedy bastard now lol

What are the chances we could have Koren under the cap and Ronalhdinho as the marquee?

We got Duff under the cap and from what ive heard, Koren wasnt on rediculous wages previously so i can see this as a possibility.

As Murfy1 alluded to is he really worth the marquee position, yes he would be a crowed drawer but is he as fit as we would like him to be, plus we really need to find an alternative for a striker, once villa leaves we have williams and that is about it.

As Murfy1 alluded to is he really worth the marquee position, yes he would be a crowed drawer but is he as fit as we would like him to be, plus we really need to find an alternative for a striker, once villa leaves we have williams and that is about it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) there are no real similarities between Duff and Koren other than they both played for EPL teams last season. Duff had a bad injury that kept him from playing from half of last season, and he'll turn 36 towards the end of the upcoming A-League season, so understandably he was looking at playing in Australia (where 3 other A-League clubs were interested in him besides us) and the USA.

Koren on the other hand will turn 34 just before the season starts, and "He's still in wonderful nick for his age", as Hull City coach Steve Bruce said earlier this year. Further, it's been reported earlier this year that "It is understood a host of Championship clubs have already declared an interest in the Slovenian", some of those clubs seemingly including Millwall, Brighton and Huddersfield Town. So with his CV, his fitness and so much Championship interest, Koren is worth significantly more than Duff, and if Koren stayed in England and joined a Championship club he'd easily be on what's considered here 'marquee wages'.  

Ronaldinho has "final paycheck" written all over him IMO, as JW said. Dare I say it, but I fear Ronaldinho would turn out to be a poor stunt like Adelaide's Romario experiment. So IMO going for a proven player (still) with substance like Koren is definitely the way to go.      

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Whoever it is that we want to sign I would say that the club will have to get a shuffle on and finalise its remaining signings soon - and also precisely what it is going to do with David Villa. It takes time for overseas-based players to get here - especially if they have a family - and then to get ready for the start of our season.

Whoever it is that we want to sign I would say that the club will have to get a shuffle on and finalise its remaining signings soon - and also precisely what it is going to do with David Villa. It takes time for overseas-based players to get here - especially if they have a family - and then to get ready for the start of our season.

There was an article by Matt Windley I think who asked JVS this and JVS said that Villa must be match fit before the start of the season. So if thats true I think late august/early september then he has a month to get up to match fitness.