Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Tbh, I'd almost be happier with Troisi over Kennedy simply because of their ages etc.

Too much bias attached with age.

Kennedy could be likely to spend the rest of his career here, which could be 4+ seasons. Troisi wouldn't.

• Like 1

Tbh, I'd almost be happier with Troisi over Kennedy simply because of their ages etc.

Too much bias attached with age.

Kennedy could be likely to spend the rest of his career here, which could be 4+ seasons. Troisi wouldn't.

True, I'm just more concerned about Kennedy's potential injury problems more than anything else, tbh.

Why would he be dumb to stay in Australia? 

Before he moved to the A-League he was an outer-fringe player and now he's gotten a call-up to the World Cup squad and even managed to play 50 odd minutes in the tournament, not sure why he'd jeopardise that unless he's certain he'll get regular game time overseas in Europe to further develop his career. 

Ange has already made it very clear that he prioritises form and game time above reputation alone (with few exceptions) and isn't afraid to pick A-League players unlike previous coaches of the national team but hey, maybe he has different career objectives and goals.

Not sure if this might effect us.

Reports are emerging from Spanish media, to be specific originally from Catalunya Radio (the main radio network of Catalonia), that Xavi will join NYCFC, apparently within the next few days.

If it were true I'd say it was unlikely they'd also sign Lampard. Which would mean Lampard would either come to us as our Int. marquee for the whole season, or not at all.

yeah I think lampard has fallen through. Although doesnt the mls allow 3 marquees?

If the Lampard deal had fallen through there would probably be rumours to that effect, especially since he has to sign for someone so there would almost certainly be another club taking over prime position.

I still reckon it's going cold because he's said he'll sign "once I get back from holiday", but since he went to the World Cup I don't think he's due back in England for another week or so. That's just speculation, however.

Edited by Falastur

yeah I think lampard has fallen through. Although doesnt the mls allow 3 marquees?

If the Lampard deal had fallen through there would probably be rumours to that effect, especially since he has to sign for someone so there would almost certainly be another club taking over prime position.

I still reckon it's going cold because he's said he'll sign "once I get back from holiday", but since he went to the World Cup I don't think he's due back in England for another week or so. That's just speculation, however.

The club is playing it well, like you said if it had fallen through no doubt some media source would be right on it

I still think its Lampard's fiancee and access to his children that counts against him moving too far away from the UK, and with the Spanish/Barcelona connections I'd guess that Xavi will make up his mind quicker than Lampard.

No doubt we'd be over the moon if we see either of them in a Melbourne City jersey.

Courtesy of the Daily Mail:

Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernandez is poised to announce his decision to join New York City this week.

Following months of uncertainty over the Spanish international’s future, the Barca icon has decided to follow David Villa and Frank Lampard to the Manchester City-owned franchise.

The question that remains is where he spends his time between now and next March when training begins. Lampard and Villa are already heading to Melbourne City but Xavi has also had Achilles problems and needs rest first.

In a report from Spanish sports daily, Sport, Barcelona and Xavi’s agent are working hard to finalise the move before the player is scheduled to rejoin the club on Thursday.

The only remaining details are the transfer fee and scheduling a testimonial. The 34-year-old has spoken to manager Luis Enrique and is expected to issue a statement in the coming days.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2700033/TRANSFER-NEWS-COLUMN-Liverpool-interested-Karim-Benzema-Wilfried-Bony-attracts-Lekhwiya.html

Edited by Murfy1

Who's left?

Be disappointing if we ended up with an international marquee less than the Del Piero, Fowler, Heskey profile and ability.

Also we should have an idea of our Australian marquee by now.  My thinking is that it's a WC player and they're having some time off before being announced and start training.  Either that or it's Kennedy and we'll wait til end of year to get him from J-League.

It might well be that we don't get a full-season international marquee this time around if we're trying hard to accommodate NYC players until the 2015 MLS pre-season. This may be a transition period while both Melbourne and New York Cities settle down a bit?

• Like 1