Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

It's pretty tough to guess who the international marquee will be. Especially as free agents tend to be the star players that decide to go to non-European leagues, as seen with Villa and (probably) Lampard going to NYCFC, and ADP going to Sydney FC shows, and there are precious few very good free agents. I'm not saying that only free agent marquees go abroad, but from what I've seen they tend to go to leagues like the A-League more often than contracted star footballers.

I reckon the international marquee will be a creative/attacking midfielder. Our club's vacant number 10 jersey is crying out for a class midfielder. And I reckon Joshua Kennedy will replace David Villa when he's gone, and hopefully we get Frank Lampard and an international marquee midfielder can replace him when he leaves as well (to the extent that a player like Lampard can be replaced).

After Lampard it's actually pretty hard to think of ideal marquees who are free agents. Free agent Orlando Engelaar starts to look like an intriguing possibility, if no other especially good options for the international marquee present themselves.

One pretty interesting option is La Liga midfielder Joan Verdu, who only recently turned 31, who spent about 10 years at Barcelona (where he largely played in their youth team and reserve team, where he was highly rated), has played 250 games in La Liga, was the captain at Espanyol, has been one of the main midfielders in the Catalan national team (alongside Xavi and Busquets), has a respectable goal scoring record (for a midfielder), has very respectable passing & goal creating statistics, and has been largely injury free recently and throughout his career.

And BTW he's only a free agent because he made an unwise decision to sign a 4 year contract with La Liga small-team Real Betis at the start of last season, and after they were relegated at the end of last season Verdu activated his release clause (where he could terminate his contract if Betis got relegated). 

And then there's contracted players.  

I still think ideal options are:

- Van der Vaart, 31, contracted for 1 more year. Recently a Hamburg boss said it would be ideal if VDV was sold, however VDV (who's the captain) said he's keen to stay

- Kim Kallstrom, 31, contracted for 1 more year 

- Alberto Aquilani, 29, contracted for 1 more year

- Mikel Arteta, 32, contracted for 1 more year. He seems eager to stay at Arsenal, although nothing's certain in football

Maybe

- Niko Kranjcar, 29, contracted for 2 more years

- Charlie Adam, 28, contracted for 2 more years

Anyone else stand out?

As much as I loathe the idea of only having 2 NYCFC loan players for the first half/most of next season, it might be worthwhile to wait for the January transfer window, and to try and land a real big marquee like Van der Vaart or Mikel Arteta then.

Anyway that's all I can come up with. Perhaps the club has a surprise in store, though.

Although I'm expecting to hear on Monday that Lampard is signing with New York City and will be coming on loan to Melbourne City, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they come out and surprise us all with an announcement that he's our international marquee for the entire season. 

More hopeful than expecting but up to this point we've been dealing with rumours and so anything could happen. 

Rosicky may be available, not surr if he signed a contract. But he could probably move anywhere he wants. Adebeyor may be shunted out of spurs and I am not sure what is up with the Berb. I think he is on loan to Monaco and contracted to Fulham.

Dirk kuyt?

From what I've heard Adebeyor is well and truly in the mix at Spurs. In any case, would we really want someone with his attitude, as well as Berbatov? I know the A League is no PL, but the guy can act like a real child if he's not happy, and as a result be totally invisible on field!

Rosicky had his best season at Arsenal last season. With the injuries to Ramsey, Wilshere & Diaby he spent a lot of his time in the middle of the park instead of being played as a winger. His workrate is second to none and he still has the skill to open up defences.

Unfortunately for us he renewed his contract late in the season.

There´s not a chance in a million that Txiki would ok signing a player like Adebayor or Anelka... When he arrived it didn´t took him long to make a list of players and coaches that was soon to be history, all people with issues.
Like Tevez, and Kolo for instance.

As a Arsenal fan Adebayor can go fuck himself

As a Spurs fan Adebeyor can go fuck himself........................... Most of the time.

As a city fan Adebeyor can go fuck him self, except for when he celebrated in front of the arsenal fans

As an arsenal fan, you can........

Ya get the picture.

Drogba is also a bit of a headcase, as is lampard.

And i would much prefer Rosicky to Totti. Rosicky was amazing last season for the gunners. Didn't look a day over 27

• Like 1

As a Spurs fan Adebeyor can go fuck himself........................... Most of the time. As a city fan Adebeyor can go fuck him self, except for when he celebrated in front of the arsenal fans

Ya get the picture.

And i would much prefer Rosicky to Totti. Rosicky was amazing last season for the gunners. Didn't look a day over 27

What makes Lampard a headcase? Seems pretty humble for a footballer to me.

Eduardo da Silva would be a good get IMO. At 31 he's young enough to get 2-4 seasons out of him. Cheap enough not to cost the bank but good enough to make an impact in the A-league. 

Really not physically capable enough to make a huge impact in the A-League IMO. Doesn't have the work rate either.

As a Spurs fan Adebeyor can go fuck himself........................... Most of the time. As a city fan Adebeyor can go fuck him self, except for when he celebrated in front of the arsenal fans

Ya get the picture.

What makes Lampard a headcase? Seems pretty humble for a footballer to me.

He's like a genius-level IQ as well, isn't he? I always thought he seemed to be a bit of a voice of reason around a bunch of shit blokes on the field (still got vivid memories of Drogba nearly bursting into tears when they wouldn't let him take a penalty - he wasn't the designated man - that would have given him the top goalscorer or something one year) and off the field (John Terry, for one).

I thought they found monkeys and tested how receptive they are to right wing stories. Then trained them in tabliod, sensationalist journalism

It's less complex than that.

Their journalistic moto is

"never let the truth get in a way of a good story"

I thought they found monkeys and tested how receptive they are to right wing stories. Then trained them in tabliod, sensationalist journalism

It's less complex than that.

Their journalistic moto is

"never let the truth get in a way of a good story"

Remember for that brief moment when they printed "Stories start here" next to their name on the front page? Yes, yes they do!!!

And they then run it past a "Council of the Willing" who meet in a underground liar which is made up of Tony Abbott, Cardinal Pell, The ALP Right, Gillon McLachlan and Frank Lowy before it is published. :rolleyes:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

We still need an international marquee of similar calibre for 2 years.

Villa and Lampard are icing on the cake as 10 game players to signal the new era, like an opening ceremony.

Then we still need to sort out our DM and full backs.  But knowing JVS it may not happen.

i know he is only guest but im pretty sure lampard has been playing as a DM. not to mention mooy was tried there against ballarat

Not having a dig at anyone here but i just find it funny that "Lampard and Ballarat" were mentioned in the same sentance.

It's like last season Galls in Albury lol...

Ahh how times have changed.

Carry on...

We still need an international marquee of similar calibre for 2 years.

Villa and Lampard are icing on the cake as 10 game players to signal the new era, like an opening ceremony.

Then we still need to sort out our DM and full backs.  But knowing JVS it may not happen.

i know he is only guest but im pretty sure lampard has been playing as a DM. not to mention mooy was tried there against ballarat

Not having a dig at anyone here but i just find it funny that "Lampard and Ballarat" were mentioned in the same sentance.

It's like last season Galls in Albury lol...

Ahh how times have changed.

Carry on...

They were mentioned in two separate sentences. A 'full-stop' or 'period' is the punctuation mark that is placed at the end of a sentence, as seen above.

Carry on...