Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Final figures after tonight's match:

Home attendances, excluding home derbies and "regional" matches.

2010-11: 13 matches, average 6,059.

2011-12: 11 matches, average 6,473.

2012-13: 12 matches, average 7,077.

2013-14: 11 matches, average 7,255.

That's a sorry set of stats. I wonder what the membership churn has been. Large I bet

13 games at AAMI park this season produced a total of 131,841 fans.

An AVE of 10,141 people per game.

Great result considering the horror season results wise.

For next season

> Make GA memberships cheapest by a LONG way in the league
> Reduce the price of gate tickets 

These MUST be done which will be the BIGGEST factor for our growth as a supporter base

13 games at AAMI park this season produced a total of 131,841 fans.

An AVE of 10,141 people per game.

Great result considering the horror season results wise.

For next season

> Make GA memberships cheapest by a LONG way in the league

> Reduce the price of gate tickets 

These MUST be done which will be the BIGGEST factor for our growth as a supporter base

Success on the field is way more important. 

13 games at AAMI park this season produced a total of 131,841 fans. An AVE of 10,141 people per game. Great result considering the horror season results wise. For next season > Make GA memberships cheapest by a LONG way in the league > Reduce the price of gate tickets These MUST be done which will be the BIGGEST factor for our growth as a supporter base Success on the field is way more important. It is important but it is fake supporter base. To grow supporter base reduce costs

I don't care whether the punters clicking the turnstiles are fake, plastic, genuine, or bolted-on hopeless cases.

Getting them through the turnstiles is good enough.

So do both. Make season-tickets cheaper and improve the football.

Win-win (literally).

That's a sorry set of stats. I wonder what the membership churn has been. Large I bet

Actually I consider that an amazing set of stats.  We added on the crowd from last year, despite being so terrible on the field for most of it.

Shows we* have a solid base and a "fringe group" of people who'd like to come to  games if only they could be given a football reason.  That base isn't big though, so important to keep what they/we have and not treat us like the proverable.

* let's hope it is "we"

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

For those interested in the statistics...yesterday's match against Brisbane was our 18th Saturday home non-derby match, and drew the second highest crowd (9,561) of those matches, the highest being against Western Sydney on 12th April 2014 (10,003).

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

For those interested in the statistics...yesterday's match against Brisbane was our 18th home non-derby match, and drew the second highest crowd (9,561) of those matches, the highest being against Western Sydney on 12th April 2014 (10,003).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 18th home non-derby match...and I read it a couple of times...is there a punctuation or word missing in there somewhere?

• Like 1

For those interested in the statistics...yesterday's match against Brisbane was our 18th home non-derby match, and drew the second highest crowd (9,561) of those matches, the highest being against Western Sydney on 12th April 2014 (10,003).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the 18th home non-derby match...and I read it a couple of times...is there a punctuation or word missing in there somewhere?

Humble grovellings! Thanks for picking that up - I've edited the original post - 18th Saturday match over the 5 seasons.

And what is our average for this season so far. Until we get over 10,000 on a regular basis I don't think we have "made it"

9,288 for all home non-derby matches. Includes the two "David Villa matches."

I'll give a full wrap of the five seasons after the last home game against WSW. Just been checking the spreadsheet that I have and tidying it up.

Edited by jw1739

And what is our average for this season so far. Until we get over 10,000 on a regular basis I don't think we have "made it"

I'll give a full wrap of the five seasons after the last home game against WSW. Just been checking the spreadsheet that I have and tidying it up. Thanks JW. Wow. That's a massive increase, however you alluded to the fact that the Villa games have probably distorted the numbers a bit. When you give us the final stats how about two numbers ie one including the Villa games and one without.

IMO, I don't think we've made it until we start getting a big enough average where the top deck is open every home game.

We won't even know that we are heading in the right direction un till the attendance at the end of the season is higher than it was at the start. A promising start this season with 16,000 that shows the potential for the franchise, the current attendances shows CFG how much they still have to do to even get that trend moving in the right direction

IMO, I don't think we've made it until we start getting a big enough average where the top deck is open every home game.

I wont think we have made it until I cant lay across the 4 seats next to my reserved seat every home game :up:

I'll give a full wrap of the five seasons after the last home game against WSW. Just been checking the spreadsheet that I have and tidying it up. Thanks JW. Wow. That's a massive increase, however you alluded to the fact that the Villa games have probably distorted the numbers a bit. When you give us the final stats how about two numbers ie one including the Villa games and one without.

I'll try to remember to do that. If I forget, feel free to remind me after I post! But at this stage, without those two matches in the calculations, the average is 8,152.

But IMO we have to be careful about excluding too many matches because of  what we might call "unusual circumstances." If we exclude the David Villa factor we really ought to exclude the ADP match in 2012/13. All sorts of factors influence attendance at a particular match - who can forget S1 and S2 when it seemed to rain every bloody match day - interruptions to train and tram services, day of the week, KO time, conflicting events (Grand Prix, cricket etc.), who we're playing, our ladder position - the list goes on.

But anyway, I'll put up the figures after the Wellington match and people can draw their own conclusions. Overall what they tell us is that there has been steady growth from the inception of our beloved Melbourne Heart, despite all the naysayers and despite all our ups and downs (mostly the latter).

I wont think we have made it until I cant lay across the 4 seats next to my reserved seat every home game :up:

When there's more Red&White and maybe a touch of blue compared to green.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's attendance is about all I was expecting.

Sunday night matches at this time of year are a hard sell, especially when you consider a big AFL match was on across the road.

It appears we do need star power to get crowds. We need to do the bold moves to get attention, just as Villa was for us. That hype was worth a considerable premium on our usual media attention and general public attendance.

We didn't make the most of that this time though. We continued on our underperforming ways and then the debacle around his shirt stay took a lot of oxygen from any momentum we could have gained.

Edited by Heart_fan

I have been saying before city even kicked a ball. To get people excited about this club we need to give them something they have not seen before. Mid table, boring games and "name" signings. We've seen all this before and it's not particularly engaging.

Yep, it's the reality in the face of MV's solid market position and the general nature of our competitive sporting landscape in this city.

Agree, Melbourne City needs something to make the Melbourne public stand up and take notice. The main options are:

- Regular success. Not being between 5th and 10th (where Melbourne Heart always ended up), but being between 4th and 1st all season. 'Nothing succeeds like success', so if the club could regularly win I believe that alone would ensure healthy 5 digit crowds

AND/OR

- Star power. As Villa showed (and ADP too), bring over some star power and the crowds will come. Was the first home game with Villa the first (non-derby) time the club has opened the top level at AAMI? Anyway, if CFG sign a real name player to Melbourne City, then I'm pretty confident that the top level will be open regularly.

I'd personally prefer that the club tried first and foremost to nail down success by creating a winning team. Signing a star player can be disruptive, as ADP showed at Sydney FC. But at the same time I think both, regular success and star power, can be obtained if CFG gets its management of Melbourne City spot on.

Above all CFG need to ensure that next season a whole grade better than this season. Because if the team isn't seriously competing for silverware, or doesn't have some other brand new pull factor, then the perception could set in that Melbourne City is just Melbourne Heart with a new coat paint. And the club won't grow if it's perceived as some rebranded, feeble entity. 

• Like 1

drop membership prices for fucks sake

build a decent team and use a game plan that works with that team, results and fans will come

Membership price decrease wont help. We have over 11,000 full price members and can't get 7000 to a game...

would be good to know how many are full season memberships

drop membership prices for fucks sake

build a decent team and use a game plan that works with that team, results and fans will come

Membership price decrease wont help. We have over 11,000 full price members and can't get 7000 to a game...

would be good to know how many are full season memberships

Also not sure how they count memberships. I have a family membership which gives me 2 adult and up to 4 kids. I only have 2 kids but they still issued me 2 extra children's memberships named 'junior 1' and 'junior 2'. That's two 'members' that are not coming along to games.

I tried my hardest to love the club, but I just haven't captured the same passion as I did under Heart. When its starting to become a drag to attend games (last couple of Sunday games in particular, didnt go yesterday) its time that I probably drop my membership. 

I tried my hardest to love the club, but I just haven't captured the same passion as I did under Heart. When its starting to become a drag to attend games (last couple of Sunday games in particular, didnt go yesterday) its time that I probably drop my membership. 

I'm wondering about the drop off of memberships for next season. 

How many others in hedaik's position? Also how many signed for Villa or at least were influenced by that and will now be burnt?

Personally I'm probably not resigning it was too hard to get the young family along to all the games

I understand where you're coming from but at the same time l don't. For example, if l was a member of Essendon and after being drug cheats why would l re-sign to watch a bunch of druggo's? But l seriously doubt their membership has dropped, correct me if I'm wrong. I think the culture of football fans compared to AFL fans is so different. Football fans demand success and get bored quite easily if their team is not winning. I have been a foundation member and had those days where I'd rather sit on the couch and watch tv, but l still drag myself to go even in the Alosi era. To me, it's all about success. And to witness no success since the inception of MHFC/MCFC, some people just have given up.

Edited by Tony999

I understand where you're coming from but at the same time l don't. For example, if l was a member of Essendon and after being drug cheats why would l re-sign to watch a bunch of druggo's? But l seriously doubt their membership has dropped, correct me if I'm wrong. I think the culture of football fans compared to AFL fans is so different. Football fans demand success and get bored quite easily if their team is not winning. I have been a foundation member and had those days where I'd rather sit on the couch and watch tv, but l still drag myself to go even in the Alosi era. To me, it's all about success. And to witness no success since the inception of MHFC/MCFC, some people just have given up.

The whole loyalty to Essendon thing is fine as its the exact same club, I don't consider City and Heart to be the same club. Ive always said that I'll give City a go and won't rule them out straight away as many people did in the in/out thread, but now that the season is almost done I think I've given it a good shot and come to the conclusion I just dont have the same emotions for them.  Not saying that might not change in 10 years time, but at this moment in time I feel a disconnect. 

I think my loyalty to South Fremantle when we were bottom 3 for most of my childhood, Fremantle for 20 years, and Heart when we were shit shows success isn't a condition for my support. If I wanted to be a frontrunner I would have chosen to support Victory when I moved to Melbourne. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Have felt much the same as Hedaik all season.  Since I live so close to the stadium I might go to the odd game next season if I've nothing else on, but I just don't have the love for City as I did Heart.  My passion will be channelled back to the red & white stripes of Vicenza, who are a chance of returning to Serie A next season.

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic