• 17 Genreau
    • 11 Noone
    • 9 Maclaren
    • 8 Cabrera
    • 19 Wales
    • 20 Luna
    • 13 Atkinson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/11/19 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, moops said:

Macca, but Good would be a close second, he is starting to get into his own, by the end of the season I can see him being the best defender in the league.

Good? Sorry, I thought he was junk on Friday. I'm not sure how many simple passes out of defence he hit into a WSW player. He looked way off to me.

49 minutes ago, rass said:

Good? Sorry, I thought he was junk on Friday. I'm not sure how many simple passes out of defence he hit into a WSW player. He looked way off to me.

I concede some passes weren't great, but defensively he was on point, positioning great, I feel he is playing himself into form still. 

2 hours ago, rass said:

Good had the 2nd highest passing percentage for us with 86% and made the most amount of passes with 98. Only Maclaren had a higher passing percentage with 87% but from only 15 passes. Very harsh to say he was junk, I too thought he was good. 

10 hours ago, CDM3 said:

Good had the 2nd highest passing percentage for us with 86% and made the most amount of passes with 98. Only Maclaren had a higher passing percentage with 87% but from only 15 passes. Very harsh to say he was junk, I too thought he was good. 

In all honesty, I'm not sure how much you can read into passing stats for a CB...

• Like 2

I thought our entire defence was ordinary. Looked all over the place at times, unsure of where they needed to be and who they were supposed to be marking. There were turnovers and mistakes from everyone.

Definitely our weakest area of the field but we’ve got a decent player in Windbichler who should be selected when fit. 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I thought our entire defence was ordinary. Looked all over the place at times, unsure of where they needed to be and who they were supposed to be marking. There were turnovers and mistakes from everyone.

Definitely our weakest area of the field but we’ve got a decent player in Windbichler who should be selected when fit. 

Who would you like see him come in?

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Who would you like see him come in?

It’s not clear to me.

Even though I think Good is the better defender, Delbridge is so strong in the air and is athletically a bit of a freak. Mombaerts used Brillante instead of Griffiths in defence because of his pace to cover the runs in behind, so maybe he likes Delbridge over Good. Plus, Windbichler isn’t very big, so we’d be left a little short at set pieces if Delbridge is out. 

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Statistics are just that - statistics. They don't necessarily reflect what happened in a match. If the 14% of unsuccessful passes had all resulted in goals, then we would have lost by a cricket score, yet the pass success rate would still have been 86%...

Agreed.

A defenders job is to make no mistakes in a match. An attackers job in contrast is to create opportunities.
look at Maclaren. WSW shut him out nearly all day but he pops up and sets up a goal and then gets the winner in injury time. Even though the defenders won most of the contests, he clearly won the day, so percentages mean nothing in this case.

In regards to Curtis, I’m a huge fan but I think he’s had better games.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

mooy was great at wsw before he came, but no one would have called the impact he had.  Brill has been the best dm in the league for the better part of three seasons, and considering dm is probably (besides AM) the position that has ruined our play the most in recent history, he is our best signing for me.

Both players incredibly good. But depends on what parameters you're comparing them. If we're not comparing them simply as players then it becomes way to murky to make a judgement. I think it's simple:

Mooys impact with us to influence games, score goals, provide assists was better than any season Brillante has had with Sydney. The caliber of Mooy is further proven that he is that good that he made the move to England and ended up in the Premier League. All this while Brillante is dominating in arguably the best aleague team the country has seen. I think career paths alone show who the best player has been. Add on top of that his constant representation of playing for the Socceroos. 

I liken this to victory supporters saying Broxham is the best player the aleague had ever seen because of his longevity at a club that has a lot of success over the course of the aleague. 

What's heartening even reading this thread is that we have a multitude of excellent performers across the park*****  and  a host of young guns on the bench.

2-4-6 seasons ago we would have all given a left nut to be standing where we are today in the league table, with a hard-grafting squad like this.  

And frankly, in a Sheffield United stylee, I am loving our lack of (cough) international star power (uncough).  Marquee my arse ... we have a team working for eachother and fired up to stay at the top.  Mistakes will happen, so be it, but I am loving this season more than any other, and Victory's demise ices the cake. 

*****Except Noone (sorry)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1