Melbourne Football

Friday 24th March. Melbourne City vs WSW. KO:7:50

kingofhearts

What can I say that I haven't said so many times.

I actually think that we were lucky in this game, we deserved to lose it 6-1 rather than 3-1. Another vintage Heart/City performance crumbling when the pressure is one, so predictable unfortunately. 

Positives:

First 15 minutes

cameo from Arzani

the game was over after 94 minutes

Negatives:

No aggression, no intensity, second to every ball, hassled off the ball in yet another timid performance

Terrible in transition, either committed too many players forward or too few, always lost the ball attempting slow short passes to static players.

Lost shape in defence too often, most of the second half in fact

I just don't care about the result any more, we are well on our way to ensuring our 5th place finish and a timid exit after an inevitable pin dive performance in an away final

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Hard to tell. It's amazing how different a team can look when they are properly managed. And considering it's the most expensive squad ever assembled i am leaning towards 2. Possibly 3.

This discussion has been had many times over nearly seven seasons. During that time we've had just two Head Coaches (van 't Schip and Aloisi) and one Acting/Interim Head Coach (Valkanis). Every season there has been a significant turnover of players, but apart from last season (although we still choked at the end) the end result has been pretty much the same - somewhere on the scale of mediocre to poor.

It is the management of the club that is the root cause of our lack of success. I'm afraid that until there is a marked change in management style, involving the setting of stretch performance and results objectives (plus a whole lot more besides), then we will continue to muddle along somewhere on the mediocre-to-poor spectrum.

I haven't read anything from City yet on tonight, but I'm certain it will be along the lines of "Disappointing... but...." It won't be hard-hitting, it won't focus on accountabilities and consequences.

It's management.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This discussion has been had many times over nearly seven seasons. During that time we've had just two Head Coaches (van 't Schip and Aloisi) and one Acting/Interim Head Coach (Valkanis). Every season there has been a significant turnover of players, but apart from last season (although we still choked at the end) the end result has been pretty much the same - somewhere on the scale of mediocre to poor.

It is the management of the club that is the root cause of our lack of success. I'm afraid that until there is a marked change in management style, involving the setting of stretch performance and results objectives (plus a whole lot more besides), then we will continue to muddle along somewhere on the mediocre-to-poor spectrum.

I haven't read anything from City yet on tonight, but I'm certain it will be along the lines of "Disappointing... but...." It won't be hard-hitting, it won't focus on accountabilities and consequences.

It's management.

I don't think that its the franchise management, the continued success of both the womens and youth team shows us this. The problem is clearly within the mens team and its personnel and structures

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTIM; having a box for the rebels and watching them lose in the last minute 

things that REALLY FUCKING irk me; having city on the TV during the game.

gut the team; Brattan and Malik never deserve to pull on the shirt again

whats a rebels?

17 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Same. Don't mind watching the comedy channel to cheer me up from watching rable like tonight.

Wait... is that like a rebel?

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that its the franchise management, the continued success of both the womens and youth team shows us this. The problem is clearly within the mens team and its personnel and structures

That's what I meant Bela. Just didn't spell it out. You're the expert on this sort of stuff, so why is there this entrenched mediocrity in the men's set-up? It doesn't seem to matter what coach we have, what assistants we have, what support personnel we have, what playing squad we assemble, it takes only a couple of months before the rot sets in.

11 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Sorensen?

He should have saved the first goal,  Bouzanis was getting blasted on here for goals at near post when it was no where near as bad as Sorensons last night

And the 3rd, if you watch the behind the goal footage where he has dived to punch ball he actually would have missed it,  he has dived about 2 metres behind where the ball would have landed. IMO he didn't want the contact 

I don't think he is shit,  but if we're going to judge both keepers the same,  he was pretty average last night

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, neio said:

He should have saved the first goal,  Bouzanis was getting blasted on here for goals at near post when it was no where near as bad as Sorensons last night

And the 3rd, if you watch the behind the goal footage where he has dived to punch ball he actually would have missed it,  he has dived about 2 metres behind where the ball would have landed. IMO he didn't want the contact 

I don't think he is shit,  but if we're going to judge both keepers the same,  he was pretty average last night

I agree. Had a below average at best game last night. Still don't think he should be dropped but he is just as much to blame as the rest of the defense.

12 hours ago, haz said:

How many times have we scored first and not won?

And vice versa: how many times have we come from behind to win? If those aren't signs of a mentally fragile team, I don't know what is. It's got to the point where I almost hate scoring in the first 10 minutes, because we'll probably be level (at best) at half time.

i give up.

we had a good 10 -15 minutes at the start, but shite ful after that

look, give me a coach who will build a team and a squad from the defence.

it might be boring as fuck , but we are not going to be giving goals away due to the stupidity of our back 4

9 minutes ago, japiedog said:

i give up.

we had a good 10 -15 minutes at the start, but shite ful after that

look, give me a coach who will build a team and a squad from the defence.

it might be boring as fuck , but we are not going to be giving goals away due to the stupidity of our back 4

Yeh but what about beautiful football

34 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

This shows how important possession is.

Screenshot_2017-03-25-14-38-48.png

Obvious problem here is the possession. 

We not doing it right. 

We need it around 98%

when we achieve it, we stand a chance to at least draw the game and pick up a point. 

"From cfg post game assessment"

• Like 2

That second WSWNRMA goal :droy:

Kamau little pressure on Neville who has time to left foot it into great space as he sees Santa practically on his own. Brattan was tracking him but should have been standing shoulder to shoulder instead standing behind. Santa standing off our defenders to give himself room. We clearly gave him too much space.

33529519492_bddae9de4c_h.jpg

Ruon and Brattan too late to intercept Santa. Brattan starting from behind was not going to catch him and Ruon too far off him to make a timely contest. Santa only needed a metre of space. That's what a striker does but defending oh so fcuking slack.

33529518572_4405f85339_h.jpg

Piss poor defending a hallmark of this side.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

That second WSWNRMA goal :droy:

Kamau little pressure on Neville who has time to left foot it into great space as he sees Santa practically on his own. Brattan was tracking him but should have been standing shoulder to shoulder instead standing behind. Santa standing off our defenders to give himself room. We clearly gave him too much space.

33529519492_bddae9de4c_h.jpg

Ruon and Brattan too late to intercept Santa. Brattan starting from behind was not going to catch him and Ruon too far off him to make a timely contest. Santa only needed a metre of space. That's what a striker does but defending oh so fcuking slack.

33529518572_4405f85339_h.jpg

Piss poor defending a hallmark of this side.

If you have a look at what happens about 5 seconds prior to the first frame, Kamau just watches Neville and points at him and does nothing. Kamau has to run with the RB if he comes forward. 

Hopeless.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1