Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

looked very sloppy today, what's the situation with his contract? would think he'll play the last 2

I agree it wasn't his best game, but I still think he's the type of player we need for the future. He's the right age, he's got talent, and he's proud to play for us. You don't always need the best players to have the best team, and surely there's no doubt that the defence is a much better unit in the second half of the season - Tando, Chapman, Clisby, Safuwan, Retre, Jaliens have IMO all stood up. Only Kisnorbo is there from the start of the season. In fact that's pretty much the same all over the park.

• Like 1

looked very sloppy today, what's the situation with his contract? would think he'll play the last 2

Sloppy? When? Apart from the penalty can't recall him being sloppy. I do recall many blocked crosses.

there was 1 where he was waiting for the whistle to go, didn't go and was horribly out of position

Sloppy? When? Apart from the penalty can't recall him being sloppy. I do recall many blocked crosses.

there was 1 where he was waiting for the whistle to go, didn't go and was horribly out of position

two things out of 90 mins?

When ever Burns was his opponent he always beat him, in fact he seemed to take burns out of the game quite a bit by making sure he was first to the ball before burns.

He wassnt sloppy at all (besides the pen)

In fact, get Franjic and another good keeper to challenge tando and I would gladly take that defence into next season.

When ever Burns was his opponent he always beat him, in fact he seemed to take burns out of the game quite a bit by making sure he was first to the ball before burns.

In fact, get Franjic and another good keeper to challenge tando and I would gladly take that defence into next season.

positioning also horrible for the build up in the pen, foxsports highlights vid 54th min, completely out of place as burns has a shot on target

wouldn't say we have a visa player that must be signed, some deserve another season, safuwan's best chance would be if we blow a decent chunk on a quality visa with him being a cheap option like germano has been

positioning also horrible for the build up in the pen, foxsports highlights vid 54th min, completely out of place as burns has a shot on target

wouldn't say we have a visa player that must be signed, some deserve another season, safuwan's best chance would be if we blow a decent chunk on a quality visa with him being a cheap option like germano has been

People on here (collectively, and I'm on that list) have complained about every one of the current defensive line-up - Tando, Retre, Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Clisby and now Safuwan - variously too old, too slow, too rash, too sloppy etc. etc. They all have their weaknesses that's for sure, but collectively they're probably the best defence that we've seen in five seasons.

People on here (collectively, and I'm on that list) have complained about every one of the current defensive line-up - Tando, Retre, Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Clisby and now Safuwan - variously too old, too slow, too rash, too sloppy etc. etc. They all have their weaknesses that's for sure, but collectively they're probably the best defence that we've seen in five seasons.

Honestly, I think that our defense collectively is one of the best defenses in the league. Sure, individually they may not set the world on fire, but you only need to look at our results over the past month or two to see how well they've performed together.

I'm also of the opinion that apart from the penalty, which was naive/stupid (and the fouled player went down very quickly and made the most of it), that Safuwan had a solid game.

Safuwan made 5 successful tackles yesterday, the most out of the whole team, made 2 interceptions and won all his aerial duels (and as usual, he was a threat up front). He helped keep Wellington's very dangerous forwards (Burns, Krishna) very quiet. IMO the fullbacks have the toughest job when defending against attackers like Burns and Krishna, as the often have to contain those players 1 on 1. So yesterday all the fullbacks, but especially Safuwan, did very well IMO. 

All up a pretty strong game for someone playing out of his preferred position at LB.

If he keeps up his form Safuwan is arguably the club's best ever utility player. He's played defensive mid, RB, CB and LB. And his preferred position, CB, is actually the position he's played the least minutes in as well.

So IMO it looks like a no-brainer to re-sign Safuwan for the next season or two. He can play well in multiple positions, age is ideal, his fitness and injury record are excellent, he's eager to play for the club and he can probably be signed on pretty low wages, which would help the club sign a quality Visa player inside the cap with the money saved re-signing Safuwan. Therefore because of his individual qualities and because of how he helps out the whole squad, I'll be very surprised if the club doesn't re-sign Safuwan.

• Like 5

I'm also of the opinion that apart from the penalty, which was naive/stupid (and the fouled player went down very quickly and made the most of it), that Safuwan had a solid game.

Safuwan made 5 successful tackles yesterday, the most out of the whole team, made 2 interceptions and won all his aerial duels (and as usual, he was a threat up front). He helped keep Wellington's very dangerous forwards (Burns, Krishna) very quiet. IMO the fullbacks have the toughest job when defending against attackers like Burns and Krishna, as the often have to contain those players 1 on 1. So yesterday all the fullbacks, but especially Safuwan, did very well IMO. 

All up a pretty strong game for someone playing out of his preferred position at LB.

If he keeps up his form Safuwan is arguably the club's best ever utility player. He's played defensive mid, RB, CB and LB. And his preferred position, CB, is actually the position he's played the least minutes in as well.

So IMO it looks like a no-brainer to re-sign Safuwan for the next season or two. He can play well in multiple positions, age is ideal, his fitness and injury record are excellent, he's eager to play for the club and he can probably be signed on pretty low wages, which would help the club sign a quality Visa player inside the cap with the money saved re-signing Safuwan. Therefore because of his individual qualities and because of how he helps out the whole squad, I'll be very surprised if the club doesn't re-sign Safuwan.

Agree with all that, but will they do it? To me it's a no brainer. Be interesting to see what is said at the end of rd 27. From what I remember that's when his loan expires. If they want to use him in the finals won't they need to either extend or make a new contract?

Agree with this. Melbourne City have the club's best ever defence ATM. Out of the last 12 games, the team has only conceded 10 goals, less than 1 goal a game average (and 6 of those goals occurred in 2 games: the 0-3 derby loss and 2-3 away to WSW). Melbourne City has kept cleansheets in 6 out of the past 12 games. Altogether it's a very good defensive record (and it sure makes games easier to win when a team just needs to score 1 goal, like the 1-0 wins away to Sydney and home to Brisbane).

I'm pretty firmly of the belief that a team should make as fewer changes as possible to an effective defence, so I hope that most of this season's defence comprise next season's defence (with maybe 1 new addition).

You summed at that pen very well.  Just crazy by Saf and Fenton thought it was Christmas as soon as he felt the contact.  

Aside from that i thought he was great though.  No ball got passed him all night even though stopping the likes of Burns crossing is extraordinarily difficult.  i built him up to the Mrs first time they acted his flank and was pleased to see he responded by looking after me.

Safuwan's A-League fate rests on negotiations: Melbourne City FC

14 Apr 2015

Melbourne City FC says whether or not Safuwan Baharudin continues to play for them depends on negotiations with their football department and coaching staff.

SINGAPORE: Time is running out for Lions international defender Safuwan Baharudin overseas stint - his loan deal with A-League side Melbourne City Football Club (MCFC) is expected to wrap up this month. 

An MCFC spokesperson told Channel NewsAsia on Tuesday (Apr 14), that the extension of Safuwan's three-month contract will be dependent on negotiations with the club's football department and coaching staff. 

The 23-year-old had earned the contract after his performance at MCFC's training camp in Abu Dhabi, in January this year. He had attended the camp as part of a development opportunity arranged with the Football Association of Singapore. 

Since scoring the contract, the versatile Safuwan has played in various positions including centreback and defensive midfield. He even became the first Singaporean to score in the A-League, scoring one against Adelaide United, and another against the Western Sydney Wanderers. 

After playing several international friendlies with Bernd Stange's Lions in late March, Safuwan is currently back in Australia, and played in MCFC's most recent match against Wellington Phoenix on Sunday, Apr 12. 

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/safuwan-s-a-league-fate/1783252.html

Looks like he's back and trained today going by his instagram.

If we are going to be a force in the finals we'll need this bloke on the paddock. 

I love his defensive positioning.  Rarely seems to be caught out- pretty much in the right spot every time shutting blokes down, winning headers, making tackles and to top it off he's a threat at set pieces.  

Agree with this. However found himself on the wrong side of the attacker on Sunday and then clumsily gave away a penalty. Nobody is immune from mistakes and overall I'd love to see him next year playing for us. He has been a very solid addition to our defence alongside Chappy, Kew and Paddy which had led to a big improvement in the team's results since Jan this year.

Good right sided utility, looks sloppy on the left the penalty was typical of a right sided player being caught, will cost us , if we were knocked out of finals with a penalty like that i dont think we would be praising him so much.

If he makes the same error again then he deserves what he gets. If he learns and adapts his game then he'll be better for it.

To me he seems an intelligent player that is capable of much more. Time will tell.

Good right sided utility, looks sloppy on the left the penalty was typical of a right sided player being caught, will cost us , if we were knocked out of finals with a penalty like that i dont think we would be praising him so much.

If he makes the same error again then he deserves what he gets. If he learns and adapts his game then he'll be better for it.

To me he seems an intelligent player that is capable of much more. Time will tell.

Every player makes mistakes. Penalties, goalkeeper gaffes and missed sitters always look the worst.

Not making excuses for Saf, but don't forget that atrocious back pass from Koren that also almost gifted Wellington a goal.

We shouldn't overlook any player's better aspects, be they Safuwan, Melling, Chapman, Koren or anyone else, because of one mistake.

Edited by jw1739

Fair comment I just get the feeling no matter what JVS, will find a place in the team for him at the expense of others because of the hype and coverage in Asia , for me Clisby had done a decent job only to be omitted for a right centre mid , this caused the penalty ,he could give away 3 penaltys and still be selected. That is the reality. As things stand im not overly impressed I hope he proves me wrong. Time will tell.

That penalty is what I've been talking about the whole time, i've never seen a player that looks as likely to find a way to get sent off every game. I'm not sure if it's just a huge deal of luck that he hasnt been sent off yet, or that there is some method to his madness and he is able to just avoid crossing the line and getting himself sent off. I think it's luck TBH.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I remember when he was first signed he posted something on instagram basically saying he was signed (before club mention), and then went on to deny being signed, before finally the club made it official.

So maybe he is playing silly buggers again and 10am tomorrow we get an announcement. I hope he's in.

Edited by bellydrum

That penalty is what I've been talking about the whole time, i've never seen a player that looks as likely to find a way to get sent off every game. I'm not sure if it's just a huge deal of luck that he hasnt been sent off yet, or that there is some method to his madness and he is able to just avoid crossing the line and getting himself sent off. I think it's luck TBH.

Agree. I saw it when they were on their tour a few months back during his very first trial for the club. One particular incident I couldn't believe he didn't see red for it.

Edited by n i k o

Did you watch any games with Kevin Muscat on the pitch? Broxham on the pitch? There are a few others I could mention.

• Like 2

Did you watch any games with Kevin Muscat on the pitch? Broxham on the pitch? There are a few others I could mention.

The difference is they are just no nonsense players who tackle hard etc.

Safuwan just seems to lose his mind and do silly and unnecessary things.

Singaporean international Safuwan Baharudin will also miss the clash due to a minor back injury.

“Safuwan also picked up a problem this week so hopefully he can come back and prepare himself for the Reds,” van’t Schip said.

“He’s feeling a bit of tightness in his back and we just have to be careful with that.”

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/injury-update-kennedy-set-to-miss-glory-clash/kija38do49hy1n2lbdnvt6f2e#mzGZKVxksJyuWpBM.99

• Like 2

The difference is they are just no nonsense players who tackle hard etc.

Safuwan just seems to lose his mind and do silly and unnecessary things.

I never felt that Muscat was a no nonsense player - for me he was always a psychopath who would do dangerous things such as the late tackle on Zahra.

Did you watch any games with Kevin Muscat on the pitch? Broxham on the pitch? There are a few others I could mention.The difference is they are just no nonsense players who tackle hard etc.Safuwan just seems to lose his mind and do silly and unnecessary things.

Come on Tesla. There's no way a lot of Muscats tackles weren't premeditated.