Melbourne Football

dylan macallister

Luke

Roving veteran Dylan Macallister's now a Melbourne boy at Heart

RAY GATT

October 10, 2012

306619-121010-s-macallister.jpg

DYLAN Macallister wondered about his future as a professional footballer after the demise of the Gold Coast United club last season.

Having played with three A-League clubs in just four years, he feared he was not only some kind of jinx but that there was a real possibility he might have run out of options at the age of 30.

Sydney born and raised, Macallister was trialling with new club Western Sydney but was frustrated by the lack of an offer despite having worked hard in the early stages of the pre-season to get himself fit and doing all that was asked of him.

Just as he was resigning himself to the possibility of playing in the NSW Premier League, Melbourne Heart came calling -- and the rest is history.

Heart coach John Aloisi's faith in Macallister doing a job for him paid instant dividends when the former Australian youth international slotted home the opening goal that helped lift the club to a stunning 2-0 win over Melbourne Victory in the derby at Etihad Stadium last Friday night in front of 42,000.

"It was a very special night. There was a lot of expectation in the change room," Macallister said yesterday.

"We had a lot of new players and it was John Aloisi's first game as coach.

"Everyone was a bit nervous, but when the whistle went it all flew out the window. Everyone was committed and we pulled it off."

It's been a long and, at times, bumpy road for "Big Mac" since he came back to Australia in 2008 after a three-year stint in Norway. He played two seasons with Central Coast Mariners before moving to Wellington Phoenix then a season at the now defunct Gold Coast United.

"Yeah, there were some worrying times, I have to admit," he said. "The way it has been for me, it has been one-year contracts for whatever reason and that makes it really hard.

"Every year you get nervous about how things will work out.

"I had two years at the Mariners but wasn't offered a contract when the new coach came, then I played 15 games for Wellington and scored seven goals but wasn't offered a contract again.

"The Gold Coast situation was very difficult. I started well then missed the second half of the season because of a bad hamstring injury. Then there were the off-field issues with the club."

Through the trials and tribulations, Macallister, who has represented Australia at under-17s, 19s and 23s levels, always maintained faith in his own ability -- even if there was still one more blow coming.

"The Wanderers situation was tough. It would have been great to play for a Sydney club," he said. "I had got myself fit by playing in the NSWPL under Mark Rudan, who was fantastic to me, at Rockdale. I did some pre-season with the Wanderers and thought I was doing well enough. But no offer came. It was definitely disappointing for me.

"It was a great feeling when John Aloisi rang me and told me his plans and that he was looking for a player like me and thought I had good values and could do something different at for them. I have signed a two-year contract and it has worked out well."

Macallister says he couldn't be happier now. His family is settled in Melbourne and he says Heart is a wonderful club with a fabulous culture and work ethic.

"From day one when I arrived it was a big step up from Gold Coast. It is a very professional club and we are like a family," he said. "There are no superstars or big heads in the dressing room and everyone from management all the way down gets on fantastically well."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/roving-veteran-dylan-macallisters-now-a-melbourne-boy-at-heart/story-fn63e0vj-1226492364238

Edited by Murfy1

• 1 year later...

Should never be allowed near a Heart shirt again. An insult to everyone associated with the club, especially supporters.

We're going to have to pay this dill until the end of his contract anyway. So IMO he should be called into the office on Monday and told he's finished with the club immediately, and we should make a press release saying why.

• Like 1

Good sleuthing there.

Macallister will go to Hong Kong on receipt of a satisfactory medical report.

The player recruited from Yokohama FC is the one who "felt good" after his first practice with the team.

Let's hope the medical is satisfactory.

This is nice news.