Melbourne Football

dylan macallister

Luke

I honestly do not think as backup for Tadic he will be that bad...

Last year when Eli had run his course in games it would be Williams or usually Hoff that will would replace him.

Macallister's goal scoring record in the A League alone suggests he has to be a better second CF option than either of these two.

Edited by cadete

I honestly do not think as backup for Tadic he will be that bad...

Last year when Eli had run his course in games it would be Williams or usually Hoff that will would replace him.

Macallister's goal scoring record in the A League alone suggests he has to be a better second CF option than either of these two.

This.

Sure he's not an exciting name, but he has a good, consistent goalscoring record at this level. According to wiki:

CCM - 16 games/9 goals

Wellington - 22/14

Breidablik (Iceland) - 16/13

GCU - 15/9

Considering we want a striker and they have to be Australian, cheap and off-contract, he doesn't seem too bad an option.

agree. He's actually not that bad as a backup option. He has a-league experience, very strong and would be decent to have as a target man which will give us that variety needed up front.

has been averaging over a goal every 2 games which is very good. It would also give us a bit more stability in the squad

Edited by heart_fan10

Based on statistics don't have an objection. But doesn't he have a few hamstring problems? Another 30-year-old though - does this indicate a bit of a change in philosophy at Heart HQ?

I agree and its a change I for one welcome.

Its not like the emphasis is not still on the Youth, but we need to recruit players of all ages not just young ones. Guys in their prime like Tadic and Go Hard and those also with valuable expeirence like McCallister are as important.

This way we wont be stung so bad again when our talented Youth leave to further their careers.

Its not like the emphasis is not still on the Youth, but we need to recruit players of all ages not just young ones.

couldn't agree more.

Stability is very important to a club. if your core playing group is replaced each year, what consistency does the club and supporter base have?

i want to be excited that players like aziz and good are going to have a stand out year following their great performable last season, but i feel disappointed when such players are sold.

I'm in favour of recruiting more experienced players.

I read Grella is a free agent. he is one experienced player i would be interested in having.

Its not like the emphasis is not still on the Youth, but we need to recruit players of all ages not just young ones. Guys in their prime like Tadic and Go Hard and those also with valuable expeirence like McCallister are as important.

This way we wont be stung so bad again when our talented Youth leave to further their careers.

I agree too!

But aren't we overstating the youth of the teams we've had? In year 1 there were kids, a whole bunch of experienced players, and probably not much in the 23 - 28 range. And that's probably normal for a start up club because good players at their peak are probably the hardest to get.

Last year we brought in Good at 18, Dugandzic and Williams who were early 20's with senior experience, Germano and Maycon who were about 24 or 25 I think, and Fred.

I don't think the balance has been bad at all. I think the problem has been that our lack of experience has been highlighted in two important areas. My main issue has been the lack a striker at a good age. Aloisi did well in the first year, but was at the very end of his career. And Babalj did well to score 9 goals last season, but I think his youth was a problem at times as well. And as you've pointed out many times, two young CB's can be a problem too. But then the more senior players like Maycon and Colosimo weren't able to contribute like they should have.

But overall, I think the way the club has scouted young players and promoted them into senior football has been a big success and probably an area where most other A League clubs have been lacking. 4 players leaving in one off-season means we've been too successful! It's currently the thing we do better than probably anybody else and should remain an important part of what we do.

I've got no problem with signing 30 year olds when required and both Macallister and Gray will probably be solid sort of signings. I'm just looking forward to getting a bit more ambitious in our recruiting with the money we're making.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

Don't mind the signing, but out of all the talented players we could have plundered Fold Coast for, we ended up with McAllister and No Goal Mebrahtu.

Pretty disappointing, but not a disaster.

EDIT: should have signed Sasho Petrovski :D.

Edited by marteaux

This.

Sure he's not an exciting name, but he has a good, consistent goalscoring record at this level. According to wiki:

CCM - 16 games/9 goals

Wellington - 22/14

Breidablik (Iceland) - 16/13

GCU - 15/9

Considering we want a striker and they have to be Australian, cheap and off-contract, he doesn't seem too bad an option.

those stats are wrong lmao

according to ultimatealeague (far more reliable than wiki) he has scored 15 goals all up in the a-league

if those stats were right he'd be equal 4th in the all time scoring chart

as if anyone is believing those stats anyway, Macallister of all people with a goal scoring record like that rofl!

• Like 1

Based on statistics don't have an objection. But doesn't he have a few hamstring problems? Another 30-year-old though - does this indicate a bit of a change in philosophy at Heart HQ?

As highlighted by his comments in relation to the signing of Steven Gray, it appears JA doesn't mind more experienced players.

Last season we lacked goal scorers and Macallister fits the bill.

Bullshit signing, dunno if it's just me but looks like JD has figured out real life is much tougher then football manager, he's rolled over and given up.

And a two year deal... really?

Real stats are pretty unimpressive.

84 appearances for 18 goals

11/12 - GC - 11 starts, 4 subs on, 9 subs off, 3 goals

11 - Breidablik - 11 starts, 3 subs off, 3 goals

10/11 - WP - 15 starts, 7 subs on, 10 subs off, 7 goals

08/10 - CCM - 19 starts, 17 subs on, 8 subs off, 5 goals

Edited by LR9

I don't mind bringing in an older player but when I first read this topic I thought it was a slow news day.

It turns out their may be some merit in this topic.

BUT I find him to be a has been. His experience is not worth the signing.

If we end up signing Mcallister I want to know why Reid wasn't offered a contract? At least Reid has a presence.

Would rather see someone from the VPL or youth team brought in and given an opportunity at A-League level rather than recycling a guy who's an average squad player at best.

I wouldn't believe that we've offered him a 2 year deal, particularly given his age and the fact he would only be used sparingly.

• Like 1

Don't think I can handle another off-season where we're all reduced to trying to interpret JD's tweets...but his latest suggest that this Macallister thing is a load of nonsense.

Before everyone starts sighing in relief loudly...

I think people have to remember that not every player on our list has to be an out and out star:

I think people should remember who the bottom 5 players were on our list were last year and compare any new possible recruits that are not too happy about to these guys rather than the top five players on our list.

That's not very nice. I'm Melbourne heart supporter at this point in time. If I swap to victory then u can hate me...

But if I return to heart you have to be nice to me again.

please tell me you're taking the piss.

That is generally the most retarted thing I have ever read on the Internet.

• Like 2