Melbourne Football

Brendan Hamill

natalie182

Unless it's on bare minimum wage I think it is a waste. Vrankovic>Hammill IMO.

Disagree.

Hammill would get the gig on versatility alone!

His ability to play at full back and in midfield is extremely helpful, especially in a JvS team.

Matt Thompson anyone?

Unless it's on bare minimum wage I think it is a waste. Vrankovic>Hammill IMO.

Disagree.

Hammill would get the gig on versatility alone!

His ability to play at full back and in midfield is extremely helpful, especially in a JvS team.

Hoffman can play any spot on the ground, he's still shit. Just like Hammill.

I wish people would watch Vrankovic instead of just assuming he was a saviour.

Yeah you're right I've never watched the bloke play in my life.  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

Not at all mate, I've no doubt you've seen him, but over the past year, he'd be lucky to have been our second best centre half in the youth team, more likely third.

I wish people would watch Vrankovic instead of just assuming he was a saviour.

Yeah you're right I've never watched the bloke play in my life. :up::up::up::up:

Not at all mate, I've no doubt you've seen him, but over the past year, he'd be lucky to have been our second best centre half in the youth team, more likely third.

Tbh I've only watched 1 youth game this year, you talking about that giant bloke we have at CB? Can't remember his name ffs but I did rate him.

Would be pretty happy if Heart could sign Hamill for next season.

He had 35 appearances at Heart (about 25 starts) over our first 2 seasons, and I always thought he was solid. He's been highly rated in Australian youth teams as well, making over a dozen caps for both the U-17 and U-20 teams. And Seongnam FC (who just won the ACL in 2010) clearly thought highly of him when they signed him, seemingly hoping for him to replace Sasa Ognenovski (who had just left when Hamill was signed), with Hamill receiving the Ogmonster's number 4 jersey as well.

Hamill had a pretty good first season, getting a goal and 6 full games (and 2 other appearances), but it seems he got a knee injury in the middle or late part of his first season. He had knee surgery seemingly just before his second season, but it seems that after that disruption his didn't really figure in the team, and was loaned out in his second season.

The K-League season (and Hamill's third season at Seongnam), started earlier this month. There were rumblings earlier this year though that Seongnam were open to selling Hamill, who is their only foreign defender.

So it seems pretty plausible that Heart could sign Hamill for next season. I'm sure Hamill would be keen to play under JVS again, and I do reckon JVS could get the most out of him. I reckon Hamill could really thrive in the A-League, so I'd be pleased if he were signed. He'd also provide a bit more pace in the centre of defence, which has been argued for. I think though he's just a solid defender, who could be in the middle of Heart's defence for multiple seasons (he's a good age, 21), hence giving us real stability at the back.

Edited by Murfy1

Hamill had knee trouble when with us. AFAIK he first did his knee in a match at AAMI Park - can'rt remember which one it was now.

I don't think we should be rushing these signings. We're already looking pretty mediocre for next season - Redmayne, Velaphi, Hoffman, Williams, Ramsay, Murdocca. Not one of them of interest to another club. What's the hurry? JvS should be going to Manchester first.

Must admit I'm despondent and bemused.

Hamill had knee trouble when with us. AFAIK he first did his knee in a match at AAMI Park - can'rt remember which one it was now.

I don't think we should be rushing these signings. We're already looking pretty mediocre for next season - Redmayne, Velaphi, Hoffman, Williams, Ramsay, Murdocca. Not one of them of interest to another club. What's the hurry? JvS should be going to Manchester first.

Rather than a clean-out we appear to be having a clean-in :unsure:

Given that any players JVS brings back will likely be counted as part of our "visa" spots, I think he will not be looking for defenders. Attack is where we need that extra quality, the goal sense, superior first touch and pace.

Hamill will no doubt feel at home again here, he seemed to visit often so he's probably home sick. A great option to have especially given his age, if we could manage a few years out of him that would really benefit us as Murfy said, we need that stability at the back.

What's the hurry? The fact that Hamill likely wants to return home, he's come to us, and if we stall or waste our time, he goes to one of the other 8 teams.

Sign him up!i

• Like 2

The team should be thoughtfully and carefully strengthened, of course, but I think it's easy to overestimate just how many good and realistic Australian players there are out there that Heart can sign for next season.

Look at the RB position. Who is a good Australian RB out there that Heart could sign under the cap? I really can't think of anyone, and am starting to think that Heart really should have signed Michael Marrone before he went back to Adelaide on Feb the 3rd.

And then there's LB. Assuming that Behich goes back to Turkey, Heart could sign either Shane Lowry or Jason Davidson (both come out of contract at season's end), or pay a transfer fee for Zullo at Utrecht. But if Heart misses out on Lowry or Davidson, and Utrecht aren't willing to sell Zullo, then I have absolutely no idea who Heart could sign for LB. 

Heart could use VISA spots for the fullback positions, but IMO that's a waste, as VISA spots should be used on players in the spine of the team, and on attacking players.

So I don't think Heart should be too slow to sign up good Australian players, as there as so few such players out there. Also, it's not like the club has much else to focus on now anyway, now that Heart can't make the finals.

Edited by Murfy1

• 1 year later...

Brendan Hamill is off contract at the end of the ACL campaign with WSW. Worth bringing in to phase Kisnorbo out and partner Chapman? If neither go further than solid A League players, then that's a central pairing for a while.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/06/high-profile-wanderers-players-fighting-new-contracts

Edited by pattyd89

Brendan Hamill is off contract at the end of the ACL campaign with WSW. Worth bringing in to phase Kisnorbo out and partner Chapman? If neither go further than solid A League players, then that's a central pairing for a while.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/06/high-profile-wanderers-players-fighting-new-contracts

Been pretty underwhelming for them 

Wouldn't surprise me if Chapman moved overseas (probably another failed Euro move) at the end of the season. No guarantees Safuwan is staying around either. So I wouldnt mind Hamill in the squad as an option.

Moving to Europe can result in further success for a player but do moves to Asia ever improve the many young Australians that go there?

Seems to have gone backwards since he left us, on form shown since his return he wouldn't start before any of our 4 current centre backs (Kisnorbo, Chapman, Jaliens or Safuwan). Would be a good squad signing as he can place in the center and cover at RB, although it would mean one of Jaliens or Safuwan would have to go. 

Seems to have gone backwards since he left us, on form shown since his return he wouldn't start before any of our 4 current centre backs (Kisnorbo, Chapman, Jaliens or Safuwan). Would be a good squad signing as he can place in the center and cover at RB, although it would mean one of Jaliens or Safuwan would have to go. 

Agreed - hasn't done an awful lot since he left us. Not generally in favour of recycled players, although he's only 22. But don't see any need to rush in to sign him.

The JVS fans always used to list this blokes #yoof development as one of the reasons why he was a great coach... and now nobody here even wants him.

He is also not the only one of the #yoof players from our Second Season that used to be rolled out to support this Pro JVS #yoof argument that most on here would no longer think worthy of being in the City Starting Lineup either.

The JVS fans always used to list this blokes #yoof development as one of the reasons why he was a great coach... and now nobody here even wants him.

He is also not the only one of the #yoof players from our Second Season that used to be rolled out to support this Pro JVS #yoof argument that most on here would no longer think worthy of being in the City Starting Lineup either.

You're forgetting that he went to Asia chasing the dollars and lost crucial years in his development 

You're forgetting that he went to Asia chasing the dollars and lost crucial years in his development 

No I am not...

He made his own decisions just like Eli did when he did left ASAP to go to Europe and if Hamill was a better player he could have learnt to swim in Asia rather than sink. Its a simple fact that right now it looks like Marrone, Hamill, Babaji, were nowhere near as good as PPL on here made out they were going to be when they went overseas.

Also other Australian Defenders have forged good long careers in Asia, and Good who left around the same time and at the same age as Hamill when uninjured showed that he did not need extra development in Australia before being able to perform overseas.

Edited by cadete

Hamill was very much a similar situation to Devere, both left for Korea and neither had a good time of it. It's hardly the easiest place for Australians to go and flourish. Og was a rare case of a player leaving the A-League for Asia and prospering, Wilkinson is probably the only other one who really advanced as a player after leaving. 

• Like 1

Hamill was very much a similar situation to Devere, both left for Korea and neither had a good time of it. It's hardly the easiest place for Australians to go and flourish. Og was a rare case of a player leaving the A-League for Asia and prospering, Wilkinson is probably the only other one who really advanced as a player after leaving. 

Not to mention wilko and OG were well into their late 20s hardly comparable to Hamils situation 

How is going to Korea chasing the dollars? Maybe we've caught up to it now but it's always been a better league, probably still is.

In terms of development, i can't think of any YOUNG Australians who benefited there

Because they weren't good enough.

How is going to Korea chasing the dollars? Maybe we've caught up to it now but it's always been a better league, probably still is.

In terms of development, i can't think of any YOUNG Australians who benefited there

Because they weren't good enough.

You could use that excuse anywhere though

Babalj had a ruptured adducter tendon and undergone two hernia operations since moving overseas so he can be forgiven for not making a big impact as many had hoped for. The good thing is he's back playing and has been loaned out to PEC where he's seeing more game time.

• Like 1

No I am not...

He made his own decisions just like Eli did when he did left ASAP to go to Europe and if Hamill was a better player he could have learnt to swim in Asia rather than sink. Its a simple fact that right now it looks like Marrone, Hamill, Babaji, were nowhere near as good as PPL on here made out they were going to be when they went overseas.

Also other Australian Defenders have forged good long careers in Asia, and Good who left around the same time and at the same age as Hamill when uninjured showed that he did not need extra development in Australia before being able to perform overseas.

Good has done nothing either.He won a contract based on potential, which is yet to be realised, although injuries have curtailed his progress.

I never rated either Hamill or Good. If I was to be brutally honest, some of the cock-ups the two were involved in were truly Comedy Central material.  And it came down to them not being particularly intelligent footballer.  And Hamill's lack of brain power has shown up at the Wanderers