Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

Looking forward to the day when this thread is closed coz he'll be shown the door. The most frustrating, inconsistent sh!t player and we extended his contract on the back of a flukey hot streak towards the tail end of last season.

Given that the Aloisi and Jeremy Walker threads still come back to life - I doubt that it will ever be closed.

Did see a rumour about CCM looking to sign Willo in January when we get Kennedy. If there is a god please let this happen.

There is a god

379990-josh-kennedy.jpg

Will be praying for this. He can join forces with that other crap player, Matty Simon.

Hoping for three of the dead wood to go in Jan. Williams Kalmar and Germano. Plus miller

Did see a rumour about CCM looking to sign Willo in January when we get Kennedy. If there is a god please let this happen.

There is a god

379990-josh-kennedy.jpg

Will be praying for this. He can join forces with that other crap player, Matty Simon.

Hoping for three of the dead wood to go in Jan. Williams Kalmar and Germano. Plus miller

Well Kalmar's already gone and if Williams is on the way out it leaves the other two, which I think it'll only be one or the other gone...3 out of 4 is pretty good! haha

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately didn't get to see the game vs Brisbane today so I won't pretend to think we played well or we got lucky. But I did see David Williams fluff shot at goal after the layoff from duganzic and that piece of play to me is to send Williams to the youth for a week. It was a weak attempt from a veteran player, didn't even hit the target ffs. Patience running out with this bloke.

One thing I have to say though is that despite his poor performance he was the only player who came around to everyone after the game and to every single person he said something along the lines of 'you guys were awesome today really helped us across the line' which was great to see! Respect to him for that although he needs to lift

• Like 2

Better than Brown. But still average. Hope Jesus can bang in goals when he arrives.

And that's the thing. Whatever the club decides to do with him once his contract is up is ok with me, but realistically, he is (and should be) assured of a spot on the bench as a bare minimum, at least until Kennedy arrives. Say what you want about him, but I'd still back him in to score more (disregarding penalties) over a 5-10 game period than any of the other supposed goal scoring options we have on our squad currently. It's not like Dugandzic, Brown, Marino and now Melling are known for consistently getting shots on target either, is it? And as for Duff, I can barely remember him even having a shot this year. So Williams gets the nod at least until Kennedy is right to go, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Better than Brown. But still average. Hope Jesus can bang in goals when he arrives.

And that's the thing. Whatever the club decides to do with him once his contract is up is ok with me, but realistically, he is (and should be) assured of a spot on the bench as a bare minimum, at least until Kennedy arrives. Say what you want about him, but I'd still back him in to score more (disregarding penalties) over a 5-10 game period than any of the other supposed goal scoring options we have on our squad currently. It's not like Dugandzic, Brown, Marino and now Melling are known for consistently getting shots on target either, is it? And as for Duff, I can barely remember him even having a shot this year. So Williams gets the nod at least until Kennedy is right to go, as far as I'm concerned. Well, then, it's settled! Williams to start! Here here.

Hoff who cops shit non stop had 2 shots on goal this season and scored 1 goal

Willo........who is a striker has a bag full of missed opportunities and only 2 goals.

I believe if Hoff played in his spot we would have had more goals....how bloody sad is that.

Willo's coach killing butchered chances are getting too hard to ignore.

And that's the thing. Whatever the club decides to do with him once his contract is up is ok with me, but realistically, he is (and should be) assured of a spot on the bench as a bare minimum, at least until Kennedy arrives. Say what you want about him, but I'd still back him in to score more (disregarding penalties) over a 5-10 game period than any of the other supposed goal scoring options we have on our squad currently. It's not like Dugandzic, Brown, Marino and now Melling are known for consistently getting shots on target either, is it? And as for Duff, I can barely remember him even having a shot this year. So Williams gets the nod at least until Kennedy is right to go, as far as I'm concerned.

He has one job. If he's not doing it someone else deserves the spot. Not really interested in hypotheticals that he "could" score more goals than anyone else. Preferably Marino.

He has one job. If he's not doing it someone else deserves the spot. Not really interested in hypotheticals that he "could" score more goals than anyone else. Preferably Marino.

Fair enough. I'd argue that Marino has had a few chances and hasn't even been able to get a shot away, let alone on target. The whole point, as far as I'm concerned, is that we don't really seem to have 'someone else'. Certainly not someone that we can have faith on to force the keeper to make a save when he has a chance. I'm happy for Williams to continue to come off the bench; that's where he started yesterday and he didn't really do anything to earn a promotion from there. But to leave him out of the squad altogether, considering the alternatives that we have, seems pretty bloody-minded to me.

How long does Brown have on his contract?

James Brown's contract is to the end of next season 2015/16. David Williams and Marc Marino likewise.

This is part of our problem - too many players we have to carry over into next season. (Thank you van 't Schip.)

IMO Williams was very lazy yesterday, and appeared to show little interest in the match. Overall, IMO Brown is the better footballer. At 24 he's two years younger than Williams. We're stuck with both of them.

• Like 1

"We're stuck with both of them."

No we're not.

If Victory were able to move on contracted players, there's no reason we can't move players on.

This has been discussed many times on here, and the reality is "yes we are stuck with them" unless we can persuade them to agree to a mutual release from their contract. This will normally be possible only if the player has another club already lined up or is happy to retire or wants to leave football altogether. Perhaps a low-paid player could be just  paid out, but the pay out would be included in the 2014-15 salary cap, and anyone being signed to replace that player would also have to be inside the salary cap. And there has to be a minimum number of players in the squad so you can't just leave a position unfilled.

I doubt that there's any other club chasing Williams or Brown, so to engineer a mutual release (such as we did with Maycon) requires us to assist in finding another club to which they want to go, and I'd say the chances of that, certainly for Williams, are nil.

A similar situation exists with Kalmar. We've told him he will be released at the end of 2014/15, and we've already tried to find him an alternative club to secure an early release but have failed so far. So as far as I know NK is still training with us.

Hopefully in the future we will not be so bold with certain contracts.

Fully agree with the above. Sadly it is very tough to move our players on, and the poor previous 2 seasons hasn't helped things. That is why the likes of Colosimo ended up in India after his stint at Melbourne Heart, and Dylan Macallister ended up in Hong Kong. If players are open (or can be persuaded) to go to the fringes of the football world, like with Macallister to Hong Kong, then we might be able to move a few players on. But it seems that normally the likes of Kalmar and Germano. won't want to leave an A-league club (esp. an A-League club owned by Man City FC) mid-season to go off to a competition like the Hong Kong Premier League.

The club tried to organise Kalmar to move to the Newcastle Jets, but it looks like the Jets backed away before the move was complete. And Kalmar, despite being clearly told that he has no future at the club, seemingly prefers to stick around at the club and train and pickup his paycheck rather than move on to, say, a NPLV or Hong Kong team.

On player shooting accuracy, here are the numbers (disregarding pens, as said above):

David Williams

- Games played: 7

- Total shots: 13

- On target: 4

- Off target: 9

- Goals: 1

Mate Dugandzic

- Games played: 9

- Total shots: 14

- On target: 7

- Off target: 7

- Goals: 2

James Brown

- Games played: 8

- Total shots: 9

- On target: 3

- Off target: 6

- Goals: 0

Damien Duff

- Total shots: 12

- Off target: 8

Marc Marino

- Games played: 4

- Total shots: 3

- On target: 2

- Off target: 1

Jason Hoffman

- Total shots: 4

Erik Paartalu

- Total shots: 8

Edited by Murfy1

Fully agree with the above. Sadly it is very tough to move our players on,

You mean players like Williams and Brown that jw mentioned? Both JVS signings. 

Why don't you just start a 'I hate JVS thread' ?? rather than posting virtually the same thing in every thread??

• Like 1

Fully agree with the above. Sadly it is very tough to move our players on, and the poor previous 2 seasons hasn't helped things. That is why the likes of Colosimo ended up in India after his stint at Melbourne Heart, and Dylan Macallister ended up in Hong Kong. If players are open (or can be persuaded) to go to the fringes of the football world, like with Macallister to Hong Kong, then we might be able to move a few players on. But it seems that normally the likes of Kalmar and Germano. won't want to leave an A-league club (esp. an A-League club owned by Man City FC) mid-season to go off to a competition like the Hong Kong Premier League.

The club tried to organise Kalmar to move to the Newcastle Jets, but it looks like the Jets backed away before the move was complete. And Kalmar, despite being clearly told that he has no future at the club, seemingly prefers to stick around at the club and train and pickup his paycheck rather than move on to, say, a NPLV or Hong Kong team.

On player shooting accuracy, here are the numbers (disregarding pens, as said above):

David Williams

- Games played: 7

- Total shots: 13

- Off target: 9

Mate Dugandzic

- Total shots: 14

- On target: 7

- Off target: 7

James Brown

- Total shots: 9

Damien Duff

- Total shots: 12

- Off target: 8

Marc Marino

- Games played: 4

- Total shots: 3

Jason Hoffman

- Total shots: 4

Erik Paartalu

- Total shots: 8

Completely irrelevant, but any chance of bringing back your old avatar?

@davutovic: City striker David Williams about to join us & he'll reveal some big news on @WorldFootballAU

Here's hoping he's retiring. He just said he got engaged on the weekend. Damn I thought it was going to be big news about the team. Sorry guys

Let's hope his missus makes him lose some kegs before the wedding, the club sure hasn't

• Like 1