Melbourne Football

Brazil 2014 WCQ

Hendo

Schwarzer taking a huge risk signing for Chelski, unlikely to see more than half a dozen 1st team matches throughout the season. But can't see Holger opting for anyone else.

Was very surprised when I woke up to this news this morning.

Don't really understand this from Schwarzer's point of view. I thought he was going to go somewhere where he'd be no.1? Like you said, I can't see him playing much at all, but I suppose he'd be clear no. 2 at a big club which plays lots of matches. Don't think he'd be getting a huge payday like some people have been saying either, wouldn't be surprised if he is getting less than he was getting at Fulham, so I don't think it's just for money.

Schwarzer taking a huge risk signing for Chelski, unlikely to see more than half a dozen 1st team matches throughout the season. But can't see Holger opting for anyone else.

I guess he won't really be getting gametime, but surely training with some of the better strikers in the world would be of some benefit to him? Might keep him in better condition for the world cup as well...

• 1 month later...

Can we sell our place in the World Cup to Qatar or Saudi Arabia, that was fucking embarrassing. Could've been 10-0 if the Brazilians had gone for the jugular. Get this dog wanking German cunt away from our National team.

We were never going to win or even push brazil in brazil, but damn that was crap. We play the same old OLD players and the same tactics that we would use against Jordan and Oman and expect to compete??? Fuck me.

Ridiculous what we started with, needed to start with something like this.

---------------Langerak/Ryan----------------

McGowan - Williams - Neill/Og - Davidson

--------------Holland - Jedinak---------------

Kruse ------------ Rogic ---------------- Oar

-------------------Kennedy--------------------

Sack Holger, Bielsa is available

the amount of time you spend talking about this guy i can only assume either a) you are him, b )  you are brainswashed by the bielsa cult or c) see a or b ;)

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Sack Holger, Bielsa is available

04 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

lets hire Bielsa, make JA his assistant. Bielsa isn't coaching at the moment and would be worth every cent, we can sub-contract him to FFA to coach the Socceroos and get most of our money back.

26 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Alternatively I'd be calling this bloke and enquiring whether he was still available to coach after Round 8 if we don't address those issues

Edited by theresonlyonebzamora

Great! So the UAE Pro League teams would be a match for any team in the A-League.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1167017/Brosque-defends-Gulf-football

That should fill us with confidence for 2014.

Don't really care what Brosque thinks tbh but Middle Eastern football definitely isn't as bad as everyone proclaims it to be, you only have to look at the national team's performances throughout the qualifiers to see that they do possess some decent local talent along with all of the money-hungry international stars they're able to attract (Gyan and Michel Bastos play for Al Ain with Alex for example even though they're easily good enough to play in a top tier Euro league).

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I believe it does matter. Whilst the players can follow their own career path, I believe that it is affecting the national team that players are no longer wanting to do the hard yards in Europe trying their best to break into the EPL, Serie A, La Liga or one of the other top or even second tier European leagues.

The A-League standard is generally not high enough when compared to international competition, and our national team players going overseas should be aiming for the highest level of competition possible.

I believe it does matter. Whilst the players can follow their own career path, I believe that it is affecting the national team that players are no longer wanting to do the hard yards in Europe trying their best to break into the EPL, Serie A, La Liga or one of the other top or even second tier European leagues.

The A-League standard is generally not high enough when compared to international competition, and our national team players going overseas should be aiming for the highest level of competition possible.

The players can do what they want, it's up to Holger or whoever the national team manager is not to select them. 

Edited by Nate
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the confusion for Holger or the FFA with who to select for the socceroos at present.  We have the older guys, who obviously aren't as good as they once were and the younger guys who maybe are never going to be that good?  So who should be selected?

Basically I think that Brazil game was a wake up call (it wasn't the 6-0 loss that was so bad, it was the fact that the score flattered us that really hurt).  If we play the "aging stars" we'll get flogged in the World Cup.  If we are going to get flogged, let's do it with some guys with a future.  I'm not saying don't pick anyone over 30 but every player over 30 needs to be under intense scrutiny for their spot.  Sorry boys- you've done a lot for the country and you got us qualified this time around as well but selectors have to be ruthless.

Come on FFA lets pick some players with a future, under a manager with a future.  Who knows, with a manager who believes, maybe they can even be competitive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a bit of luck and some commone sense Lucas Neill looking less and less likely to continue in his role as Socceroo's captain, now warming the pine at Omiya in his past 2 games. On the weekend he came off the bench in the 64th minute when his team was 1-0 up. They lost 2-1.

• Like 1

With a bit of luck and some commone sense Lucas Neill looking less and less likely to continue in his role as Socceroo's captain, now warming the pine at Omiya in his past 2 games. On the weekend he came off the bench in the 64th minute when his team was 1-0 up. They lost 2-1.

Another telling statistic: Omiya Ardija have dropped from 4th place (time of signing Luca$h) to 13th.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Group E looks like a luagh, F seems pretylty straightforward for Argentina.

We were never going to have a comfortable group, we were always going to struggle no matter whom we drew.

Theres no true group of death IMO (where any team could 'easily' win it), which is isn't a bad thing, toughest group has to be G followed probably by D.

We can score against chile. They play strong attacking football under Sampaoli, great to watch but it leaves them exposed at the back at times.

1 goal.

Every game could be potential bloodbath. Teams will attempt to score as many goals as possible to finish on top of the group.

Second placed team will go against Brazil in the next round.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome article packed with info graphics, shows Australia has the toughest individual draw, but we aren't the group of death, for the simple fact we are virtually a 'no contest'.

Group G is the real group of death, with 2nd, 5th, 14th and 24th ranked teams.

Anyway, have a geez...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/dec/18/world-cup-2014-draw-strength-of-schedule?CMP=fb_us

• Like 1

Tbh I don't think there is an official definition of "group of death." It's more of a media term.

I would consider our group to be the group of death though because 3 of the teams in our group should make it to the next round and probably further (and obviously they all can't now).

Don't think Portugal or US or Ghana are definite top 16 teams. Group D is pretty solid too but don't see many going as far as those in B.

B is the hardest group to get out of = group of death

Yes, the term is subjective, but how do you not consider Portugal as top 16? So, by your logic, only Spain, Brazil, Germany and maybe Argentina are "definite top 16"?

The US are extremely strong and Ghana are also very dangerous, having progressed to to last 16 and Qtrs in the past two WCs, no-one would be surprised if either side where to qualify for the next stage or were knock-out the Germans.

Yes, the term is subjective, but how do you not consider Portugal as top 16? So, by your logic, only Spain, Brazil, Germany and maybe Argentina are "definite top 16"?

The US are extremely strong and Ghana are also very dangerous, having progressed to to last 16 and Qtrs in the past two WCs, no-one would be surprised if either side where to qualify for the next stage or were knock-out the Germans.

Everyone would be surprised if they knocked out Germany

Actually that's no change to the number of Australians available.  This bloke lost the right to use the title "Australian" when he sold it to play for his father's country.  

I wouldn't be so dirty if he hadn't taken up a spot at the AIS that should have gone to an Aussie.    

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...