Melbourne Football

The Race for 3rd & the Elusive ACL Spot (probably)

bt50

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

According to Timmy we are fine, Valkanis is a great manager, the youth are good, the processes are fantastic, and they are all professionals, squad rotation and not having a stable team on the pitch is really good.

In the mean time Ned, Kosmina and Bosnich fell asleep.

Have faith in Timmy, we will win the final because the processes are good and they are all professionals.

Just remember we are professionals and the processes are good. Valkanis is good.

PS: we are professionals and the processes are good, Valkanis is good.

OMG!! A player didn't throw his coach and club under the bus on national TV!!!

Jesus christ :droy:

• Like 3

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

We are professionals, the processes are good. Valkanis is good.

The leader is good, the leader is great we surrender our will as of this date.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

@playmaker... Seriously, wtf do you expect players to say in interviews, especially with finals around the corner?

Just repetitive, tiresome comments you continue to dish out day after day. We get the picture, you're frustrated like everyone else is, but finding fault in everything just for the sake of it is doing my f***ing head in!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rass said:

@playmaker... Seriously, wtf do you expect players to say in interviews, especially with finals around the corner?

Just repetitive, tiresome comments you continue to dish out day after day. We get the picture, you're frustrated like everyone else is, but finding fault in everything just for the sake of it is doing my f***ing head in!

Lighten up mate, you take life way too seriously. I am having a joke if you didn't notice; unbelievable.

Oh and:

We are professionals, the processes are good. Valkanis is good

Edited by playmaker

27 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Lighten up mate, you take life way too seriously. I am having a joke if you didn't notice; unbelievable.

Aaaaah ok, i get it now. Apologies, i didn't realise that and every other one of those repetitive comments you make are jokes.

Just a tip mate, jokes are meant to be funny...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Oh and:

We are professionals, the processes are good. Valkanis is good

3 hours ago, rass said:

Aaaaah ok, i get it now. Apologies, i didn't realise that and every other one of those repetitive comments you make are jokes.

Just a tip mate, jokes are meant to be funny...

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Haz got it so I am happy. Lighten up mate.

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Haz made a Simpsons reference (which I encourage everyone to do at all avaliable opportunities)

moral of the story is that when you've tried your best and failed miserably, is to don't bother trying

back on the topic, we are farked for the third spot.  still might get a home final should we get a win in either of our last two and 

=> either Victory or Adelaide take points off WSW 

=> Perth fail to win both their last game

getting a home final is still very much so in our hands since Perth and WSW are playing catch up so its on them not to fark up in the remaining games, but still not confident.

leaves me wonder if Victory deserve any extra support.  

17 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

moral of the story is that when you've tried your best and failed miserably, is to don't bother trying

back on the topic, we are farked for the third spot.  still might get a home final should we get a win in either of our last two and 

=> either Victory or Adelaide take points off WSW 

=> Perth fail to win both their last game

getting a home final is still very much so in our hands since Perth and WSW are playing catch up so its on them not to fark up in the remaining games, but still not confident.

leaves me wonder if Victory deserve any extra support.  

Win this week and Victory get a point at least against WSW and we are rusted on for 4th.Only a huge GD reversal could see us ousted (6 or more). Prob need to win both games to pinch 3rd, and even that will be subject to Brisbane dropping the game v Perth and us making up the GD of 2.

• Like 1

Perth win tonight and we go back into 3rd ahead of the final round.
Victory take at least a point from the WSW game and we are guaranteed a home final (Perth wont make up 8 or so in GD unless they absolutely pump us next week)

Brsbane host Wellington in the final round, with a midweek ACL game at home to Kashima Antlers. 

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Perth win tonight and we go back into 3rd ahead of the final round.
Victory take at least a point from the WSW game and we are guaranteed a home final (Perth wont make up 8 or so in GD unless they absolutely pump us next week)

Brsbane host Wellington in the final round, with a midweek ACL game at home to Kashima Antlers. 

I can forsee an entirely different scenario. 

We will meet the tards in the GF.

Wanderers beat the Tards at home and beat Adelaide away. Which is more likely than not. 40 points.

Perth win tonight against an undermanned Brisbane at home and beat us which is highly probable.  39 points (gd +4 maximum )

Brisbane lose to Perth and beat Wellington. 42 points.

We lose to Perth 39 points.

Top 6.

Sydney 

Tards

Brisbane

Wanderers

City

Perth

After a deplorable display in Perth City replace Valkanis with Hodgson. In his last opportunity as a senior coach Hodgson digs deep in his bag of tricks and gives the flaky star studded City side a real shake up. In their first final away to Wanderers City find their cup winning edge and destroy the bamboozled wanderers 0:3. The following week City travel again to the Smurfs who like the Wanderers suffer a football lesson and suffer a shock 0:2 loss. This sets up a mouth watering grand final against home town rivals the Tards.

After a very tight 90 minutes the deadlock remains unbroken even though the Tards failed to convert from the spot after an amazing double save of the returned Sorensen the game moves into extra time. 

In 118th the ball is picked up wide on the right by Franjic without looking he whips in a dipping swerving cross towards the far post. Meeting before mentioned unbelievable cross is Cahill who for the previous 117 had been unsighted rises and meets the ball 3 meters in the air and sends a thunderbolt header into the top corner.

With 1 minute remaining there referee inexplicably blows the final whistle early and City are champions.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Wanderers beat the Tards at home and beat Adelaide away. Which is more likely than not. 40 points.

Perth win tonight against an undermanned Brisbane at home and beat us which is highly probable.  39 points (gd +4 maximum )

Top 6.

Sydney 

Tards

Brisbane

Wanderers

City

Perth

After a deplorable display in Perth City replace Valkanis with Hodgson. In his last opportunity as a senior coach Hodgson digs deep in his bag of tricks and gives the flaky star studded City side a real shake up. In their first final away to Wanderers City find their cup winning edge and destroy the bamboozled wanderers 0:3. The following week City travel again to the Smurfs who like the Wanderers suffer a football lesson and suffer a shock 0:2 loss. This sets up a mouth watering grand final against home town rivals the Tards.

After a very tight 90 minutes the deadlock remains unbroken even though the Tards failed to convert from the spot after an amazing double save of the returned Sorensen the game moves into extra time. 

In 118th the ball is picked up wide on the right by Franjic without looking he whips in a dipping swerving cross towards the far post. Meeting before mentioned unbelievable cross is Cahill who for the previous 117 had been unsighted rises and meets the ball 3 meters in the air and sends a thunderbolt header into the top corner.

With 1 minute remaining there referee inexplicably blows the final whistle early and City are champions.

I got goose bumps just reading this. Amazing post.

It's unlikely, but if Perth beats Brisbane and us by 3+ goals each and Brisbane gets something out of its last game, that would put us on level pegging with Perth and behind Brisbane, so it depends on what the tie breaker is, after goal difference. If it's H2H, Perth would jump us; if it's wins, we stay in front.

Now that we've (probably) done enough for at least a fourth place finish, it's difficult to know what to hope for from Perth v Brisbane. The Heart/City supporter in me would probably like a draw, just to cement the home final, but a tiny piece of me would like a big Perth victory to put us in third at the end of the round and give us a golden opportunity to cross the Nullarbor next week and actually earn that third spot at the end of the season, in a finals-like atmosphere..

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well Perth need to turn around a 9 goal defecit in 2 games. I view that as impossible.

1 minute ago, SF33 said:

It's unlikely, but if Perth beats Brisbane and us by 3+ goals each and Brisbane gets something out of its last game, that would put us on level pegging with Perth and behind Brisbane, so it depends on what the tie breaker is, after goal difference. If it's H2H, Perth would jump us; if it's wins, we stay in front.

Now that we've (probably) done enough for at least a fourth place finish, it's difficult to know what to hope for from Perth v Brisbane. The Heart/City supporter in me would probably like a draw, just to cement the home final, but a tiny piece of me would like a big Perth victory to put us in third at the end of the round and give us a golden opportunity to cross the Nullarbor next week and actually earn that third spot at the end of the season, in a finals-like atmosphere..

At the completion of the Regular Season Clubs are ranked from one (1) through to ten (10), with the first six (6) Clubs progressing to the Finals Series. The position of each Club will be determined based on the following criteria:

1. Highest number of points accumulated during the Regular Season;
  2. If two (2) or more Clubs are level on points accumulated, the following criteria is applied, in order, until one (1) of the Clubs can be determined as the higher ranked Club in respect of:
  3. Highest positive goal difference;
  4. Highest number of goals scored;
  5. Highest number of points accumulated in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
  6. Highest goal difference in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
  7. Lowest number of Red Cards accumulated;
  8. Lowest number of Yellow Cards accumulated;
  9. Toss of a coin.

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about/competition-rules/1aw1ybfl0o1uo1k3rz9suqvqbb#sthash.9LpYatfO.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about/competition-rules/1aw1ybfl0o1uo1k3rz9suqvqbb#3kB2Lr1U7LB1SOG2.99

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

At the completion of the Regular Season Clubs are ranked from one (1) through to ten (10), with the first six (6) Clubs progressing to the Finals Series. The position of each Club will be determined based on the following criteria:

1. Highest number of points accumulated during the Regular Season;
  2. If two (2) or more Clubs are level on points accumulated, the following criteria is applied, in order, until one (1) of the Clubs can be determined as the higher ranked Club in respect of:
  3. Highest positive goal difference;
  4. Highest number of goals scored;
  5. Highest number of points accumulated in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
  6. Highest goal difference in Matches between the Clubs concerned;
  7. Lowest number of Red Cards accumulated;
  8. Lowest number of Yellow Cards accumulated;
  9. Toss of a coin.

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about/competition-rules/1aw1ybfl0o1uo1k3rz9suqvqbb#sthash.9LpYatfO.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about/competition-rules/1aw1ybfl0o1uo1k3rz9suqvqbb#3kB2Lr1U7LB1SOG2.99

Well, we're both on 45 goals right now, so criteria 4 won't be good for us, if Perth finishes with two wins.

Ok, Perth wins by two goals, which is a pretty good result for us, I think (famous last words?). They will need to beat us by four goals to overtake us.

So, unless I'm missing anything and leaving aside the possibility of us being smashed by 4+ against Perth:

If we win
We will stay in front of Brisbane and retain third place, unless they beat Wellington by two goals more than we beat Perth.

If we draw
We will stay in front of Brisbane and retain third place, unless they beat Wellington.

If we lose
Brisbane will go ahead of us, unless they also lose

It also seems pretty straightforward, for our potential 5th/6th opponent:

If Perth wins by 1-3 goals
Perth finishes fifth and the first final is probably a return leg at AAMI

If we draw against Perth
Perth finishes fifth, unless Wanderers beat Adelaide (in Adelaide)

If Perth loses against us
Wanderers go ahead of them with a draw or win against Adelaide.

So, funnily enough, if there's a winner and a loser either way at NIB Stadium, the result is probably a home final against Perth at AAMI. If we draw, it's not as clear who will finish where.

Edited by SF33

5 hours ago, hakz7 said:

I really don't want to finish 3rd. Don't want the prospect of another derby. Especially at Etihad!

But the other option is Sydney in Sydney  (assuming they win). 

Is it a lock that it will be at Ethihad. What if Ethihad is not available? An Aami Derby Semi would be super.

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But the other option is Sydney in Sydney  (assuming they win). 

Is it a lock that it will be at Ethihad. What if Ethihad is not available? An Aami Derby Semi would be super.

Just had a look. Storm issnt playing that week and there is an afl game both on the Friday and Saturday nights at Etihad 

Well this has been the perfect round for us really. Perhaps a couple extra goals from us would have been ideal but all in all we should have our fate in our own hands as far as third goes. Maybe we can offer to buy the Welly players a barrel if they can get a win for us haha

IMO our most likely finish is 4th.

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Moreover, despite the awful season we've had, it looks like we can't finish any lower than last year, and we've won a cup into the bargain.  So bizarrely this season could already be viewed as an improvement on last, even though qualitatively it's been far less enjoyable...

A better under-achievement than last season's under-achievement...

On 4/8/2017 at 10:19 AM, Jovan said:

Top 6.

Sydney 

Tards

Brisbane

Wanderers

City

Perth

AAWWW i just love fairy stories, hmmm.

• Like 1

Whichever way it pans out, here are the details (so far) of the finals.

FINALS SERIES

Weekend 21-22-23 April: 4 v 5 and 3 v 6

Weekend 28-30 April: 1 v lowest ranked winner from week 1, 2 v highest ranked winner from week 1

Sunday 7 May: GRAND FINAL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Referring to whether the AFL have games there on Fri/Sat/Sun night which would make it unavailable for aleague use

Etihad has been left vacant for the Fridau night that week, so you can lock in a a derby semi for Friday 28th April at Etihad if thats what eventuates.

For the first week, WSW play acl on the Wednesday so whoever gets them will play Friday night, whoever gets Perth will play Saturday or Sunday night. Aami is available for all of those nights.

Edited by bt50