Melbourne Football

City vs Western Sydney, Tuesday 12th March 2024, K.O. 7.00 p.m.

jw1739

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Well the last two times City had that size win, the losing coach was unemployed by the morning.

They just gave him a contract extension a few weeks back. Awkward...🤣

1 hour ago, haz said:

Caputo >> Jmac 

He definitely stepped up to the plate and is going to keep Jamie out of the 11 for a while longer. 

Perhaps longer than most would expect...🤔

Well, that was a surprisingly competent performance. It's not surprising because the players didn't have it in them; they had done it before. It's surprising because prior to the last game, there was no sign of the fluency and positivity that we saw tonight.

Positives:

Caputo - he links play in midfield, holds up the ball, makes intelligent runs and has an eye for goal. No wonder he was in the top 100 ranked juniors when he was 16.

Arslan - enjoying his football

We played forward passes instead of the expected backward passes we've seen all season and kept the pressure on WSW all night

Not all our goals were from counter-attacks, and three of our six forwards scored. This was without Leckie and Tilio

We pressed intelligently, the first time I've seen this all season and frequently overloaded both the WSW midfield and backline.

It was really good to see JMac finally score a goal; I'd still start Caputo at the moment, though.

Negatives:

In the words of Tyrion Lannister,“It’s easy to confuse what is with what ought to be, especially when what is has worked out in your favour”
The result was a little flattering; we still need to tighten up at the back; we were saved, once again, by Jamie Young and by WSW's profligacy.

Natel is extremely frustrating to watch; moments of brilliance followed by periods of frustration

Edited by belaguttman
  • Thanks 1

Antonis goal of the season. Not player of the match though. Nuno was my POM. Was immense, passed the ball through the lines perfectly time and time again and scored a goal. Unfortunately seems he has fallen of people's radar this evening. 

• Like 1

My first match since before my accident
Great in parts, sloppy in others when we over-elaborated and we were saved several times by Young and some great defensive blocks.
Natel and Jakolis are such frustrating players, the former particularly so. Stops the forward momentum too often for my liking.
But great contributions all over the park, particularly Caputo, Arslan and Fernandez for me. JMac looked a lot sharper too, when he came on.
And they all did look as though they were enjoying their football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My first match since before my accident
Great in parts, sloppy in others when we over-elaborated and we were saved several times by Young and some great defensive blocks.
Natel and Jakolis are such frustrating players, the former particularly so. Stops the forward momentum too often for my liking.
But great contributions all over the park, particularly Caputo, Arslan and Fernandez for me. JMac looked a lot sharper too, when he came on.
And they all did look as though they were enjoying their football.

Good to have you back jw. Just a select few of us there tonight but we enjoyed ourselves!

Was very glad to be there last night.  We should have had two goals in the 1st 10 minutes and sure as hell made up for that as the game went on.

The four big things I noticed from last night that WSW couldnt deal with ...

1 - Caputo gave us a proper focal point

2 - Our CBs carried the ball quicker with more purpose and looked to play to the wingers, instead of the full backs.  Normally we go slow and predictable to our full backs.  This then allowed our FBs to push up and we created overloads out wide, opening up central passages that were then effectively used (as well as wide attacks)

3 - We were better positioned to win the wall back and were a lot more aggressive in doing so

4 - Our CDM pairing of SU and Jeggo worked very well last night relative to point 2

I spoke briefly with JMAC after the game.  He still did not seem content, even with his goal (and a disallowed one) ... if we can keep on a run, and get into good positions in a game before he comes on, I think he will def play himself back into form.

The crowd was literally stunned after the Antonis goal.  Its easy In the best 3 I've ever seen.  Would rate it higher than Orlando's ... maybe also pips Cahill's. 

SUCK IT RUDAN!!

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/3/2024 at 2:10 PM, Torn Asunder said:

2 - Our CBs carried the ball quicker with more purpose and looked to play to the wingers, instead of the full backs.  Normally we go slow and predictable to our full backs.  This then allowed our FBs to push up and we created overloads out wide, opening up central passages that were then effectively used (as well as wide attacks)

3 - We were better positioned to win the wall back and were a lot more aggressive in doing so

We've been playing far more vertically the last two games; ironically, much more the way that Man City plays.

Our mobility overloaded every WSW line and our pressing was coordinated, it was great to see.

Imagine if we could find a way to play both Caputo and JMac...

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Attendance: 2,182.

Lowest-ever League attendance at AAMI. Previously 2,292. Both against WSW.

Lowest in the Cup at AAMI: 1,800 or 2,905 in September 2018 (depending on the source). Again WSW.

Antonis' goal almost 10 years to the day since Engelaar's in 2014.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was there and 2,000 was my absolute maximum. I wasn't at Saturday's match but there have been a few in the past where "creative" seems an appropriate word...

A couple of other points. I get the feeling that there was no VAR on Tuesday? Also we don't seem to be able to find enough ball-boys these days...

5 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Does anyone know why we are not playing a match for 2 weeks now????

4 hours ago, HughJass said:

International window, Australia playing Lebanon next week 

We were also due to play the Mariners but they were in India last night. It's been pushed back to April 2nd