Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

How about we forget most of this "platform" shit and focus on football in the stadium and getting better quality on the pitch and more fans in the stands? Focus on what you really understand (well, in APL's case, possibly understand?) before launching into new business areas.
And I await with interest the resignations or cullings of at least some of the executive suits and directors who have overseen the disaster that is APL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's costing the A-League $12m to broadcast matches. Is it worth it?

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/tv-blackout-chance-as-a-league-chase-missing-money-606504

It's the only way that I'll get to watch matches.

Don't forget, it's also the way that the League gets showcased to the rest of the world, so it facilitates recruitment in and out of the League

Interestingly after 3 clean sheets in a row we now have the 4th best defensive record in the league. On the flip side we have the equal 6th highest goals scored.

Everyone is looking off individuals to blame but for me aside from a handful of games we haven’t really looked like a side where the players understood what their team mates were likely to do in possession 

(Updated with the correct info)

Edited by D.B. Cooper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Interestingly after 3 clean sheets in a row we now have the 4th best defensive record in the league. On the flip side we have the equal 6th highest goals scored.

Everyone is looking off individuals to blame but for me aside from a handful of games we haven’t really looked like a side where the players understood what their team mates were likely to do in possession 

I agree. And that boils down to the coaching which either has no idea or cannot communicate the game plan to the players. Worse still is that the players have lost faith in the coaching staff and therefore decide to take the game on by themselves.

4 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

We now play with a double pivot, neither of them comes close to O"Neill's influence, either defensively or in attack, but in tightening up our defence, it has cost us offensively.

Remarkable by the girls if they can hold on. After a poor run mostly due to sale of players, dropping out of the top 2, results going our way in recent weeks - what a way to still win the title! 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I agree. And that boils down to the coaching which either has no idea or cannot communicate the game plan to the players. Worse still is that the players have lost faith in the coaching staff and therefore decide to take the game on by themselves.

I don't think that this is a given. Whatever Rado's coaching credentials, after he took over from PK he did enough for the club to win a Premiership. The wheels appear to have fallen off before the Grand Final.

I haven't looked up the precise date, but early this season he went to Petrillo and said he couldn't get any more out of the squad and after a discussion it was agreed that he should resign. Aurelio replaced him, and prima facie it appears as though he has not been able to turn things around. It's not unknown for players or staff to walk out on contracts, but we have had several - perhaps that's coincidence, perhaps it's not.

Maybe we have to realise that despite best intentions, and despite having players who, individually, look to be a good squad on paper, just do not put it together on the field? Newcastle's tactics on Saturday were obvious, and we played right into their hands and just kept on doing it until the final whistle. How many times did our wingers fail to put the cross on target? How many times did we have the ball in front of goal and not pull the trigger? This is not down to the coach, the ref., the injuries - this is the players with the ball.

On the matter of statistics, these can be very misleading. You can have the worst goals against record by a mile but win every match 6-5 and you'll win the League. Likewise you can have the best defensive record in the League and lose every match 0-1 and be dead last. Of course these are extreme cases - ludicrous probably - but they illustrate my point.

I think we have to accept that we don't deserve to be anywhere else on the table than where we are. I'm definitely not suggesting that we retain Aurelio, but I do think that he has done his best, and I think we need a clean-out of players, a coach with a good track record, and trust that we can recruit a more cohesive squad for next season. I might dislike CFG ownership, but we are financially stable, and we do have that advantage over most if not all the other clubs. That is always in our favour.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that this is a given. Whatever Rado's coaching credentials, after he took over from PK he did enough for the club to win a Premiership. The wheels appear to have fallen off before the Grand Final.

I haven't looked up the precise date, but early this season he went to Petrillo and said he couldn't get any more out of the squad and after a discussion it was agreed that he should resign. Aurelio replaced him, and prima facie it appears as though he has not been able to turn things around. It's not unknown for players or staff to walk out on contracts, but we have had several - perhaps that's coincidence, perhaps it's not.

Maybe we have to realise that despite best intentions, and despite having players who, individually, look to be a good squad on paper, just do not put it together on the field? Newcastle's tactics on Saturday were obvious, and we played right into their hands and just kept on doing it until the final whistle. How many times did our wingers fail to put the cross on target? How many times did we have the ball in front of goal and not pull the trigger? This is not down to the coach, the ref., the injuries - this is the players with the ball.

On the matter of statistics, these can be very misleading. You can have the worst goals against record by a mile but win every match 6-5 and you'll win the League. Likewise you can have the best defensive record in the League and lose every match 0-1 and be dead last. Of course these are extreme cases - ludicrous probably - but they illustrate my point.

I think we have to accept that we don't deserve to be anywhere else on the table than where we are. I'm definitely not suggesting that we retain Aurelio, but I do think that he has done his best, and I think we need a clean-out of players, a coach with a good track record, and trust that we can recruit a more cohesive squad for next season. I might dislike CFG ownership, but we are financially stable, and we do have that advantage over most if not all the other clubs. That is always in our favour.

I agree that the team is not gelling, for whatever reason, and that a lot of players are coming off contract as is A. Vidmar. So I can presume that the club has been doing intensive scouting but to me the question remains as to whether we should keep A. Vidmar, and I really see him as a last resort.

13 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I agree that the team is not gelling, for whatever reason, and that a lot of players are coming off contract as is A. Vidmar. So I can presume that the club has been doing intensive scouting but to me the question remains as to whether we should keep A. Vidmar, and I really see him as a last resort.

My answer to the latter is that I hope that we can find a good coach elsewhere, and that he can be appointed such that he can have at least some input into new signings. Perhaps that's a pipe-dream...

On 1/4/2024 at 11:20 AM, jw1739 said:

Our big issue is in front of goals: we have been far less efficient in converting chances this season, mostly down to JMac's form slump, related, I think, to giving him the captaincy and to the near-total absence all season of Leckie, Nabbout and then Tilio. Jakolis is good, in parts, but inconsistent. I'd put Natel on the plane back to Brazil unless we are paying him a low wage

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

By my reckoning with 27 matches in all the top two are decided - Central Coast and Wellington. As Wellington are not eligible for AFC competitions Central Coast will play in the Asian Champions League and the third-placed team will play in the other AFC competition. My guess is that Victory will come third.

Truly a shit season for us. Nothing to be proud of whatsoever.

Edited by jw1739

16 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yep second this... We don't deserve to make the top 6.

I disagree sorry, well for now anyway. Definitely don't deserve to be anywhere near the top 4, but we've already beaten the team we're fighting for 6th 7-0. Our expectations aside, can't say WSW deserve that last final spot before us.

Will change my mind if they beat us next game though. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rass said:

I disagree sorry, well for now anyway. Definitely don't deserve to be anywhere near the top 4, but we've already beaten the team we're fighting for 6th 7-0. Our expectations aside, can't say WSW deserve that last final spot before us.

Will change my mind if they beat us next game though. 

You are allowed to disagree of course. I just find us way too hot and cold. Today as an example. We belt the weak teams then lose against teams we should be able to beat. Whole season has been frustrating at best!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You are allowed to disagree of course. I just find us way too hot and cold. Today as an example. We belt the weak teams then lose against teams we should be able to beat. Whole season has been frustrating at best!

Interesting. Certainly we're inconsistent but neither Brisbane nor WSW are weak sides, Brisbane latterly but not so much at the time we beat them. And we beat Wellington only a few weeks ago. We're just plain inconsistent. Capable of being good one week and bloody useless by comparison only days later.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, citypool said:

I always have. Sometimes I watch European games and wonder why we consider our product to be so inferior. Sure the top four are several notches above the rest, but the rest are not that impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I always have. Sometimes I watch European games and wonder why we consider our product to be so inferior. Sure the top four are several notches above the rest, but the rest are not that impressive.

Is it because the A-League is seen as being run on a shoestring budget and hence no "big name players"? 

It doesn't make sense that if you enjoy the game of football you would completely snub the local product over watching European clubs play in the early hours...

I think as more home grown local talent emerges through the league, and kids grow up with the game it will grow larger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Is it because the A-League is seen as being run on a shoestring budget and hence no "big name players"? 

It doesn't make sense that if you enjoy the game of football you would completely snub the local product over watching European clubs play in the early hours...

I think as more home grown local talent emerges through the league, and kids grow up with the game it will grow larger.

Two  incidents in my life does not give me great optimism: me selling car radios (as a hi-fi enthusiast) and hearing "I don't care what it sounds like, as long as it looks good" & second being at a professional wine tasting (as a budding alcoholic) and me getting a bollocking from another drunk after tipping a disgusting wine down the sink which was also the most expensive wine on the night only to find out a few minutes later that the wine was so poor that the marketing guy recommended to get a designer label and charge like a wounded bull so that most people thought that the price meant it was good. I feel the same way about people who watch European football, they get told that it is the best and how expensive it really is so they assume that it must be good. But have an in-depth talk about football tactics, team cohesion, what each player brings to the team and sports psychology and watch them run away.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Two  incidents in my life does not give me great optimism: me selling car radios (as a hi-fi enthusiast) and hearing "I don't care what it sounds like, as long as it looks good" & second being at a professional wine tasting (as a budding alcoholic) and me getting a bollocking from another drunk after tipping a disgusting wine down the sink which was also the most expensive wine on the night only to find out a few minutes later that the wine was so poor that the marketing guy recommended to get a designer label and charge like a wounded bull so that most people thought that the price meant it was good. I feel the same way about people who watch European football, they get told that it is the best and how expensive it really is so they assume that it must be good. But have an in-depth talk about football tactics, team cohesion, what each player brings to the team and sports psychology and watch them run away.

I largely agree. I watch only EPL highlights, and only some, mainly because of the family connection and loyalty to Arsenal, and because I play EPL Fantasy, and occasionally highlights of matches involving clubs that I've taken an interest in as the years roll on - such as SV Hamburg.

I don't watch the A-League streamed matches, and watch only the highlights of City matches.

I don't know, but I suspect that quite a few of A-League regulars probably have a recent overseas heritage, and therefore have an in-built loyalty to their home-town or adopted club in another country - much as I do - and especially those who came to Australia as adults. And I think that colours our vision a bit. Also I think the A-League suffers from most, if not all, matches being played in over-sized stadiums (as do many other overseas clubs of course, particularly those that have slipped down the pyramid) and this does not make for good viewing. And I would have to say that in terms of City (and CFG) the club just does not go out of its way to embrace fans and spectators, and neither does APL or the previous administration with a seemingly never-ending succession of missteps. It seems to me that we are held at arms-length. I, for one, have repeatedly suggested to the club things they could do to spark interest, but to no avail. The FRG is the classic current example.

This is not confined to football. Doesn't matter how good the product is, if the marketing is not there then the product won't sell.

I think all of these things contribute to an opinion that our football is not worthy of support or interest.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

So the plate is for CCM to lose. Would not be surprised if they won both.

Consecutive years playing Asian football too.  Well done! Deserve everyone's congratulations.

And Victory likely to finish third and also be in Asia.

Wake up City.

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Do you mean plate and grand final or AFC Cup? They potentially could come away with all 3 trophies this season... 🤔

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Consecutive years playing Asian football too.  Well done! Deserve everyone's congratulations.

And Victory likely to finish third and also be in Asia.

Wake up City.

Did not expect this at all with the talent that departed the club! They have done well this season!

5 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Do you mean plate and grand final or AFC Cup? They potentially could come away with all 3 trophies this season... 🤔

Did not expect this at all with the talent that departed the club! They have done well this season!

Quite frankly, City should be embarrassed at our season. As has been pointed out, take away the three big wins and we have been poor. Mariners, seemingly on the brink of financial difficulties all the time, have shown what can be done with club spirit, whereas we have become complacent.

Phoenix too have lived up to their name. A great season from them.

Congratulations to everyone concerned. Money ain't everything. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the season proper is over. Most of our squad departed after the last one and of those left they were either injured or out of form. As such it was a complete rebuild. Eventually the players started to play as a team but it seemed take most of the season. We played brillantly at times, but were often lacklustre.

We finished 6th, only 3 points behind 3rd but potentially 16 points behind first.

Finals will be interesting. If we can keep Arslan and Leckie on the field we are a threat to anyone. Without one or both we’ll struggle and will need more than our fair share of luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Made finals for the tenth season in a row which is a positive. No other club has had that sort of consistency. 

I was surprised by this record, would have thought there would be other teams as well.

But we don’t care about finals right, right guys? 😝

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Made finals for the tenth season in a row which is a positive. No other club has had that sort of consistency. 

Not sure that this is the last gasp of an excellent yet ageing team or the blooding of new players meaning that the team is on the rise again.

31 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Not sure that this is the last gasp of an excellent yet ageing team or the blooding of new players meaning that the team is on the rise again.

This seasons team is more the last gasp ageing as we didn't really blood anyone. Well at least not as regular starting first 11 players...

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This seasons team is more the last gasp ageing as we didn't really blood anyone. Well at least not as regular starting first 11 players...

Well we tried Lopane instead of Grimaldi; and Schriebler who got injured. Persevered with Talbot. But at least Caputo made a fist of the little time he had.

On 20/04/2024 at 7:09 AM, NewConvert said:

They are in the final of that Asian competition as well, it could very well be a clean sweep for them.

• Like 1