Melbourne Football

Matchday(s) 16/17

Dylan

On 3/4/2017 at 9:58 AM, Tony999 said:

Typical pro AFL/NRL crap from the Aussie Anti-Sokka Media...

Only just the other day hours before an AFL Preseason Match, Geelong and Adelaide Fans arranged to meet each other in Dark Jackets and hats and hit each other with poles. :droy:

Then there is the 30 blokes on a Bucks Day who got evicted at the same cricket match because the groom was being dragged out the ground for being too drunk. How many were evicted from the SFC vs MV game??? :droy:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2017 at 2:08 PM, cadete said:

Typical pro AFL/NRL crap from the Aussie Anti-Sokka Media...

Only just the other day hours before an AFL Preseason Match, Geelong and Adelaide Fans arranged to meet each other in Dark Jackets and hats and hit each other with poles. :droy:

Then there is the 30 blokes on a Bucks Day who got evicted at the same cricket match because the groom was being dragged out the ground for being too drunk. How many were evicted from the SFC vs MV game??? :droy:

I hear ya homie. I'm suprised they didn't say the sokkah fight was ethnic tension.

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I hear ya homie. I'm suprised they didn't say the sokkah fight was ethnic tension.

FWIW the NSL at its worst in terms of Soccer Violence could be absolute anarchy and so much worse that what is seen today but as certain clubs had well and truly left the league towards the end elevating Ethnic Tension with other club... Good examples in Melbourne being JUST and Preston.

It now be fair to say that with this blatant display of weapons that the A-League hooligan problem could now be placed alongside the worst of the last couple years of the NSL.

58 minutes ago, cadete said:

FWIW the NSL at its worst in terms of Soccer Violence could be absolute anarchy and so much worse that what is seen today but as certain clubs had well and truly left the league towards the end elevating Ethnic Tension with other club... Good examples in Melbourne being JUST and Preston.

It now be fair to say that with this blatant display of weapons that the A-League hooligan problem could now be placed alongside the worst of the last couple years of the NSL.

Same culprits. Just kick Victree out. Problem solved.

Next.

I heard head Tard Robson on SEN discussing it. These flogs went to a Sydney hang out zone looking for a blue. Tard security (they send security to "high risk" away games) were able to identify who they were from the footage, told the cops, who went round and arrested them. Simples.

Not sure they should be banning these tards, they should be imprisioning them (if deporting is not an option)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, haz said:

Should have been:

-Free kick to Brisbane

-McGowan yellow

-Theo red

Eitherway, suck shit Aloisi hope you go off your nut in the press conference and get banned.

Not sure what the actual interpretation of the rules are, but imo it should be the same as it is in footy in that the most recent free kick is the one awarded. Footballers (soccer) seem to get away with poor discipline when it comes to retaliation way too much imo, obviously being a cultural thing.

As with the Brandan one against Perth, penalty should stand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Not sure what the actual interpretation of the rules are, but imo it should be the same as it is in footy in that the most recent free kick is the one awarded. Footballers (soccer) seem to get away with poor discipline when it comes to retaliation way too much imo, obviously being a cultural thing.

As with the Brandan one against Perth, penalty should stand.

The first offence takes precedence. Haz's summation is correct.

On another note does the MRP or FFA have the ability to do something about the dive from the young Adelaide player?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, malloy said:

On another note does the MRP or FFA have the ability to do something about the dive from the young Adelaide player?

If they had the power they never did anything about Kilkenny, Brandán or North. But I guess in those cases there was contact whereas McGree's was pure simulation. I highly doubt any action will be taken though.

16 minutes ago, haz said:

If they had the power they never did anything about Kilkenny, Brandán or North. But I guess in those cases there was contact whereas McGree's was pure simulation. I highly doubt any action will be taken though.

It wasn't really a dive but wasn't a free kick either, It's one of those ones where a player expects contact so they move their leg away from the tackle, but then at the last minute the tackle doesn't come in 

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

What will JA do when his brother is sanctioned for the remainder of the season. 

Im surprised he hasn't accused the Adelaide Assistant of "Anti Football" and told the police to watch out for him going down to easily for the foul.

On 19/03/2017 at 7:36 PM, haz said:

Should have been:

-Free kick to Brisbane

-McGowan yellow

-Theo red

Eitherway, suck shit Aloisi hope you go off your nut in the press conference and get banned.

Do you reckon that's a red to Theo? McGowan is hanging off him stopping him playing and he kind of just looked like he was trying to shake him off (though there might be a bit of "accidentally on purpose" in there).

Also if that had been an MMA fight for money you reckon McGowan would have left his feet?

From a justice point of view (vs the laws) I'd be happy with Bris free then 2x yellow or 2x red. 

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Do you reckon that's a red to Theo? McGowan is hanging off him stopping him playing and he kind of just looked like he was trying to shake him off (though there might be a bit of "accidentally on purpose" in there).

Also if that had been an MMA fight for money you reckon McGowan would have left his feet?

From a justice point of view (vs the laws) I'd be happy with Bris free then 2x yellow or 2x red. 

Going off my refereeing experience and training, first thing first is that it's a red no matter what, you simply can't strike someone.

What should have happened is that as soon as Theo was grabbed and impeded by McGowan the ref should have blown a foul, this would have stopped the strike occurring. What I assume went through the refs head was that he allowed the game to continue because the whole point McGowan grabbed him was to stop the counter attack, by blowing the foul he would have done exactly what McGowan was trying to do, stop the counter attack. But since the ref didn't call the foul (or signal advantage) he had no choice to call the strike and award a penalty as this was the first 'called foul'.

Anyways that's how I saw it, others would have their own option.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, haz said:

Going off my refereeing experience and training, first thing first is that it's a red no matter what, you simply can't strike someone.

What should have happened is that as soon as Theo was grabbed and impeded by McGowan the ref should have blown a foul, this would have stopped the strike occurring. What I assume went through the refs head was that he allowed the game to continue because the whole point McGowan grabbed him was to stop the counter attack, by blowing the foul he would have done exactly what McGowan was trying to do, stop the counter attack. But since the ref didn't call the foul (or signal advantage) he had no choice to call the strike and award a penalty as this was the first 'called foul'.

Yeah seems reasonable. 

When refs let physical stuff go, they are inviting escalation.

Anyway I know it's not a red for McGowan, but I'd love it to be. Shit like that is a blight on the game as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Correct. Clear red once Theo elbows McGowan in the face. Absolutely stupid loss of self-control by Theo that cost his side a point.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Correct. Clear red once Theo elbows McGowan in the face. Absolutely stupid loss of self-control by Theo that cost his side a point.

As well as potentially ruining his coaches career. But Ross should still have no excuse for striking another person if that did occur.

5 minutes ago, haz said:

As well as potentially ruining his coaches career. But Ross should still have no excuse for striking another person if that did occur.

None whatsoever.

I know we criticise referees on here, but they must dread seeing any foul in the box in the last few minutes of a match. It's a Catch-22 - whatever they do they are going to be pilloried.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

None whatsoever.

I know we criticise referees on here, but they must dread seeing any foul in the box in the last few minutes of a match. It's a Catch-22 - whatever they do they are going to be pilloried.

Ive done a couple Q-NPL games, but the worse games I've done and been "pilloried" was an over 35s comp at my local club. Even a high school teacher of mine playing was dishing out the abuse.

The key to being a good referee in my opinion is to be consistent, and not think the game is about you. Although Ben Williams was considered a bad ref, atleast he was consistent and players should know that he regularly handed out cards.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

None whatsoever.

It's a tough gig for sure. I try to never criticise amateurs and if I react because I can't help myself I pull my head in pretty quickly. They have 1 chance to see something and can't have eyes in the back of their head or see around corners.

i do think our elite refs aren't good enough though and we need to find a way to help them improve.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, haz said:

Ive done a couple Q-NPL games, but the worse games I've done and been "pilloried" was an over 35s comp at my local club. Even a high school teacher of mine playing was dishing out the abuse.

The key to being a good referee in my opinion is to be consistent, and not think the game is about you. Although Ben Williams was considered a bad ref, atleast he was consistent and players should know that he regularly handed out cards.

I played several seasons in the over 35s. Some real quality players and some absolute num nuts. Every week the Ref was hammered. By the end of one of the seasons refs refused to turn up to our home games.  

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I played several seasons in the over 35s. Some real quality players and some absolute num nuts. Every week the Ref was hammered. By the end of one of the seasons refs refused to turn up to our home games.  

Yea I realised that, just have to learn to cope with it.

The most memorable moment from that tournament was getting elbowed in the face (accidentally... I think) with the whistle in my mouth, busted my lip, the whistled filled with blood and I called half time 5 minutes early. I officiated the 2nd half holding an ice pack to my face :tooth:.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Yea I realised that, just have to learn to cope with it.

The most memorable moment from that tournament was getting elbowed in the face (accidentally... I think) with the whistle in my mouth, busted my lip, the whistled filled with blood and I called half time 5 minutes early. I officiated the 2nd half holding an ice pack to my face :tooth:.

Outa likes but that's a classic. 

11 hours ago, haz said:

Imo if he was letting play continue so they would not be disadvantaged (i.e. playing advantage) the ref should still bring the play back for the first foul.

3 hours ago, malloy said:

Imo if he was letting play continue so they would not be disadvantaged (i.e. playing advantage) the ref should still bring the play back for the first foul.

Thats what should have happened, but he shot himself in the foot not signalling the advantage.