Melbourne Football

Matchday(s) 16/17

Dylan

16 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

going by the app updates seems a standard victory game with a gypsy pen and sheep shagging tap in 

They might only be tap-ins but they have to create those first. When was the last time City scored with a simple tap-in? Also bear in mind that we've scored 22 league goals this season of which 5 have been penalties (and we missed two penalties as well).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

They might only be tap-ins but they have to create those first. When was the last time City scored with a simple tap-in? Also bear in mind that we've scored 22 league goals this season of which 5 have been penalties (and we missed two penalties as well).

Cahill to Bruno FFA Cup quarter final?

24 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

How did we scrape a draw against ccm ffs, they are shit 

Was thinking the same, but then again Ferrera just skied a penalty that would have brought CCM level.

Add to that; Galloway just scored, only for Carney to put Sydney up from an offside position.

WTF!?!?

13 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

That's a Premium article that some of us can't access. Could you quote the relevant bits please?

Edited by jw1739

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's a Premium article that some of us can't access. Could you quote the relevant bits please?

Premium Article my arse lol

A-League: Dramatic drop in Melbourne flare use pleases police, soccer authorities

Peter Rolfe

POLICE and soccer authorities believe feral fans may have finally got the message they are not welcome at Melbourne matches after a dramatic drop in the use of flares.

Football Federation Australia and Victoria Police have praised the behaviour of A-League crowds this season.

In a win for most fans who behave, not one flare has been ignited at a Melbourne match since mid-October.

Police have detected four flares so far this season compared with more than 50 at the same stage last year.

Police have detected four flares, including this one at October’s Melbourne derby, so far this season compared with more than 50 at the same stage last year. Picture: George Salpigtidis
The drop has partially been attributed to the collapse of Melbourne Victory active supporter group North Terrace three months ago.

Members were told they could no longer do what they wanted in the stands.

But FFA chief executive David Gallop said fans “deserve great credit’’ for behaving, as well as for creating a unique atmosphere at Victorian stadiums.

“There are sometimes people who go too far or do the wrong thing,’’ he said.

“But this is always the minority and in the past year even those incidents have reduced dramatically, largely through self-policing by fans, in co-operation with the clubs and the FFA,” Mr Gallop said.

The Herald Sun this year revealed that “minimum standards’’ would be introduced to active areas, including requirements that fans stay in allocated spaces rather than be allowed to cluster in groups.

There was also more accountability around the identity of supporters in active areas, and police were given powers to unmask hooligans.

The reforms followed the discovery of 118 flares and explosives the previous season.

Superintendent Peter O’Neill said police had worked closely with the FFA, clubs and stakeholders in a bid to stamp out poor behaviour among a minority of fans.

“It’s great to see some of that hard work paying off,’’ Supt O’Neill said. “This season we have seen improved crowd behaviour and we look forward to it continuing throughout the season.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/aleague-dramatic-drop-in-melbourne-flare-use-pleases-police-soccer-authorities/news-story/63b0ebd6f5b6b7b9a28de9e5a20878fe

1 minute ago, HEARTinator said:

One of the clear footballing differences between us and the Tards is that they don't fcuk about when they attack. It's fast and bullet passes. Compare that to our pedestrian efforts and you can easily see why we've been crap :mellow:

I just don't know how hard it is for the coaching staff to see this, it's so fucking frustrating!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

I just don't know how hard it is for the coaching staff to see this, it's so fucking frustrating!

Ran out of :up:. But yeah, the stats that Bella shows in the other thread would be available to our donkeys so why have we not been able to match the best in the league? Answer is easy. JVS LEGACY and Valkanis would be smart to turn around the mindset ASAP or else he'll have no chance at the top job. Zero.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 8:32 PM, haz said:

The people who say we're FFA City and get all the calls in our favour have got to realise that the refereeing standard in the HAL is horrible.

Tbh I'm not sure we've had the rub of the green in a game since the FFA Cup Final. We seemed to get a good run in the first couple months though. Either way its swings and roundabouts as it always has been.

Refereeing isnt any better or worse here than anywhere else in the world imo.

Edited by bt50

doubt there's a worse officiated league in the world, just about every game has a massive error that swings the game, no consequences for the idiots and now some of them are full time and you can't tell the difference, then they go and embarrass themselves in major tournaments too.
Definitely remember one gimp getting death threats from the asian cup, think they was an abortion of a performance at the world cup and possibly club world cup 

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

Refereeing isnt any better or worse here than anywhere else in the world imo.

That's a fairly big statement. I don't know of every league in the world and the quality of refereeing but the leagues I watch the refereeing is by far and away better. Some of the blunders made game to game in one round, let alone a whole season, put us in a different class of mediocre to a lot of leagues out there. 

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That's a fairly big statement. I don't know of every league in the world and the quality of refereeing but the leagues I watch the refereeing is by far and away better. Some of the blunders made game to game in one round, let alone a whole season, put us in a different class of mediocre to a lot of leagues out there. 

See I'm not that sure its the case; i just think we focus so much more energy on refereeing errors in Australia that it makes it seem worse than anywhere else.

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

See I'm not that sure its the case; i just think we focus so much more energy on refereeing errors in Australia that it makes it seem worse than anywhere else.

Like most of the other things discussed on here, refereeing errors would be largely ignored if we actually won more matches and by bigger margins. It's only because we are such an under-performing club that they get discussed at all.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Like most of the other things discussed on here, refereeing errors would be largely ignored if we actually won more matches and by bigger margins. It's only because we are such an under-performing club that they get discussed at all.

We weren't particularly referring to City, just in general across the league.
I think 'umpire/referee bashing' is a bit of a cultural thing in Australia, and particularly in Football where its a much harder game to adjudicate.

47 minutes ago, bt50 said:

We weren't particularly referring to City, just in general across the league.
I think 'umpire/referee bashing' is a bit of a cultural thing in Australia, and particularly in Football where its a much harder game to adjudicate.

Exactly this and a case in point was Syd v WSW. Noone reacted when the ball hit zullo's hand at real speed. But as soon as the replays started to happen everone saw it and everyone started the usual hissy fit. It is a part if Aus culture to blame referees which I always found kind of ironic that we call the english whingers.

Referees cant make a decision on something they did not see and they cant (and shouldnt) use video replay. So alot of supporters just need to suck it up. 

Edited by Dylan

I don't think I've watched/been to an A League game for a long time that actually started on time. Victory vs Perth scheduled at 8pm and at 8:00pm they are still in the tunnel.

Aware this is a shit post, just one of the things that peev me that I know shouldn't in the big picture. 

Post match Muscat was blunt about poor decisions on the field by his players. I must say it was refreshing. No bullshit about "playing the way we want to play" & "we are in a good place".

Why can't our coaching staff tell it like it is more often? Surely they don't believe that crap they mouth?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Post match Muscat was blunt about poor decisions on the field by his players. I must say it was refreshing. No bullshit about "playing the way we want to play" & "we are in a good place".

Why can't our coaching staff tell it like it is more often? Surely they don't believe that crap they mouth?

Because everything within CFG is controlled down to the very last detail. If you don't repeat the mantra, use the standard words and phrases, if you don't conform, then you don't stay in the organization. How many times do you read and hear the same words repeated? Even the women are at it now - "...we need to bounce back" (quote from Catley).

The CFG way will eventually stifle individuality both on and off the field. There are many parallels in the corporate world, and of course in certain forms of government.

Oh, and Manchester City 2-0 up against Spurs overnight and conceding in the 87th minute to draw 2-2 and cough up two points. Sound familiar?

Edited by jw1739

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, and Manchester City 2-0 up against Spurs overnight and conceding in the 87th minute to draw 2-2 and cough up two points. Sound familiar?

Usual story by looking at the stats. Manchester had 10% more possession, 17 shots with 6 on target. Whereas Spurs scored from their only two shots on target.