Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016: Quarter-final v. WSW Wed 21 Sep 7.30pm AAMI Park

jw1739

FWIW in regards to the stoppage time, I watched the stream and the commentators said that the clock at the ground was running about 3 minutes faster than the clock on the broadcast which was 100% accurate. They said the 4th official probably got confused by the clock at AAMI and put up the board too early.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

FWIW in regards to the stoppage time, I watched the stream and the commentators said that the clock at the ground was running about 3 minutes faster than the clock on the broadcast which was 100% accurate. They said the 4th official probably got confused by the clock at AAMI and put up the board too early.

how does that even happen? lol

31 minutes ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Interesting that Chapman and Malik were in each other's expected positions.

I've seen Malik with some brainfades at CB, usually positioning, so would have expected him at RB and Chapman at CB.

And watch them both mark the same man leaving a free header inside the six-yard box for Wanderers' goal. This is no doubt the sort of thing that van 't Schip means by "a lot still to do."

This was a good win over a strangely impotent-looking WSW team, although to go behind in the second minute would have been a shock for them. We had our big guns firing up front, but IMO some of the passing out from Rose and Malik was, to put it kindly, rather average; both delaying their passes too long and stalling potential forward movement. I don't think too many teams will give us the space that Wanderers gave us last night.

But, wow, we really have some firepower in the squad. Some great individual performances, but my MOTM was the irrepressible Bruno. The man was in absolutely everything - knows when to stay on his feet, knows when to tumble - a goal, winning the penalty, hitting the post twice. Top performance.

• Like 3

Actually the referee was Jarred Gillett I believe. Apart from the disallowed Bruno goal, I thought he officiated quite well. I'm assuming refs start the season off just as rusty as the players in terms of fitness and positioning but he did well on Wednesday. 

As someone above said, if this is our biggest complaint then things must be all right. 

• Like 1

Jakobsen was such a calming presence in defence, you see it in Sorensen too, always looking to pass to him. But the difference between smart and composed players and the rest, everytime he passed the ball back to Sorensen it had the right weight on it every time, but not only that, it was always in front of him on his right peg and never rushed. 

Brandan is a fitness freak - I've never seen someone sprint like that for 90 minutes. 

It's a bit silly how much attacking depth we have. Kamau came off with cramps or injured, Fitzy came on and ripped his wing up. Not only that Caceres and Colazo to come from the bench. 

In saying that, still not 100% convinced on defence in particular Malik. Hopefully he can grow into the role with Jakobsen being a calming presence next to him.

• Like 1

Just now, pattyd89 said:

It's a bit silly how much attacking depth we have. Kamau came off with cramps or injured, Fitzy came on and ripped his wing up.

I love that these two are such different players too. Kamau is speed but more of a taking players on/mazy type whereas Fitzy is a bit more of a straight lines player. Will be a massive asset to be able to switch them up when we are struggling to break through in some games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I love that these two are such different players too. Kamau is speed but more of a taking players on/mazy type whereas Fitzy is a bit more of a straight lines player. Will be a massive asset to be able to switch them up when we are struggling to break through in some games.

This will be the first season where, provided we can keep the injuries under control, we will have players on the bench who can actually add something to a match.

The aspect I liked most about our game was the relentless pressure. We caused so many turnovers in our forward third and midfield just by sheer work-rate and clever positioning. Redmayne was under a lot of pressure, as were their defenders and mids, because of Bruno, Kamau, Brandan and Cahill.

If we keep that up through the season we should be able to give our defence a lot of cover, which it will probably need in the first month as it develops into a cohesive unit. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The aspect I liked most about our game was the relentless pressure. We caused so many turnovers in our forward third and midfield just by sheer work-rate and clever positioning. Redmayne was under a lot of pressure, as were their defenders and mids, because of Bruno, Kamau, Brandan and Cahill.

If we keep that up through the season we should be able to give our defence a lot of cover, which it will probably need in the first month as it develops into a cohesive unit. 

Agree.

The only querie can it be done in January, February and March? This intense pressing game works when it's well executed and all players combine,  but if a couple drop off, and you don't win the ball back instantly then your pretty open.

Let's hope there is a plan b,c,d and maybe e this season once teams work it out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The only querie can it be done in January, February and March? This intense pressing game works when it's well executed and all players combine,  but if a couple drop off, and you don't win the ball back instantly then your pretty open.

Let's hope there is a plan b,c,d and maybe e this season once teams work it out.

Absolutely. I remember this time last season when we crushed Wellington at AAMI in the FFA cup and everyone was buzzing for the same reasons. And we all know how that turned out

4 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Absolutely. I remember this time last season when we crushed Wellington at AAMI in the FFA cup and everyone was buzzing for the same reasons. And we all know how that turned out

A wise man once said "Your wins are only half as good as you think they are, and your losses only half as bad" 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

A wise man once said "Your wins are only half as good as you think they are, and your losses only half as bad" 

Our of likes but thats very true. I wasnt trying to take the shine off our win because everyone is on a high for a good reason and rightly so. But the struggle for us has always been when the business needs to be done, so i am holding off on the annual "maybe this year will be different" for now

*edit- and fwiw that loss against Perth in the ffa cup because we fielded a weak squad was as bad as i think. Probably worse

Edited by KSK_47

24 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Our of likes but thats very true. I wasnt trying to take the shine off our win because everyone is on a high for a good reason and rightly so. But the struggle for us has always been when the business needs to be done, so i am holding off on the annual "maybe this year will be different" for now

*edit- and fwiw that loss against Perth in the ffa cup because we fielded a weak squad was as bad as i think. Probably worse

Posing questions isn't being negative or taking off the shine it's more developing the discussion.

I'm with @KSK_47 suck it and see. 

It's going to take a good period before I genuinely think it's going to be different this season. Regardless it's definitely not going to be dull either way.

4 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This was my attitude last season. Even though i was right i would have rather not have had to go through it. That pathetic collapse at the end of the season has scarred me.

After a lifetime of following shit teams with the occasional joy I'm used to it.

Footscray J.U.S.T. Tottenham and Collingwood. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This was my attitude last season. Even though i was right i would have rather not have had to go through it. That pathetic collapse at the end of the season has scarred me.

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

After a lifetime of following shit teams with the occasional joy I'm used to it.

Footscray J.U.S.T. Tottenham and Collingwood. 

Things can always change... I went through the Four GF loses with Geelong as a kid and then we just got worse and so by 2003 I had accepted Geelong were never going to win a GF.

The 2007 GF has literally never ever sunk with me, the whole 2009 Season was just a feeling of restoring what should have happened in 08 so it was just a sense of relief and entitlement  when we won.

2011 was really the only Flag out of the three I have seen Geelong win that I felt on the day and enjoyed properly and that was mainly because I knew early on we were going to win the Flag and I had to spend the whole Season ticked off by the media's obsession with it being a foregone conclusion that Collingwood would win the thing.

• Like 3

Yeah great to have a good win. But we had good wins last season too.
Let's see how we go against the teams we should beat. That's where we really fell down last season. We need to maintain the intensity.  Having Cahill on board gives me more hope in this. He never goes into a game half-hearted and I think you can already see the impact he has on reving up the team.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Yeah great to have a good win. But we had good wins last season too.
Let's see how we go against the teams we should beat. That's where we really fell down last season. We need to maintain the intensity.  Having Cahill on board gives me more hope in this. He never goes into a game half-hearted and I think you can already see the impact he has on reving up the team.

Have a look at Cahill directly after we scored the second and third goal on Wednesday; barking orders and ensuring that everyone is switched on. Leadership i havent seen at our club before.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Have a look at Cahill directly after we scored the second and third goal on Wednesday; barking orders and ensuring that everyone is switched on. Leadership i havent seen at our club before.

I was at the game and was impressed with him doing this stuff. Brandan was a bit iffy to begin with, copped an earful from Cahill and then went on to have a cracker.

Jakobson was also marshalling alot of the backline, I liked what I saw.

The best thing about being at games is watching this kind of stuff, I remember seeing Zidane play years ago and I don't think I watched a single other player on the pitch.

I notice also that everyone had a position or zone and when ever they were out of it other players made them aware and they ran back into position. Indicates a few things, the team is well drilled, the team is working for eachother, and players give a shit.

It's only one game I know, but those few attributes are a good foundation for any team.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Things can always change... I went through the Four GF loses with Geelong as a kid and then we just got worse and so by 2003 I had accepted Geelong were never going to win a GF.

The 2007 GF has literally never ever sunk with me, the whole 2009 Season was just a feeling of restoring what should have happened in 08 so it was just a sense of relief and entitlement  when we won.

2011 was really the only Flag out of the three I have seen Geelong win that I felt on the day and enjoyed properly and that was mainly because I knew early on we were going to win the Flag and I had to spend the whole Season ticked off by the media's obsession with it being a foregone conclusion that Collingwood would win the thing.

Mirrors my upbringing exactly. 89 was surreal, the rest of them shit.

2007 is a day i never thought I'd see in my life..

...and still laugh at the people who crap on about the pies being better than us that year, even though we beat them every game we played them that year (3-0).

Anyway, go cats...

Back to City...

4 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

I think we have the stat now of never having won either of our last two games of the regular season. Before last season I don't think we'd won any of our last four games.

Another thing to bear in mind is that our fixture is not well-balanced. We have a lot of away games in the final weeks of the season. It's not going to be easy. Last season was our big chance and we blew it.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Well there was that secret agent rumour that he was basically the coach...

Inspiring good performance by most of the players. The most optimistic city fan would never had thought it was going to be that easy. Don't want to get ahead of myself as I believe that wanderers were major contributors to our triumph with their disappointing display. City was good but the wanderers didn't show up. We all know they can do much better.Other teams won't be as generous and I still believe that our defence is very vulnerable.

In midfield Brattan was our best. His football is about good distribution and he did it to perfection. His partner Kilkenny did not do much. In fact I haven't seen him do anything impressive since he arrived . There is no doubt that caceres would be a much better option. He's a much better footballer in all aspects of the game than Kilkenny. Btw, is caceres injured? He wasn't even on the bench.

Kamau can do a lot better but tactically he was instructed to contribute defensively which he did superbly but on the other hand it reduces his focus and efficiency in attack. Bruno was his usual. Works hard and plays even better. I had my doubts about Tim Cahill for this game but I must admit that he did better than what I  expected. He's got a lot of experience which will benefit the whole team. Brandan showed a lot of speed, guts and energy. Overall, a very promising performance. Lets not get carried away. I don't think other teams will be as bad as wsw was on Wednesday night.

Edited by DAM10
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Inspiring good performance by most of the players. The most optimistic city fan would never had thought it was going to be that easy. Don't want to get ahead of myself as I believe that wanderers were major contributors to our triumph with their disappointing display. City was good but the wanderers didn't show up. We all know they can do much better.Other teams won't be as generous and I still believe that our defence is very vulnerable.

In midfield Brattan was our best. His football is about good distribution and he did it to perfection. His partner Kilkenny did not do much. In fact I haven't seen him do anything impressive since he arrived . There is no doubt that caceres would be a much better option. He's a much better footballer in all aspects of the game than Kilkenny. Btw, is caceres injured? He wasn't even on the bench.

Kamau can do a lot better but tactically he was instructed to contribute defensively which he did superbly but on the other hand it reduces his focus and efficiency in attack. Bruno was his usual. Works hard and plays even better. I had my doubts about Tim Cahill for this game but I must admit that he did better than what I  expected. He's got a lot of experience which will benefit the whole team. Brandan showed a lot of speed, guts and energy. Overall, a very promising performance. Lets not get carried away. I don't think other teams will be as bad as wsw was on Wednesday night.

Well that's not true. There's at least some doubt and conjecture. I at least think Kilkenny is a better player, albeit very different. Kilkenny is much more industrious, Caceres more creative.
I struggle to see Caceres in our side unless we play 4-3-3, in which case Cahill probably doesnt play.

Edited by bt50

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Well that's not true. I at least think Kilkenny is a better player, albeit very different. Kilkenny is much more industrious, Caceres more creative.
I struggle to see Caceres in our side unless we play 4-3-3, in which case Cahill probably doesnt play.

You're entitle to your opinion as much as I'm entitle to mine. So, in your opinion a player is better than the other for being more industrious? In that case and in your way of looking at football, Kilkenny would be a better player than Carrusca , Castro, Del Piero , Pirlo.

Just now, DAM10 said:

You're entitle to your opinion as much as I'm entitle to mine. So, in your opinion a player is better than the other for being more industrious? In that case and in your way of looking at football, Kilkenny would be a better player than Carrusca , Castro, Del Piero , Pirlo.

You said there was no doubt that Caceres was a better player than Kilkenny. Im simply saying thats not true.
Ive admittedly been underwhelmed with Kilkenny so far, although he was solid enough on Wednesday night, but i think he provides a better fit to our team at this point in time than Caceres does.
I certainly didnt say that industrious is better than creative or vice versa, more just pointing out that they are very different players.

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think Kilkenny's role was to nullify Nicoles, which he did effectively IMO

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You said there was no doubt that Caceres was a better player than Kilkenny. Im simply saying thats not true.
Ive admittedly been underwhelmed with Kilkenny so far, although he was solid enough on Wednesday night, but i think he provides a better fit to our team at this point in time than Caceres does.
I certainly didnt say that industrious is better than creative or vice versa, more just pointing out that they are very different players.

But you still prefer Kilkenny even when you are underwhelmed by him. In which ways does Kilkenny provide a better fit to our team than Caceres? I've been to a couple of our pre season games and I'm convinced that caceres has been our most consistent player while Kilkenny has been a passenger. Can you explain to me why you still think Kilkenny is more appropriate than caceres?

1 minute ago, DAM10 said:

But you still prefer Kilkenny even when you are underwhelmed by him. In which ways does Kilkenny provide a better fit to our team than Caceres? I've been to a couple of our pre season games and I'm convinced that caceres has been our most consistent player while Kilkenny has been a passenger. Can you explain to me why you still think Kilkenny is more appropriate than caceres?

It's about balance. Kilkenny does a job which is to break up the oppositions play, run around lots and let Brattan be fat but pass well. Caceres doesn't do this and it would leave Brattan and our defence exposed allowing the opposition to boss the midfield