Melbourne Football

Johnny Warren Medal - Bruno or Mooy?

JC22

Johnny Warren Medal - Bruno or Mooy?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Johnny Warren Medal - Bruno or Mooy?

• Aaron Mooy
    • Bruno Fornaroli

Castro will win due to every game Perth wins he is their best player, where Bruno and Mooy usually have to share their 3 vote games

I think out of 2 of them Mooy just shades him, cause there is a few games that Bruno won't score any votes and Mooy will score 1 or 2 in losses 

5 minutes ago, neio said:

Castro will win due to every game Perth wins he is their best player, where Bruno and Mooy usually have to share their 3 vote games

I think out of 2 of them Mooy just shades him, cause there is a few games that Bruno won't score any votes and Mooy will score 1 or 2 in losses 

I also think they miss out because they take votes off each other.

• Like 3

Voting doesnt work like that for the Johnny Warren.

Its some sort of retarded system where the players vote after rounds 9, 18 and 27 on the best 5 players of the season. I think Castro will struggle to poll any votes in the first round if thats the case

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

castro was fucking useless first chunk of the season so shouldn't get many votes, still not near as good as our 2 when he's been playing well

fornaroli will win it, scoring consistently and is constantly in the headlines, has anyone mentioned mooy has a fuckload of assists? not much hype for him last season when he was clearly the best player in the league

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

They'll probably give it to Nichols or someone equally undeserving.

Would have to go to someone from a sydney club yeah? They havnt won one since the NSL days. But honestly as good as Tuna is it has to go to Mooy, its hard to ignore the assists and with that the 1 pin point pass that can open the field up.

Mooy will/ should win it by a country mile, 18 assists, 10 Goals, about 20 ahead in chances created, ahead in crosses into the penalty box. No one comes close in terms to these stats. He is so influential across the park it would be criminal if he did not win it. Bruno is my favourite player at city but I know who has been the better of the two. Diego has one more goal than Mooy but obviously no where near him in regards to assists or chances created he was quite in the first part of the season and mooy has barely had a quite patch even the game against wsw where we lost 4-3 the bloke still came out with three assists.

Very tough to split them. Mooy edges it ATM IMO. 

Mooy has 10 goals and 18 assists - so 28 goals we wouldn't have scored without him.

Fornaroli has 20 goals and 4 assists - 24 goals we wouldn't have scored without him.

At the end of the day it's a great problem to have, trying to decide who's the best player in the league when your team has the top 2 players in the competition.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:16 PM, bt50 said:

Voting doesnt work like that for the Johnny Warren.

Its some sort of retarded system where the players vote after rounds 9, 18 and 27 on the best 5 players of the season. I think Castro will struggle to poll any votes in the first round if thats the case

Not any more.

For the 2015-16 A-League season to determine the medal a new four body panel was introduced that independently vote on a 3-2-1 basis after each regular season match, which is consolidated into a single 3-2-1 vote. The four body panel consists of:[2]

1. A technical football expert;
  2. A football media representative;
  3. A former professional player representative; and
  4. A combined vote from the match officials.

The eligible player(s) who receive the most votes for the regular season will determine the winner of the medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Warren_Medal

With that sort of system (I can't find out who the expert and representatives are for 1, 2, and 3) just about anyone could win it.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not any more.

For the 2015-16 A-League season to determine the medal a new four body panel was introduced that independently vote on a 3-2-1 basis after each regular season match, which is consolidated into a single 3-2-1 vote. The four body panel consists of:[2]

1. A technical football expert;
  2. A football media representative;
  3. A former professional player representative; and
  4. A combined vote from the match officials.

The eligible player(s) who receive the most votes for the regular season will determine the winner of the medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Warren_Medal

With that sort of system (I can't find out who the expert and representatives are for 1, 2, and 3) just about anyone could win it.

Well there you go, probably a good thing really.

Castro favourite for mine in that case

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Dolan Warren Awards. What has this world come to :droy: 

It's a combine a league and w league awards night? I can't see how anyone has any issue with this. The Matilda's are a very successful side and the w league is growing why not celebrate both men's and women's football in one award ceremony. As for your question of what has the world come to I'd answer; a place where success is celebrated regardless of gender and institutionalised misogyny is being rejected.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's a combine a league and w league awards night? I can't see how anyone has any issue with this. The Matilda's are a very successful side and the w league is growing why not celebrate both men's and women's football in one award ceremony. As for your question of what has the world come to I'd answer; a place where success is celebrated regardless of gender and institutionalised misogyny is being rejected.

But aren't the women offside if they're not in the kitchen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Nothing wrong with a combined awards night for male & female Australian footballers, it would be strange if that wasn't the case.

The issue is more the lingering implication (through the naming of the awards night) that men's and woman's football are somehow equal in importance, when they clearly are not based off any relevant metric you could come up with.

Also worth noting that, when it comes to sports, there is no "institutionalised misogyny", but rather a recognised inferiority that even feminists don't dispute, hence the very existence of a separate category for women in most sports which males aren't allowed to compete in (and in many of these sports women are technically allowed to compete in men's competition on the off chance they are a once in a lifetime genetic freak or using really good undetected performance enhancing drugs, yet it has happened only on the rarest of occasions).

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Nothing wrong with a combined awards night for male & female Australian footballers, it would be strange if that wasn't the case.

The issue is more the lingering implication (through the naming of the awards night) that men's and woman's football are somehow equal in importance, when they clearly are not based off any relevant metric you could come up with.

Also worth noting that, when it comes to sports, there is no "institutionalised misogyny", but rather a recognised inferiority that even feminists don't dispute, hence the very existence of a separate category for women in most sports which males aren't allowed to compete in (and in many of these sports women are technically allowed to compete in men's competition on the off chance they are a once in a lifetime genetic freak or using really good undetected performance enhancing drugs, yet it has happened only on the rarest of occasions).

I forgot to mention and I know someone else will bring it up :

What's the big deal of this implied equal importance, well it's not really a big deal, I wouldn't have said anything if the whole thing hadn't been brought up already, but the issue is the name is crap, and they probably realise this but they've just done it to get in on the feminism hype going on these days. If they actually wanted a name that takes into account that there are other awards apart from the Johnny Warren, they should have just got with some sort of generic name. 

Edited by Tesla

9 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You've got me wrong.

I don't have a problem with an aleague and a wleague awards night being equally recognised for both sexes and think its perfectly fair and reasonable. My point is a change of name like this is typical of this day and age where it's all about appeasement. Appeasing sexualities, appeasing different cultures and yes appeasing genders. It's farcical unless real changes are made to look after Australian female athletes in football. I hope this name change keeps the female footballers hydrated when they're playing in 36 degree weather and run out of bottles and water during a game because the FFA only allocate a certain amount. I hope this name change miraculously forms a few walls at football grounds for them to change in as opposed to in the car parks or the streets.

But then maybe those things don't matter and they can feel all warm and fuzzy inside because now with the awards night being the Dolan Warren Awards it truly shows that 'they're important as well.' 

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

But aren't the women offside if they're not in the kitchen?

image.jpeg.8657be60f9fce6a5620eacc350563

• Like 2

Mooy and Fornaroli are Carle's picks as A-League's best

By Greg Prichard

24 MAR 2016

Former Johnny Warren Medal winner Nicky Carle can't split Melbourne City pair Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli as this season's best A-League player and suspects the voting is so close that performances over the last three rounds will decide the winner.

"I can't split them," said Carle, who was playing for Newcastle Jets when he won the award in season 2006-2007.

"It's a tough one. They're different kinds of players - Mooy controls the game so well and Fornaroli is the type of striker everyone wants.

"Fornaroli is deadly in front of goal, but not just that, his work-rate is immense and he's a fighter, he's got a big heart. Mooy makes things happen for other players and scores goals himself. He runs the game for City.

"It's a very tricky one to judge, because they're both very talented in their own way and each is a pleasure to watch. They've both been brilliant this season."

Mooy and Fornaroli each have sensational statistics this season.

Fornaroli has played 24 games and is the competition's leading goal-scorer, with 20, which is an A-League record. He also has four assists and 78.9 per cent passing accuracy.

Mooy has played 22 games and scored 11 goals from midfield, but his most stunning feat is his league-leading 18 assists. Despite being under constant pressure from opponents who are trying to shut him down, Mooy has 81.4 per cent passing accuracy.

There are several other players who have had tremendous seasons, most notably Mark Bridge, from Western Sydney Wanderers, Brisbane Roar pair Corona and Jamie Maclaren and Perth Glory's Diego Castro.

But as well as they have performed, it is hard to see any of them knocking both of the City players out.

"Bridge has been outstanding for Wanderers," Carle said. "Mitch Nichols started the season on fire for them and has continued to play well, but I think 'Bridgey' has overtaken him as their best-performed player.

"Corona and Maclaren are each right up there as well and Castro, for me, is the one who has made the big late run. Since Perth turned the corner with their form he's been a massive part of their success.

"I know Castro had a lot of critics early in the season, but there was always something about him and he has been dominant recently. But will it be enough? Did he collect enough points at the start of the year, when they weren't doing so well?

"We'll have to wait and see if he has been able to catch up, but any of the players mentioned here would be worthy winners. If you're asking me to narrow it down, though, I reckon the winner is going to be one of the two City boys. I just can't narrow it right down to one."

Carle, who was a highly-skilled playmaker himself, is one of the judges in the revamped process. The medal was once voted on by the current players, but now the voters include a selection of former players, match officials, FFA technical staff and media.

"It's great to be a small part of it," Carle said. "You get nominated a game to vote on every few weeks and you give them your 3-2-1s.

"It's usually your more attack-minded players who win the award, which a bit unfair on the rest of the team because without 11 players out there you're not going to get anywhere. It really is a team effort.

"A number 10 or a nine can have a big impact, but there are other players who can turn a game as well. But it's still hard to go past Fornaroli or Mooy this season and it's easy to see why City are pushing for the title when they have both those players in their side.

"Fornaroli is brilliant for the league. For mine, he's one of the best foreigners to have come here  and I know we've had a lot of good ones. Thomas Broich is one who has become a mainstay in the A-League and hopefully we can hang on to Fornaroli for a few years as well.

"I'd love to see the vote count at the end, because I think it would be very interesting, whichever way it goes. I'm thinking it has got to be very close, in which case the last three rounds could well make the difference."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/03/24/mooy-and-fornaroli-are-carles-picks-leagues-best