Melbourne Football

RD 17 City travel to face the NRMAWSW

Dylan

Just saw the second half. 

But to play away from home set up that way is just bizarre. Few months ago when we played the roar was exactly how we should of approached tonight. 

Having said that to make a game of it being 3:0 is almost as good as a win and the boys should take credit for putting in for 95 minutes. 

46 minutes ago, tommac said:

JVS said we lost the ball in bad areas and copped goals- he is spot on. 3 times we lost it, with too many players committed forward- 3 times they scored. This for me centres around Paartalu's  ( CDM) role in the team. This role should sit deep, in front of the back 3, and let Caceres and Mooy dictate the play going forward, whilst sitting in to provide protection and shift the ball from side to side, or play short passes into Mooy/Caceres where necessary.

Paartalu has been playing a more attacking role over the last few games, consistently enough that he must have been told to push on more. So I don't see that happening.

So during JVS post match press conference he says:

"We didn’t have a right answer for that. They wanted it clearly more."

“In the end they were aggressive and really wanting to get a good result and we didn’t have that enough.”

Only the players will know the answer to whether or not they put in enough. But if your a player that's really put in the effort and fought the whole game how do you react to something like this? Especially if you feel it was a tactical error that cost us. 

Edited by n i k o

After the first two times that WSW got in behind our defence so easily, I asked "Why are we playing such a high line away from home (against the top side)?" And to think JVS didn't even change this AFTER half time!... Every time they won the ball in midfield, one pass whether it was aerial or on the ground bypassed our defence so easily and gave them a chance on goal. 

8 hours ago, wombegongal said:

They get away with murder every week. Offside goals and persistent fouling just means we have to be that much better than them. They are a bunch of grubs and when we roll them next time it will be all the sweeter. 

That crowd puts a lot of pressure on the ref. A League refs aren't that good to start with. 

8 hours ago, Cityamatic said:

Disappointing night, despite some individual brilliance making the scoreline look close we really never looked like winning that - and if we had it certainly wouldn't have been through being the better side on the night. Was only a matter of time before our defence got busted apart in that style, we have looked brilliant in two thirds of the pitch most of the time over the last couple of months, but that defensive third has looked suspect all season, and our failure to strengthen it over the January transfer period is disappointing when it is clear it will be this part of the field that makes or breaks us this season. As a Newcastle United supporter from waaaay back, if City are going down the route of 'if you score 3, we'll score 4' as their attitude to player recruitment and playing style in their efforts to win a title, perhaps they might have a look how that worked out for the Toon 20 odd years ago.

On another topic. One thing I'm trying to figure out is how Santalab was not called offside for that final goal, and if anyone here can clarify how or why he didn't get called I'd appreciate it - for me, he was offside when the ball releasing Castelan was played through, and as far as I could tell he didn't come back onside before receiving the ball and putting it away. If I missed something let me know, but in every match I've played that'd be called back (and I've played in some pretty woefully officiated matches).

Clearly offside.

Really good analysis by you lot, I agree with much of what's already been said and I won't reiterate.

The biggest disappointment is our manager did not adapt his game plan once we lost Hughes and more importantly Paddy.  We can't fault the stand in CB's!  The Brit commentator and the end of the game was right on the money, a good manager adapts to each opposition. It was quite refreshing to hear an independent commentator say it the way it is. 

Also Partalu's turnovers are killing us, allows opposition to create counter attacking opportunities. He needs some help/advice.

I can't remember the last time we fought back and had a "go" while down 3-0. Now that's some heart pumping exciting stuff!  

Now let's pick up quality CB asap.

• Like 1

NRMAWSW second goal is a good illustration of what was going wrong with our setup. Why it took their 3rd goal for JvS to make changes is completely baffling.

Portaloo turns the ball over high up the pitch and is caught well out of his defensive position - again.

24068990973_7f971c5e85.jpg

Instant break. Sotirio, Bridge and Nichol facing Malik and Melling with Clisby scrambling to get back and Caceres running out of puff.

24328147679_07ece9a1f5.jpg

24578050422_6d4e9d1c87.jpg

Now 4 on 3 defenders. Too easy. Franjic struggling (below).

24068983333_2ee13614aa.jpg

OK Bridgy, take your pot shot at goal.

24328150869_a78970f9ca.jpg

A classic Popo counter attack with fast running midfield/forwards. It took the replacements of Zullo and Franjic to create more defensive solidity. Our goals came with Novillo/Fornaroli playing 2 upfront being fed by Mooy. Why this wasn't our starting line up away from home only JvS knows. Lost this game from the coaches box.

• Like 1

So frustrating that it looks like CFG really missed the boat with re-enforcing our defense this transfer window. I thought there would be a no Mr.Nice guy approach like the end of last season and we'd continue to add competition for spots in that area especially. 

Just wasting such an amazing attack, thought we'd diffinitely sign a Visa DM and CB etc. 

The overwhelmingly biased commentator / media love for the WSW and for Poppa is sickening ... if our goals were offside it's all they would be talking about. If we had rough housed their players like they did to ours it would be decried as anti football.

Mitch Nichols is a little feral bogan and I want to punch him in the throat.

Restating the obvious, and despite JVS being unable to get the attacking / defensive balances sorted, be need a world class centre back to have any chance at success this season. Paddy's injury and Hughes not being able to back up may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, tommac said:

Yeah he is- way better. He got a soft second yellow, but in no way does that mean Mauk is better than him.

Ten times better player than Mauk. It's only his second game, he's being played in a different role ( holding with restrictions not to push forward) and I think he' doing very good. Last week v the nix, he had a solid performance and yesterday imo, he was our best midfielder.

In regards to his send off, it was a pathetic referee decision. There were worse fouls than the only two that Caceres committed. Feel sorry for the kid. He's by no way a dirty player and he looked devastated. Very unfair dismissal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Ten times better player than Mauk. It's only his second game, he's being played in a different role ( holding with restrictions not to push forward) and I think he' doing very good. Last week v the nix, he had a solid performance and yesterday imo, he was our best midfielder.

In regards to his send off, it was a pathetic referee decision. There were worse fouls than the only two that Caceres committed. Feel sorry for the kid. He's by no way a dirty player and he looked devastated. Very unfair dismissal.

Out of likes. 

Totally agree. I watched him closely and,  sure he made some mistakes,  but Partaloo made a lot more. Thought he was pretty solid. This was his first match and will improve as he settles and understands his team mates. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Clearly offside.

Hmmmm....Santalab is offside when the ball is played, but is he interfering with an opponent- neither Clisby nor Malik had eyes on him, he didn't block their run at Castellan, he didn't drag them away from castallen?

As for the goal, Santalab must be in line or behind the ball when castellan plays it to him and it looks like he was.

TBH its ball watching by Clisby that keeps Santalab from being penalised.

1 minute ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Hmmmm....Santalab is offside when the ball is played, but is he interfering with an opponent- neither Clisby nor Malik had eyes on him, he didn't block their run at Castellan, he didn't drag them away from castallen?

As for the goal, Santalab must be in line or behind the ball when castellan plays it to him and it looks like he was.

Only saw it the once.  "Clearly" was a bit of an overstatement, but SantA looked offside for the final ball I thought.

Anyway whatever. We were outplayed in my book. If you are relying on precise line calls to catch offsides you are in big trouble.

Malik wasn't going to win any awards for his game, but I think he was thrown in the deep end there (largely by circumstances).

i agree with others our structure was the issue and as @Defibrillator has said before issues in midfield are normally the cause of goals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

It's "interfering with play" not "interfering with an opponent." IMO any attacking player running centrally towards goal in that area of the field in that situation is clearly "interfering with play." IMO it was offside.

What shits me about last night is how fucking dumb we were. It was obvious they were coming at us directly and quickly yet the description above of "kamikaze" is perfect. You don't have to push up every game and try and kick 3-4 goals. No patience to sit back, absorb pressure, keep the 6 and 8 disciplined in front of the back three, tell your full backs to be cautious and play to the obvious strength of our team which is to allow Bruno/Harry/Mooy to show their brilliance. It's called adapting to the most difficult away environment in the league, taking a pragmatic approach to cover your weaknesses and try and exploit your strengths. Fuck a point is a good result up there. But this attack at all costs with no situational awareness is just beyond the pale. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's "interfering with play" not "interfering with an opponent." IMO any attacking player running centrally towards goal in that area of the field in that situation is clearly "interfering with play." IMO it was offside.

"Interfering with play" means" playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team mate".  Santalab didn't do that.

"Interfering with an opponent" means "preventing an opponent from playing or attempting to play the ball eg blocking the keepers line of vision, or making a gesture or movement which in the opinion of the ref deceives or distracts an opponent, and the opponent must be reasonably close to the play so that the blocking, deceiving or distracting makes a difference".   When Santalab was offside only Malik and Clisby were "reasonably close".  Neither was even looking at Santalab, let alone being distracted or deceived by his movement.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_11_offside_en_47383.pdf

16 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

What shits me about last night is how fucking dumb we were. It was obvious they were coming at us directly and quickly yet the description above of "kamikaze" is perfect. You don't have to push up every game and try and kick 3-4 goals. No patience to sit back, absorb pressure, keep the 6 and 8 disciplined in front of the back three, tell your full backs to be cautious and play to the obvious strength of our team which is to allow Bruno/Harry/Mooy to show their brilliance. It's called adapting to the most difficult away environment in the league, taking a pragmatic approach to cover your weaknesses and try and exploit your strengths. Fuck a point is a good result up there. But this attack at all costs with no situational awareness is just beyond the pale. 

The CFG directive is to play attacking football.  So JVS takes this literally to mean attacking at all costs.

I was really hoping for a quality box to box midfielder to come in, whether as a marquee replacement or gun guest. Someone who could have shielded the defence, who could keep his nerve and not get ruffled by the immense physical pressure they put on us, who is special on the ball and hits his passes and who can get forward and support the attackers. 

Said it a thousand times, but we are so deficient in this position.

Last night was a classic example for mine. Paartalu tries to do this but can't. Loses balls and misses passes under pressure and gets stuck forward and out of position far too often.

Mooy these days plays much more forward, whether a response to Koren going or the formation change; this is where he is and i just have not seen enough of Caceres to believe he can be this type of player against better teams.

There's still time, please get us this player!

For all the doom and gloom, I just watched the game and we could have easily won this match. Considering the withdrawal of Hughes, injury to kisnorbo, Malik being injured before the swap and this only being his second game, caceras rediculous second yellow, hardest place to play away, and ref being completely retarted.

If anything I believe this game would cause the wanderers to be even more worried about us than they were. 

JVS is going to continue to play this formation and as our wing backs get back to full fitness (and I'm sure they have probably very rarely played in this formation) and get used to what their roles in it are, we will only get better. 

The toilet seat and acl are still coming our way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rass said:

I was really hoping for a quality box to box midfielder to come in, whether as a marquee replacement or gun guest. Someone who could have shielded the defence, who could keep his nerve and not get ruffled by the immense physical pressure they put on us, who is special on the ball and hits his passes and who can get forward and support the attackers. 

Said it a thousand times, but we are so deficient in this position.

Last night was a classic example for mine. Paartalu tries to do this but can't. Loses balls and misses passes under pressure and gets stuck forward and out of position far too often.

Mooy these days plays much more forward, whether a response to Koren going or the formation change; this is where he is and i just have not seen enough of Caceres to believe he can be this type of player against better teams.

There's still time, please get us this player!

Every week I read about this mythical 6 getting forward and protecting the back 3-4 at the same time. IT DOESN'T EXIST. No player in the world can do this. When Port a loo moves forward and we softly turn over possession he is out of position due to someone elses fuck up. Hardly his fault. He is certainly the strongest dm in the comp in the air and hardest in the tackle. Look at the guy he looks like Dolph fucking Lundgren (who had killed more mother fuckers than JCVD). His draw backs currently are his passing has been average of late (although he has played some fantastic diagonal balls at times) and he isn't the fastest. But outside of visa DM's there isn't better in the league.

20 hours ago, wombegongal said:

Every week I read about this mythical 6 getting forward and protecting the back 3-4 at the same time. IT DOESN'T EXIST. No player in the world can do this. When Port a loo moves forward and we softly turn over possession he is out of position due to someone elses fuck up. Hardly his fault. He is certainly the strongest dm in the comp in the air and hardest in the tackle. Look at the guy he looks like Dolph fucking Lundgren (who had killed more mother fuckers than JCVD). His draw backs currently are his passing has been average of late (although he has played some fantastic diagonal balls at times) and he isn't the fastest. But outside of visa DM's there isn't better in the league.

Respectfully disagree, apart from the Dolph Lundgren bit...

Surely there is someone out there who can link us up better. 

Actually think i found that player :

J. Fishlock

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited by rass

6 hours ago, Ray said:

You may as well write a letter to Santa Claus for what good it will do. No-one will give one shit about what you think!

At least you might get a reply from Santa Claus.

Not that I expect them to listen to a supporter regarding who we should sign. But I'd love to know the reasoning behind not signing a defender when the stats speak for themselves. 

Second most goals conceded in the league 

Edited by heart_fan10