Melbourne Football

January transfer window

Shahanga

On 1/24/2016 at 2:33 PM, Heart of Melbourne said:

If we don't replace Koren kiss top 2 goodbye. Wtf is wrong with this club.

Wait a minute, we or most of us anyway wanted Koren out as he had done nothing for the team so why will we not win the league without a replacement ?? We have signed Malik for  the defence and Caceres  to aid the attacking formation and Fitzgerald to replace Gamiero on the frontline. So whats the rush to sign a replacement for Useless Koren.

Edited by johnno cpfc
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well so far I'm not too impressed with our January business. With just a few hours left it looks more like a Peter Sidwell type window - sell anyone you can, offload blokes who are on bigger $, hire some cheaper ones.

I don't think we've improved our squad.

You're kidding right?

we have easily improved the squad

This was a promising transfer window but unless there's a big signing or two today or a free agent signed in the next 1-2 weeks I would call this a fail.

Goal Keepers

Dean Bouzanis for Tando = Significantly backwards

Attackers

Fitzgerald for Williams = Neutral

Midfielders

Caceres for Koren / Mauk = Improvement

Having Koren gone makes no real difference as he did nothing.

Caceres offers more than Mauk but not a massive improvement.

Defender/Defensive Mid

Malik for Paartalu = Backwards (at this stage)
Malik was great when he came on as a sub in his first game but terrible last week. Paartalu is 4th on our goal scorers list. Seems to be Mooy's main target for corners.

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

You're kidding right?

we have easily improved the squad

How?

williams for Fitzgerald (yawn)

mauk for Caceras (not sure yet)

velaphi for Bozanzis (backwards, might not matter though)

Paartalu for Malik (not clear)

Koren for no one (down I guess, lose an option off the bench)

How do you seriously think we've improved? In fact really the only positive I can see is that Caceres is fitter than Mauk. Odds are we are now weaker and certainly very vulnerable to the fitness of a 39 year old.

Now I thought I was an optimist....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

How?

williams for Fitzgerald (yawn)

mauk for Caceras (not sure yet)

velaphi for Bozanzis (backwards, might not matter though)

Paartalu for Malik (not clear)

Koren for no one (down I guess, lose an option off the bench)

How do you seriously think we've improved? In fact really the only positive I can see is that Caceres is fitter than Mauk. Odds are we are now weaker and certainly very vulnerable to the fitness of a 39 year old.

Now I thought I was an optimist....

How? In a couple of signings we have improved the squad.

Fitzy is better than Williams.

Caceres in general, is a class above Mauk in all aspects of the game. He will end up being as good or better than Mooy if played in a more attacking role.

Velaphi or Bouzanis (mmm...). Haven't seen Bouzanis yet. 

Paartalu = Malik ( both average and easily replaceable). Don't understand the comparison as Partalu is mid and Malik a cb.

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

There is no doubt that this transfer window has seen next to no improvement in the squad - in fact we have probably gone backwards. The optimist in me retains faith in our masters so - all will be revealed. Otherwise we had better enjoy our time in the top four

I'm confident that Michael Petrillo and CFG are working to a plan for the improvement of the squad. I don't see how we have gone backwards other than with the exchange of Bouzanis with Velaphi - and that's only for the remainder of this season. Williams has done nothing for us for a season and a half, and Fitzgerald is here basically "on approval" for the future. Caceres is better than Mauky - the latter often pilloried on here for not being able to last out a game. Koren did nothing and is off the books giving us flexibility. Malik better than Paartalu who was unhappy after being dropped.

Seems OK to me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pretty much what JW said. Still confident we'll at least sign a free agent or two for the remainder of the season, if not necessarily in the next week.

Yeah, I still find it hard to believe that we'd just give away an entrenched starting player that had years left on his contract, getting nothing in return, when we don't need the money. It doesn't make any sense.

56 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yeah, I still find it hard to believe that we'd just give away an entrenched starting player that had years left on his contract, getting nothing in return, when we don't need the money. It doesn't make any sense.

The bigger picture: He is going to the team that plays victory in the ACL... See where this is going? 

11 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Long story, short. I'm really glad none of you guys are the manager of melb city... I say that in the nicest way ppossible.

I reckon every single one of them couldn't do any worse than the incumbent Dutch goose currently in charge

29 minutes ago, sharpy said:

Window is still open by the way, closes on the 14th of Feb in Australia.

Always outshone by some sick Valentines Day messages in the papers.

I cannot find that anywhere more recent than an 8th January 2013 article and otherwise anywhere except Wikipedia. Are you quoting the latter, or do you have a cross-reference to something else?

Edited by jw1739

4 hours ago, DAM10 said:

How? In a couple of signings we have improved the squad.

Fitzy is better than Williams.

Caceres in general, is a class above Mauk in all aspects of the game. He will end up being as good or better than Mooy if played in a more attacking role.

Velaphi or Bouzanis (mmm...). Haven't seen Bouzanis yet. 

Paartalu = Malik ( both average and easily replaceable). Don't understand the comparison as Partalu is mid and Malik a cb.

My understanding is that Malik is a DM who converted to CB under Gombau at Adelaide

Edited by Cityamatic

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

My understanding is also that the A-League transfer window opened two weeks later than Europe and closed two weeks later. This was a move by the FFA to stop European clubs from poaching all our young talent IIRC.

I found this article from 2013 - I'm not sure if the A-League transfer window has moved back to re-align with Europe since though.

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sport/aleague-chief-defends-transfer-window-20130108-2cdy2.html

"...under the current rules he's not allowed to start until Australia's transfer window opens on January 14." which would mean @sharpy is correct regarding Feb 14th.

5 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

My understanding is also that the A-League transfer window opened two weeks later than Europe and closed two weeks later. This was a move by the FFA to stop European clubs from poaching all our young talent IIRC.

I found this article from 2013 - I'm not sure if the A-League transfer window has moved back to re-align with Europe since though.

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news-sport/aleague-chief-defends-transfer-window-20130108-2cdy2.html

"...under the current rules he's not allowed to start until Australia's transfer window opens on January 14." which would mean @sharpy is correct regarding Feb 14th.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/a-league-transfer-reports-aussies-to-k-league/1phsxikzjhq4716ln6mlrzhvgt

"It’s been a busy transfer window for Aussies in January, with plenty of player movement and a few more deals likely to go through before it slams shut later today (Tuesday )

17 minutes ago, Deeming said:

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/a-league-transfer-reports-aussies-to-k-league/1phsxikzjhq4716ln6mlrzhvgt

"It’s been a busy transfer window for Aussies in January, with plenty of player movement and a few more deals likely to go through before it slams shut later today (Tuesday )

Pfft official a-league website, since when has the FFA been a reliable source? :lowy:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm confident that Michael Petrillo and CFG are working to a plan for the improvement of the squad. I don't see how we have gone backwards other than with the exchange of Bouzanis with Velaphi - and that's only for the remainder of this season. Williams has done nothing for us for a season and a half, and Fitzgerald is here basically "on approval" for the future. Caceres is better than Mauky - the latter often pilloried on here for not being able to last out a game. Koren did nothing and is off the books giving us flexibility. Malik better than Paartalu who was unhappy after being dropped.

Seems OK to me.

All this deals "look good commercially" and have the ring of "long term" about them.

Thats good but for those of us with our hopes up for this season it's a little disappointing.

In more detail,

the goalie deal (hopefully) replaces 1 bloke not playing with a cheaper guy not playing: more spare cash for elsewhere.

the Williams deal replaces a highly paid squady with a lowly paid squady. Remains to be seen what we get on the field but probably not a lot of difference, but heaps of money saved for elsewhere.

the mauk deal gets rid of a rising star (OUR rising star) for a rising star. Will take 3 years to know what was the best move, but given Mauk reckoned he was outa here, it was a sharp commercial move. Caceres may or may not be better but seems more versatile& can play a full match. Suspect Caceres may be on more than Mauk.

Again I'm sure we are saving money on the Paartalu deal, so once again more $ available for pay rises or new player(s).

Overal smart business like this will help us long term, but it won't help us win games now if we don't spend that spare money this year and frankly we won't even have much of a side come the weekend when injuries and suspensions are considered.

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Overal smart business like this will help us long term, but it won't help us win games now if we don't spend that spare money this year and frankly we won't even have much of a side come the weekend when injuries and suspensions are considered.

Our girls just did the double. Is it coincidence that they will now get their own facilities at Latrobe and that we're aiming high to retain most of this season's squad and also strengthen it?

The men are still in the mix for silverware, but by no means certain of doing any better than last year. Is it coincidence that we may be focussing on future seasons rather than this one?

Also don't forget that the closure of the transfer window is largely irrelevant. Most transactions into the A-League involve free agents, and they can come at any time.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our girls just did the double. Is it coincidence that they will now get their own facilities at Latrobe and that we're aiming high to retain most of this season's squad and also strengthen it?

The men are still in the mix for silverware, but by no means certain of doing any better than last year. Is it coincidence that we may be focussing on future seasons rather than this one?

Also don't forget that the closure of the transfer window is largely irrelevant. Most transactions into the A-League involve free agents, and they can come at any time.

The girls win and get their own fascilities. Can we arrange with the sheik that if the men win we get our own stadium to play in? 🙏

Edited by n i k o