Melbourne Football

RD 15 City travel to the Glory Hole

Dylan

Here's Melbourne City's shooting map for the last 30 minutes after the sendoff:

29gjxh5.jpg

5 shots, all off target, all from outside the box. Really underwhelming.

The defensive numbers also show we applied a lot less pressure than we normally do after we lost the ball, with much fewer tackles & interceptions than normal.

* Last game vs WSW - 29 interceptions, 20 tackles, 22 clearances.

* Yesterday vs Perth - 15 interceptions, 11 tackles, 6 clearances.

Defensively last night we pretty much just went through the motions. That's why Perth were able to produce 15 shots (inc. blocked) with 9 shots on targets from 38.8% possession. Melbourne City had 61.2% possession and only produced 18 shots (inc. blocked) with only 3 shots on target.

Paartalu deserves to be singled out for praise though. He was our busiest player in defence, and lots of other players barely made a tackle all game:

* Paartalu - 2 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 clearance, 1 block

* Melling - 1 tackle, 3 interceptions, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Mooy - 0 tackles, 3 interceptions, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Zullo - 0 tackles, 1 interception, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Retre - 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Garuccio - 1 tackle, 0 interceptions, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Kisnorbo - 1 tackle, 2 interceptions, 1 clearance, 0 blocks

* Clisby - 2 tackles, 1 interception, 0 clearances, 0 blocks

* Hughes - 1 tackle, 2 interceptions, 1 clearance, 0 blocks

Especially when compared with last season, Melling's and Mooy's defensive output is much lower. Last night they weren't the aggressive ball-winners they often are, and our performance suffered significantly IMO from so many players like them not producing the pro-active and high intensity defending Melbourne City needs to play its football.

Either the players need to start producing more, or IMO the team should go back to 4-3-3. In defence and attack the 3-5-2 just isn't doing enough for the team over 90 minutes. Hopefully Fitzgerald can now play for us at RW, and fill in for Gameiro and Mauk's absence, which forced the switch to 3-5-2 in the first place. Perhaps if we had a fit Franjic, Zullo and Chapman the 3-5-2 formation would be superior, but I'd say it's evident now the team should go back to the 4-3-3 that got the team so many big wins earlier this season.

• Like 1

I read what everyone's saying, but we did get a draw and we haven't lost ground on the ladder leader - in fact we've gained ground over the past few weeks. Teams go through these little lapses and runs - look at MV, just 5 points out of 21, look at Adelaide now in the six. We've relied too much on Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy to convert everything that's come their way - once that doesn't happen we're in trouble. Add to that injuries and bizarre team selections, and duds on the books such as Williams and Koren - I reckon we're probably about where we ought to be on the table. We have a big opportunity with six home matches out of the last nine, including the last round, and IIRC we've never had a home run like that before. Really, if we can't finish top four from here then we don't deserve to.

• Like 2

I just had a look at the results once again and in round 11 City had a tough game against Victory which they won. The following week, round 12, City played Brisbane in heat and humidity and lost the game. Last week, City won a tough encounter against WSW and this week the team struggled in the heat once again. Two data points is not enough but this is something that I will keep this in mind for the remainder of the season to see if the pattern holds.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I read what everyone's saying, but we did get a draw and we haven't lost ground on the ladder leader - in fact we've gained ground over the past few weeks. Teams go through these little lapses and runs - look at MV, just 5 points out of 21, look at Adelaide now in the six. We've relied too much on Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy to convert everything that's come their way - once that doesn't happen we're in trouble. Add to that injuries and bizarre team selections, and duds on the books such as Williams and Koren - I reckon we're probably about where we ought to be on the table. We have a big opportunity with six home matches out of the last nine, including the last round, and IIRC we've never had a home run like that before. Really, if we can't finish top four from here then we don't deserve to.

A good analysis. The big picture is still pretty positive. Since the WSW loss and numerous players like Mooy and Novillo have become fit, the team's record is: DWWWWLDWD. 1 loss in 9 games, with 5 wins and 3 draws.

The annoying thing though is if we won last night, then we're in 2nd and Sydney FC and WSW are behind us and need us to drop points. But now we're 2 points behind Sydney FC and WSW and we are dependent on them dropping points to move up the ladder.

I guess the big picture is still that we've gained on Brisbane in 1st, and we go 1st next round if Brisbane gain 0 points (and Sydney FC and WSW don't win). We're right in the race for a top finish this season, with now less than half a season to go.

It's a given that the team should finish top 4. Now the team has to be gunning at least for an Asian Champions League spot (at least top 3, but 2 top is more certain ACL qualification). And the team is rightful to aspire to be Premiers this season, with Brisbane missing Maclaren for a while longer (and evidently having next to no depth) and Sydney FC & victory very soon having to play Asian Champions League matches mid-week. If the team can keep up the form shown over the last 9 rounds, then we're a good chance to have a genuinely successful season, but still the team has to fix a few things and make sure mediocre performances like the one last night don't happen again. 

• Like 2

I still think the bulk of the problems stem from midfield and their shape. Watching WSW and Sydney last night, both had disciplined midfielders with great shape (a 4-2-3-1 vs a 4-4-2) and both midfields working as a unit and defensively stemming forward flow. Compare this to us with Melling and Paartalu haring around, often in front of the ball and little reserve to track, Mooy looking tired, and it's way too easy to traverse the middle of the park. I think more than anything the midfield shape and discipline needs to be sorted. We have conceded the midfield in plenty of games this year but fortunately have the cattle up front to punish the opposition. Get the midfield right and the defence will look a lot more secure. 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

Just to reflect on where the club has been after 15 games played across all seasons:

Season      Win-Loss-Draw; Goals for - against

2010-11     5-5-5;                 18-20
2011-12     7-4-4;                 24-19
2012-13     5-3-7;                 20-22
2013-14     1-5-9;                 12-26
2014-15     5-4-6;                 24-28
2015-16     7-4-4;                 37-26

In terms of W-L-D, we're equal to our best so far which was the second season. We're streets ahead in terms of goals scored but poor in terms of conceding. I agree with @Defibrillator that we have plenty to do to get proper defensive structure around Melling, Portaloo and the defenders that they're trying to cover for. It's up to JvS and the coaching staff to sort this out during the week not talk about what should have happened in the post-match interview. 

5 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

In terms of W-L-D, we're equal to our best so far which was the second season. 

Hopefully we dont collapse like we did that season too. Although the boys might be excited at the thought getting a sendoff from the steps of parliament house if we do

Was rather disappointed last night, and still feeling down about it today.

First time all season we've had our main three in and seen them under perform against their usual lofty efforts.  IMO Mooy had an off game, his involvement in both goals aside.  He looked flat footed for the most part / took a number of first touches that were way too heavy.

I was really disappointed with our two wing backs. Like it or loath it both Retre and Zullo looked poor going forward and at times outta touch defending. With no other designated wide players those two take on extra responsibility of offering wide options going forward. Doesn't mean they have to bomb each time at the expense of defending, more they push forward when / where appropriate to help stretch the opposition defense.

The lack of space in the middle came directly from this.  Not gonna completely blame the pair since other players could have drifted wide from time to time, but Zullo and Retre offered little - couldn't dribble their way out of a colouring book if they tried.

In any case we at least got a point.  In the past we would have lost so.....

• Like 1

Surely a particular formation is a part of a tactical plan to play the teams particular style whilst creating problems for the specific opponent and to solve the problems created by them. Playing 4-3-3, 3-4-3, 3-5-2 or any particular formation in every game is pointless unless the team is so strong that it can dominate every opponent using the existing system and players We don't have a coach who seems flexible enough to adapt to these particular problems.

• Like 1

I only saw the highlights, but Mooy one assist and one goal looks great on paper.  Even when he has an off game, his contribution is decisive for us.  If we defended better than Mooys contribution might have been enough.

I understand the argument that the midfield protection was subpar, but seems once the midfield is breached, the back four are all at sea.  No other back four is that poor, so I won't lump all the blame on the midfielders.

Their last goal was typical Heart defensive mess we've seen a million time before under JVS.

He is not the man to take us to the top of the tree, doing a Bradley notwithstanding.

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

A good analysis. The big picture is still pretty positive. Since the WSW loss and numerous players like Mooy and Novillo have become fit, the team's record is: DWWWWLDWD. 1 loss in 9 games, with 5 wins and 3 draws.

The annoying thing though is if we won last night, then we're in 2nd and Sydney FC and WSW are behind us and need us to drop points. But now we're 2 points behind Sydney FC and WSW and we are dependent on them dropping points to move up the ladder.

I guess the big picture is still that we've gained on Brisbane in 1st, and we go 1st next round if Brisbane gain 0 points (and Sydney FC and WSW don't win). We're right in the race for a top finish this season, with now less than half a season to go.

It's a given that the team should finish top 4. Now the team has to be gunning at least for an Asian Champions League spot (at least top 3, but 2 top is more certain ACL qualification). And the team is rightful to aspire to be Premiers this season, with Brisbane missing Maclaren for a while longer (and evidently having next to no depth) and Sydney FC & victory very soon having to play Asian Champions League matches mid-week. If the team can keep up the form shown over the last 9 rounds, then we're a good chance to have a genuinely successful season, but still the team has to fix a few things and make sure mediocre performances like the one last night don't happen again. 

So we're relying on others to fall over due to the other commitments?

21 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

So we're relying on others to fall over due to the other commitments?

You can only beat what's in front of you. And the context of this season is that Brisbane, Sydney FC and victory will all be burdened with issues over a significant portion of the remaining season. WSW are the favourites to come 1st this season, I think that's clear, and that's in no small part because they have no ACL and no Olyroos absentees. Like with a football match, you can only beat the opposition you're competing against.

At the same time whilst I think Melbourne City's chances of being successful this season are increased by the context of this season, I still think Melbourne City are a good chance of being successful this season regardless. Our win against WSW showed we can get results against top sides (even when they don't have commitments), and we've had the most big wins out of any A-League team this season. And over the past 9 games our form has been strong, and if the team can maintain that sort of form or improve upon it then Melbourne City can achieve things this season, regardless of the commitments a few rivals are saddled with. 

54 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Was rather disappointed last night, and still feeling down about it today.

First time all season we've had our main three in and seen them under perform against their usual lofty efforts.  IMO Mooy had an off game, his involvement in both goals aside.  He looked flat footed for the most part / took a number of first touches that were way too heavy.

I was really disappointed with our two wing backs. Like it or loath it both Retre and Zullo looked poor going forward and at times outta touch defending. With no other designated wide players those two take on extra responsibility of offering wide options going forward. Doesn't mean they have to bomb each time at the expense of defending, more they push forward when / where appropriate to help stretch the opposition defense.

The lack of space in the middle came directly from this.  Not gonna completely blame the pair since other players could have drifted wide from time to time, but Zullo and Retre offered little - couldn't dribble their way out of a colouring book if they tried.

In any case we at least got a point.  In the past we would have lost so.....

Fully agree with this. We're really missing some proper (fit) fullbacks. The width they provide would have made a big difference, and I believe that also would have improved the space in midfield And the shape of our midfield. Hopefully we're stronger in the wide positions in 8 days against Wellington.

I don't mind the 3-5-2, but you need to have your wingbacks right.

As good as Retre has been this year, the right wing back is not his position. Zullo underdone doesn't help either.  Doesn't matter how much possession we have, other teams will always fancy scoring by flipping balls out behind these wingbacks. 

Fully fit Franjic and Zullo should help enormously.

5 minutes ago, rass said:

I don't mind the 3-5-2, but you need to have your wingbacks right.

As good as Retre has been this year, the right wing back is not his position. Zullo underdone doesn't help either.  Doesn't matter how much possession we have, other teams will always fancy scoring by flipping balls out behind these wingbacks. 

Fully fit Franjic and Zullo should help enormously.

It's kind of tiring hearing season after season "if we only we had our first eleven on the pitch ... "

The job of the football department is to have a good spread of players that can cover for injuries - obviously. We seem not to be able to do that while the Tards seem to fill positions with handy players and keep playing their same style pretty much year in year out. And remain in contention for silverware.

OK, #JVSOUT could get a new lease of life next week after the Nux game.

21 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

It's kind of tiring hearing season after season "if we only we had our first eleven on the pitch ... "

The job of the football department is to have a good spread of players that can cover for injuries - obviously. We seem not to be able to do that while the Tards seem to fill positions with handy players and keep playing their same style pretty much year in year out. And remain in contention for silverware.

OK, #JVSOUT could get a new lease of life next week after the Nux game.

Beacsue they don't sign players who are injured before they sign, after they sign, and throughout the season.

Gameiro, Franjic Zullo- all of them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Mooy's workrate without the ball has really dropped off in the past month or so. He seems to just cruise around in behind Bruno and once the defence move the ball forward we're easily stretched with Novillo surprisingly working back more than Mooy in defence. If you're playing a 3-5-2 you need all 3 central midfielders to get behind the ball quickly or everyone gets shifted out of shape covering if the opposition look for the overload out wide.

I agree with you, but I'm "pretty confident" he's been playing with a broken rib.  

Courageous* to even take the field, so its hardly surprising that his work rate is a bit low.  Even so I would still rather have him on the field than say Trifiro, Millar or Koren, broken rib and all.

Hopefully he'll start to improve in the next week or so (been about 6 weeks since it happened)..

* Balls the size of watermelons really, how can you run when it hurts to breathe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Because they don't sign players who are injured before they sign, after they sign, and throughout the season.

Gameiro, Franjic Zullo- all of them

I'm afraid that this is a good point. These three have played 896 minutes between them this season (transfermarkt). Add in the measly 601 minutes combined for Hughes and Koren. That's 5 players out of an allowed total of 23+3. I don't care what anyone says - it's a major factor why we are not as successful as we could be.

• Like 1

The other thing that this game really crystallised in my mind is how little David Williams has added as a goal threat when he's come on this year.

Now he's been far from useless off the bench, but its all been in a defensive sense- tracking back to help out or forward runs that challenged the opponents defence and caused the opposition to be more defensively minded.  Great when we are in front, but when we want to score he "needs to bring more" and he's just not.  I know he's far from perfect, but frankly, I'm pretty disappointed.    Its obvious he's trying (by his defensive effort, that's the first to go when players get lazy), but he's not even close to being what he should be.  

If he does leave, surely we can find a more dangerous replacement.  We desperately need spark off the bench. 

• Like 1

So Mooy hits a ball with the centre of his boot and provides an incredible assist yet no one in the media is crediting what a ball it was and I've even heard some say it was lucky it ended in the right spot. Seriously not enough credit is being given for Mooys ball which he meant every bit of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neio said:

Whenever we have played ccm I've never been concerned about Fitzgerald, it's always been a oh yea he is playing rather than a oh crap gotta stop Fitzgerald

So take from that what you will

Suggest you go to the City web-site and look at the players we have listed as "forwards." Other than Fornaroli and Novillo who would you rate the equivalent of or higher than Fitzgerald?

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

So Mooy hits a ball with the centre of his boot and provides an incredible assist yet no one in the media is crediting what a ball it was and I've even heard some say it was lucky it ended in the right spot. Seriously not enough credit is being given for Mooys ball which he meant every bit of. 

And the end result was only an "unconvincing goal". I doubt anyone else would have had the long legs to score that one anyway.

The media know bugger all about football and even less about what skill was needed to create and execute that goal. It was just lucky!

Edited by Ray
Typo

9 minutes ago, Ray said:

And the end result was only an "unconvincing goal". I doubt anyone else would have had the long legs to score that one anyway.

The media know bugger all about football and even less about what skill was needed to create and execute that goal. It was just lucky!

I probably didn't word that properly, my rant was targeted more at these idiots in at foxsports as opposed to journalist that write for the papers. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Suggest you go to the City web-site and look at the players we have listed as "forwards." Other than Fornaroli and Novillo who would you rate the equivalent of or higher than Fitzgerald?

I do understand the signing in a positional sense, but his record is no better than Williams at scoring/assisting goals.

He is a squad player and not much more, can't see him being much better than a dugandzic or a Ramsay or a merbrahtu. I'd prefer to see us continue to play mauk out there or play a kuzi more or even move Novillo to right and try zullo/garruccio on a wing and sure up the defence a bit more cause we can all agree that scoring isn't our issue.

In saying all that I do hope he does well and I'm more than happy to be proven wrong 

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Agree it was an outrageous pass. I'm not so surprised those 2 absolute jokers in commentary missed it, but that pretty much no one else in the media highlighted it just shows IMO that we're all used to great football from Aaron Mooy. He used his left foot for that incredible assist as well. He's just a freak.

He also played 2 truly top class first-time passes to Fornaroli in the lead up to the free kick that lead to the goal (the first with the outside of the foot, the second a beautiful lob into space). Top shelf.

As Postecoglou said he's the best player in the comp. this season, and well worth the price of admission. He has the most assists, 10 (the next best is Broich with 5), and the 3rd most goals with 7 (equal with Maclaren). Enjoy him while you can.

• Like 1