Melbourne Football

RD 12. Anti football comes back to Brisbane. 27/12 7pm

Dylan

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Going to be an interesting week at training. Hughes & Melling should be desperate to get into the side (maybe Zullo too), with the starting XI equally keen to keep their spots.

I agree. What I want to know whether Melling was dropped altogether because of form/crippling Chapman or whether the knocks that he suffered last week were more severe than was let on and he was rested/out injured. At least with Hughes, it appears that he has not suffered any setbacks.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I agree. What I want to know whether Melling was dropped altogether because of form/crippling Chapman or whether the knocks that he suffered last week were more severe than was let on and he was rested/out injured. At least with Hughes, it appears that he has not suffered any setbacks.

In the press conference after the derby JVS said Melling wasn't fit to play, didn't get through the week of training but was close. Should be back against Brisbane

14 minutes ago, hyperfuzz said:

surely Melling would have been at least a bench an inclusion if not for the knock.

FWIW, I saw Melling wandering around one of the aisles with Gameiro (who was on crutches) after the game, which I inferred to be a sign that he was injured as well. Surely he gets a spot on the bench at least, if he was ok to play, given that he's not exactly a one-dimensional player.

Just now, NewConvert said:

Melling was taken out of the matchday squad as the knee injury was not quite as minimal as first thought but he hopes to be back next week. This from the man himself spoke to him at the game on Sat night.

• Like 4

On 20 December 2015 at 10:11 AM, SF33 said:

FWIW, I saw Melling wandering around one of the aisles with Gameiro (who was on crutches) after the game, which I inferred to be a sign that he was injured as well. Surely he gets a spot on the bench at least, if he was ok to play, given that he's not exactly a one-dimensional player.

Yeah I saw him walking around the stadium before the game with Dekker, remember hearin something about fitness

Looking forward to this. Agree we should keep the same XI:

-----------------Sorensen----------------

Franjic--Kisnorbo--Clisby--Garuccio

------------Retre------Paartalu----------

-------------------Mooy--------------------

Mauk----------Fornaroli---------Novillo

Bench: Velaphi, Hughes, Melling, Koren, Williams

Even our bench is looking impressively strong. The likes of Michael Zullo may not even make the bench, even if he's fully fit. That's a big indicator of how much the team has grown and improved from the opening rounds of this season.

I don't see Mooy and Fornaroli being uninvolved in the goals for 2 weeks in a row, so I'm keen to see them make an impact. And then what will be interesting is which players kick on from the Derby and continue to show good form, players such as Mauk, Garuccio, Retre, Clisby, Sorensen. I'm tipping the goal-scorers Mauk and Retre to back up with good performances.

All up though just keen to see the team continue with the positive momentum, and I reckon the fierce competition for spots will help that happen.

• Like 1

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-antifootball-days-are-over-says-roars-thomas-broich-20151223-glubzc.html#ixzz3v98Ksoq1

Melbourne City's anti-football days are over, says Roar's Thomas Broich
Date
December 23, 2015 - 6:30PM

Sydney Brisbane won't be expecting any "anti-football" from Melbourne City this time around, with star Thomas Broich predicting a free-flowing game with the A-League's hottest side.

A resurgent City return to the relaid Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, five weeks after coach John Aloisi savaged them for their perceived cynical, foul-ridden play during November's 1-1 draw between the sides.

Since then John van 't Schip's cashed-up outfit have gone on a goal-scoring rampage, netting 16 over a four-match winning streak including last weekend's thrilling 2-1 derby triumph over Melbourne Victory.

1450855736726.jpg

Thomas Broich: "I expect a game of tennis – they attack, we attack. It should be entertaining to watch." Photo: Getty Images

Broich predicted a very different affair when second-placed Roar host City, only a point behind in third.

"You've got to understand that back then they weren't in the position they are now," he said on Wednesday. "They needed points more than anything.

"Now it's a whole different story, it's a team full of confidence. They play free-flowing football now, so that's a thing of the past and I don't expect a game similar to last time.

"I expect a game of tennis – they attack, we attack. It should be entertaining to watch."

For Broich, it will present another opportunity to take on former teammate Ivan Franjic.

The playmaker predicted "mind games" aplenty with defender Franjic, as the two know each others' games all too well.

He also hoped to score an elusive goal, having gotten into dangerous positions this season but not found the back of the net.

The 34-year-old German has had five assists, including one on Sunday when he provided the well-placed ball that set Dimitri Petratos off to score the winner against Central Coast.

"It's nice to get all these assists, but I'd love to score," Broich said. "It's not for lack of trying, trust me. I'm getting into decent positions lately, and I think goals are going to come."

Brisbane will be without midfielder Steve Lustica, who will be out for at least a week with a small abdominal tear.

But hotshot striker Jamie Maclaren will likely be fine to feature despite shin bruising from a knock during the Mariners game.

And Broich said Brisbane were not afraid of City's recent exploits, and would not sacrifice their attack-minded style on Sunday.

"We've got our structure, and we're going to play to our structure," he said. "We're a lot more solid defensively this season.

"At the same time we're still keeping the ball quite well and creating a lot of chances, and that's not going to change against City.

"We all know that they're in great form, but we also know we can hurt them. That's our main focus."

AAP

I think I've decoded what the German maestro said in this article:

1/ JA's "anti-football" jibe was bollocks and City is a classy outfit

2/ #JAOUT

3/ We're gonna lose

4/ City will beat a team above them

5/ I like strudel

Edited by HEARTinator

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Looking forward to this. Agree we should keep the same XI:

-----------------Sorensen----------------

Franjic--Kisnorbo--Clisby--Garuccio

------------Retre------Paartalu----------

-------------------Mooy--------------------

Mauk----------Fornaroli---------Novillo

Bench: Velaphi, Hughes, Melling, Koren, Williams

Even our bench is looking impressively strong. The likes of Michael Zullo may not even make the bench, even if he's fully fit. That's a big indicator of how much the team has grown and improved from the opening rounds of this season.

I don't see Mooy and Fornaroli being uninvolved in the goals for 2 weeks in a row, so I'm keen to see them make an impact. And then what will be interesting is which players kick on from the Derby and continue to show good form, players such as Mauk, Garuccio, Retre, Clisby, Sorensen. I'm tipping the goal-scorers Mauk and Retre to back up with good performances.

All up though just keen to see the team continue with the positive momentum, and I reckon the fierce competition for spots will help that happen.

The gooch had a good game last week, but i just don't trust him to consistently put in good shifts at LB, he's always been better being played on the wing, so i think eventually zullo will take his starting spot (if he ever gets healthy)

It's tough regarding zullo, because whilst i think he should always be in the team when fit, who do you drop? Obviously you'd play him off the bench this week if fit, do you drop willo? Or hughes? just a tough, tough decision this week for jvs.

Definitely believe either Clisby or Melling should partner Kisnorbo in the back this week. Even whilst Brisbane are missing Maclaren, the speed of Solorzano and Petratos will be dangerous if Hughes partners Kisnorbo.

1 minute ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Definitely believe either Clisby or Melling should partner Kisnorbo in the back this week. Even whilst Brisbane are missing Maclaren, the speed of Solorzano and Petratos will be dangerous if Hughes partners Kisnorbo.

Not too mention Henrique.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

The gooch had a good game last week, but i just don't trust him to consistently put in good shifts at LB, he's always been better being played on the wing, so i think eventually zullo will take his starting spot (if he ever gets healthy)

It's tough regarding zullo, because whilst i think he should always be in the team when fit, who do you drop? Obviously you'd play him off the bench this week if fit, do you drop willo? Or hughes? just a tough, tough decision this week for jvs.

This is probably the main factor that's making me feel buyont about the rest of the season. 5 or 6 decent players on the bench that in seasons past would be definite starters. Zullo Melling Hughes Williams Koren are imo definite starting players. So what it's doing it's pushing players like Clisby Garrucio Mauk and Paartalu to maintain their spots. It's how a proper side should be. 

Next 3 games Brisbane, Sydney and WSW will for me prove if this is more than our annual streak. 2 are home so if we can get 7 points or better we are the real deal. So id be happy with a point again against Mr Anti football. 

The thread title triggered something Shakespeareian in my brain.

i can it see it now, Aloisi (Macbeth) peering from the corporate boxes (parapets) watching tuna-Mooy-Novillo warm up with some beautiful 1 touch football "arrgh Anti-Football (Birnam Wood) hath come to Suncorp (Dunsinane)" 

Fornaroli will play the role of Macduff, putting the tyrant's forces to the sword and thus starting the end of the Aloisi's (Macbeth's) brief reign as coach (King) in Brisbane (Scotland).

notes:

1.Apologises to William Shakespeare. 

2. Ok I admit it, strange stuff comes out of my head sometimes.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

i can it see it now, Aloisi (Macbeth) peering from the corporate boxes (parapets) watching tuna-Mooy-Novillo warm up with some beautiful 1 touch football "arrgh Anti-Football (Birnam Wood) hath come to Suncorp (Dunsinane)" 

Fornaroli will play the role of Macduff, putting the tyrant's forces to the sword and thus starting the end of the Aloisi's (Macbeth's) brief reign as coach (King) in Brisbane (Scotland).

notes:

Haha. Too much eggnog mate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

notes:

.....so....everyone's going to die?

Team News: Brisbane Roar v Melbourne City

image: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/di/library/Melbourne_Heart/a3/2f/team-news_11ch2j0c4ujb21rnziskdrx227.png?t=-775831383

Thursday, 24 December 2015  - 

@MelbourneCity .

Comments

The teams are in for Sunday’s 2nd vs 3rd clash with Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium. See who’s in and who’s out of this week’s side!

After last week’s Melbourne Derby win, John van’t Schip’s men will come into the contest relatively unchanged with Hernan Espindola dropping out of the extended side to make room for fellow young gun Matt Millar.

A handful of minutes for Aaron Hughes in the Derby gave the Northern Irishman crucial game time and van’t Schip will have yet another selection dilemma on his hands after the impressive performance of Jack Clisby at centre back against Victory.

With doubt surrounding the fitness of Jamie Maclaren and Steve Lustica this week, the latter looks to have succumbed to injury with an abdominal strain that will see him out of John Aloisi’s squad for two weeks. The Roar see the return of a young trio Devante Clut, Brandon Borrello and Corey Brown to the extended side with all three likely to make the final 16 before kick-off.

Sunday, 27 December 2015

Brisbane Roar FC v Melbourne City FC

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Kick-Off: 6:00 PM (Local) (7:00 PM (AEDT))

Referee: Jarred Gillett

Assistant Referee 1: Nathan MacDonald

Assistant Referee 2: Ashley Beecham

Fourth Official: Alex King

TV Broadcast: Live coverage on FOX SPORTS 505 from 7.00pm (AEDT) and Sky Sport 3 (New Zealand)

Radio Broadcast: 612 ABC Brisbane, 774 ABC Melbourne, ABC Local Radio Qld, ABC Local Radio Vic, Grandstand Digital, Online & via the ABC Radio Mobile App – A-league Live.