Melbourne Football

RD 12. Anti football comes back to Brisbane. 27/12 7pm

Dylan

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

We have the players we just have to use them and stop this running of the wings ping pong rubbish.

Koren and Hughes have to start next game or the season is over.

we sit top three, are two games clear of sixth and both the smurfs and the tards are in ACL - thereby will be game / travel weary from start of March.  jump the gun much?

disappointing game last night, but also a game of taken chances.  as JW mentioned the Paddy K own goal you see occur maybe one in ten times if that, the Fornaroli effort 1 min earlier (Young parries before Fornaroli squares literally across goal face 1m out with no one to follow up / knock in as an own goal) you see as an own goal far more often.

a few too many players were off their their game / played well below their experience level.  

that said, we still are bringing a number of previously injured back into the fold whilst having had three of the last four away.  Franjic seems to be getting more match fit too which is a massive bonus since he looks more than capable of smashing the shit outta most opposition's left flank - the guys is gonna be quality when fully fit.  i'm not getting too carried away about last night while still being cautious about the season.

I agree with your points but our game plan is predictable and was well countered last night. Cant see us beating the smurfs or wsw with such a plan. We need to bring on experience to help out our young players, release the pressure on Mooy, and vision to give it to Bruno at the right time.

Edited by playmaker

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I agree with your points but our game plan is predictable and was well countered last night. Cant see us beating the smurfs or Isis with such a plan. We need to bring on experience to help out our young players, release the pressure on Mooy, and vision to give it to Bruno at the right time.

Isis? Really?

6 hours ago, Habitual said:

Novillo really worries me, as does Mooy against the bigger teams. Novillo seems a 1 trick pony that sulks as soon as things don't go his way.

Whoever signs these players seriously needs to be looking for a new job.

The Hughes situation is a farce.

Novillo wasn't even the worst on the field and y'all riding him like his the reason we lost?

Dude if you have watched any of games this year you will realise how much of an impact he has on games. His scoring goals drawing defenders allowing other players in forward.

Also smoked Wellington last season in the elimination final.

• Like 1

I had to record the game and watched it late yesterday.

I was infuriated why we were so passive in the first half. Allowed them to have easy possession and on that first goal allowed the Brisbane player to go from right to left without making a tackle, which allowed the cross to come in that led to the OG. The second goal was once again easy possession and Sorenson should have saved it.

We at least came out for the second half and had a bit of a go, but Williams and Zinni offered nothing in attack when they came on. Maybe that was because we didn't give them the right service and use their pace properly. 

What we should be looking for is an out and out defensive midfielder. Someone who can sit there, read the game and protect the back four.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I had to record the game and watched it late yesterday.

I was infuriated why we were so passive in the first half. Allowed them to have easy possession and on that first goal allowed the Brisbane player to go from right to left without making a tackle, which allowed the cross to come in that led to the OG. The second goal was once again easy possession and Sorenson should have saved it.

We at least came out for the second half and had a bit of a go, but Williams and Zinni offered nothing in attack when they came on. Maybe that was because we didn't give them the right service and use their pace properly. 

What we should be looking for is an out and out defensive midfielder. Someone who can sit there, read the game and protect the back four.

We were effective for the first 15min or so of each half and then faded as Brisbane just passed the ball around and held on to it better than we did. Same goes for the previous week against Viktree. It looked as if we were deliberately gifting them possession but an alternative view is that we aren't that good at keeping the ball against sides that employ a pressing game like Roar, Tards and WSW.

WIllo to me looks like a player who knows he's gong to get the chop at the end of the season and is playing without a lot of confidence. Zinni is young and still too raw.

• Like 1

Further to the comments about inviting pressure I think 2 things were at play:

1.  We are not that good at holding the ball under pressure, made worse by Mooy and Retre being soundly beaten ( Parts played his guts out though, best game of the season for him)

2.  The heat and humidity affected our players more than theirs (they train in it)

I'm also getting annoyed at Novillo and Fornaroli playing for the free kick as often as they do.

11 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

WIllo to me looks like a player who knows he's gong to get the chop at the end of the season and is playing without a lot of confidence. Zinni is young and still too raw.

This is my beef about the selection of the match-day squad. Williams has done absolutely nothing for us this season, and Zinni is a NYL player who happens to be JvS' youth favourite for the week - before him it was Espindola and before him it was Dekker. So other than Robi Koren we had no quality attacking options coming off the bench. Hughes should have come into the back line and Garuccio to the wing which is where he belongs. With Novillo, Tuna and Garuccio up front and Koren and Mooy in midfield I reckon we could have had a much better chance of scoring.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now. Disappointing but we have to move on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Im not offended,but after us screaming blue murder after Alan Jones compared us to terrorists... Pot. Kettle etc

Its not that, its just in hindsight, I think I would rather avoid the potential to offend by using the reference, even though I have no intention of doings so. Thanks for bringing it to my attention in the first place.

Edited by playmaker

Just got back from my hangover from that night at the game. Thought I would add a few things.

its was fucking hot! I was soaked with sweat. I can't believe JVS wanted to play a pressing, counter attack game. Our guys looked exhausted.

paddy k had a shocker. Was positionaly all over the shop. 

Novillo was was copping it from the fans. All 17000 of them

On December 29, 2015 at 4:19 PM, playmaker said:

Its not that, its just in hindsight, I think I would rather avoid the potential to offend by using the reference, even though I have no intention of doings so. Thanks for bringing it to my attention in the first place.

My intention is to offend. 

• Like 1

Have been traveling and haven't been able to post.

The team weren't going to mantain a winning steak for the rest of the season, so the result wasn't that disappointing. The performance, in the 1st half in particular, was though. Didn't keep the ball well and control the game. But worse was the defending: defenders kept dropping (look at Kisnorbo for the 1st goal, he's 1 to 2 metres behind the defensive line playing Maclaren onside and then butchers the clearance for the OG), Garuccio was AWOL for the 2nd goal and generally our defending in wide areas was poor.

The main takeaway for me from that match was our defence is not a finished product yet. Whatever's causing our defenders to drop deeper and deeper (coaching tactics or players getting nervy on matchday [often because they are worried that players will get in behind them]) needs to be sorted out. I also agree we should mix up our build ups in attack On Ocassion, as long balls help the defence push up and we're actually pretty good at winning long balls in the air (Novillo and Fornaroli do very well).

Maybe a personnel can for the next game in defence: Hughes to CB and Clisby to LB. Hughes experience should in theory improve our defensive organisation.

It can be said that the good thing about our team's inconsistency is that following our previous 3 losses we bounced back with a win, a win and a draw. The league is a marathon, not a sprint, so if we can bounce back on Saturday and continue not losing multiple games in a row then things are pretty good, regardless of this annoying 3-1 loss.

• Like 1

Murf I think that our defence dropping deeper is linked to the high ball turnover from our defence and midfield. This also exacerbates the problems created by our narrow defence shape as opposition wingers can react quickly and get balls in behind our back 4. The big issue for us is our poor pass completion from defence to midfield

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...