Melbourne Football

R 3: City vs. CCM, Sun 25 Oct, 5.00 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

our midfield MMM was fantastic. looked much more composed and together than with Koren and Paartalu in the squad

I actually think they will improve a lot going forward. Mauk and Melling are really just getting back from long term injuries, and Mooy was playing his fourth game in about 10 days. You could see he was a bit tired in the second half. We have to stick with these three, and let them get used to playing with each other.

• Like 3

Really though ? the mariners were getting through at will 

I believe they showed a lot more mobility and desire. Of course CCM had a lot of the ball in this area, but so did we. Has I said before, it will take time for all three to work out the system they want to play before we see the best of them.

If Koren and Paartalu had been in there, the difference would have been we would have needed to do a lot more defending, and our transition to attack would have been slower.

• Like 2

We won, I'm happy to be wrong. Its the first time that we've won an opening home game in 5 seasons AFAIK. OTOH I saw a well structured proactive City team with a good understanding of movement off the ball and diagonal balls into space for forward running players, and I saw our City mens team. The W league team were very good considering that we had 6 Matildas and 2 international missing.

Back to the men's game. As usual it was a game of 2 halves.

Positives

Fornaroli - strong, brave, makes fantastic runs and could be even more effective if he wasn't so isolated. We need someone like Gameiro running off him.

Mark and Melling and Mooy are an effective midfield but need to keep possession better

Gameiro will be a great signing when he gets a few games under his belt. Full speed runs and all his shots were on target.

Negatives

One great assist pass for Bruno's goal but a real liability otherwise especially defensively

Kisnorbo - no wonder opponents give him space to play out, his passing accuracy is atrocious and a liability to the team. I hope Hughes is fit soon

First half was a classic Heart performance against a poor team. The ease that CCM got behind our back 4 is embarrassing and dangerous. I know that JVS chooses to play with the full backs high, like the visitors used to do but it really leaves us quite vulnerable and needs to be solved against more competent teams.

Williams

we still haven't played a match where we've played for 90 minutes

We failed to control the match and even in the last minute there was a chance CCM could get back into it.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

Mauk was good, no doubt.... But the way this game was played, Tuna would have had about 5 goals if Koren was playing.

I was really concerned about Garuccio in that second half. That left side of our defence was like a freeway for a while there. Also, I don't know how many times I have sat at that northern end and watched an opposition team play with acres of space just on top of our box. Don't know how many goals I've seen that we've copped the same way.

Kuzi is a delight to watch but again got knocked off it a little too easily. Will be a wonderful asset for the future if we can hold onto him.

Great to see Gameiro, Melling and Williams now getting through games after their injuries. Now just for Novillo and Franjic to come in.

Thought that we had a great crowd today considering all the gloom and doom on here during the week. Also could see the club making an effort to drum up some atmosphere before the game which was good.

So all in all, a really good day topped off nicely by that good win. Hopefully it's the springboard to set us up for the year.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

A very good day of football, watching two Melbourne City teams get pretty good wins. Really enjoyable seeing Melbourne City's W-League team play some good attacking football to win a Melbourne Derby, and overall I thought the A-League team played well and got a solid deserved 3-1 win against our bogey side CCM (only our 2nd ever win against them in 16 matches).

Fornaroli's a revelation. He adds so so much to the team: truly awesome positioning, a sharp turn and a clinical finish around the box, a massive work-rate, a hungry "never say die" attitude and hold up play so good he's a better target man than Kennedy (every time he gets front-side of his defender, out-muscles them and nearly always holds up the ball). He had the better of the Mariners defenders all night, and Fornaroli is the focal point in attack this club has sorely needed for years.

Melling brought his combative presence back to the midfield, and was a solid all-around contributor in the middle of the park. However he was maybe out of position for the Mariners goal. I also thought Mauk combined well with Mooy and others and helps build up our attacks, as distinct from too many midfielders this club has had that seemed to slow down or halt our attacks. I agree that the MMM midfield will get better and more polished with more game time, so I'm keen to see those 3 midfielders play next Friday against Newcastle.

A few other things that stood out:

- Kisnorbo responded in the perfect way to being dropped, by scoring a good goal and being defensively strong, especially in the air (his passing still leaves a bit to be desired though)

- Kuzi looked lively, and I believe with more and more A-League minutes he'll become even more influential. A top A-League winger in the making

- How excellent that we can bring Williams and Gameiro off the bench. Fair play to Williams, he produced a good assist, and Gameiro got in some good positions. Both are still getting back to full fitness and will be much better for the run

- IMO Gameiro doesn't take too many shots. Rather, Melbourne City have created too few shooting opportunities for Fornaroli until this game, starving him of the ball in the right positions meaning he couldn't produce more shots. And when we do get the ball to Fornaroli in the right positions near goal, as this game showed, look what happens

- The Mariners targeted our fullbacks all game and gave Garuccio and Retre some bother. The team needs to get better at providing our fullbacks with some cover, either with wingers tracking back or with midfielders shifting over to help out 

All up, a cracking and entertaining day of football, with 5 Melbourne City goals and 2 good wins. With both teams getting important players back (or getting important players fitter) I'm keen to see how both teams can follow up next week.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

where's the video? it says player above but theres no player

edit: nvm, had adblock on

Got to say, I don't find it that funny. If the poor bloke isn't confident enough in his English to do a post-match interview (and like the club wouldn't know whether he'd be capable in that scenario), let Kisnorbo, Mooy, or even Sorensen do it.

He's a beast though. Like Melling, but as a forward. I can't remember us ever having a forward as strong and as agile as he is, certainly not in my time. Our quick forwards have always been pushed aside far too easily. It's not going to happen El Tuna.

Great win. Credit where it's due. Back it up against the Jets and we're an excellent chance of putting ourselves in the top three.

Mauk was good, no doubt.... But the way this game was played, Tuna would have had about 5 goals if Koren was playing.

I was really concerned about Garuccio in that second half. That left side of our defence was like a freeway for a while there. Also, I don't know how many times I have sat at that northern end and watched an opposition team play with acres of space just on top of our box. Don't know how many goals I've seen that we've copped the same way.

Kuzi is a delight to watch but again got knocked off it a little too easily. Will be a wonderful asset for the future if we can hold onto him.

Great to see Gameiro, Melling and Williams now getting through games after their injuries. Now just for Novillo and Franjic to come in.

Thought that we had a great crowd today considering all the gloom and doom on here during the week. Also could see the club making an effort to drum up some atmosphere before the game which was good.

So all in all, a really good day topped off nicely by that good win. Hopefully it's the springboard to set us up for the year.

Yep, credit where it's due there as well. It wasn't 10,000, but it was much better than I anticipated. Delighted to be able to put my hand up and say I was way wrong with my expectations from the crowd going in. Well done to everyone that turned up.

A comment on the traffic down our left. After we scored JVS grabbed Benny for a chat. 2 things changed after that 1) Gamiero and Williams swapped wings& Willo  helped out a hell of a lot more & 2) Benny marked a lot tighter. After that the problem was solved (well it ended up being redirected).

I thought Williams was great today. An assist and worked hard forward and back. Needs to do this every week now.

• Like 1

Fuck people are harsh on kisnorbo. I know he's not the greatest when it comes to passing the ball out of defence but the amount of chance saving challenges and defensively won headers he gets just get no credit on here. He even scored a goal today and still people just rush to criticise.

I'm not harsh on his defending but watch how opposing forward drop off him when he has the ball, mostly the ball just comes straight back and his distribution greatly reduces our efficiency in attack

A comment on the traffic down our left. After we scored JVS grabbed Benny for a chat. 2 things changed after that 1) Gamiero and Williams swapped wings& Willo  helped out a hell of a lot more & 2) Benny marked a lot tighter. After that the problem was solved (well it ended up being redirected).

I thought Williams was great today. An assist and worked hard forward and back. Needs to do this every week now.

Yeah, Willo really added a bit. Obviously the assist, but there was the work rate as well. I remember one time where he was bugging a Mariners player with the ball, just on our defensive side of halfway and he bothered the opponent to such an extent that Mooy was able to just cruise past and pick his pocket from behind, like taking candy from a baby. As a designated sub, he's a great luxury to have.

Got to say, I don't find it that funny. If the poor bloke isn't confident enough in his English to do a post-match interview (and like the club wouldn't know whether he'd be capable in that scenario), let Kisnorbo, Mooy, or even Sorensen do it.

Nah, it looked like his english was good enough, he just wanted to do a little dedication to his family and fans in Uruguay who don't know english

bruno was great, mooy was mooy
ref and linesman are spastics
crowd looked bigger, south end had heaps, bench side wing mostly full but sides of the active bay didn't have many, looks like they've been extended too
and don't want garuccio in defence

southend had heaps as I was surprised to turn up and be told that all GA ticket holders are now down the south end

Nah, it looked like his english was good enough, he just wanted to do a little dedication to his family and fans in Uruguay who don't know english

Either he is a tremendous actor, or his grasp of English is very rudimentary.

Given he spoke no English when he arrived in Australia, I don't think he was putting it on.

And that this current stint would likely be the longest time he's ever spent in an English speaking country, judging by his playing history.

Melbourne City’s new strike weapon Bruno Fornaroli sinks Central Coast Mariners

David Davutovic

25 October 2015

WHEN Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip had to nominate his dream striker at the end of last season, he would have picked one who can score more than 12 goals.

Bruno Fornaroli will not only break City’s scoring record for an A-League season, he’ll do it in style and work his socks off in the process.

A brace from the Uruguayan and another superb display from Socceroos midfielder Aaron Mooy led City to a 3-1 win over Central Coast in front of 8408 at AAMI Park, a maiden win of the campaign.

Fornaroli’s first was a poacher’s goal while his second displayed world-class technical ability, as he killed off the game in the second half after Patrick Kisnorbo’s early header was cancelled out by Nick Fitzgerald.

Coupled with Corey Gamerio, who made his City debut and is hungry to score, an impressive Williams (the only City player to have scored more than 10 goals in a season) plus unpredictable winger Harry Novillo and Robert Koren returning from injury, City’s attack is more potent than ever.

Though reinstating captain Patrick Kisnorbo, van’t Schip stuck to his guns and left midfielder Erik Paartalu out of the squad yet again.

Mooy was a constant threat from set pieces and his pinpoint delivery found Kisnorbo, who was unmarked and headed home from close range on 11 minutes.

Fitzgerald, who lost Kisnorbo too easily for the City goal, redeemed himself in glorious fashion two minutes on when he unleashed a scorcher of an equaliser from 25 metres.

Olyroos keeper Paul Izzo, making his first start of the season with Liam Reddy suspended by the Mariners for ‘disciplinary reasons’, pulled off a stunning save that was close to going over the line from a Mooy free-kick.

That all happened in the opening 15 minutes and the chances didn’t stop thereafter, as the Mariners’ attacking style creating openings at both ends.

The Mariners are more adventurous than under Phil Moss, often going man for man at the back where teams usually opt for an extra defender.

What hasn’t changed is their physicality and the Mariners, in particular captain Nick Montgomery and the stoppers, seemed to intimidate City early.

Fitzgerald had two chances sail just over the bar, while Fabio Ferreira had a goal disallowed for offside.

Winger Stefan Zinni struck the upright after a brilliant turn and pass from Fornaroli, while the teen, who was replacing Wade Dekker, put another great chance over the bar.

Williams replaced the impressive Zinni in the 50th minute and made an instant impact.

His clever run down the right was rewarded by a stunning Mooy pass and Williams’ precision cross found poacher Fornaroli, who slid in and wrong-footed Izzo to restore City’s lead in the 53rd minute.

Gameiro replaced the tricky Steve Kuzmanovski two minutes later, making his first appearance since his knee reconstruction 11 months ago but looked sharp, going close twice within three minutes.

Both teams had chances late on, with Fitzgerald’s goal disallowed for offside, but the win was deserved and critical after the FFA Cup disappointment last Wednesday in Perth.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-citys-new-strike-weapon-bruno-fornaroli-sinks-central-coast-mariners/story-fni2wcjl-1227581825482

Games like this is what will bring people through the turnstiles. I'm not talking about just the win but that it was an entertaining 90 minutes of football. One could argue that Mariners being so attacking allowed the game to open up, but all in all an enjoyable match none the less.

So after all the disappointment is this the standard win that makes us believe that we have turned a corner? Yeah I'm on to you JVS you cunt, get ready for a shit game against Newy due to inferior tactics to bring back. 

Great win from the boys though, Bruno is a god, possibly even better than Hoffman. If go as far as saying statue of bruno>statue of Hoffman. Stadium named Mooy Park. Get in cunts, what a win. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5

I'm not harsh on his defending but watch how opposing forward drop off him when he has the ball, mostly the ball just comes straight back and his distribution greatly reduces our efficiency in attack

I see what you mean bela (my comment about kisnorbo wasn't directed at you btw, more or less everyone on here who seems to get on his case) but surely all he has to do is hand the ball off to mooy or another midfielder and just worrying about defending? I can admit that he has the tendency to fall in love with the long ball, but the bloke does easily 8-10 great defensive things a game and yet all we seem to focus about when talking about him is the fact he kicks the ball long a couple of times. 

The godfather of soul > some French poof techno robot douchebags 

I'd have to say I'm more of a fan of Daft Punk than James Brown, but James Brown was awesome after a goal. 'One More Time' is just such a cheesy, lame choice.

Are they still using Rage Against the Machine for the walk out? I didn't get there early enough.

One more time is a big improvement. Still could do a lot better though. Songs like seven nation army and chase the sun work best, if we could find something unique but along those general lines we'd be onto a winner. 

After further consideration, I guess the thing is they could play Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm by the Crash Test Dummies after a goal at home and pretty soon it would start sounding good to me. 

What you're suggesting sounds like one of a number of MGMT tracks, or something like Midnight City. Though, if we're looking for something that hasn't been done overseas, Empire of the Sun would probably be a good option.

After further consideration, I guess the thing is they could play Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm by the Crash Test Dummies after a goal at home and pretty soon it would start sounding good to me. 

What you're suggesting sounds like one of a number of MGMT tracks, or something like Midnight City. Though, if we're looking for something that hasn't been done overseas, Empire of the Sun would probably be a good option.

just need more iron maiden. Simple

• Like 1

Just thinking back on the game and the team we had. We had Chapman, Retre, Garuccio, Melling, Mauk, Mooy, Kuzi and Zinni on the field. Gamiero and Millar on the bench. We also have Dekker and Espindola who have played this season.

Whatever happens this season, we have some great young Australian talent in our squad.

• Like 4

To me it looked like at first that he just simply slipped into Spanish without realising he had. The second time I don't know - he did thank his family as the interviewer understood but maybe he wasn't sure of his English.

I see what you mean bela (my comment about kisnorbo wasn't directed at you btw, more or less everyone on here who seems to get on his case) but surely all he has to do is hand the ball off to mooy or another midfielder and just worrying about defending? I can admit that he has the tendency to fall in love with the long ball, but the bloke does easily 8-10 great defensive things a game and yet all we seem to focus about when talking about him is the fact he kicks the ball long a couple of times. 

Well yes, but he doesn't and thats why opposing teams give him time and space and our attacks break down

The absolute best part of today was no more friggin James Brown! 

Not sure if 'One More Time' is the answer, but I love Daft Punk and 'Get Up Outta That Seat' was a mood killer for me. 

First I thought that you meant James Brown the player and given that he is injured and what is at the clubs'  disposal this does mean that James Brown the player will struggle to get a game.

As for the tunes - well I like both James Brown from my childhood days through to Daft Punk. I have to say to celebrate a goal I rather have a belting song rather than the more sedate One More Time. Lets face it when the ball hits the back of the net no one stays silent - I want something to complete the noise the crowd makes. It also has to be kid friendly.

Just thinking back on the game and the team we had. We had Chapman, Retre, Garuccio, Melling, Mauk, Mooy, Kuzi and Zinni on the field. Gamiero and Millar on the bench. We also have Dekker and Espindola who have played this season.

Whatever happens this season, we have some great young Australian talent in our squad.

Interestingly enough when the franchise was created the development of youth was a selling point. Of course the owners back then completely reneged on it.

Entertaining  game with our big guns firing. This is what we need to bring in the crowds, let's hope this continues on Friday night. 

As big of a fan of giving the young guy a run, we just looked so much more aggressive when Gamerio and Williams came on. Kuzi and Zinni played well but I think they will be better off as impact subs. It will be a shame when Harry comes back and one will obviously have to make way for him. 

• Like 1