Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

There's a tipping point in renewals of season-tickets - where attendances reach a certain % of the capacity of the stadium - such that in order to get the seat/active position that you like you need to take out a season-ticket rather than take pot luck on matchday. It's somewhere in the range 60-70%, and both Victory and WSW have reached that point.

The bigger the stadium you play in compared with your average home attendance the less reason there is to buy a season-ticket unless you are sure you'll get to most matches and hence save dollars over the season. Otherwise, it's better to be a walk-up on matchday. 

If all clubs played in smaller stadiums you would see season-ticket sales rise dramatically.

It's basically a supply/demand issue.

Good god. If only it was that simple. 

You absolutely have a point in that once a certain percentage of seats are sold it becomes more beneficial to become a member. I don't believe that's the only factor though, or that it is the major factor. 

If all clubs played in smaller stadiums you would see almost identical season ticket sales I'd wager. Arguably less, depending on other circumstances. 

There's a tipping point in renewals of season-tickets - where attendances reach a certain % of the capacity of the stadium - such that in order to get the seat/active position that you like you need to take out a season-ticket rather than take pot luck on matchday. It's somewhere in the range 60-70%, and both Victory and WSW have reached that point.

The bigger the stadium you play in compared with your average home attendance the less reason there is to buy a season-ticket unless you are sure you'll get to most matches and hence save dollars over the season. Otherwise, it's better to be a walk-up on matchday. 

If all clubs played in smaller stadiums you would see season-ticket sales rise dramatically.

It's basically a supply/demand issue.

yeah but what about adelaide, they have the smallest stadium in the entire league

So even after advertising on a billboard on City Rd, an FFA Cup win, a Uruguayan striker signing and Aaron re-signing for 3 years, memberships have well and truly fallen behind last season:

K3Q37Ln.png

After 7 weeks (49 days) last season we had 668 more members and on this date a year ago we had 1,122 more members.

I´m not really arsed about memberships but I wonder how it rhymes with the statement from Scott Munn.. He might have some explaining to do if he was telling porkies :lol:

I hope 14k members is one of his KRAs...

We better win the first Melbourne derby (Rd2) and first home game (Rd3) to have any chance of getting anywhere near 10k members. ...Unless we get Pirlo :up:

I hope 14k members is one of his KRAs...

We better win the first Melbourne derby (Rd2) and first home game (Rd3) to have any chance of getting anywhere near 10k members. ...Unless we get Pirlo :up:

Fuck the memberships, we'd better win the first Melbourne derby (Rd2) and first home game (Rd3) full stop. (Have we ever won our first home game of the season?)

Fuck the memberships, we'd better win the first Melbourne derby (Rd2) and first home game (Rd3) full stop. (Have we ever won our first home game of the season?)

You realise this is the 'Memberships' thread hence my point about the impact of winning the derby and first home game would have on memberships.

If I was writing in the "Season 2015/16 Expectations" thread, I'd have written exactly what you wrote.

That was an away match, not a home match.

We have never won our first home match of the season. And this season, the first home match is against CCM, our bogey side.

my apologies, I misread Yeh our home form usually stinks at the start of season but once we get going we are usually hard to beat, evident of last season form.

That was an away match, not a home match.

We have never won our first home match of the season. And this season, the first home match is against CCM, our bogey side.

Perfect. The mark of a team on the right track is putting a hoodoo to bed, best possible way to start the season.

Looking at the table, it is pretty clear that for most clubs, there is no need to buy a membership!

Take us, even Sydney FC. In relation to the stadiums we use, there is never a chance of filling it up, so need to for the 'reserved seat' (thats all a membership is at the end of the day) to take off.

The membership culture in this town was born out of smaller, suburban AFL clubs - and if you didnt reserve your spot you could miss out entirely. 

There is absolutely no fear of that in the A-league, except for Victory or WSW. Victory was in many ways lucky, in that they were the only club from the start, and had a monopoly for so long (IMHO the biggest stuff up the A-league did was not starting 2 Melb and Syd teams - could take generations to rectifiy in melbourne) and that coupled with a comparatively small Aami Park, means that membership urgency is created for them. In the case of WSW, a small stadium for them in addition to historical boundaries in the city creates this.

If we played in a 10K stadium, perhaps urgency could be expected. I have tried to get people to sign up, got some last year - but the probably is for these Melbourne City fans is that they can pick and purchase the games they want to, and it is all easy. A membership isnt an option unless you go many games and are specific as to where you want to sit.

• Like 3

I don't get it?

This is a strange one, no one is going to signup on the hope they might have their membership refunded.

So why are they doing this?

I suppose it barely costs them anything, and even if it entices 2 people to signup it's worked, but still can't see it doing much.

It's just the headline that amuses me - "Membership Money Back." When I saw the e-mail my first reaction was that all memberships were going to have to be refunded for some reason. What they really mean is "Win a Free Membership" or something like that.

• Like 1

It's just the headline that amuses me - "Membership Money Back." When I saw the e-mail my first reaction was that all memberships were going to have to be refunded for some reason. What they really mean is "Win a Free Membership" or something like that.

I also like the line "one lucky member get their full season membership reimbursed" 

Reminds me of the posters at train stations saying that if they dont meet their KPI's customers may be entitled to compensation. Maybe they should set a list of targets they have to meet during each game and if they dont, every member gets reimbursed a % of their admission. The funds can come from JVS's paycheck. Would put an end to the boring football pretty quickly

Edited by KSK_47

Looking at the table, it is pretty clear that for most clubs, there is no need to buy a membership!

Take us, even Sydney FC. In relation to the stadiums we use, there is never a chance of filling it up, so need to for the 'reserved seat' (thats all a membership is at the end of the day) to take off.

The membership culture in this town was born out of smaller, suburban AFL clubs - and if you didnt reserve your spot you could miss out entirely. 

There is absolutely no fear of that in the A-league, except for Victory or WSW. Victory was in many ways lucky, in that they were the only club from the start, and had a monopoly for so long (IMHO the biggest stuff up the A-league did was not starting 2 Melb and Syd teams - could take generations to rectifiy in melbourne) and that coupled with a comparatively small Aami Park, means that membership urgency is created for them. In the case of WSW, a small stadium for them in addition to historical boundaries in the city creates this.

If we played in a 10K stadium, perhaps urgency could be expected. I have tried to get people to sign up, got some last year - but the probably is for these Melbourne City fans is that they can pick and purchase the games they want to, and it is all easy. A membership isnt an option unless you go many games and are specific as to where you want to sit.

Well said. I agree with those points.

The club should be doing more to create a sense of momentum around the club, and urgency to sign up. One sure way to do that would be to play more pre-season games in Melbourne that supporters could come and watch. Right now the club is doing the opposite, by playing few pre-season games in Melbourne and trying to keep hushed-up the few games it does (such as the match against the Newcastle Jets this Sunday).

The several month off-season and pre-season is interminably long, and every A-League club should be doing all they can to engage with supporters over this terribly long period. Melbourne City could start by announcing tomorrow that they are playing Wellington at AAMI Park in the Round of 16...

• Like 1

The several month off-season and pre-season is interminably long, and every A-League club should be doing all they can to engage with supporters over this terribly long period. 

I've begun to think that this is actually the most important message that supporters need to get through to HQ, but I have no idea of how we can do that. 

Engagement of supporters during the off season???  Well there was a great opportunity to run events for supporters involving our smaller brother team Manchester City while they were in town for the ICC tourno. And guess what? To not put too fine a point on it - IT WAS A COMPLETE FCUKING STUFF UP!!! 

Asking people to go to Queensland to watch us play a friendly against our supposed CFG member team was completely moronic. Manchester City was in town and Melbourne City was no where to be found   :droy:    A wasted opportunity to promote the club.

I got my membership again but tbh I'm not sure why.

I had strongly disagreed with all who said "heart is dead, city is a new club"

I was wrong, they were right. 

So I will be there with my other 3 tragic supporters, watching the game, but I have to ask........

How do you guys motivate yourself to love this new shiny.....thing, I'm struggling.

• Like 1