Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

Fuck, I have (had?) EUR200 in a Greek bank account that my granddad had left me - that's probably gone now or I'll get taxed and charge over half to access it! Lol

Anyway, here's your first installment of the membership count for the 2014/15 season! 

MCFC members 29-06-15<br/><a  data-cke-saved-href="http://oi60.tinypic.com/xen3w1.jpg" href="http://oi60.tinypic.com/xen3w1.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

RoD, we need an updated graph. We're sitting on 4,921 so far, lower than last year on a date basis but I'm guessing higher once we take account of the later release this year.

The later start becomes less and less relevant the closer we get to the season, I don't think it even needs to be considered. 

The closest you can get to a truly fair comparison is Malloy's suggestion of having it displayed as a percentage of days from the memberships release until the start of the season.

Edited by Jimmy

lol, what is a $15 increase really? 
a couple of drinks at the pub?

Sorry Nate but i must take exception with this, i get $708.80 per fortnight Pension so to find the money for 2 season tickets (and that is what they are, nothing more) i have to juggle where i am going to make some savings so to me it is more than "a couple of drinks at the pub" i think we are paying a bit much for 14 games, because fundamentally that's what we get for $215.00 and that is a concession price. 

• Like 3

After plateauing a little around Days 20-22, they've really accelerated from days 23-25 (15th-17th July), which is leading up to when we played Manchester City on the 18th - could the extra exposure football is getting with the ICC tournament in town and playing our big sister club be the reason? I can't think of another reason for the sudden boost, i.e. no big announcement, no big signing, no new membership packages, etc...

After plateauing a little around Days 20-22, they've really accelerated from days 23-25 (15th-17th July), which is leading up to when we played Manchester City on the 18th - could the extra exposure football is getting with the ICC tournament in town and playing our big sister club be the reason? I can't think of another reason for the sudden boost, i.e. no big announcement, no big signing, no new membership packages, etc...

Last Friday was the expiry for the early bird pricing. 

• Like 1

Last Friday was the expiry for the early bird pricing. 

Thanks for the update Red. I would expect to see a little bit of a kick-up as we approach 31st July, the last day for renewal for those wishing to retain their reserved seats, but after that IMO much is going to depend on whether we make any really inspiring signings and how we go in further pre-season matches including the FFA Cup.

Spiros, Dimitrios, Yiannis, Elias, Andreas, Kyriakos, Panos, Sakis, Lakis, Takis, etc...

You Greek?.... or googled "Greek names"?

Roula, Toula, Soula, Voula, Foula and Agape

Reminds me of the opposite side of Greeks. Maco names; Dimce, Borce, Goce, Pece, Ice, Mace..

You Greek?.... or googled "Greek names"?

Reminds me of the opposite side of Greeks. Maco names; Dimce, Borce, Goce, Pece, Ice, Mace..

Born and bred! Imported by Singapore Airlines in 1990! :D

Edit: ...and my name is one of those I quoted earlier! haha

Edited by Red or Dead
  • Like 1

You don't become or stay a billioner if you give profits away but by increasing it. 

Not sure how it works with the big football clubs, but if you look at US sports, the owners make their money when they ultimately sell the franchise, not by counting the beans season-to-season. There's only so many NBA/NFL/MLB franchises, but there's a heap of billionaires keen to spend whatever it takes to get one. The fact that the vast majority generally run at a loss makes little difference to them.

Isn't that basically how things work with the Shiekh's family's business interests? Doesn't Etihad lose money every year, when looked at as a stand-alone enterprise, while more than making it back on the roundabouts for the owners through the incentives that they receive through having these diverse business interests? 

Not sure how it works with the big football clubs, but if you look at US sports, the owners make their money when they ultimately sell the franchise, not by counting the beans season-to-season. There's only so many NBA/NFL/MLB franchises, but there's a heap of billionaires keen to spend whatever it takes to get one. The fact that the vast majority generally run at a loss makes little difference to them.

Isn't that basically how things work with the Shiekh's family's business interests? Doesn't Etihad lose money every year, when looked at as a stand-alone enterprise, while more than making it back on the roundabouts for the owners through the incentives that they receive through having these diverse business interests? 

https://youtu.be/BzAdXyPYKQo

Edited by Grimey
  • Like 2

Etihad airways is profitable since a couple of years but CFG is not so they are more similar to your average American sports organisation at a guess.
But Al-Nahyan wealth is enormous and Sheikh Mansour belongs to the most powerful fraction of the family which is why talks about money becomes odd in the long run. The SWF he runs (IPIC) got something like $70bn in assets last time I looked.

To be honest, I think CFG will give significantly less fucks than some of the posters here think they will.

I'm sure that the higher-ups are very aware of how poorly some of the events/results of last season were percieved, but it's very early days in their ownership and their goals are almost certainly set on long term improvement rather than a quick fix.

They'll start to get worried if that membership counter isn't experiencing significant growth 2-3 seasons from now, not after a season where the team fell significantly short of some of the high expectations that were being placed on them by the media and some fans.

• Like 2

I really like Victoty's membership recognition system. It's tiered based on years of membership and you get a different colored/designed scarf and membership card depending on your tier.

It's not much but it's something and I'd love to see something similar for us.

I really like Victoty's membership recognition system. It's tiered based on years of membership and you get a different colored/designed scarf and membership card depending on your tier.

Yes, sixth season coming up and I'm still waiting for some recognition as a Foundation member...

• Like 6

Given up on your Lapel pin campaign bro?

Marketing department has gotten a bit of a face lift in regards to personnel, starting with the bloke coming down from Manchester and a few appointments made in regards to exposure of the club and getting the 'City' name out there. They're well aware that the numbers are dwindling and just how much of a challenge it is going be to get back up to 10K members for this season and keeping it that way for seasons ahead, with the aim to keep those fair weather fans on board. Fair to say they have their work cut out for them and of cause, the quality of performances play a major part to that too.

I said something similar to that. I said I'm happy to pay $10 more for a membership if they give you a scarf. They will get charged $5 at most if more than 8,00 scarves were ordered and it still would mean revenue gained through each scarf! 

For our membership numbers to go up, Melbourne City need a massive season. Unfortunately we have failed to deliver anything promising in 5yrs so supporters don't have anything to grab hold of. From the outside looking in, we are a club that pretty much changes 50% of the squad each season, we don't have any young exciting talented players that we have seen mature and develop.. Our football play has been patchy and inconsistent and our recruiting (not counting this season coming up) has been boarder line embarrassing.. 

The pressure for everyone at Melbourne City including the back room staff have an enormous challenge a head ..

I sincerely hope we smash it this season..