Melbourne Football

Round 2 | The Melbourne Derby | Etihad stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 17th of October

Cityscape

Tesla we shouldn't have to choose, lets win both! Put it this way, if winning a derby costs us a chance to whip the visitors in the FFA Cup final it will be a real opportunity lost for the franchise. let's get into the FFA Cup Final, whip them there and then win the other 2 derbies and the Premiership

Victory will beat Hume and make the the FFA Cup final. If we beat Perth, I reckon the team that won the first game between City and Victory this season--that is this Saturday's derby--will got into the FFA Cup final with momentum.

But if we managed a win this Saturday, imagine the momentum it would give us if Melbourne City made it to the FFA Cup final against Victory. I'd say we would be significantly more likely to win the November 7 final if we get a good result on Saturday.

So in my judgement we simply have to play the best lineup this Saturday against victory and next Wednesday against Perth. 

• Like 2

Melbourne Victory squad: 1.Danny VUKOVIC (GK), 2.Jason GERIA, 3.Scott GALLOWAY, 5.Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 7.Gui FINKLER, 8.Besart BERISHA, 9.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 11.Connor PAIN, 13.Oliver BOZANIC, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 15.Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO, 16.Rashid MAHAZI, 17.Matthieu DELPIERRE, 18.Dylan MURNANE, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 21.Carl VALERI (c), 22.Jesse MAKAROUNAS, 24.Thomas DENG

**Two to be omitted**

Ins: 2.Jason GERIA (returns from international duty), 3.Scott GALLOWAY (returns from international duty), 11.Connor PAIN (returns from international duty), 15.Giancarlo GALLIFUOCO (returns from international duty), 21.Carl VALERI (returns from injury)

Outs: 6.Leigh BROXHAM (suspended – 1 week), 19.George HOWARD, 32.Stefan NIGRO

Unavailable: 4.Nick ANSELL (injury), 10.Archie THOMPSON (injury)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 34.Stefan ZINNI, 36.Matt MILLER
**Two to be omitted**

Ins: 21.Stefan MAUK (returns from international duty), 36.Matt MILLER (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1-2 weeks), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 4-6 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – 1 week), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 3-4 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot – 1 week), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-round-2---ins-and-outs/g9cyyssefvec1gqvfdoym6wom#P7E6qEiJKZD0Btz8.99

Not mentioned: David Williams, Callum Richardson.

melling also not mentioned

Interestingly the club just tweet this in response to a question about Melling's absence:

Hey Matthew! If a player is not listed in the squad, it means they are available for selection, but not selected for that match

https://twitter.com/MelbourneCity/status/654565177925373952

I reckon they are fit enough to play, at least without injuring themselves, but either because of form or lack of match fitness/sharpness they weren't selected for Saturday's matchday squad. 

Melling and Williams are probably a decent chance to feature against Perth in some way next week IMO.

Edited by Murfy1

TBH I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

It lists the squad, the ins, the outs, and the unavailable, so all that's left is those available, not in the squad last time (so not an 'out'), and not in the squad this time(not selected).

• Like 1

It would be so much simpler if they listed the selected match-day squad first, and then all the other contracted players with the reasons that they have not been selected (i.e. not selected, national team duty, injury status, etc.).

Saves all the uncertainty and questions.

K.I.S.S.

Considering the senior squad had a light training session today I can't imagine even our club would risk injury to any senior player just to help Hume out. If they did then the coaching staff have lost the plot. We have four matches in the next 14 days.

Photos from the training session are here: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/photo-gallery/gallery-melbourne-city-fc-prepare-for-the-melbourne-derby-1kww39sfolxbd12pbao04qiz1w/15-1

Franjic was training and doesn't look too impaired. Also Hughes there.

Edited by jw1739

TBH I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

It lists the squad, the ins, the outs, and the unavailable, so all that's left is those available, not in the squad last time (so not an 'out'), and not in the squad this time(not selected).

well yeah, but as its been 3 years since we had enough fit players to actually leave some out come match day, we've all forgotten about the concept.

anyway I'm with all the cynics. We'll know the squad when it comes out of the race before kickoff.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

Melbourne Victory squad:

Unavailable: 4.Nick ANSELL (injury), 10.Archie THOMPSON (injury)

Melbourne City FC squad: 

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1-2 weeks), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 4-6 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – 1 week), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 3-4 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot – 1 week), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

Fucking hell. 7 unavailable compared to their 2

Fucking hell. 7 unavailable compared to their 2

Isn't this a case of us being ultra-cautious? Pretty sure that if this was AFL there'd be a few cortisone injections and the players would play. Hughes and Franjic were both training yesterday. Gameiro played last night against Hume and said several weeks ago that he felt ready to play himself. Seems to me it's really Brown with a legacy issue, and Novillo and Marino with genuine pre-season injuries that are our real concerns. Espindola is our already our injury-replacement for Brown.

I doubt that Brown will play for us again. I can't see him being retained at the end of this season.

• Like 1