Melbourne Football

2015 vs 2014 squad comparison

Shahanga

So we have:

The best player in the league (Mooy)

A bloke who at the start of last season was the best player in the league on paper, and despite not performing last season looks like he will show his true ability this season (Koren)

The two best fullbacks in the league.

The best keeper in the league (at least on paper).

The best backup keeper in the league.

A bloke who looks like he could be the best signing in the league this season (Tuna).

An A-League All Star on the bench (Williams).

Two of the best young players in the league (Chapman and Melling).

The most experienced defender in the league (Hughes).

A multiple championship winner considered by many to be close to the best defensive midfielder in the league only a year or two ago (Paartalu).

A bloke who was on the verge of destroying the league last season with his attacking ability before he was ruled out with injury (Gameiro).

And probably the player with the most individual ability in the league (Novillo) (and before anyone comments about all my previous anti-Novillo sentiments, I've never questioned his individual ability, rather his selfishness and how he will integrate into the team).

Can we please not have any comments about the squad not being good enough this season. Far worse squads than this have won the title.

And with Edwards potentially signing... WOW, no excuses this season!

So we have:

A bloke who at the start of last season was the best player in the league on paper, and despite not performing last season looks like he will show his true ability this season (Koren)

A bloke who looks like he could be the best signing in the league this season (Tuna).

A multiple championship winner considered by many to be close to the best defensive midfielder in the league only a year or two ago (Paartalu).

A bloke who was on the verge of destroying the league last season with his attacking ability before he was ruled out with injury (Gameiro).

And probably the player with the most individual ability in the league (Novillo) (and before anyone comments about all my previous anti-Novillo sentiments, I've never questioned his individual ability, rather his selfishness and how he will integrate into the team).

Can we please not have any comments about the squad not being good enough this season. Far worse squads than this have won the title.

I have been saying for ages that people around here will only stop making excuses for JVS until we have a perfect squad. Well now we basically do. 

Its 1st or fuck off!

Edited by KSK_47

I have been saying for ages that people around here will only stop making excuses for JVS until we have a perfect squad. Well now we basically do. 

Its 1st or fuck off!

Yes I want us to end first, but anywhere in the top 3 I'd be happy.. no doubt some of our players will be injury or out on international duty, and finding great coherency, I'd he happy for top 3.

Yes I want us to end first, but anywhere in the top 3 I'd be happy.. no doubt some of our players will be injury or out on international duty, and finding great coherency, I'd he happy for top 3.

And other clubs won't have injuries and international duty?

So we have:

honestly Tesla you love your extremes don't you? That is the best possible interpretation of our squad. The glass half empty  would say:

a 39 year old keeper who hasn't played in years, 2 fullbacks who seem injury prone, an ageing centre back who couldn't get a game in the championship, a marquee who looked NPL standard last year, a winger who won't pass and another one recovering from an ACL and a striker who's never scored regularly at any of his clubs.

On top of that we have a youth player, Melling, who has been more injured than fit and a back up striker who is known to be inconsistent and erratic with regular fitness/weight issues.

doesn't sound so good now does it?

i hope it works out closer to your version, but I doubt everything will work out as perfectly as you hypothesise. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, we haven't even played a League match yet.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Need to sign another quality winger and striker for depth before I'd call our squad perfect. Don't have to be world beaters, just very solid bench players like Sydney and Victory had last season in Thompson, Smeltz etc. 

Shame we blew a VISA spot on Sorenson. 

I don't think we need the winger, but definitely the striker and our midfield stocks look dangerously thin right now (to me at least).

i do think it's a good squad, just thought Tesla was being way too rose  coloured in his assessment.

it is also my considered view that JVS is punting our season on the form of Robi Koren, as we are yet to take out any insurance against another bad year from him.

As stupid as this sounds, I can't wait for next season. We will have a solid foundation to build on, and with Koren, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Williams and Brown gone we can bring in some great players. Especially the international marquee spot. This season will be at best a top 3 finish, but next season with those five players gone and five quality players brought in, we will be big title contenders. 

• Like 1

As stupid as this sounds, I can't wait for next season. We will have a solid foundation to build on, and with Koren, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Williams and Brown gone we can bring in some great players. Especially the international marquee spot. This season will be at best a top 3 finish, but next season with those five players gone and five quality players brought in, we will be big title contenders. 

Not stupid at all. I don't have any doubts whatsoever that this year's squad is better than last year. We have been able to move a number of players on, in addition to those who we released at the end of their contracts. But there are always legacy contracts to deal with, and we will do that at the end of 2015-16 as you suggest. Koren will require a stellar season to be retained, but the other four you mention I'd say are certainties to go. In addition I'd say that both Mauk and Marino need to deliver this season or they may also be on their way.

We have a tough start to the season with matches away to Sydney and Victory, but we ought to be able to secure a top-4 finish this season and with a home semi-final anything is possible from then on.

The key after this season will be re-signing and holding onto our better players. For example Zullo who I think will have a huge season is coming out of contract. Also if Franjic has a big year, fending off overseas clubs who are interested etc...

I still think we'll make top 3 and are already title contenders this season, but if we can keep our best for the following season and add even more quality (and a big marquee) then I'm confident we'll dominate the league and do well in the ACL

Thing is though, as good as this squad looks, if Mooy gets a bad injury you can essentially write off this season.

I think that's a bit over-dramatic. If you posted this 1 year ago you'd been swimming in green lines.

Mooy will still be a key player, but there should be a lot less reliance on him alone to win games this season. Edgeworth game I hope was just an exception.

Honestly looking a true squads its between us, victory and Sydney by a length. Largely because a large portion of the squads have gone dramatically backwards the last few seasons.

Expect Wsw to come back up towards mid table.

i expect

MV, MC, SFC, AU, WSW, WP, PG, BR, CCM, NJ. 

Expect there to be a big points distance between (1-4)-(5-6)-(7-10)

Our squad is far and away the biggest improver in the league. MV are settled and need to be chased down, Sydney look slightly weaker but still strong and AU probably on a par with last season but without Gombau but I still don't see their style of football to be consistent enough to win the A-league.

We came from cellar dwellers a couple of years ago to almost making the final.

The club always said it was going to be a development year last year, so we probably exceeded expectations of the owners despite the doomsayers on here.

I can see a very bright year ahead of us and we will be up there in the top three.

We came from cellar dwellers a couple of years ago to almost making the final.

The club always said it was going to be a development year last year, so we probably exceeded expectations of the owners despite the doomsayers on here.

I can see a very bright year ahead of us and we will be up there in the top three.

We finished 5th after the regular season in a 10-team league (after Perth's salary cap breach penalty) because we were less crap than the teams below us. We won one final against a fading team. We were only one game away from the final because of a shit finals system.

Make no mistake. We were still shit. And not the funny kinda shit that sees Simon Colosimo perform a cross-over that Tim Hardaway would be proud of. Just plain old boring shit that makes you want to rip your eyeballs out and question why you decided to waste a nice Sunday afternoon watching such shit. And the owners will be very aware of how painfully boringly shit we were.

Having said that, hopefully last Wednesday night is a sign of things to come.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 5

Honestly looking a true squads its between us, victory and Sydney by a length. Largely because a large portion of the squads have gone dramatically backwards the last few seasons.

Expect Wsw to come back up towards mid table.

i expect

MV, MC, SFC, AU, WSW, WP, PG, BR, CCM, NJ. 

Expect there to be a big points distance between (1-4)-(5-6)-(7-10)

Our squad is far and away the biggest improver in the league. MV are settled and need to be chased down, Sydney look slightly weaker but still strong and AU probably on a par with last season but without Gombau but I still don't see their style of football to be consistent enough to win the A-league.

I always say this whether it be to friends family etc talking about any sport especially soccer, a team will never win with basicallu the same squad, ie victory.. happening to Chelsea now and will happen to Victory, for them, if they dont sign people, highest finish 3-4. 

We finished 5th after the regular season in a 10-team league (after Perth's salary cap breach penalty) because we were less crap than the teams below us. We won one final against a fading team. We were only one game away from the final because of a shit finals system.

Make no mistake. We were still shit. And not the funny kinda shit that sees Simon Colosimo perform a cross-over that Tim Hardaway would be proud of. Just plain old boring shit that makes you want to rip your eyeballs out and question why you decided to waste a nice Sunday afternoon watching such shit. And the owners will be very aware of how painfully boringly shit we were.

Having said that, hopefully last Wednesday night is a sign of things to come.

You could argue that MV came first because they were less shit than everyone else; Chelsea won the EPL because they were less shit than anyone else, etc. The A-League is the A-League and that is that.

You could argue that MV came first because they were less shit than everyone else; Chelsea won the EPL because they were less shit than anyone else, etc. The A-League is the A-League and that is that.

No, because there was a fairly obvious gap in quality between the top 4 (or 5 teams if you include Perth) and the rest of the competition. The table at the end of the regular season showed that. There were 7 points separating 1st place and 5th (including Perth), and another 11 points from them to us.

That's 18 points or 6 wins between the top team and us, in a 27 game season.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 1

The past four seasons have been of 27 matches. The Premiers have had 51, 57, 52 and 53 points in those four seasons, while Heart/City had 37, 27, 26 and 35. That's the gap we have to make up to be Premiers. We were simply not good or consistent enough last season - 2 points from the first four matches, and 2 from the last four virtually ensures that you won't win anything.

No, because there was a fairly obvious gap in quality between the top 4 (or 5 teams if you include Perth) and the rest of the competition. The table at the end of the regular season showed that. There were 7 points separating 1st place and 5th (including Perth), and another 11 points from them to us.

That's 18 points or 6 wins between the top team and us, in a 27 game season.

but if there was such an obvious gap in quality how did we beat the team that came 4th all the way over in Wellington.

Seriously, life is so much more enjoyable when your not a negative cunt.

Que Sera my friend.

but if there was such an obvious gap in quality how did we beat the team that came 4th all the way over in Wellington.

Que Sera my friend.

It's not being negative, it's called being realistic and not delusional! 

Like i said, Wellington were fading. They had a shocking end to last season, and were totally out of form. We also beat victory once during the season, but they were clearly much better than us.

Anyone can beat anyone else on any given day.

Edited by Pete Heartspur
  • Like 2

but if there was such an obvious gap in quality how did we beat the team that came 4th all the way over in Wellington.

Que Sera my friend.

Now we're getting life lessons from a car.

This forum....

I always say this whether it be to friends family etc talking about any sport especially soccer, a team will never win with basicallu the same squad, ie victory.. happening to Chelsea now and will happen to Victory, for them, if they dont sign people, highest finish 3-4. 

when roar were raping the league they rarely Changed their squad. They were just able to hang onto star players

Edited by Tonyboozeadams
  • Like 1