Melbourne Football

2015 vs 2014 squad comparison

Shahanga

As I mentioned in the Mate thread, this thread is an opportunity to compare the new vs old squads.

my offering:

Out: redmayne In: Sorrenson 

not confirmed but very likely. A big positive change, then again I reckon Redmayne is Heart's worst ever signing so perhaps I'm biased.

Out: Weilart in: Hughes

a positive change. For better or worse nice guy Robbie was well past it by the end. Hughes is still an International and should bring a lot more than Robbie.

out: Ramsay in: zullo.

a massive step forward. A clueless left back replaced by a gun.

out: Hoffman In: Franjic.

a hard working journeyman replaced by Australia's No 1. Big step forward.

out: Dugandzic in: Gameiro.

mate never really recovered from his injury (perhaps a poor attitude didn't help)& he has been replaced by Australia's brightest new talent. Big positive.

out: Duff In: Novillo. For me a clear step down. The one time best winger in the EPL replaced by a player who needs to remember he's part of a team.

out: Villa in: the tuna.

A strange one. It should be clearly a step down, but the thumb printed Villa rocked up unfit and left almost immediately to be eventually replaced by a never fit Kennedy. Tuna is pretty much completely unknown. I'm calling this a straight swap.

Now the strange ones:

out: murdocca in: Kuzi. 

So if we didn't need another midfielder why did Mass play so many games? Kuzi might have talent but it's very early days. 

Step back.

Out Germano In: Clisby. This should be a step down but the versatile Germano has had so much trouble getting on the field that replacing him with the workman like but durable Clisby seems fair.

in: Dekker out: N/a. 

Dekker gets his chance but if we're relying on him we're in trouble. neutral.

So all in all I see that the squad has improved substantially.  Top 4 seems a real possibility, though for mine lack of depth in midfield and the absence of a proven goal scorer are the big challenges that will need to be overcome if we are to threaten the dunny seat.

Kuzmanovski is a winger/forward not a CM like Murdocca so a poor comparison, but everything else is pretty right.

of course. That was my point. there's no getting away from the fact we've dropped a midfielder and brought a winger in instead.  That's why I mentioned it under the heading "strange ones".

Duff was useless, how many goals did he score in the games he was with us? Novillo played less had more goals, attacked defenses and wasn't affraid to shoot. His pace is superior to Duffs also. The only thing really going for duff is that he could whip in a cross but even that wasn't significant enough to make him worth the money he was on. For me duff was a failure I thought we were much better after his season ending injury.

Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 1

Novillo a step down from Duff?

Novillo is quicker, younger, more aggressive and a lot more skillful. Not to mention his youthful arrogance - we need someone as selfish as him. 

Duff was proven but I feel like he struggled fitness-wise. Novillo is pretty much the best winger we've had (imo).

• Like 2

of course. That was my point. there's no getting away from the fact we've dropped a midfielder and brought a winger in instead.  That's why I mentioned it under the heading "strange ones".

Don't forget Mauk was injured for most the season, so he is like an addition in midfield.

Don't think it's fair to say tuna is the replacement for villa since he only played 4 games. Probably better off saying he's a replacement for Kennedy

my rationale is I'm comparing the squad at the season's start with the current squad, otherwise all the injury replacements come into it & who knows what will happen with injury replacements this year.

i knew the Novillo fans would come out in force, but it's my post, so my opinion. Surprised the Germano fans haven't chipped in too.

as to continuing players, yeah Tesla you are right, but the post was long enough already without debating who may be better or worse this year.

But the elephant in the room is JVS. Coaching statistics here compared to others who have coached in the HAL. For those who have coached over 100 games (that's a reasonable time to show what you've got), he is last in terms of points per game PPG.

http://aleaguestats.com/ALeagueStats_9CoachingHistory.html

Arnold, Ange lead the way. Even Kosmina is ahead. Kudos to Merrick who has coached 246 games.

Don't think it's fair to say tuna is the replacement for villa since he only played 4 games. Probably better off saying he's a replacement for Kennedy

Yes, surely a comparison with Villa would be valid only if we take on a new Guest Player? I see Tuna as a direct replacement for Kennedy, and as such he is a major improvement, mainly (without seeing Tuna play yet) because Kennedy was stuffed physically and could barely move around the field - he knew it and so did everyone inside AAMI Park.

On Novillo, I don't see him as the match-winner that some do, but I do see him as a huge improvement on Duff. My opinion on Duff is likely to be unpopular, but I agree with Drew that he was a failure for us and never looked like a player who had come straight out of the EPL.

Overall the assessment of the changes is not bad. But IMO there's still too much deadwood left in the squad, and I'd say several of our players are already lined up for release next May.

Lotta people here overestimating the defensive abilities of Zullo. He's a machine getting forward but probably isn't much better than Clisby defensively.

Hughes vs. Jaliens isn't all that clear cut either. Haven't seen enough of Hughes to judge, at least Jaliens was a known quantity.

• Like 1

Lotta people here overestimating the defensive abilities of Zullo. He's a machine getting forward but probably isn't much better than Clisby defensively.

Hughes vs. Jaliens isn't all that clear cut either. Haven't seen enough of Hughes to judge, at least Jaliens was a known quantity.

Agree. In fact, I can't see why we released Jaliens only to substitute Hughes for him. Unless Jaliens didn't want to stay.

On paper the ins outweigh the outs. I think we can't compare until round 4 or 5. I'm hoping they are better but on paper we needed to add a few more in the out column but we have what we have so I guess we have less obvious holes as we did at round 1 but we still could have some big holes if the new players don't perform as hoped.

My major concern is the injury status of the squad. I think we'll know much more next Wednesday on were we are at.

On paper the ins outweigh the outs. I think we can't compare until round 4 or 5. I'm hoping they are better but on paper we needed to add a few more in the out column but we have what we have so I guess we have less obvious holes as we did at round 1 but we still could have some big holes if the new players don't perform as hoped.

My major concern is the injury status of the squad. I think we'll know much more next Wednesday on were we are at.

Agreed, injuries were a huge issue last season so I really hope they aren't this season. Have to say I'm more hopeful than expectant on that front.

But the elephant in the room is JVS. Coaching statistics here compared to others who have coached in the HAL. For those who have coached over 100 games (that's a reasonable time to show what you've got), he is last in terms of points per game PPG.

http://aleaguestats.com/ALeagueStats_9CoachingHistory.html

Arnold, Ange lead the way. Even Kosmina is ahead. Kudos to Merrick who has coached 246 games.

WOW!! Our two coaches are ranked 24th and 34th! Just look at the esteemed company they're amongst! :facepalm:

24 John van`t SchipMelbourne City FC1043433371351.298
25 Phil MossCentral Coast Mariners54201024701.296
26 Richard MoneyNewcastle Jets279810351.296
27 Branko CulinaNewcastle Jets, Sydney FC903022381121.244
28 David MitchellPerth Glory71241631881.239
29 Ian FergusonNorth Qld Fury, Perth Glory993122461151.162
30 Mehmet DurakovicMelbourne Victory14365151.071
31 Ron SmithPerth Glory4391519420.977
32 Jim MagiltonMelbourne Victory12255110.917
33 Rado VidosicBrisbane Roar14338120.857
34 John AloisiMelbourne Heart FC408725310.775

overall the squad looks much better but until i see use pick up 11+ points from the first 6 games i'll keep myself from getting too drawn in.  seen the club's results turn to shit in the past despite a "good" list going into the season

Duff was useless, how many goals did he score in the games he was with us? Novillo played less had more goals, attacked defenses and wasn't affraid to shoot. His pace is superior to Duffs also. The only thing really going for duff is that he could whip in a cross but even that wasn't significant enough to make him worth the money he was on. For me duff was a failure I thought we were much better after his season ending injury.

IMO thats harsh on Duff.  the team that started last season was shit.  Duff was one of the few who could be excused.  not saying he was perfect, but had to carry a lot of weight on his shoulders without the support around him to work off Duff's strengths.  Duff was never really given a license to stay forward; Novillo was (or choose to support the team less in a defensive sense).

pace wise i agree fully, and always thought the way JVS set Duff up with no real pace around him (Hoffman, Dugandzic, etc dont exactly set the grass ablaze with their pace) set Duff up to fail here.  

the crossing side of things came down to having a lack of targets in the box - not exactly something Duff can control.

with the constant transition (particularly when one of the other spuds lost the ball needlessly), Duff was always gonna be a bit puffed by the end of games and never get consistent opportunities going forward.it was the same for ADP when he was at Sydney.  

IMO the problem with Duffy wasn't what he did, but what he didn't do. The stats tell us he created a few goals, but the problem for me was that even before his injury he just could not last more than 20 minutes or so. And with the squad limits we just cannot afford players like that. Having Germano was already an issue for us, then add Duff and then Kennedy and basically you've already got over 10% of the squad not able to run out a match.

Let's not keep kidding ourselves, you can't win silverware that way.

The squad looks stronger than last year. But IMO we are still short of cutting power up front. Williams, Brown, Dekker, Marino - none of them fit the requirements IMO, so we have four players occupying squad places when what we need(ed) was one decent striker...

When I look at the squad improvements and I consider that we pretty much have some "dead money" tied up in Brown & Williams (both are no longer needed with the current squad), it seems clear to me we must have had some solid $ on some guys who weren't delivering.

I agree with Jw re strikers. We are heavily reliant on a Uruguayan with a pretty poor track record, with back up of a couple of kids and 2 guys who seem to be yesterday's men. 

If koren plays like last year midfield will also be a problem ( though I seem to be a lone voice crying into the wind on that one).

When I look at the squad improvements and I consider that we pretty much have some "dead money" tied up in Brown & Williams (both are no longer needed with the current squad), it seems clear to me we must have had some solid $ on some guys who weren't delivering.

I agree with Jw re strikers. We are heavily reliant on a Uruguayan with a pretty poor track record, with back up of a couple of kids and 2 guys who seem to be yesterday's men. 

If koren plays like last year midfield will also be a problem ( though I seem to be a lone voice crying into the wind on that one).

You are not alone...

• Like 2

I feel with our increased striker stock, Koren will play more in his natural position (and do well), next to Mooy.

I can see Melling starting on the bench a lot of the time when both Mooy & Koren are available and will probably come on for Koren (if he continues to underperform) or for Paartalu if we're down in the second half to add some flare, unpredictability and mongrel into the team.

we also have to keep in mind our squad did get better as the season went on. Some injuries towards the end, but it start as a fairly ordinary squad. 

The started 11 in round 1 was:

Redmayne

Wielaert

Ramsay

Archibald

Kisnorbo (c)

Murdocca

Paartalu

Mooy

Dugandzic

Brown

Duff

That is an unspeakably shit starting 11 and yet we played Sydney off the park.