Melbourne Football

Manchester City vs Melbourne City - Saturday July 18 at CBUS Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Cityscape

This decision makes little sense and I don't want to make an assumption so I'm going to wait to hear what the club has to say regarding their decision to play on the Gold Coast. It's definitely not a marketing ploy for us because they would play the game down here so it must have something to do with Manchester. 

Edited by n i k o

This decision makes little sense and I don't want to make an assumption so I'm going to wait to hear what the club has to say regarding their decision to play on the Gold Coast. It's definitely not a marketing ploy for us because they would play the game down here so it must have something to do with Manchester. 

FFA co-promoting the game with Gold Coast Council to prepare us for the A-League expanding into Gold Coast again in the next expansion phase ;) 

It's because ManC are basing themselves on the Gold Coast prior to their matches in Melbourne.

On this decision...thanks for nothing CFG and Manchester City.

And thanks Melbourne City for not replying to my e-mail of last week on this very subject.

Piss poor treatment of loyal fans.

It's because ManC are basing themselves on the Gold Coast prior to their matches in Melbourne.

Yes, this is all quite predictable really.

Why they're basing themselves at Gold Coast and not at our facility in Melbourne is the real question.

weather.  Temperature. Basically. 

I blame the Victorian government, they decided to bring this so called soccer tournament to Australia, yet it will do more to damage the local product than what it will do to improve it. Fuck me, can't play another game in Melbourne? Should want to be playing as many games as possible in Melbourne during this period. 

• Like 1

As for Manchester City basing themselves on the GC, it's exactly the same as European clubs doing training camps in Spain or the Middle East, or MLS clubs doing the same in Florida. This is all based around weather mainly.

The fact is though that a Melbourne winter is not ideal, but compared to Manchester it can be almost tropical in comparison 😜.

Let's hope they base themselves in Melbourne for the week of the games though and do some decent cross promotion with us.

Edited by Heart_fan
  • Like 2

@MelbourneCity: Our match will be up at @MCFC's base on the Gold Coast due to their contract with @IntChampionsCup not allowing other matches in Melbourne 

This is an example of bad PR. Of course people are going to ask 'why?' so state that in your initial release and you won't get people all annoyed at you.

A perfect example of appalling PR. The contract itself is bad enough - surely a match at AAMI for "members only" would not have been beyond possibility - then to announce the match on the Gold Coast as if it's some big deal just compounds the frustration that we feel. Too hard to send round a f*cking e-mail to all members with an explanation?

These guys don't understand the basics of PR.

• Like 1

Well, at least it puts to bed my theory that it's out of tentativeness that they didn't want a big match-up. In fairness, I did lace my posts with implications that I was probably wrong. I really need to stop making guesses at things.

As for this contractual obligation not to play any further games in Melbourne - it really doesn't surprise me. The people organising these events are, at the best of times, still just businessmen and they don't give a monkey's about the fans of other teams so long as they get their money's worth.

Problem is that UEFA, with their Fair Play mechanics, have made it vital for Manchester City to chase the highest payday they can get from friendlies in order to be able to afford that little bit more in the transfer market. I don't think they had any choice but to agree the terms.

still a piss poor excuse.

In their negotiations with the International Cup - Man City should have stipulated then that they have a brother club in Melbourne, and we demand we can do something with them (even if its members inside only etc). - even get terms to a regional (Geelong) stadium etc.

Sure, once the contract is signed it is signed, but surely there was leverage there before the thing was signed.

I dont give a fuck about the contract, this is Victoria after all, the fucking government doesn't even stick by them.

Seriously though, why would they agree to come to Australia, and enter into a contract that specifically disallows them playing against us? Should have just said no, came played one game here, then go off to somewhere in Asia for the money they'd get from the international flog cup or whatever it's called.

Granted, the FFA deserves some blame for the BS fee they introduced for A-League clubs playing against Euro clubs in these sort of games, probably why the game was behind closed doors in the first place.

Who cares honestly.

Can't believe so many people are getting up in arms about one of these bullshit 'friendlys'.We've all seen the games with victory vs Liverpool, the Hyundai a-league all stars vs Chelsea or whoever the fuck they played. All these games are, are big wank fests that bring out the euro snobs so they can sit there and tell you how much better these overseas teams are which have been around for 100 odd years compared to a team that's been around for not even 10.

I'd be pissed off more personally if we had an FFA game moved or a regular season game moved. These games do nothing for the a-league or football in Australia.

• Like 6