Melbourne Football

Huge Aliens

charlibub

What do we do with Huge Aliens? Keep for 15/16 or part ways?

He has been solid down back compared with Weillart & Hoffman. If we had to keep 1 of the 3 Huge Aliens would be my choice.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I would keep him for one further season, because he's versatile across the back line. Maybe slowing down, but he reads the play very well to make up for that.

Downside is that he occupies a visa place. Also that Hoffman has a contract for next season.

Probably depends on who else we have in mind to strengthen the squad and whether we can keep his wages down to fit him in.

He has been solid down back compared with Weillart & Hoffman. If we had to keep 1 of the 3 Huge Aliens would be my choice.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I would keep him for one further season, because he's versatile across the back line. Maybe slowing down, but he reads the play very well to make up for that.

Downside is that he occupies a visa place. Also that Hoffman has a contract for next season.

Probably depends on who else we have in mind to strengthen the squad and whether we can keep his wages down to fit him in.

How confident are you he will stay fit jw?

That's probably the key (or perhaps will be the club's cue?).  

I agree with most things you say JW, but not with keeping Jaliens next season. Yes he has been solid and was handy when we had injuries and suspensions but I would not waste a visa spot on him. We only get 5 and in order to be a good side they should be 5 of your best players and automatic starters. I prefer the CB combination of Kisnorbo and Chapman, and think he is too slow to be a fullback. His age is a massive factor as well.

IMO we should get rid of a lot of players this off season. Ideally the only ones i'd keep would be:

GK: Velaphi

Defenders: Kisnorbo, Chapman, Clisby

Midfielders: Paartalu, Mooy, Germano, Melling, Mauk

Forwards: Novillo, Kennedy, Garrucio, Williams?

Then chase Maclaren, Franjic pretty hard 

How confident are you he will stay fit jw?

That's probably the key (or perhaps will be the club's cue?).  

I can't really answer your question there. IIRC Bela has said that older players are not more likely to be injured, just that they take longer to recover. Wielaert was going well until his injury occurred; now look what's happened.

IMO Jaliens is in the same category as Germano. And even Novillo. Keeping them really depends on what alternatives we have in mind. Of course we ought to be able to do better with our scouting network. Let's hope so.

We've already got some deadwood carrying over to next season. We need to make our new signings really count.

I'm going to put it out there, but I think Jaliens should replace Chapman in this game. Our best run of form and meanest streak in goals shipped this year coincided with the Kisnorbo-Jaliens CB pairing. This is a game that requires experience under enormous pressure and cunning. Chapman to me has failed especially in the Perth and Adelaide games recently and I just think the occasion as well as the opposition warrants consideration. I'd keep Germano back and let Retre keep his spot. I think cockups and brain fades are more of a risk than lack of speed.

I'm normally pro youth but this is a big game under the spotlight. Will be interested in your comments Tesla.

• Like 2

I'm going to put it out there, but I think Jaliens should replace Chapman in this game. Our best run of form and meanest streak in goals shipped this year coincided with the Kisnorbo-Jaliens CB pairing. This is a game that requires experience under enormous pressure and cunning. Chapman to me has failed especially in the Perth and Adelaide games recently and I just think the occasion as well as the opposition warrants consideration. I'd keep Germano back and let Retre keep his spot. I think cockups and brain fades are more of a risk than lack of speed.

I'm normally pro youth but this is a big game under the spotlight. Will be interested in your comments Tesla.

have thought of this as well. Either way i think Jaliens needs to be starting whether it's at centre back or right back. 

I think you're spot on. I'm of the opinion that we should be playing Jaliens and Kisnorbo as our starting CBs every game they're available, given what we saw with the run of form you mention.Lack of pace can be managed via the tactics. I think the better attackers in this league have exposed Chapman at times, whether it's via skill, or more often via cunning. FBK and Berisha are up there with Janko as the most cunning attackers in the league.

I also can't find any reason to change the fullbacks. Germano crossing from fullback is extremely important to our chances. In regard to Retre, I was very critical of him initially, but on occasion JVS' obsession with playing players out of position works out, and it certainly has in Retre's case.

On the other hand, I can also see the benefit of having Jaliens at RB, likely facing off against FBK, and it wouldn't surprise me if Retre really gets exposed against FBK. But I feel we do need fullbacks that can attack which Jaliens doesn't provide so I'd take the risk on Retre.

IMO FBK is the real key to Victory's attack (as well as obviously the creativity coming from Finkler), not Berisha, so it will be interesting to see how he is handled. Victory also have dangerous attacking fullbacks, make or break game for Retre if he plays.

• Like 2

IMO Retre has stood up when it's counted. If van 't Schip stays my guess is another year for Retre.

I rate Jaliens as our best-ever injury replacement. Shame that his age and visa player status are likely to count against him.

If there was a race between FBK and KJ who would win? I think that FBK is faster so KJ will need all his nous to win. Retre on the other hand will match him for speed but unlikely to match him for cunning. One option of course would be to have Germano switch to the RB and go with FBK where I think both would match for speed and cunning but then that leaves the left side exposed as we don't have anyone. I don't know whether Clisby will be available.

Hard call.

I think you're spot on. I'm of the opinion that we should be playing Jaliens and Kisnorbo as our starting CBs every game they're available, given what we saw with the run of form you mention.Lack of pace can be managed via the tactics. I think the better attackers in this league have exposed Chapman at times, whether it's via skill, or more often via cunning. FBK and Berisha are up there with Janko as the most cunning attackers in the league.

I also can't find any reason to change the fullbacks. Germano crossing from fullback is extremely important to our chances. In regard to Retre, I was very critical of him initially, but on occasion JVS' obsession with playing players out of position works out, and it certainly has in Retre's case.

On the other hand, I can also see the benefit of having Jaliens at RB, likely facing off against FBK, and it wouldn't surprise me if Retre really gets exposed against FBK. But I feel we do need fullbacks that can attack which Jaliens doesn't provide so I'd take the risk on Retre.

IMO FBK is the real key to Victory's attack (as well as obviously the creativity coming from Finkler), not Berisha, so it will be interesting to see how he is handled. Victory also have dangerous attacking fullbacks, make or break game for Retre if he plays.

Yeah but Jaliens was ordinary when we played him as a fullback, don't think he transfers across the back line well.

• Like 1

I'll give some counter-argument and say that although he's got some fire and aggression, Chapman has been pretty effective for City over most of the season, with Chapman's first 5 games for City comprising an undefeated streak of 4 wins and a 1 draw (and JVS got pilloried for resting Chapman in a 0-2 loss to CCM).

IMO Chapman has wisdom beyond his years, and is a pretty smart defender who often cuts out passes because he reads the game well. Moreover this is Chapman's 4th season in the A-League, so he is actually pretty experienced with A-League football.

I'd also cite precedent, with Chapman having an excellent game in City's 1-0 derby win earlier in the season, with Berisha in particular being contained at least as much by Chapman as by Kisnorbo. FWIW the only defensive weaknesses that game were the fullbacks Hoffman and Garuccio, who Khalfallah gave a torrid time.

Another thing is that experienced players aren't perfect and can sometimes backfire. Let's not forget that Jaliens himself is coming back from suspension after getting a really stupid red card against Adelaide. Also Kisnorbo had a poor game in the last derby. And I'd contend that Wellington in part lost the final yesterday because Merrick (as he himself said pre-game) focused on selecting an experienced side, which to their detriment IMO resulted in unwisely selecting the experienced Vince Lia over the dangerous Roy Krishna.

Which defence would I pick for Friday's match? It's a really tough selection headache, and I haven't quite decided yet. There could possibly be multiple possible back fours that would play very well, and would help City get the desired result IMO. ATM I'm leaning towards keeping the back four as it is--why fix what's not broken?-- although I'm a bit 50/50 about starting either Retre or Jaliens at RB (both have really impressed me, however I'd maybe slightly prefer Jaliens over Retre).

Edited by Murfy1

With Barbarouses and Kefala on the wings we need speed with our outside backs. Retre is a definite starter at RB. I'd be more concerned with LB Germano and his lack of speed...we don't have any options there. Aliens can't play LB can he?

Kisnorbo and Chapman as CB won't change. Aliens on the bench unless Retre shifts to LB which I don't think is gonna happen. Thank fuck Hoffman isn't mentioned in any of the above scenarios.

I'd leave Jaliens on the bench, he was continually caught way too high up the park against Adelaide and struggled to get back whenever we lost possession. Would rather Retre out there and if the need arises Jaliens can come off the bench.

To counter Murf re Chapman:

1. His first games were a long time ago and people have had plenty of time to work him out.

2. He's been skinned multiple times over the last three weeks - even on the weekend against Wellington.

I just think he's out of form. Simple as that.

Edited by Defibrillator

To counter Murf re Chapman:

1. His first games were a long time ago and people have had plenty of time to work him out.

2. He's been skinned multiple times over the last three weeks - even on the weekend against Wellington.

I just think he's out of form. Simple as that.

Also glandular fever sticks around for a long time. He will benefit from a good rest.

• Like 1

I think most of you above are spot on with Chapman.

Young lad, glandular fever, injuries, brain fades, end of an extended season...

I think he just needs to be put out for a spell.

Will come back stronger and better for it.

• Like 1

With Barbarouses and Kefala on the wings we need speed with our outside backs. Retre is a definite starter at RB. I'd be more concerned with LB Germano and his lack of speed...we don't have any options there. Aliens can't play LB can he?

Kisnorbo and Chapman as CB won't change. Aliens on the bench unless Retre shifts to LB which I don't think is gonna happen. Thank fuck Hoffman isn't mentioned in any of the above scenarios.

What Retre do you watch he looks slow as all hell to me? Obviously Jalien's is no spring chicken but I'd personally take Jaliens better reading of the game. Although I didn't see the adelaide game. Edited by perthheart

What Retre do you watch he looks slow as all hell to me? Obviously Jalien's is no spring chicken but I'd personally take Jaliens better reading of the game. Although I didn't see the adelaide game.

Told you so. Kalfallah ran rings around him and set up the first goal without any Aliens in sight. Was also beaten by Berisha for the header that cost us the 3rd. Too slow. Bye bye...