Melbourne Football

Open training session

Jovan

With Melbourne City FC set to play in the Hyundai A-League finals series, the Club is giving its members and fans the opportunity to attend an open training session at the City Football Academy, Melbourne, tomorrow.

The open training session will allow fans and members to farewell the Melbourne City FC first-team players before they embark on an away trip to play in the first round of the finals. 

Melbourne City FC will face Wellington Phoenix this Sunday 3 May at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, kick-off 5:00pm (AEST) 7:00pm (Wellington - Local)

As a result, Melbourne City is conducting an open training session for those fans who are unable to travel and support the team in New Zealand.

Open Training Session Details

Tuesday, 28 April 2015

City Football Academy, Melbourne

Address: 2 Crissane Rd, Bundoora

Training commences: 10am

Training concludes: Approx 11.30am

Parking: Available on street parking only

We hope to see you there!

Who had that box of tomatoes?

• Like 2

It would be good for the players hear that the fans expect more, even if the franchise management and coach don't

TBH Bela, I'm yet to be convinced that anyone at Bundoora cares a jot about what we think. If they did I think they would be asking us some serious questions by some personal contact rather than hiding behind generic FFA surveys, and actually giving us some personal feedback.

Maybe I'm just a bit disillusioned after another mediocre season and the usual fade-out at the end, but my impression is that management has decided that they know best about how to run things and that we can take it or leave it.

• Like 2

I hope NOT 1 person shows up to watch them.

Why would any one want to go to see those show ponies

Because through good and bad you stand by the club........no matter how much the team has let the fans down, you still do whats right and go and support them.

If I can Im going to try and find out the info on when they are departing and/or when they are coming back (flight times and landing times) if they get past Wellington to see if we can give them a home coming greeting with several Melburnians if that is the case.

#StandByCity (Next Minute you get a hashtag that says #ElieStandsByMedioocrity.....which isnt what my post is about in the first place :/)

• Like 4

Because through good and bad you stand by the club........no matter how much the team has let the fans down, you still do whats right and go and support them.

If I can Im going to try and find out the info on when they are departing and/or when they are coming back (flight times and landing times) if they get past Wellington to see if we can give them a home coming greeting with several Melburnians if that is the case.

#StandByCity (Next Minute you get a hashtag that says #ElieStandsByMedioocrity.....which isnt what my post is about in the first place :/)

This illustrates the dilemma, do we support the goals of the fans, success for the team on the field, or do we support the players regardless of their performance? We actually aren't supporting the club as there isn't a club, its a franchise and our relationship is a provider/consumer relationship. We have no say in the running of the franchise, our only power as consumers to purchase product, boycott product or give praise or criticism (not attack). 10,000 customers have already provided feedback by not attending after the first home game and around 2000 to 3000 season ticket holders regularly missed home games after the Asian Cup break. How would you suggest that we encourage players and the football department to improve whilst also expressing our disappointment at their inconsistent performances?

I hate this "stand by the club no matter what" ideal so much.

If the players actually looked like they gave a fuck each week, then perhaps the supporters would too. We're the key stakeholders in this club, and I think it is acceptable to criticise, express our thoughts and expect better of the players and club as a whole.

I think we can beat Wellington, but there's no way I'd bemoan anyone on here for not showing 100% commitment to the cause right now.

• Like 1

If the players actually looked like they gave a fuck each week, then perhaps the supporters would too. We're the key stakeholders in this club, and I think it is acceptable to criticise, express our thoughts and expect better of the players and club as a whole.

I think we can beat Wellington, but there's no way I'd bemoan anyone on here for not showing 100% commitment to the cause right now.

So you would deem it acceptable if you were working in a shop/workplace and a customer came in and called you a "retard" or "c**t, or a "spastic" or have personal vendettas against one or the other players we have seen from some of the immature pseudo-anarchist brethren amongst us?

How do you know that the players don't care and also feel frustrated with what orders they have been given by JVS?

Clearly we have lots of talent in our team that has been degraded by playing under JVS. Players have been more than successful, before they came to City but it hasn't translated into as much success on the field as anyone would have hoped.

However its my opinion and you have a right to yours. However, I draw the line at personal, derogatory attacks on anyone.

Seriously some of the people here expect that they have a right to vilify on the basis of being a paying $20 "customer" thinking that they have the right to carry on like they do.

Vote with your feet, don't come to the games. These people won't be missed. But there are still people who can look and plead for improvement but do it in a constructive manner.

• Like 1

So you would deem it acceptable if you were working in a shop/workplace and a customer came in and called you a "retard" or "c**t, or a "spastic" or have personal vendettas against one or the other players we have seen from some of the immature pseudo-anarchist brethren amongst us?

How do you know that the players don't care and also feel frustrated with what orders they have been given by JVS?

Clearly we have lots of talent in our team that has been degraded by playing under JVS. Players have been more than successful, before they came to City but it hasn't translated into as much success on the field as anyone would have hoped.

However its my opinion and you have a right to yours. However, I draw the line at personal, derogatory attacks on anyone.

Seriously some of the people here expect that they have a right to vilify on the basis of being a paying $20 "customer" thinking that they have the right to carry on like they do.

Vote with your feet, don't come to the games. These people won't be missed. But there are still people who can look and plead for improvement but do it in a constructive manner.

There is a difference between criticism and personal attack. Football is a game of opinions and we have a duty to be critical, I agree that unconstructive attacks are unhelpful in achieving the goal that we all want for the team

• Like 1

Interesting comment about the on-field bust up featuring David Williams

With an elimination final against Wellington Phoenix looming, Paartalu said back-to-back 3-1 and 4-1 losses to Perth Glory and Adelaide United respectively had City's players motivated to make amends.

The Hyundai A-League Finals Series is on SBS ONE, SBS HD and online in May. Don't miss it!

"We haven't really reflected too much, the last two weeks have been pretty pathetic in terms of results and performance," he said.

It seemed City's frustrations came out on the training field. There were hearty tackles, plenty of sweat, celebrations with each goal and even remonstrations - including one bust-up between David Williams and a City coach.

"A few boys falling out with each other and they're getting stuck in the first session back," Paartalu said. "It's a good sign after a pretty tough couple of weeks."

Paartalu would know what's needed, having tasted Championship Glory at Brisbane Roar, with City team-mate Massimo Murdocca. The pair played in both the 2011 and 2012 grand final wins.

He said the experience in City's squad, including captain Patrick Kisnorbo and striker Josh Kennedy, would be of crucial significance in guiding the entire squad through whatever was left of their season.

"The finals series is about being cool, calm and collected," Paartalu said. "We're away from home and we're up against it.

"You want it to be difficult, you want it to be tough and that's the challenge.

"We've got a chance while we're in it. Everyone wants to play Melbourne Victory in the next game," he said.

"Our club would love to have that and the city of Melbourne would love to have that.

"But we're not getting too carried away with ourselves."

Edited by belaguttman

lol, where did I mention anything about personal attacks? I don't condone that behaviour either but it's irrelevant in this context.

The only thing I was referring to was the players' work ethic and frankly I think I have a point given the weekly matchday evidence bar a few players. 

Interesting comment about the on-field bust up featuring David Williams

With an elimination final against Wellington Phoenix looming, Paartalu said back-to-back 3-1 and 4-1 losses to Perth Glory and Adelaide United respectively had City's players motivated to make amends.

The Hyundai A-League Finals Series is on SBS ONE, SBS HD and online in May. Don't miss it!

"We haven't really reflected too much, the last two weeks have been pretty pathetic in terms of results and performance," he said.

It seemed City's frustrations came out on the training field. There were hearty tackles, plenty of sweat, celebrations with each goal and even remonstrations - including one bust-up between David Williams and a City coach.

"A few boys falling out with each other and they're getting stuck in the first session back," Paartalu said. "It's a good sign after a pretty tough couple of weeks."

Paartalu would know what's needed, having tasted Championship Glory at Brisbane Roar, with City team-mate Massimo Murdocca. The pair played in both the 2011 and 2012 grand final wins.

He said the experience in City's squad, including captain Patrick Kisnorbo and striker Josh Kennedy, would be of crucial significance in guiding the entire squad through whatever was left of their season.

"The finals series is about being cool, calm and collected," Paartalu said. "We're away from home and we're up against it.

"You want it to be difficult, you want it to be tough and that's the challenge.

"We've got a chance while we're in it. Everyone wants to play Melbourne Victory in the next game," he said.

"Our club would love to have that and the city of Melbourne would love to have that.

"But we're not getting too carried away with ourselves."

Could just imagine how that argument would went

David Williams: I'm telling you coach, you score more points if you kick the ball over the bar!

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Open fucking training session on a Tuesday morning 10am, school day, work day get fucked for organising it on this day. What the fuck are they thinking? They obviously didnt want anyone to attend.

TBH, they didn't have much choice did they? There are no floodlights out there, so to have evening training, or even starting at 4.00 p.m. would have meant AAMI Park and that would be ridiculously expensive for the handful of people who would be likely to attend.

No, don't think on this occasion you can complain.

• Like 2

Connor Chapman was yelling at a few players because they weren't transitioning into defence quick enough, as the small sided game was focused around the way the Wellington forwards cut in, and making sure they had the right shape to deal with it. Mooy is just a step above the rest too.