Melbourne Football

Round 26: City V The Cheats Sunday 5pm (local)

Dylan

Guys settle really... It meant nothing and that's the way we played it :)

In all seriousness though, McLaren was the only player to really lift his game , whilst Vukovic kept them in the match in the first half.

We do need to learn to score though, but overall I am not fussed. Keeping players fit was more important than winning, which will hopefully see us ready for the business end of the season.

Another sip of the kool aid

A meaningless game for us in terms of ladder position, very important game for stating our finals form intentions. We sent a weakened team but an adequate team to a ground that we have always struggled at, and against a team playing style we have always struggled with - we play much better against ball playing teams. The game of course followed our usual script with the inevitable conclusion

Positives

We played positive possession football for the first half of the game

We were still competitive with 10 players in the second half but of course when we went behind had to chase the ball.

Mooy, again

Negatives

Where to start! Usual terrible finishing, the longer it goes the more inevitable the result becomes

Refereeing

Koren - who?

Hearing that the visitors are chasing Mclaren

I do think that we missed Kennedy as an attacking focus

Next week's game is most important as we are likely to be playing Adelaide the following week in the finals

Edited by belaguttman

In all seriousness though, McLaren was the only player to really lift his game , whilst Vukovic kept them in the match in the first half.

We do need to learn to score though, but overall I am not fussed. Keeping players fit was more important than winning, which will hopefully see us ready for the business end of the season.

Another sip of the kool aid Haha.. Nah just didn't see the point in trying to worry about this game.

The games that really count for us now are in 2 weeks time. This was dissapointing, but what was in it for us? Nothing.

Edited by Heart_fan

It's more than that. If we have another end-of-season wimp-out like every other season so far, it sends completely the wrong message to all our long-suffering supporters. Many will make up their minds on whether to keep on supporting the club based on how we finish the season. So many false promises have been made that many will make that decision without waiting to see who we re-sign and sign for next season. They will simply shrug their shoulders and say "New squad, same old shit from City."

No-one at Melbourne City seems to understand that every match is important, regardless of ladder position or finals participation.

Sometimes I get so angry with our continued mediocrity and seeming acceptance of it that I wish I'd never started to support this club in the first place.

Actually the only laugh was hearing that clown Aloisi say with a straight face that Williams miss was inexcusable - I was expecting him to say 'I'm not concerned, they created plenty of chances'

I think JA lives in some parallel universe.

He took every line out of the coaching excuses 101 manual, yet now he tried to sound like he has a clue. Good try.

Lousy viewing for Melbourne City supporters. And the match felt all too much like an old Melbourne Heart match. Not at all the sort of product that'll get more people to support the club.

As I said pre-game, the match was going to be a good test to see what the team's attacking players (like Williams and Novillo) can offer. The results though were very disappointing. City 20 shots (11 on target), Perth 13 shots (5 on target): FT Perth 3 City 1. The main area for recruitment for next season is clear: get the team some (reliable) goal-scorers. It's simply not good enough for a midfielder, Aaron Mooy, to be the club's top goal-scorer with 6, whilst the next best goal-scorers over the past 26 games are: Paartalu 3 (another midfielder), Koren 3 (another midfielder) and Williams 3 (only 2 goal though from open play all season).

It could be argued that people needn't get too worked up about this match, as the match was a dead rubber, and the team won't normally have very poor referring requiring the team to play 10v11 for half of the match. And Velaphi's been solid this season, with 8 cleansheets across 16 games, so I'd say the howler that resulted in Perth's pivotal second goal is more of an anomaly rather than something we'll see regularly (Velaphi is not Redmayne). 

The next match is much more important. Melbourne City have officially finished 5th this season, and Adelaide will very likely finish 4th. So the last match of the season will likely be a dress rehearsal for the 1st round of the finals, where City look set to play Adelaide in Adelaide. A good performance and result in this match would be worth a lot, so this will be a match that truly matters (if City can replicate our last game against Adelaide, a 3-1 win, that would be huge). 

This was a truly forgettable match, and now the team has to sort itself out for next week's match v Adelaide, where bad outcomes would be very costly, and a good result would be very valuable.

Whatever way you look at it, you can't escape the stench of shitness this team/club carries. Whenever we need to win, should win we play like complete shitkickers. 

I try to prevent myself from getting upset but these pricks are going to kill me. 

Over it. 

Apathy is my only recourse.

• Like 2

Whatever way you look at it, you can't escape the stench of shitness this team/club carries. Whenever we need to win, should win we play like complete shitkickers. 

I try to prevent myself from getting upset but these pricks are going to kill me. 

Over it. 

Ran out of likes but can we all put our signatures to this post and send it to the club

Well if we had taken our chances in the first half we would have been 3 up before they scored.

Then the sending off was absolutely ridiculous. The second tackle was never a booking.

For some people to say this didn't affect the result are talking horse shit!!

What I would say did help affect the result was the pathetic substitution of Clisby by Ramsay. Quite simply no reason to do this and it's idiotic management like this that should mean that JVS is sacked.

We got back in the game, but with players like Koren and Paartalu playing we were always going to suffer late on. Those two players should be got rid of as soon as the season ends.

If we don't go for their keeper and MacLaren at seasons end then it will be a disgrace. They were the main reason why they beat us.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 4

Well if we had taken our chances in the first half we would have been 3 up before they scored.

Then the sending off was absolutely ridiculous. The second tackle was never a booking.

For some people to say this didn't affect the result are talking horse shit!!

What I would say did help affect the result was the pathetic substitution of Clisby by Ramsay. Quite simply no reason to do this and it's idiotic management like this that should mean that JVS is sacked.

We got back in the game, but with players like Koren and Paartalu playing we were always going to suffer late on. Those two players should be got rid of as soon as the season ends.

If we don't go for their keeper and MacLaren at seasons end then it will be a disgrace. They were the main reason why they beat us.

Sadly out of likes.  An excellent summary silva.

In regards to the coach he has been blamed for everything that happened in this game, but in my book at least, most of the decisions he made he really had no choice (Marino & Mauk wouldn't have been fit enough to start & once we only had 10 no way you could bring both Merino & Mork on).  The one you pointed out though is spot on.  Unless Clisby was injured this made no sense either before or after.  Now Koren for Murdocca would have been my HT move.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone said the sending off didn't effect the result, but if you are referring to what I said, I meant that we were playing like dick heads before the red and I'm not confident we would have won even if he had stayed on the pitch.

Was definitely a terrible decision though

Edited by KSK_47

Over it. 

Ran out of likes but can we all put our signatures to this post and send it to the club 100% Happy to sign it

Our performance prior to the first goal was very good. Finishing was the difference between a win and a loss. Simple as that. Even Mooy being our star player missed by a long way right in front of goal ffs.

For me, if your objective is to put a ball into a goal and you keep failing to put said ball into said goal over and over again, then your performance is far from very good. I suppose I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to that type of thing

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 3

I don't think anyone said the sending off didn't effect the result, but if you are referring to what I said, I meant that we were playing like dick heads before the red and I'm not confident we would have won even if he had stayed on the pitch.

We may have been finishing like dickheads. But playing like them? I am sorry I have to disagree

Up to they scored I thought it was one of the best performances of the season so far

• Like 2

We may have been finishing like dickheads. But playing like them? I am sorry I have to disagree

Up to they scored I thought it was one of the best performances of the season so far

As mentioned earlier, if you are missing that often in my eyes you are playing like dick heads

Our performance prior to the first goal was very good. Finishing was the difference between a win and a loss. Simple as that. Even Mooy being our star player missed by a long way right in front of goal ffs.

For me, if your objective is to put a ball into a goal and you keep failing to put said ball into said goal over and over again, then your performance is far from very good. I suppose I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to that type of thing

In the sporting scene performances are separated from the outcome results as a way of looking at aspects of an individual/teams ability to execute different facets of the game well. Eg. Our performance regarding ball possession was very good. We performed well to create a number of huge goal scoring chances. We performed disgracefully in front of goal.

But whatever I'm over it for tonight. JVS OUT.

For me, if your objective is to put a ball into a goal and you keep failing to put said ball into said goal over and over again, then your performance is far from very good. I suppose I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to that type of thing In the sporting scene performances are separated from the outcome results as a way of looking at aspects of an individual/teams ability to execute different facets of the game well. Eg. Our performance regarding ball possession was very good. We performed well to create a number of huge goal scoring chances. We performed disgracefully in front of goal.

But whatever I'm over it for tonight. JVS OUT. True. And if I had not seen this hundreds of times before at this club I would probably be more sympathetic too.

But I have and I'm sick of it. Dickheads. Dickheads. Dickheads.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I agree with Niko. We'll win a lot more than we lose if we play like we did in the first 40 minutes. Of course a team has to put the ball in the back of the net, but you can't plan for that. Aloisi said he wanted the team to put the ball in the back of the net more, but saying something doesn't make it happen. Creating 15 shots, with 8 shots on target, while limiting the opposition to 2 shots on target should be enough for a team to achieve success more often then not. A coach can pretty much only help bring about that situation, but it's up to the players to make the most of it. The coach himself can't kick the ball in the back of the next.

Also when City was in possession 1st half it was some of the most watchable football I've seen from the team all season.

The team needs to produce more: it needs to score more goals and win. But in the 1st half when it was 11v11 the team played pretty well, and if the team played to that standard more often (especially away from AAMI Park) I'm sure Melbourne City would have collected a lot more points this season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

For me, if your objective is to put a ball into a goal and you keep failing to put said ball into said goal over and over again, then your performance is far from very good. I suppose I'm somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to that type of thing In the sporting scene performances are separated from the outcome results as a way of looking at aspects of an individual/teams ability to execute different facets of the game well. Eg. Our performance regarding ball possession was very good. We performed well to create a number of huge goal scoring chances. We performed disgracefully in front of goal.

But whatever I'm over it for tonight. JVS OUT. True. And if I had not seen this hundreds of times before at this club I would probably be more sympathetic too.

But I have and I'm sick of it. Dickheads. Dickheads. Dickheads. That last sentence.

I'm dying over here.

Van 't Schip slams City mindset, desire

A-LEAGUE, MELBOURNE CITY, JOHN VAN 'T SCHIP

Melbourne City coach John van ’t Schip has blasted his players for having a poor mindset in Sunday’s 3-1 loss to Perth Glory at nib Stadium.

City dominated the early part of the match, but could not convert any of the multiple chances they created as Glory goalkeeper Danny Vukovic single-handedly kept his side in the contest.

The match had no impact on City’s final ladder position on the A-League table heading into the final round, but a clearly frustrated Van ’t Schip said that was no excuse for a team about to play finals football.

“If the mindset is not good, even if you get 11 or 12 opportunities, the goal is not going to go in,” Van ’t Schip said.

“We have to change our mindset because this was not play-offs worthy if you approach a game like this. That’s something we will talk about with the players.

“In football and in life, if you don’t get the details right things are not going to happen and that was the case today. We didn’t want it bad enough.”

City’s cause was not helped by the bizarre brain implosion from Paulo Retre, who collected two yellow cards in the space of a minute just before half-time.

Down to 10 men for the second half, City appeared to wilt in the Perth heat as Glory striker Jamie Maclaren netted a maiden A-League hat-trick to lead his side to victory.

Van ’t Schip accused his side of looking “too casual”, particularly after half-time.

“With 10 you know you have to work harder and that looked OK for a short period, but towards the end the pitch was getting stretched, the team was struggling and Perth punished our mistakes,” Van ’t Schip said.

“They would have got tired with 11 as well. It could have been a lot easier if we had put away a few chances [in the first half].

“I think we had enough highlights, especially in the first half, but it’s also making sure you have a finished product and defensively we have to make sure we’re compact.”

City will regain suspended pair Kew Jaliens and Jacob Melling for Saturday’s trip to Coopers Stadium to take on Adelaide United.

Van ’t Schip said changes to his line-up were likely in the wake of Sunday’s loss to Glory, including the return of two injured players.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/van-t-schip-slams-city-mindset-desire#tT2qqlvIixqoFmjl.99

• Like 1

Disagree. First at an individual level this game had meaning - I don't understand why Clisby was replaced by Ramsay but Ramsay had a lot to play for - his career. It is unlikely that he would have been given an extension by City but if he had any hopes of keeping his A-League career alive with another club, he certainly didn't show it today. Koren, no secret that he has not delivered but doesn't he have some pride? something to prove? Novillo is here as an injury replacement but seems to have alluded that he was not progressing at Lyon and he certainly did not show why he should be kept by City or Lyon. Chapman is young and we can forgive some of his errors but being undisciplined means that opposition players will try to get under his skin and today he showed how brittle he can be. Williams will most likely be here next season but he is not earning any credits towards another contract.

JVS has not dispelled doubts about his performance. He certainly did not try to experiment too much. If the team had lost with Marino up forward and Simeoy in defence we could have at least learnt something about their development. Instead we got Ramsay at the back knowing full well his limitations in that position; Murdocca in the middle - nope nothing to learn there; Stefan Mauk was on for about 10 minutes and that was new, disappointing but definitely new.

At a club level, I rather that the team continue to win. Confidence, cohesion, trust and team work are all enhanced when the team wins. Going into an away final is going to be a challenge that is new for the team. Finishing the season without a loss is good but finishing on a winning streak is better.

So the loss does not impact the ladder position but it does impact everywhere else.

• Like 2

I agree.

We actually played a high standard of possession based football for once in the first half.

For all the venting that has gone on about the performance, it seems most have overlooked the parts of the game many have actually called for us to do all along. This was an example of an attacking, possession based style.

We went down to 10 players and lost shape and ran out of ideas / motivation in the 2nd half, which is likely a clear reflection of the position we now find ourselves in (5th on the ladder and can't go up or down based on this or next weeks results).

With 2 weeks to go until finals, we can only hope more of the first half can be achieved, with much more clinical finishing. For the finals though it will likely be a more defensive approach though.

• Like 1