Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This is what I cant understand, capable players like Safuwan and Engelar are let go for talented and healthy players like Hughes and Koren. Go figure...

In regards to Safuwan the only thing I can think is that the Singapore FA wanted a sizeable transfer fee. The guy looked the goods.

certainly if we'd signed him I think he would have played most games due to his versatility & would have started tonight. 

When they let engelaar (well offered him a 50% pay cut) go we all thought it was for a big name, but instead we got a washed up "never was", who wasn't fit to clean Engelaar's boots.Difficult to explain.

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

When they let engelaar (well offered him a 50% pay cut) go we all thought it was for a big name, but instead we got a washed up "never was", who wasn't fit to clean Engelaar's boots.Difficult to explain.

I have it on very good authority (jimmy) that Engelaar's wife wasn't so keen on it here and/or the money he was offered 

13 minutes ago, knutty said:

Just posted something on Instagram about City https://www.instagram.com/p/-VpiBoCVlZ/?taken-by=safuwanbaharudin.

Pretty shitty that he wasn't offered a contract with all our recent injury woes because he probably would've stayed fit and be the type of player to give he's all for the shirt much like bruno.

Well he certainly would have had more of an impact on the field than Hughes has so far. And right now things don't look all that promising for the remainder of the season. Of course off the field he may be working hard at changing attitudes but I certainly have not seen any impact.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well he certainly would have had more of an impact on the field than Hughes has so far. And right now things don't look all that promising for the remainder of the season. Of course off the field he may be working hard at changing attitudes but I certainly have not seen any impact.

Where to begin. He was much more youthful, versatile, passionate, handy for a goal here and there, had some pace and at a fraction of the cost compared to the marvelous Hughes...

• Like 1

On 21/11/2015, 20:46:37, n i k o said:

Why didn't we sign him in the first place. Fucking JVS. 

Me and my mates where a bit shocked that he wasn't offered a contract, I thought he was attacking enough and gave his all for the team to earn at least a spot. He was almost a cult figure to! #bringbacksafuwan

Who would you rather from this photo? Reckon there will an 80% 20% split

Screenshot_2015-11-22-19-39-26.png

Edited by HeartOfCity
Oops forgot the photo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, manandoboy said:

Apparently some fans from Singapore believe that City was unhappy with Safuwan's attitude, to the point of declining any future offer of a Singaporean footballer. No sources, just hearsay. Anybody heard anything like this?

Haven't heard anything like that.

I'd say 2 things prevented Melbourne City from offering Safuwan another contract. 1). Injury, namely a back injury, with a very unclear prognosis "An MRI scan revealed that a disc in his lower back touched a nerve, ruling him out for the foreseeable future" (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/injured-melbourne-city-import-safuwan-baharudin-dreams-of-new-australian-adventure-20150429-1mwaf3.html)  and 2). the club wanted a more experienced central defender, which explains why Melbourne City signed 36 year old Aaron Hughes from England.

The second point is probably the main reason Safuwan wasn't re-signed. And I think there's lots of room to debate whether that's a good argument or not for not re-signing Safuwan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Haven't heard anything like that.

I'd say 2 things prevented Melbourne City from offering Safuwan another contract. 1). Injury, namely a back injury, with a very unclear prognosis "An MRI scan revealed that a disc in his lower back touched a nerve, ruling him out for the foreseeable future" (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/injured-melbourne-city-import-safuwan-baharudin-dreams-of-new-australian-adventure-20150429-1mwaf3.html)  and 2). the club wanted a more experienced central defender, which explains why Melbourne City signed 36 year old Aaron Hughes from England.

The second point is probably the main reason Safuwan wasn't re-signed. And I think there's lots of room to debate whether that's a good argument or not for not re-signing Safuwan.

Count me in favour of re-signing Safuwan as an injury replacement and count me in that signing Hughes was a grave error - I would say a sackable offence right now. And it will take a lot of work for Hughes to change my mind.

When I think of all the bloody old crocks we have persisted with on our books over 5+ seasons our failure to retain Safuwan is one of the most inexplicable decisions that the club has ever made, and it continues to make my blood boil. Sure he has some rough edges, but that's what coaches are there for - to get those out of a good player's game.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When I think of all the bloody old crocks we have persisted with on our books over 5+ seasons our failure to retain Safuwan is one of the most inexplicable decisions that the club has ever made, and it continues to make my blood boil. Sure he has some rough edges, but that's what coaches are there for - to get those out of a good player's game.

Yes some rough edges, but made it on the pitch, scored some goals etc

would have been a handy utility player for us

• Like 1

On 20/11/2015, 22:39:54, thisphantomfortress said:

I have it on very good authority (jimmy) that Engelaar's wife wasn't so keen on it here and/or the money he was offered 

Yep. He was keen to stay but she wasn't having a bar of it.

Learnt this from eaves dropping om a conversation she was having in the players/family corporate box at our last game as heart.

2 minutes ago, manandoboy said:

Safuwan and his teammates are club-less for 2016 because the FA of Malaysia will not be extending the Singaporean club LionsXII's participation in the Malaysia league anymore. The time to act is now, guys! :tooth: 

Interesting given the A-League appears to be in the process of getting rid of Wellington 

1 hour ago, manandoboy said:

Safuwan and his teammates are club-less for 2016 because the FA of Malaysia will not be extending the Singaporean club LionsXII's participation in the Malaysia league anymore. The time to act is now, guys! :tooth: 

There has always been a small core group of people in Oz that believe Singapore should be admitted to the A-League. The logistics may not be difficult to overcome. A couple of questions: Do the Lions XII have a large supporter base? How do they rate on TV? And do they have enough cash to maintain a base in Australia and Singapore?

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

There has always been a small core group of people in Oz that believe Singapore should be admitted to the A-League. The logistics may not be difficult to overcome. A couple of questions: Do the Lions XII have a large supporter base? How do they rate on TV? And do they have enough cash to maintain a base in Australia and Singapore?

They have a larger fanbase than probably 1/3rd of the A-League combined

For your information he has already score 5 goals in 7 Malaysia Cup games so far.

ALL 5 goals comes from headers, playing mostly as a CM.

Currently his team LionsXII are on a brink of elimination after losing 4-1 away to Pahang FA in the Malaysia Cup Quaterfinal first leg.

Second leg will be played in Singapore on Saturday.

His team need to score at least 3-0 to progress as away goals rule apply, otherwise this will be the last game of the season for LionsXII.

12278703_889145317859997_354073274738689

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

10 hours ago, strider said:

They have a larger fanbase than probably 1/3rd of the A-League combined

Hey that's an interesting notion.... But why Singapore though? As far as administration and logistics goes, we have a FA that practically nobody believes in, so I doubt they'll be able to pull off such a thing. And I'm not sure where ur getting those numbers on the fan base lol. It's a strange thing. LionsXII does have a considerable fan base, but this is mainly made up of ppl who are interested in seeing a representative Singapore team have a go at our hated rival Malaysia's teams. Take that away, and I don't think there'll be a similar effect against the likes of Melbourne, Sydney or Perth. 

Besides, we actually have a chance at winning when we play against Malaysian state teams. Big fish small pond mentality. 

2 hours ago, manandoboy said:

Hey that's an interesting notion.... But why Singapore though? As far as administration and logistics goes, we have a FA that practically nobody believes in, so I doubt they'll be able to pull off such a thing. And I'm not sure where ur getting those numbers on the fan base lol. It's a strange thing. LionsXII does have a considerable fan base, but this is mainly made up of ppl who are interested in seeing a representative Singapore team have a go at our hated rival Malaysia's teams. Take that away, and I don't think there'll be a similar effect against the likes of Melbourne, Sydney or Perth. 

Besides, we actually have a chance at winning when we play against Malaysian state teams. Big fish small pond mentality. 

I seem to recall that a long time ago there was a Singaporean representative side in Australian football. Wikipedia tells me that in 1994 two Australian sides played in the Singaporean league. In any case Damien De Bohun, the Head of the A-League has previously canvassed the option of including Singapore in the A-League:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/10/10/a-league-move-into-asia-would-be-a-winwin-for-ffa-and-afc/

Why Singapore? Well according to the FFA CEO, David Gallop, he wants an expanded league but he also wants the teams to be based in cities with greater than 1 million people. At the moment, only the state capitals qualify for that and really what that means is that Sydney and/or Melbourne are going to get another team each . Singapore being a city state with considerable wealth would qualify in this aspect. The next question would be what to do with the TV rights because that is where the financial growth would be. Now Foxtel who have effectively bankrolled the A-League for the last 10 years are on the back foot and one of their complaints with Wellington Phoenix is that they don't rate. A similar scenario could evolve with a Singaporean team but as long as the TV/multimedia broadcast rights are negotiated correctly this should not be a major obstacle to overcome.

So the fact that Singapore is a safe, modern country that has English as one of its primary languages is an attractive preposition as opposed to say Indonesia. Of course rivalry is a great motivator for fans but for instance Perth Glory don't have any great rivalry with any other team. Whereas MV has two kinds of rivalry the likes against Adelaide United (where they came to blows) and against everyone else. So hopefully some decent marketing will overcome the apathy factor. Besides if you can get say an average home attendance of about 10,000 people I think it would be sufficient to get a team rolling.

• Like 1

I think it's true that out of all the nations in SEA, the FAS would be the only one that would actually give this plan a contemplation. Consider this. The FAS is currently desperate and pushing for an ASEAN Super League (ASL), that would involve clubs from SEA nations forming a 12-team competition to be played over an 8 month season. 

While the FAS wants their pet project LionsXII (80% National Team players) to participate in this, Thailand on the other hand, wants to send a relegation-threatened club, Malaysia wants to send a private academy team and Philippines want to send their U23s. This is hardly the "super" league that the FAS had in mind. It goes on to show the difference in priorities that the respective FA's have. 

Other than the things mentioned such as safety, financial stability and English language, in a way, you are right to say that Singapore is a potential candidate for such an expansion because of the FAS's mindset of looking elsewhere to develop football, rather than looking at its own domestic league. 

But this is where I burst the bubble. While there are loads of football fans in Singapore, most of them are European football supporters. Local football fans are few and far between and while most ppl still do look out for local football news, not all of these fans turn up at the stadiums. 

LionsXII plays in a stadium with a capacity of 8000, and the venue is only filled to the brim during crucial games. Otherwise, the club attracts an average attendance of 6200, well below your benchmark of 10k. During the current World Cup/Asian Cup qualifying campaign, the National Team only attracted figures around 6000-7000 for 3 of their home games. Even for the match against Japan, where world stars such as Honda and Kagawa were on display, the figure was 33000, with 40% of that being Japanese expat families. 

Sure, 5000 fans travelled to Kuala Lumpur to watch the club play a cup final. But during their normal away days, LionsXII are usually followed by I dare say 50-ish travelling fans. If so few are willing to take a bus ride up north, how many would regularly fly to another continent? Australian tourism is unlikely to be boosted. 

I'm not so sure about TV rating figures, but like I said, the LionsXII does generate a buzz amongst Singaporeans. It's just that most of these ppl don't actively support at stadiums. 

I really don't mean to shoot this idea down. In fact, it may be a good thing if the FFA can teach the FAS a thing or two about marketing. But for the most part, I just don't think it would work. At the very most, maybe Wellington Phoenix could join the ASL if it launches.

Besides, after so many years of questionable decisions, I would like to see Singapore finally take its own league seriously, rather than participate in someone else's. Our status as a 5 million strong modern and wealthy city state may highlight us as suitable candidates, but I think in this context, that status is misleading. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manandoboy said:

I think it's true that out of all the nations in SEA, the FAS would be the only one that would actually give this plan a contemplation. Consider this. The FAS is currently desperate and pushing for an ASEAN Super League (ASL), that would involve clubs from SEA nations forming a 12-team competition to be played over an 8 month season. 

While the FAS wants their pet project LionsXII (80% National Team players) to participate in this, Thailand on the other hand, wants to send a relegation-threatened club, Malaysia wants to send a private academy team and Philippines want to send their U23s. This is hardly the "super" league that the FAS had in mind. It goes on to show the difference in priorities that the respective FA's have. 

Other than the things mentioned such as safety, financial stability and English language, in a way, you are right to say that Singapore is a potential candidate for such an expansion because of the FAS's mindset of looking elsewhere to develop football, rather than looking at its own domestic league. 

But this is where I burst the bubble. While there are loads of football fans in Singapore, most of them are European football supporters. Local football fans are few and far between and while most ppl still do look out for local football news, not all of these fans turn up at the stadiums. 

LionsXII plays in a stadium with a capacity of 8000, and the venue is only filled to the brim during crucial games. Otherwise, the club attracts an average attendance of 6200, well below your benchmark of 10k. During the current World Cup/Asian Cup qualifying campaign, the National Team only attracted figures around 6000-7000 for 3 of their home games. Even for the match against Japan, where world stars such as Honda and Kagawa were on display, the figure was 33000, with 40% of that being Japanese expat families. 

Sure, 5000 fans travelled to Kuala Lumpur to watch the club play a cup final. But during their normal away days, LionsXII are usually followed by I dare say 50-ish travelling fans. If so few are willing to take a bus ride up north, how many would regularly fly to another continent? Australian tourism is unlikely to be boosted. 

I'm not so sure about TV rating figures, but like I said, the LionsXII does generate a buzz amongst Singaporeans. It's just that most of these ppl don't actively support at stadiums. 

I really don't mean to shoot this idea down. In fact, it may be a good thing if the FFA can teach the FAS a thing or two about marketing. But for the most part, I just don't think it would work. At the very most, maybe Wellington Phoenix could join the ASL if it launches.

Besides, after so many years of questionable decisions, I would like to see Singapore finally take its own league seriously, rather than participate in someone else's. Our status as a 5 million strong modern and wealthy city state may highlight us as suitable candidates, but I think in this context, that status is misleading. 

I have heard of the ASL and that perhaps where the phoenix may end up but the logistics there are even more complicated.

As for your comments regarding that more people follow European football rather than the local flavour, that also happens here as well. I know plenty of people who stay up to ridiculous hours to watch EPL but won't attend the A-League because they don't rate it. Eurosnobs. But to the A-Leagues credit for the first 10 seasons crowd participation grew and only this season have the figures gone backwards. Also Australia hosted the Asia Cup early this year and the attendances exceeded expectations but sadly those people did not then move across to the local matches. When Liverpool toured a few years ago 95,000 people went to the match. So as you can see we have similar problems to Singapore.

None the less, the general observation is that the quality is improving and supporters are becoming more demanding of the visa players because they are meant to be better than the local variety. As an example Aaron Mooy for City has completely eclipsed our international marquee.

Away fans for game day matches are usually quite low with the exceptions of derbys. So when Central Coast mariners play in Melbourne they will have probably about 50 people as well. So in that case, the Lions XII already meet the expected standard :) However, as a marketing exercise I would expect the Lions XII to try and tap into the local expat community to have supporters at the games. I am not fussed by the tourism boost as I think that was just a pipe dream.

Of course I can understand your feelings regarding Singapore creating its own local culture but I wonder whether 5M people can support 10 professional teams. Melbourne with a population of 4M people is not doing that well and we only have two professional teams (reasons for this are discussed elsewhere on this forum).

In any case if the A-League is to expand internationally my vote right now goes to Singapore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I have heard of the ASL and that perhaps where the phoenix may end up but the logistics there are even more complicated.

As for your comments regarding that more people follow European football rather than the local flavour, that also happens here as well. I know plenty of people who stay up to ridiculous hours to watch EPL but won't attend the A-League because they don't rate it. Eurosnobs. But to the A-Leagues credit for the first 10 seasons crowd participation grew and only this season have the figures gone backwards. Also Australia hosted the Asia Cup early this year and the attendances exceeded expectations but sadly those people did not then move across to the local matches. When Liverpool toured a few years ago 95,000 people went to the match. So as you can see we have similar problems to Singapore.

None the less, the general observation is that the quality is improving and supporters are becoming more demanding of the visa players because they are meant to be better than the local variety. As an example Aaron Mooy for City has completely eclipsed our international marquee.

Away fans for game day matches are usually quite low with the exceptions of derbys. So when Central Coast mariners play in Melbourne they will have probably about 50 people as well. So in that case, the Lions XII already meet the expected standard :) However, as a marketing exercise I would expect the Lions XII to try and tap into the local expat community to have supporters at the games. I am not fussed by the tourism boost as I think that was just a pipe dream.

Of course I can understand your feelings regarding Singapore creating its own local culture but I wonder whether 5M people can support 10 professional teams. Melbourne with a population of 4M people is not doing that well and we only have two professional teams (reasons for this are discussed elsewhere on this forum).

In any case if the A-League is to expand internationally my vote right now goes to Singapore.

Your optimism is very refreshing lol... But anyways, the FAS are still very keen on the ASL and the LionsXII are expected to be playing in it in 2017. I'm not sure if they know anything about the A-League's interest.

The thing about the LionsXII project is that it takes the republic's best players out of the local clubs on a whim, forming a quasi-national team. All the funding and attention goes to the LionsXII project. National team coach doesn't even look at the S-League players anymore, even if they are competent enough. The XII players start to feel infallible and that's not good.

That's why I have reservations about having such a "project" team that plays in a separate league. I wouldn't mind if they put equal amount of effort on both the LionsXII and the S-League but the thing is they don't. The S-League is just left to die. 

But if you ask me, if 5M people really can't support 10 professional teams and if we really need such a "project" team, then better play in Oz than in Southeast Asia. 

3 hours ago, manandoboy said:

Your optimism is very refreshing lol... But anyways, the FAS are still very keen on the ASL and the LionsXII are expected to be playing in it in 2017. I'm not sure if they know anything about the A-League's interest.

The thing about the LionsXII project is that it takes the republic's best players out of the local clubs on a whim, forming a quasi-national team. All the funding and attention goes to the LionsXII project. National team coach doesn't even look at the S-League players anymore, even if they are competent enough. The XII players start to feel infallible and that's not good.

That's why I have reservations about having such a "project" team that plays in a separate league. I wouldn't mind if they put equal amount of effort on both the LionsXII and the S-League but the thing is they don't. The S-League is just left to die. 

But if you ask me, if 5M people really can't support 10 professional teams and if we really need such a "project" team, then better play in Oz than in Southeast Asia. 

I did not know about how the Lions XII were formed. Thanks for that. Wellington Phoenix is a privately owned franchise club to which the NZ FA don't have much of an input so they concentrate on their own domestic league. But come national team duties the bulk of WP players form the All-Whites. Obviously how the FAS plans to develop football is up to them but I would have thought that the ability to promote players to the Lions would be an incentive.

In any case the likely expansion will commence for the 2017/18 season because that is when the new multimedia rights will commence.

• Like 1

Here's a compilation of Safuwan Baharudin ALL 5 Malaysia Cup 2015 Goals.
All 5 come from headers.
Not bad from a recently turn center-back to a center-mid with 5 goals in 8 games.
The former Melbourne City player return back to LionsXII as an improved player from the Melbourne stint.

Youtube -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-_wacuLX8E

Edited by hilmi_official
  • Like 1

On 27/11/2015, 06:02:53, NewConvert said:

I did not know about how the Lions XII were formed. Thanks for that. Wellington Phoenix is a privately owned franchise club to which the NZ FA don't have much of an input so they concentrate on their own domestic league. But come national team duties the bulk of WP players form the All-Whites. Obviously how the FAS plans to develop football is up to them but I would have thought that the ability to promote players to the Lions would be an incentive.

In any case the likely expansion will commence for the 2017/18 season because that is when the new multimedia rights will commence.

yeah, the LionsXII arent a private club or anything. The players are directly contracted to the FAS itself, so you can see how favouritism would occur in such an operation. It's how they ignore the domestic league that sickens me. 

Interestingly, somebody brought up the idea of sending the LionsXII to the A-League recently, on a radio show. http://www.redcardsportsradio.com/podcasts/why-not-send-the-lionsxii-to-the-a-league/

Sorry if this has gone a little out of topic. But anyways, seems like Safuwan is mulling over moves to either Malaysia or Thailand. Doesn't seem to want to trial at Japan, and most Australian clubs probably don't see him fit to fill a foreign slot. 

27 minutes ago, manandoboy said:

yeah, the LionsXII arent a private club or anything. The players are directly contracted to the FAS itself, so you can see how favouritism would occur in such an operation. It's how they ignore the domestic league that sickens me. 

Interestingly, somebody brought up the idea of sending the LionsXII to the A-League recently, on a radio show. http://www.redcardsportsradio.com/podcasts/why-not-send-the-lionsxii-to-the-a-league/

Sorry if this has gone a little out of topic. But anyways, seems like Safuwan is mulling over moves to either Malaysia or Thailand. Doesn't seem to want to trial at Japan, and most Australian clubs probably don't see him fit to fill a foreign slot. 

Well I hope that things go well for Safuwan. Well at least if the idea is getting some airplay then perhaps it may come to fruition.

Interestingly enough on another side topic, the A-League has recognised that the clubs are not scouting the Asian clubs for a visa spot and there were talks about making it compulsory to make a visa spot for an AFC player. The A-League will also reduce the number of visa players from 5 down to 4 for next season. It was meant to start this season but the clubs complained that not enough warning was given (which was true) so it has been delayed. just off the top of my head I believe that there are only two visa players from the AFC. And to be honest there are many on this site that are bewildered as to why Safuwan was not given a contract, and certainly his replacement has only played 45 minutes because he is always injured.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

This article was from ESPNFC on 17th December 2015, take from it what you will. Looks like they're writing for the sake of writing though.

So is there a way we can bring him in considering our visa spots are all full?

(Have tried to share the full article but I'm am to computer stupid) :blink:

Screenshot_2016-01-04-11-41-16.png

Well according to his instagram he is off to Kuala Lumpur

On 11/25/2015 at 8:19 PM, NewConvert said:

You do realise that Lions XII is supported by the whole nation? As it was created by their football body to developed mostly under-23s Singaporeans to play at a higher level than their domestic league. They have a population of around 5 million, 1 million more, if not on par with the size of our city so if they do play here, expect the whole nation will be behind them. However, I doubt it will happen as the club has been dissolved. 

• 4 weeks later...

"For me, Melbourne has been the best time of my life. In the short period of three to four months, it showed me that with good coaches and good facilities, you can adapt from where you came, even from Singapore. You can pursue your dreams.

"When I first went to A-League, no one knew a thing about me. They didn't really know Singapore football. Despite all the odds, they actually turned up the tables upside down and gave me chance after chance. If the chances keep coming for you, you have to grab and go."

Full article: http://www.espnfcasia.com/blog/football-asia/153/post/2791385/singapore-star-safuwan-targets-europe-move