Melbourne Football

Round 16: Vs The other "One Team in Melbourne"???, 7th February, 7:30pm

Peter

too many players played out of position. korren aint a striker. CANNOT WAIT for Kennedy to start... first time a proper striker would have started for us this season... we will start putting away our chances and have someone on the end of balls into the box (williams and korren never stay at home and always come looking for the ball)

Getting a bit sick of this out of position nonsense. These blokes are told to play a certain way. If they cant do it or their opponent beats them its not because they dont like playing there or aren't suited its because in that instance they are Fucking Shit.

• Like 1

Youth derby just finished, up 2-0 80 mins in only to concede twice and archibald get sent off

Germano started

Dekker and Espindola both getting assists, surely they're close to getting atleast promoted to the 1st team squad

Any sign of Marino ? 

I'm just going by the twitter feed,

marino and mauk still not in squad at all

Getting a bit sick of this out of position nonsense. These blokes are told to play a certain way. If they cant do it or their opponent beats them its not because they dont like playing there or aren't suited its because in that instance they are Fucking Shit.

Not sure I agree Jovan.

Midfielders are not strikers, CB's are not midfielders.  Sure you might get the odd left footed striker who can be turned in to a L B and end up in Europe and playing for the NT, but thats the exception not the rule.

This was the worst game we played since the Wellington thrashing. To say we were not at the races is an understatement however this should not surprise us fans anymore. JVS is only going to ever deliver a good run of results that last 5-6 weeks max. In that, he has been very consistent.

The Ramsay decision was the right one 100%.. I mean how many chances are you suppose to give a player.. If you look at the first 20min Ramsay made the same mistake 3 times, apart from that he had several bad touches and he was never going to beat Geria on his best day... This sends a strong message to the playing group... If you can't perform on the big stage then fuck off and will get someone who can.. I will be very surprised if Redmayne and Ramsay are still at the club next season ... What a fucken rubbish keeper he has turned out to be ... An absolute goal magnet ..

Special mention to Koren our so called Marquee player. His performances thus far have been poor and no where near that of an international marquee. Mooy and Melling have carried him in most games and yesterday was his moment to stand up, given Mooy and Melling had quite games.. He did nothing and showed very little interest in trying to lift the team.. Serious questions need to be asked about his commitment to the team.. He should come in for some criticism ..

The issue isn't so much that he was subbed off; it's that he started him in the first place and then subbed him off. A waste of a change...Williams should have always been starting ahead of him. To me, it almost makes Ramsay a martyr (surely curtains for him now: already at rock bottom with confidence and form, let's add some public humiliation to the mix...I'm sure that will help). From where I was sitting, at the time that Ramsay was coming off, we'd have been 0-0, if it wasn't for two consecutive f*** ups from our captain. Imagine if Kisnorbo had been dragged. Now that would have sent a bloody message.

These guys are elite players. If required they should be able to move into a role. I am not suggesting drastically different like CB to striker. But IMO Koren should be able to play any position in the front third even across the middle. Problem is/was that he was just shit last night not because he's not suited to no 9.

I think it's obvious that tactically Victory set us up perfect for their counter attacking style and did it with precision, and I'm sure one of the tactical focal points was to expose Kisnorbos lack of speed. I don't know if anyone else noticed but whenever Chapman had the ball Berisha would attack him from his left side. Kalfallah tucked in tight to Hoffman forcing Chapman to have to move the ball forward himself. Some of us commented on how well Chapman was able to move the ball out of defense but I think this was the trap that Victory had set up. When chapman took the ball past the half way mark they then tried to force a quick turn over and counter. With Chapman out of position we had Kisnorbo at the back having to deal with the pace of the a Victory front three. I also beleive that this is why when Kisorbo was on the ball he wasnt pressured in the same way, but more front on to expose his passing.

Edited by n i k o

Very agreeable article:

Melbourne derby: City a club full of promise but the project still has a long way to go

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

FEBRUARY 07, 2015

PUNTERS underestimated the magnitude of the Melbourne City overhaul at the start of the season when they were installed as TAB’s title favourites.

Having regained their bearings (one loss in their last five) after losing their compass in the October-November period, the 3-0 derby drubbing is a timely reminder of the work in progress that is City.

Salary cap and squad size limitations and the global game’s quirks mean Melbourne City can’t slash, burn and climb as rapidly as their Manchester brothers did in 2008 after City Football Group’s takeover.

Imagine Frank Lampard partnering Robbie Koren and Aaron Mooy in midfield, or Ivan Franjic charging from right-back and supplying balls for Josh Kennedy and David Williams.

Both were within days of joining City - Lampard last July and Franjic a fortnight ago - but are with Man City (soon joining David Vila at New York City) and Torpedo Moscow respectively.

The gradual overhaul also makes for a more intriguing narrative, albeit to the chagrin of many in this instant gratification age.

Playing together for the first time, marquee duo Koren and Kennedy underline City’s enormous potential and unpredictability going forward, while the three goals they conceded highlight their defensive vulnerability.

Kennedy’s introduction was immaterial, with Victory killing off the game with a third two minutes after his entrance, but he’ll be better for the run.

Don’t let John van’t Schip’s Euro vacation getup fool anyone, he’s added a harder edge since copping a media scrutiny in early December and it ain’t blunting anytime soon (don’t be surprised if they get flogged on the track this week).

That was evidenced at the 30-minute mark when he mercilessly dragged Iain Ramsay and replaced him with David Williams.

Subbing off a fit player in the first half is the height of ignominy, for one who missed a sitter last week it’s a confidence killer.

It leaves Ramsay with rotten memories of Etihad Stadium after a tough night out in round 3 at left back.

Chapman and Melling were front and centre in the 67th minute skirmish involving - shock horror - Besart Berisha, and they’ve added mongrel to a team that once had too many nice guys.

City was missing Erik Paartalu, Mate Dugandzic, James Brown and Ben Garuccio to injury and they will make last night’s unbalanced side more rounded.

City is sixth by a mere point, and while the inconsistency will continue, expect them to make the top six and be a prickly opponent.

Victory meanwhile must be equal title favourites with Perth Glory.

Berisha’s form is ominous as finals draw near, Kosta Barbarouses scoring again is a huge plus, while imminent inclusions Matthieu Delpierre and Mark Milligan are first class.

Both had an interrupted first half of the season and if Milligan can continue his Asian Cup form from next week, when he returns from suspension, there are few weak links in Kevin Muscat’s side.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-derby-city-a-club-full-of-promise-but-the-project-still-has-a-long-way-to-go/story-fnk6pqhd-1227211747769

Very agreeable article:

Melbourne derby: City a club full of promise but the project still has a long way to go

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

FEBRUARY 07, 2015

PUNTERS underestimated the magnitude of the Melbourne City overhaul at the start of the season when they were installed as TAB’s title favourites.

Having regained their bearings (one loss in their last five) after losing their compass in the October-November period, the 3-0 derby drubbing is a timely reminder of the work in progress that is City.

Salary cap and squad size limitations and the global game’s quirks mean Melbourne City can’t slash, burn and climb as rapidly as their Manchester brothers did in 2008 after City Football Group’s takeover.

Imagine Frank Lampard partnering Robbie Koren and Aaron Mooy in midfield, or Ivan Franjic charging from right-back and supplying balls for Josh Kennedy and David Williams.

Both were within days of joining City - Lampard last July and Franjic a fortnight ago - but are with Man City (soon joining David Vila at New York City) and Torpedo Moscow respectively.

The gradual overhaul also makes for a more intriguing narrative, albeit to the chagrin of many in this instant gratification age.

Playing together for the first time, marquee duo Koren and Kennedy underline City’s enormous potential and unpredictability going forward, while the three goals they conceded highlight their defensive vulnerability.

Kennedy’s introduction was immaterial, with Victory killing off the game with a third two minutes after his entrance, but he’ll be better for the run.

Don’t let John van’t Schip’s Euro vacation getup fool anyone, he’s added a harder edge since copping a media scrutiny in early December and it ain’t blunting anytime soon (don’t be surprised if they get flogged on the track this week).

That was evidenced at the 30-minute mark when he mercilessly dragged Iain Ramsay and replaced him with David Williams.

Subbing off a fit player in the first half is the height of ignominy, for one who missed a sitter last week it’s a confidence killer.

It leaves Ramsay with rotten memories of Etihad Stadium after a tough night out in round 3 at left back.

Chapman and Melling were front and centre in the 67th minute skirmish involving - shock horror - Besart Berisha, and they’ve added mongrel to a team that once had too many nice guys.

City was missing Erik Paartalu, Mate Dugandzic, James Brown and Ben Garuccio to injury and they will make last night’s unbalanced side more rounded.

City is sixth by a mere point, and while the inconsistency will continue, expect them to make the top six and be a prickly opponent.

Berisha’s form is ominous as finals draw near, Kosta Barbarouses scoring again is a huge plus, while imminent inclusions Matthieu Delpierre and Mark Milligan are first class.

Both had an interrupted first half of the season and if Milligan can continue his Asian Cup form from next week, when he returns from suspension, there are few weak links in Kevin Muscat’s side.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-derby-city-a-club-full-of-promise-but-the-project-still-has-a-long-way-to-go/story-fnk6pqhd-1227211747769

Shit article, nothing we didn't already know. And Kisnorbo once again is let off scot free 

And Kisnorbo once again is let off scot free 

I know! Its almost as if there are no repercussions for poor performances. I mean, if he had been with the club for 3 seasons and been shit for all 3 of them, surely he would have been given the arse by now 

The stench of sarcasm runs deep in this post.

I like it.

thoroughly disappointed. feel shitloads of sympathy for the people who have spent their hard earned cashed to attend both Etihad games (particularly where paying to get in active to make some noise for the lads) to see two really really shit games there this year.

did find it surprising the way the team smashed in most of the stats by comparison.  by all means, the only stat that truly counts is those two numbers on the score sheet.

still, we did smash them in shots, general attacking plays / balls into box and intercepts (a very surprising 26-6) along with possession.  

more than anything tho, it just confirms that (a.) you gotta take your chances, and (b.) cant afford to fuck up at the back the ways Kisnorbo did tonight.  so many fucking gifts .....

makes me reflect that Victory werent necessarily that good.

more that we lost it as opposed to them winning it. 

I think it's obvious that tactically Victory set us up perfect for their counter attacking style and did it with precision, and I'm sure one of the tactical focal points was to expose Kisnorbos lack of speed. I don't know if anyone else noticed but whenever Chapman had the ball Berisha would attack him from his left side. Kalfallah tucked in tight to Hoffman forcing Chapman to have to move the ball forward himself. Some of us commented on how well Chapman was able to move the ball out of defense but I think this was the trap that Victory had set up. When chapman took the ball past the half way mark they then tried to force a quick turn over and counter. With Chapman out of position we had Kisnorbo at the back having to deal with the pace of the a Victory front three. I also beleive that this is why when Kisorbo was on the ball he wasnt pressured in the same way, but more front on to expose his passing.

what surprised me about the Victory is that they let us be the dominate team.  by all means they countered well.  it just surprised me that they (in tandem with they way they countered) was they basically acted as if we are the bigger team.  gave up possession, sat deep.  when was he last time you saw another game else where when the"bigger" team played as though they were the second rate team to the supposedly "smaller" opposition.

Edited by mattyh001

what surprised me about the Victory is that they let us be the dominate team.  by all means they countered well.  it just surprised me that they (in tandem with they way they countered) was they basically acted as if we are the bigger team.  gave up possession, sat deep.  when was he last time you saw another game else where when the"bigger" team played as though they were the second rate team to the supposedly "smaller" opposition.

AsI mentioned earlier, Miscount (and anyone else) identified that our poor ball speed and poor movement off the ball means that we have great difficulty breaking down a structured defence. All that was additionally required was some coordinated pressing that would result in the inevitable turnover and then we provide them with an opportunity to counter. Our defensive transition was also poor - usually we counter press but there was nothing in this game

AsI mentioned earlier, Miscount (and anyone else) identified that our poor ball speed and poor movement off the ball means that we have great difficulty breaking down a structured defence. All that was additionally required was some coordinated pressing that would result in the inevitable turnover and then we provide them with an opportunity to counter. Our defensive transition was also poor - usually we counter press but there was nothing in this game

agree with what you say overall.  they played a style that focused on where we were likely to mess up.

however my point was more to do with the history between how the two teams interact and overall game dynamic - both on and off the pitch

ultimately all teams would have a week link in the chain some where - just that seem teams have a weakness that more easy to exploit than others.  

for exploiting purposes or not, all i meant was that it seemed strange that Victory gave us sooooo much ground.  

as you mention, we tend to counter press quite quickly ourselves - which when you consider how deep Victory invited us it does have its risks for Victory since they are risking our counter press deep in their half (and a turnover of their own much closer to goal).  the fact we were so shit at it doesnt mean Victory played well, just that we were shit.  their gamble then, to some large extent, paid off

more to what i meant tho, Victory (and oh so many of their fans) love to say they are the big team in Melbourne.  the fact they let us take initiative makes me think the tides are turning in that respect.  as if to say that Victory realise (if it is only as a club for now) that City are a very serious threat to their strangle hold on Melbourne.

and while they are able to exploit the tide turning since we still carry dead wood defensively, it makes for interesting viewing in 8 months time.  frustratingly, that wont be until next season.

Edited by mattyh001

Very agreeable article:

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

FEBRUARY 07, 2015

Shit article, nothing we didn't already know. And Kisnorbo once again is let off scot free

Not a shit article. I know David and despite the club with it's shocking management previously and now inconsistent runs, he still tries to prop up MCFC and give us a good wrap.

• Like 1

@matty:  I sense what you sense.   It was there in the previous game. No way-tactics or not- should the biggest club in the country sit back defending in its own half in front of its own fans against a bottom half opponent hoping for a mistake to capitalise on. MV go out there afraid of losing to us.  

OTOH if there is one change since CFG too over its that we are now controlling possession in most games.  Now people might say possession is two fifths of eff all-and it is if we gift 3 goals per game, but over time I expect that possession advantage to result in win.

Very agreeable article:

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

FEBRUARY 07, 2015

Not a shit article. I know David and despite the club with it's shocking management previously and now inconsistent runs, he still tries to prop up MCFC and give us a good wrap.

Problem is he comes across more as cheerleader than someone asking the tough questions 

• Like 1

As I am still trying to learn about the game (I know I am a slow learner) I am finding this season that possession does not mean much. Perth have won most of their games whilst losing the possession statistic and thy lost this weekend whilst winning the possession stat. I think that the thinking is that if th other team does not have the ball then they can't score but since its impossible for a team to have 100% of possession then what really does matter is what you do when you do have the ball and conversely what you do when you don't have the ball. And at the moment City don't have the skill set to take full advantage when they do have the ball. IIRC, Murfy showed that our forwards have not scored from open play since late November and they have only scored from penalties. So to summarise we are struggling with depth in defense and struggling with our forwards to score. JVS what are you doing about this?

The article by Davo highlights something about last nights match compared to our 1:0 win at Christmas. The Tards by and large have a fairly settled side and their so called football style is one that they have been working on and recruiting players for the last 10 years. Their aim is to outscore the opposition by whatever means. If that means sitting off and letting us have the ball then that's not a problem because they beleive in their goal scoring ability. Hard to argue.

Our side is an evolving one because of the crap recruitment and re-signings. It means that last night we had to have a virgin new signing step in for Portaloo and Clisby is still learning to play with the lads. Then we had Garuccio, Duga and Velaphi who all started in the Christmas derby not available last night. Then during the game Kisnorbo fcuksup for two goals (errant pass and needless free kick) and Ramsay dragged within 30 min (why was he started?) - no wonder we were on the ropes. It didn't help that we hurried ourselves into taking pot shots at goal from way putside the penalty area when we should have stayed calm and passed the ball around more and waited for better opportunites. So in some ways we gifted the game to Victree by our own stupidity.

• Like 2

As I am still trying to learn about the game (I know I am a slow learner) I am finding this season that possession does not mean much. Perth have won most of their games whilst losing the possession statistic and thy lost this weekend whilst winning the possession stat. I think that the thinking is that if th other team does not have the ball then they can't score but since its impossible for a team to have 100% of possession then what really does matter is what you do when you do have the ball and conversely what you do when you don't have the ball. And at the moment City don't have the skill set to take full advantage when they do have the ball. IIRC, Murfy showed that our forwards have not scored from open play since late November and they have only scored from penalties. So to summarise we are struggling with depth in defense and struggling with our forwards to score. JVS what are you doing about this?

The thing about the A-League is that many goals are not created but come out of nothing or an opposition mistake. Most dfenders are quite poor with the ball in this league.  If you have a clinical front 3 then you are most of the way there to finishing top 4. We lack that front 3.

I still believe if a team can control the ball they will win most of the time, but then there are the Inter Milan's that win the Champions league playing counter attack.

The thing about the A-League is that many goals are not created but come out of nothing or an opposition mistake. Most dfenders are quite poor with the ball in this league.  If you have a clinical front 3 then you are most of the way there to finishing top 4. We lack that front 3.

I still believe if a team can control the ball they will win most of the time, but then there are the Inter Milan's that win the Champions league playing counter attack.

When I watched the world cup and the Asia cup a lot of goals are from mistakes. Rarely do you see goals scored from beginning to end - the two occassions I recall are Berisha in the first derby immediately after staring the second half and Luomgo's goal in the Asia cup final. I do agree that a clinical front 3 would mean that City would be in the top four.

Embarrassing. A good manager should be able to, at half time, give the team a good talking to in that they come out fired up and looking like a different side. Not only did it not happen on Saturday, I didn't happen last time we were there.

Both games were within reach... nobody stood up to grab it.

Utterly disappointed.

• Like 1

Big club afraid of the little club? No way.

The way I saw it was that muscat (and probably all other clubs by now) know that our "game plan" is to keep possession and press up the field. Victory well knew that all they had to do was defend, stop us getting close to the goal and then hit us quickly on the break. Which they did very effectively - IMHO we should have lost by more than 3.

It was obvious they knew:

1. We have no firepower in the front (Ramsay??)

2. Our defense is weak (Kisnorbo??) and too far out.

3. Their attack is fast, strong and good.

4. We have a coach who does not know how to cover weaknesses or adapt during a game.

QED

....So to summarise we are struggling with depth in defense and struggling with our forwards to score. JVS what are you doing about this?

In most football leagues in the world where clubs are allowed to fully control their destiny, unlike in the A League, JVS would have been free to bring in as many quality signings of his choice in January.

Not in the A League. So unfortunately we are stuck with mediocre players until their contracts run out because we are also not allowed to increase our squad size.  

so hard supporting this club at times.

although i may not post much on these forums, I do read them everyday and have been to 70-80% of home matches (and all derbies home or away) since inception - but at some stage after so much mediocrity and leaving home games with more pain than success, you will feel really deflated and wonder why you still bother ....

although i may not post much on these forums, I do read them everyday and have been to 70-80% of home matches (and all derbies home or away) since inception - but at some stage after so much mediocrity and leaving home games with more pain than success, you will feel really deflated and wonder why you still bother ....

and yet I'd still take this over supporting the tards...

• Like 2

and yet I'd still take this over supporting the tards... True, could never support that mob but at times I ask my self wtf have I done in my previous life to deserve this torture while following heart/city

Feel sorry for all that went. I had a bloody ripper day at Laneway and refused to check the score til afterwards to ensure my day was not ruined.

Next few games for us are crucial, wonder if anyone is going to step up or if we'll just fade away down the ladder.

Edited by carlings

@matty:  I sense what you sense.   It was there in the previous game. No way-tactics or not- should the biggest club in the country sit back defending in its own half in front of its own fans against a bottom half opponent hoping for a mistake to capitalise on. MV go out there afraid of losing to us.  

OTOH if there is one change since CFG too over its that we are now controlling possession in most games.  Now people might say possession is two fifths of eff all-and it is if we gift 3 goals per game, but over time I expect that possession advantage to result in win.

You play in the best way to exploit your opponent's weaknesses. The HAL is too even for a team to impose itself in every game irrespective of the opponent the way that Roar could a few seasons ago, that was a tactical innovation that left the other teams playing catchup for a season. We know that there isn't a lot of difference between us and the Visitors, particularly in defence, the difference is at the other end of the pitch where they had 3 shots on target and scored with all of them. We don't have a forward line with those abilities so it makes natural sense of the Visitors to sit back, press in midfield and counter attack. Everytime they have tried to play our game we have beaten them from season 1, that isn't a new thing, Muscunt understands that well.

What was most disappointing is that we couldn't put their shaky defence under any pressure whatsoever before our only serious attempt on goal in the 86'. In that respect it was a far worse performance than the first derby when we match them in the first half

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

From what I’ve read CFG preach an “effective” possession brand of football, that is you don’t always need to have the majority of possession, but rather make the most of it when you do have it.

If you look at the stats throughout this season, more often than not City out-possess their opposition, not necessarily because they’re good at keeping the ball, but rather teams will allow them to have it as they are confident of keeping City out and attacking on the counter.

City’s issue of being unable to break down well-structured defences and get behind the last line of defence while being vulnerable on the counter has been evident since the FFA Cup clash against Sydney and no more so again on Saturday night.  

• Like 1

Remember having a read of the Tards forum before the match and majority of their scum were predicting a loss for them. So (obviously not now) as someone mentioned earlier they were genuinely worried about City's ability.

And it was the same on 442.  There's always more expectation on their players as the "bigger" club.

Despite the tactical reasons for them sitting back, I still maintain they do have an element of fear-the fear of losing when they play us.

I believe the key to these game is for us to score first and stop gifting goals to them.  By my estimation we've handed them 6 goals this year alone due to monumental defensive fuck ups that only we can conjure up.  I can handle being outplayed but not that.

Feel sorry for all that went. I had a bloody ripper day at Laneway and refused to check the score til afterwards to ensure my day was not ruined.

Next few games for us are crucial, wonder if anyone is going to step up or if we'll just fade away down the ladder.

Spare a thought for those who left laneway early only to watch such a gutless display.

Spare a thought for those who left laneway early only to watch such a gutless display.

Surely not, you poor cunt.