Melbourne Football

Round 16: Vs The other "One Team in Melbourne"???, 7th February, 7:30pm

Peter

Nah what i meant was during the game. All he needs is his own supporters giving it to him.

Edit not that we are that loud anyway. Actually maybe i should stop now before i really confuse myself.

The Velaphi chant last week after we conceded was fairly obvious, heard loud and clear from the other side of the stadium.

Obviously a derby is a bit harder to be heard in, but he would have been reeling last week.

Nah what i meant was during the game. All he needs is his own supporters giving it to him.

Edit not that we are that loud anyway. Actually maybe i should stop now before i really confuse myself.

The Velaphi chant last week after we conceded was fairly obvious, heard loud and clear from the other side of the stadium.

Obviously a derby is a bit harder to be heard in, but he would have been reeling last week.

"They're professional athletes, they're used to this kind of thing, it rolls right off their back!"

wehyxqf.gif

• Like 4

Must play Redders. Will support him until final whistle regardless.

If ever a player needed our support is now.

FWIW i think he's average at best and with no confidence terrible.

Agreed.

I am no fan of Redders (who I believe is easily the worst signing this club has made, measured in terms of the negative impact on the field) and whilst singing a song for Velaphi whilst Redders is in goals stuffing up might be both:

a) funny and

b ) deserved;

the fact of the matter is the bloke's on the field.  If you want him to get through the game without an even worse than normal disaster, how about some support to help his waifer thin confidence.  I reckon he needs all the help he can get.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 5

Melbourne derby: Josh Kennedy to make debut for City in highly charged fixture

MATT WINDLEY

FEBRUARY 06, 2015

SOCCEROOS striker Josh Kennedy is set to make his hugely-anticipated Melbourne City debut in the cauldron of the Melbourne derby at Etihad Stadium.

John van’t Schip refuted claims from Melbourne Victory that City cannot compete with their cross-town rivals when at their best, saying his team can beat all others.

But Victory counterpart Kevin Muscat was later keen to assert that he feels City save their best only for matches between the two teams.

Kennedy, 32, signed a one-and-a-half year deal as City’s Australian marquee player in November.

He was available to play for the first time last week, but was not deemed fit to do so, however he is set to make a cameo appearance off the bench in front of an expected huge crowd in his home town.

“It depends on how the game goes and then we’ll see what his role can be,” van’t Schip said.

“Josh had a very good week and he’s been making a lot of progression. He’s certainly one of the players that’s going to be involved for the game.”

Victory midfielder Carl Valeri said City “can’t match” his side when on top formt, while striker Besart Berisha said earlier in the week that Victory are “No.1 in this town”.

But van’t Schip said his confidence in his players’ ability is high.

“That’s their comments,” he said.

“If they want to say that they have their reasons. But if we stick to our plan we can beat every team in the league if we’re up to what we have to do.”

Despite making the finals just once in four and a half seasons, City have split derby meetings with Victory — winning five, losing five and drawing four.

Melbourne City won the two teams’ most recent encounter 1-0 just prior to Christmas.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-derby-josh-kennedy-to-make-debut-for-city-in-highly-charged-fixture/story-fnk6pqhd-1227210798195?nk=bfba683755d3edbe5acc2f5dc7db7c52

Edited by Murfy1

Van 't Schip: City can beat every team

By Iain Strachan

06/02/2015

The Dutchman has backed his team to get the job done and upset the title challengers when the two teams clash with local bragging rights and important points at stake

John van 't Schip believes Melbourne City are good enough to beat every team in the A-League as they prepare for Saturday night's derby against Melbourne Victory.

The two clubs have one win apiece from their two meetings earlier this season, Victory having registered a 5-2 triumph in Round 3, before City returned fire in December, winning 1-0 in injury time to inflict a first league defeat of the season on their local rivals.

Kevin Muscat's men have the advantage in the standings, sitting third on the table, 10 points clear of sixth-placed City.

But despite the Big V having proven themselves to more consistent throughout the first 15 rounds of the campaign, Van 't Schip insisted his troops are able to match it with the competition's frontrunners.

"If we're playing at our best we can beat every team," he said.

"I think we can match every opponent in the league."

City will be without goalkeeper Tando Velaphi again this weekend.

Having served a suspension in the 2-1 win at home to Western Sydney last Sunday, the former Victory man has been ruled out of the match at Etihad Stadium due to injury, meaning Andrew Redmayne is set to continue between the sticks.

"Tando didn't pass the fitness test, he has a problem with his ... shoulder," Van 't Schip said.

"We have to see how quickly he can come back but he's not going to be involved."

Australian marquee striker Josh Kennedy has been named in the squad and could yet make his City debut in the derby, although the veteran Socceroo is likely to be limited to a cameo off the bench.

"We have to see how the game goes and then we'll see what his role can be," Van 't Schip said, before talking up 32-year-old's presence around the club.

"He's a boy that has played every where in the world, in Europe, in Japan, with the Socceroos. He's a very experienced player, he's a good lad to have around.

"And he shows that he's a professional. We're happy that he's with us and he brings a lot of experience with him. Hopefully he's going to be very important on the pitch as well."

Finally, Jack Clisby, a January signing from Perth Glory, should make his first start at left-back due to Ben Garuccio's absence.

Asked about the extent of Garuccio's ankle injury, Van 't Schip said: "We don't know exactly yet, he's certainly going to be out for a few weeks."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/02/06/8655772/van-t-schip-city-can-beat-every-team

360 View: Is this the biggest Melbourne derby yet?

MATT WINDLEY

FEBRUARY 06, 2015 

COULD this be the biggest Melbourne derby ever?

It’s always an easy question to pose considering it’s the one that’s right in front of us, but all the available evidence presents a compelling case.

For the first time, in what is the 15th meeting between these sides, both sides are entrenched in the top six when they meet.

For the last four seasons when one has been up — usually Melbourne Victory — the other has been down.

But the only time Melbourne City have made the finals, Victory suffered perhaps their worst season in memory and missed out.

Both teams are in form.

Victory are undoubtedly challenging for the highest of honours.

Kevin Muscat’s men are a $3.50 title favourite with TAB after being bundled out in the preliminary final in the past two seasons.

They’ll be smarting, too, after coughing up a late 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 with Perth in their last game.

City, on the other hand, are starting to tick along nicely.

There have been false dawns before.

The seven wins out of eight in 2011-12, which took them towards the top of the table, even last season’s run of six wins and a draw from seven matches gave hope to the most unlikely of finals appearances.

But this current run, four wins and a draw in its last six, just feels different, it feels sustainable.

Midfielder Aaron Mooy is the hottest player in the A-League right now, while in Robert Koren and Damien Duff City has imports to match just about any team.

Except, Victory supporters would argue, the team across town.

Striker Besart Berisha is desperate for a big game after a quiet last derby, while Fahid Ben Khalfallah has rocketed to the top of News Corp’s Player of the Year award.

Of course, Saturday is set to mark the debut City appearance of Socceroos striker Josh Kennedy, albeit off the bench, while both teams will be desperate to win after splitting the two contests earlier in the season.

So could this Melbourne derby be the biggest ever?

All signs point to yes.

Let’s now hope the combatants deliver in front of a huge Etihad Stadium crowd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/view-is-this-the-biggest-melbourne-derby-yet/story-fnk6pqhd-1227210879773

God only knows how much I want us to win tomorrow night... a) I do not want Brisbane, if they win in Newcastle, be just one point ahead of us and b )  All the more sweeter that we won 2 derbies this season against Victards!!

Edited by raw10

From what I remember it was mentioned that the Man City supporters group was from interstate. I haven't seen them at our home games and so it may or may not be an issue.

And why would it be an issue even if they come? Have they harmed us in any way or embarrassed us? Whether they are bandwagoners and support us or not support us who cares. Free country, they are free to chant what they want. If it means more supporters following us who wear Man City who cares l say! The more the merrier.

From what I remember it was mentioned that the Man City supporters group was from interstate. I haven't seen them at our home games and so it may or may not be an issue.

And why would it be an issue even if they come? Have they harmed us in any way or embarrassed us? Whether they are bandwagoners and support us or not support us who cares. Free country, they are free to chant what they want. If it means more supporters following us who wear Man City who cares l say! The more the merrier.

Yes it was the Brisbane Man City Supporters teamiing up with their Melbourne counterparts

Left my run late and wasn't sure if there would be tickets on here for the active area so got GA ones too make sure I can at least get to the game. Any chance someone can sneak me and my son past the gate Nazi for the active area?? I know it's sold out but there's normally a couple of idiot Victory supporters who can't read the Ticketmaster map properly!! There's a free beer in it if you can help. Cheers. ⚽

Good morning lads......it's Derby Day.....now let's fuck those TARDS!!!!!!!! :)

How about playing Safuwan up front? You just never know lol

Good to see you've got the lingo sorted Silva!

I think we are a big chance tonight. We looked good last week and if anything may be even stronger tonight. The weak link is in goals but I'm just hoping Redders stands up. For the Tards they rely on Milligan, especially without Delpieere and they will struggle in their absence.

Honestly think that we are going to win this... hopefully we can win a lot of corners.

I can just picture Gazza right now at home smashing his 28 Wheat Bix and picking out his Mong targets from the line up out the Morning Paper.

and sharpened his elbows.

I having a feeling we could win 2 to 0... with the sealer coming late.

Just feeling uncomfortable at the moment about us having to play this one at Shithad... we really dont want to get behind in front of 35,000 MV fans like last time we had to played them in that hell hole.

Like I said before i am just hoping we get a lot of corners because Aerial Strength (Which we finally have) at corners can often play a big role in deciding Derbies and Finals... use to happen all the time in Old Firm games.

• Like 3

How many minutes do people reckon Kennedy will get tonight? I reckon he'll probably come on for the last 20 mins or so. Can't see the coaching staff starting him for his first game back. Too much of a risk.

Depends how game is going, if Williams is causing leijer problems with pace we may see only a really short run from Kennedy

If not then we may see him for maximum 35 i guess

Just feeling uncomfortable at the moment about us having to play this one at Shithad... we really dont want to get behind in front of 35,000 MV fans like last time we had to played them in that hell hole.

Like I said before i am just hoping we get a lot of corners because Aerial Strength (Which we finally have) at corners can often play a big role in deciding Derbies and Finals... use to happen all the time in Old Firm games.

We are a huge threat in the air. With accurate balls coming in from Duff or Mooy and strong headers in Paartalu and kisnorbo (plus Chappy & hoff ) every set piece is a cause of considerably stress for our opponents. Plus you add to that Jesus coming off the bench and I think the odds of us winning the game via a couple of headers are excellent, particularly when you consider we have already scored 3 aerial goals against this mob this season.

We are a huge threat in the air. With accurate balls coming in from Duff or Mooy and strong headers in Paartalu and kisnorbo (plus Chappy & hoff ) every set piece is a cause of considerably stress for our opponents. Plus you add to that Jesus coming off the bench and I think the odds of us winning the game via a couple of headers are excellent, particularly when you consider we have already scored 3 aerial goals against this mob this season.

Alongside this Meiling is a constant pest in the box at corners creating confusion and space allowing those you mentioned to get more of a chance of getting their head on the ball.