Melbourne Football

Round 14: CCM vs City 4th Jan KO: 5:00pm

kingofhearts

Well with Melling suspended I suspect Koren will drop in to midfield and Williams will play up front.

The other changes I would make would be to bring in Germano on to the bench and replace Ramsay with Dekker. Come on JVS if the lad is scoring in the NYL he must be a better bet than Ramsay.

Edited by silva10

Yep, would be massive to finish 2014 with 13 points from our last five games. Sydney and Brisbane playing out a scoreless draw means that we gained points on the teams immediately below and above us on the table (wouldn't be against all the remaining games this week being draws, to be honest). Unlikely, considering what the Jets just dished up against us, but at least some chance to draw level on points with Sydney, or even go ahead of them with a game in hand.

Playing away, but offset, in my opinion, by Mariners having to back up from a Thursday game. Melling out with suspension and presumably the options would be to bring in Murdocca or Miller as a straight swap, or push Koren back to the midfield and start with Duff up front alongside two of Brown/Dugandzic/Williams. I'd be pushing for the former (provided Murdocca's fitness is up to scratch, or Miller puts in a solid performance with the youth team), as Koren and Duff up front looked absolutely lethal and I really think a promotion for either Williams or Dugandzic (and Brown retaining his spot, in all honesty, though we may be handcuffed there) sends the wrong message. Willing to give Murdocca or Miller another chance over rewarding tepid performances from the incumbents. Perhaps a chance for a youth player to step up.

Assuming Hoffman is still out, I'm guessing Wielaert's spot will be under question, as his direct opponent was probably Newcastle's best and by some margin. Hopeful that Germano will be an option to fight Wielaert for the starting spot and it seems like he'd have a good block of NYL fitness under his belt now to be right to go, at least for one game.

If we go in with a lineup of Velaphi, Germano, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Garuccio, Paartalu, Mooy, Murdocca, Duff, Koren, Brown (not that outrageous, I wouldn't have thought), that would be eight different starters from the side that drew with Central Coast earlier in the season (Redmayne, Wielaert, Ramsay, Hoffman, Miller, Melling, Williams, Dugandzic). And the majority of them would be changes for the better.

Edited by SF33

Yep, would be massive to finish 2014 with 13 points from our last five games. Sydney and Brisbane playing out a scoreless draw means that we gained points on the teams immediately below and above us on the table (wouldn't be against all the remaining games this week being draws, to be honest). Unlikely, considering what the Jets just dished up against us, but at least some chance to draw level on points with Sydney, or even go ahead of them with a game in hand.

Playing away, but offset, in my opinion, by Mariners having to back up from a Thursday game. Melling out with suspension and presumably the options would be to bring in Murdocca or Miller as a straight swap, or push Koren back to the midfield and start with Duff up front alongside two of Brown/Dugandzic/Williams. I'd be pushing for the former (provided Murdocca's fitness is up to scratch, or Miller puts in a solid performance with the youth team), as Koren and Duff up front looked absolutely lethal and I really think a promotion for either Williams or Dugandzic (and Brown retaining his spot, in all honesty, though we may be handcuffed there) sends the wrong message. Willing to give Murdocca or Miller another chance over rewarding tepid performances from the incumbents. Perhaps a chance for a youth player to step up.

Assuming Hoffman is still out, I'm guessing Wielaert's spot will be under question, as his direct opponent was probably Newcastle's best and by some margin. Hopeful that Germano will be an option to fight Wielaert for the starting spot and it seems like he'd have a good block of NYL fitness under his belt now to be right to go, at least for one game.

If we go in with a lineup of Velaphi, Germano, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Garuccio, Paartalu, Mooy, Murdocca, Duff, Koren, Brown (not that outrageous, I wouldn't have thought), that would be eight different starters from the side that drew with Central Coast earlier in the season (Redmayne, Wielaert, Ramsay, Hoffman, Miller, Melling, Williams, Dugandzic). And the majority of them would be changes for the better.

Sorry but I don't want Murdocca near the team. Also isn't Miller's contract up tomorrow? If so, then hopefully we won't try to renew it.

I do think you are a bit harsh on Wielhart......yes he was up against there best player, and I think he done okay.

For me Koren has to drop back to midfield and Williams comes in. Hopefully then Koren can play Williams in a few times and fingers crossed he puts one away. Koren can be as effective from midfield as he was up front.

• Like 2

Sorry but I don't want Murdocca near the team. Also isn't Miller's contract up tomorrow? If so, then hopefully we won't try to renew it.

I do think you are a bit harsh on Wielhart......yes he was up against there best player, and I think he done okay.

For me Koren has to drop back to midfield and Williams comes in. Hopefully then Koren can play Williams in a few times and fingers crossed he puts one away. Koren can be as effective from midfield as he was up front.

Wouldn't be against Wielaert starting again. Just think that if Germano is ready to go, there should at least be a competition for that spot, as he's probably played more right back for the club than Wielaert has. For what it's worth (probably not much) I had no idea who Hoole was until tonight and the Jets do have quite a few other 'name' players.

You could well be correct about Miller...not sure. Everywhere I've read it's said his contract was until the end of the year, which would mean tomorrow, but I just inferred that to mean until the break. I'm just worried that with the usual suspects up front, we're going to get cranky Duffman again, because his perfect set-ups will end up in the stands, but again, I guess I'm not against the idea. Whatever people think of Murdocca, I don't think he's actually ever been dropped from the starting lineup, due to his performance. If they do push Koren into a midfield role, hopefully Williams, Dugandzic and Brown have the sense to realise that another ordinary performance is likely to relegate them to occasional cameos for the rest of the season. And if that gives them a few additional butterflies before the game...tough.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

Well with Melling suspended I suspect Koren will drop in to midfield and Williams will play up front.

The other changes I would make would be to bring in Germano on to the bench and replace Ramsay with Dekker. Come on JVS if the lad is scoring in the NYL he must be a better bet than Ramsay.

Yeah not sure.  Koren can set up tap in after tap in, but we'll still lose as Williams blasts over the bar from 3 yards out (yeah he's shown us it IS possible).

Miller will probably play instead of Melling, and everything else will be like today.

Dekker has been quality in NYL, and although he is quick, he has a very small frame, not unlike dugandzic. And although he has been playing seniors at Northcote, I feel like it may still be a little too soon for him.

not sure on this. Dekker is playing as a striker so maybe instead of Ramsay I would bench Williams and start Dekker. Or alternatively start Williams and sub Dekker.

The misses and I bumped into Germano before the Perth game and he looked in pretty good spirits. As his enlish isnt that flash, he was speaking to the misses in spanish so i couldnt understand shit, but from what he told the misses, he is feeling better and more confident. Is now focusing on his form and building up the game time in the youth side.

Looks like h's shed a few kgs as well compared to when he got injured last

• For what it's worth Miller is contracted up until this game, so is available.
  •  I think Murdocca is still injured. 
  • Personally I wouldn't risk Germano.  All jokes asides why play him now with a 30 day break coming?  
  • Dekker needs at least some bench time before he can make the step to starting.

For me the options are Retre (had one bad game, now everyone hates him for some reason), Williams or Mauk (if fit?).  I'd play Willo.

• Personally I wouldn't risk Germano.  All jokes asides why play him now with a 30 day break coming?  
  • Dekker needs at least some bench time before he can make the step to starting.

For me the options are Retre (had one bad game, now everyone hates him for some reason), Williams or Mauk (if fit?).  I'd play Willo.

Correct, Murdocca is still injured. And I agree with you about Germano, he didn't look quite ready over the weekend in the youth team, he needs to play 90 minutes with the youth team a few more times before he should be promoted. Dekker seemed alright, wouldn't mind if he's promoted, however he's got some serious competition for places coming up. Retre is just a shit player for this club and needs to be moved on, nothing to do with one game. He's shit during practise as well, I know because Ive seen many times. Williams, after yesterday's performance, is the player I'd choose.

It's a fair point. But I think the month-long break for the Asian Cup could be used as an argument both for and against. I guess it's a bit of a tough call as the only youth game between now and then is on Saturday.

It's a fair point. But I think the month-long break for the Asian Cup could be used as an argument both for and against. I guess it's a bit of a tough call as the only youth game between now and then is on Saturday.

So does the Youth league go on break as well?

I'm a bit nervous about this game now after seeing our defensive effort last night. After the 3rd goal we started playing like a team with 3 against us! The Jets looked quite threatening on our back third.

The players looked quite spent due to the hot weather and another 5pm kick off will be tough for them after having to fly home and then back up again on Saturday with a long bus commute to Gosford. Yes CCM have less days to recover, but they will be at home.

Also our tactic from the goal kicks was to basically lose the ball every time we kicked. I can't remember too many times that we won the ball back from there. It must have been under instruction, because there were so many opportunities to roll the ball to the backs but we chose to give it back to the Jets and then have them pressurising in waves.

As long as we can score more goals than we concede, I guess that we will be ahead.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we played very well after the third goal. But go on, call me an idiot and a delusionist!

• Like 1

Bring it on boys! almost tempted to make the away trip ;)

Don't get a big head guys, 0-2 City!

Away trips are the best when you get a result like yesterday, I was trying not to smile too much when I walked out of the ground.

Hehe same about the smiling, although most Newcastle fans I went past looked well and truly over it to the point they didn't care

So does the Youth league go on break as well?

Next game after Saturday is 24 January (so they are off for three weeks).

Bring it on boys! almost tempted to make the away trip ;)

Don't get a big head guys, 0-2 City!

Away trips are the best when you get a result like yesterday, I was trying not to smile too much when I walked out of the ground.

Hehe same about the smiling, although most Newcastle fans I went past looked well and truly over it to the point they didn't care

Yeah I know what you mean, I was expecting to cop some abuse on the way out. Instead I heard one praising my city home shirt.

I'm a bit nervous about this game now after seeing our defensive effort last night. After the 3rd goal we started playing like a team with 3 against us! The Jets looked quite threatening on our back third.

The players looked quite spent due to the hot weather and another 5pm kick off will be tough for them after having to fly home and then back up again on Saturday with a long bus commute to Gosford. Yes CCM have less days to recover, but they will be at home.

Also our tactic from the goal kicks was to basically lose the ball every time we kicked. I can't remember too many times that we won the ball back from there. It must have been under instruction, because there were so many opportunities to roll the ball to the backs but we chose to give it back to the Jets and then have them pressurising in waves.

As long as we can score more goals than we concede, I guess that we will be ahead.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we played very well after the third goal. But go on, call me an idiot and a delusionist!

I certainly noticed a lack of concentration after the third goal, my wife was watching and having been to all our home games where we have either lost or drawn she was shouting at the television to the boys to concentrate and don't let them(Jets) score, so you see even a fan who knows very little about football has seen the flaws in our game, we MUST concentrate until the end of the game