Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

Some of the clubs in the league would be royally screwed if other clubs were able to sign more marquees outside of the cap, which at this stage, cannot happen for obvious reasons.

Heart would have been worse off since we had owners that were so reluctant to spend.

But yeah, all this doesn't detract from the fact that CFG have made a crucial error in their usage of the International Marquee spot thus far.

To be fair I thought Koren would be a good solid signing for the club.

I just think the player has been disappointing, and I am sure it will have made the club sit up and take notice when they consider future marquee players.

• Like 2

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

Some of the clubs in the league would be royally screwed if other clubs were able to sign more marquees outside of the cap, which at this stage, cannot happen for obvious reasons.

Heart would have been worse off since we had owners that were so reluctant to spend.

But yeah, all this doesn't detract from the fact that CFG have made a crucial error in their usage of the International Marquee spot thus far.

I just think the player has been disappointing, and I am sure it will have made the club sit up and take notice when they consider future marquee players.

True.

How they handle the Koren situation for next season will speak volumes.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

True.

Fully agree. How CFG handle the Koren situatioon, and the other marquee spots (the Australian marquee spot, and the 10 game guest stint spot) will really influence my opinion of CFG. CFG pretty much screwed up all 3 marquee spots this season--wasting the international marquee spot on Koren, bringing Australian marquee Kennedy in mid-season and the Villa fiasco (showing up 6 days before his first game not match fit, playing a mere 4 games out of 10, etc..).

Especially with NYCFC reportedly bringing in Pirlo (whilst already having Villa and Lampard), it looks pretty bad that Melbourne City are stuck with Koren. A second season without proper use of the marquee spots would look like CFG aren't taking Melbourne City very seriously IMO.

So overall I don't buy the argument that CFG don't have the scope to bring in quality/marquee players to Melbourne City. There's 3 marquee spots--an international marquee spot, an Australian marquee spot and a 10 game guest stint-- which is close enough to the MLS ' 3 designated player rules. The only difference is NYCFC got Villa, Lampard and (possibly) Pirlo, whereas Melbourne City got Koren, Josh Kennedy mid-season and an unfit Villa for 4 games instead of 10. Not good enough. But CFG can change those poor perceptions by properly using (spending and recruiting) for Melbourne City's marquee spots next season.

• Like 3

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

True.

Fully agree. How CFG handle the Koren situatioon, and the other marquee spots (the Australian marquee spot, and the 10 game guest stint spot) will really influence my opinion of CFG. CFG pretty much screwed up all 3 marquee spots this season--wasting the international marquee spot on Koren, bringing Australian marquee Kennedy in mid-season and the Villa fiasco (showing up 6 days before his first game not match fit, playing a mere 4 games out of 10, etc..).

Especially with NYCFC reportedly bringing in Pirlo (whilst already having Villa and Lampard), it looks pretty bad that Melbourne City are stuck with Koren. A second season without proper use of the marquee spots would look like CFG aren't taking Melbourne City very seriously IMO.

So overall I don't buy the argument that CFG don't have the scope to bring in quality/marquee players to Melbourne City. There's 3 marquee spots--an international marquee spot, an Australian marquee spot and a 10 game guest stint-- which is close enough to the MLS ' 3 designated player rules. The only difference is NYCFC got Villa, Lampard and (possibly) Pirlo, whereas Melbourne City got Koren, Josh Kennedy mid-season and an unfit Villa for 4 games instead of 10. Not good enough. But CFG can change those poor perceptions by properly using (spending and recruiting) for Melbourne City's marquee spots next season.

If it was just down to money Murfy we would have the best Marquees in the league

A lot still depends on convincing players to join the A League. Whilst money will be a factor, things like competition and where people prefer to live will also be big factors for players.

Also I don't see the 10 game stint as a real Marquee position. I would much rather it be turned into a 2nd Marquee spot.

The big difference between the MLS and A League from what I can see is the salary cap. That enables the MLS to attract better quality players.

With the signing of Franjic we now have the best right back in the league. I'd be happy for us to have Garuccio & Clisby as our left backs and concentrate a majority of our budget on getting in wingers that can change a game and provide service to Kennedy. With the likelyhood of us signing Gamiero increasing we're looking much more balanced already. If we can get rid of Koren and sign a genuine marquee left winger, even JVS would struggle to not get this team into the top 4.

Velaphi

Franjic - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Garuccio

Mooy - Paartalu - Melling

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

• Like 1

Thursday 10 am.

I sort of hope Melbourne City don't announce any signings at Thursday 10 am, so we don't have to put up with a few more months of people posting "Thursday 10 am." , "Thursday 10 am." , "Thursday 10 am." ..Well wasn't quite 10 am.Thursday 5am confirmed!Confirmed...Franjic signing a three year deal with citeh! Not even 10 am yet! Edited by raw10

Do you guys have a salary cap?

You must right?  You have marquee players. 

How does your cap work? 

yes the A-League has two caps in place: salary cap and squad size.

A squad can have up to 23 players signed on a senior contract plus an additional three players signed on a youth/senior contract. Of the senior contract five players can be visa players and the remainder have to be Australians. There are three marquee positions: the international marquee, the Australian marquee and a Youth Marquee. The international and Australian marquee salaries are outside the salary cap. The Youth Marquee position has part of his salary outside the salary cap. Currently the salary cap is set at $2.55 million Australian dollars.

The constraints have been put in place for a variety of reasons: to develop local talent, to enable clubs to prosper without going broke (the history of football in Australia is not all that glorious to be honest), to make the game affordable to the public.

The squad size limit enables the best talent to be developed. There is talk about adding two more clubs to the league but one of the questions this raises is whether Australia has enough developing talent to sustain two more additional teams.

The salary cap being set at $2.55M would mean an average wage of about $140k which is about twice the average salary in Australia. Of course few if any players will be on this magical number as the younger players will be on the minimum salary and the better players will be on more, but in any case it will enable players to sustain a family whilst they are playing.

• Like 3

Koren is the worst marquee in the A League since Mario Jardel. He simply isn't good enough (or is it interested enough?) to start in a top 4 side.

If We are to do anything next year he had to be replaced as he's at best an injury back up.

Yeah, I much prefer mifsud to koren....... Mifsud was not a marquee.

Yeah, pretty much, rass.

True.

If it was just down to money Murfy we would have the best Marquees in the league

A lot still depends on convincing players to join the A League. Whilst money will be a factor, things like competition and where people prefer to live will also be big factors for players.

Also I don't see the 10 game stint as a real Marquee position. I would much rather it be turned into a 2nd Marquee spot.

The big difference between the MLS and A League from what I can see is the salary cap. That enables the MLS to attract better quality players.

I dont think we should have the 10 game stint at all to be honest. I think its a waste of time and more of a gimmick than anything.

Only hinders our season as Villa's stint showed

With the signing of Franjic we now have the best right back in the league. I'd be happy for us to have Garuccio & Clisby as our left backs and concentrate a majority of our budget on getting in wingers that can change a game and provide service to Kennedy. With the likelyhood of us signing Gamiero increasing we're looking much more balanced already. If we can get rid of Koren and sign a genuine marquee left winger, even JVS would struggle to not get this team into the top 4.

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

That line up....my god!!! you gave me a stiffy...

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

could we not have Germano at lb (if re-signed)?

Think he offers a little more going forward and is a bit of a workhorse

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy -

Agree totally. Next 2 signings must be a left and right sided attacking players (old school wingers). If this gets done within next few weeks our squad already has improved massively.

I'd still prefer a proper Left back and use Clisby as backup and play Garuccio as the backup winger.

So great start and another problem position sorted.

• Like 1

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

lol you're easily pleased - it's only 10 men!

I don't know why Garuccio is still being mentioned as a Fullback

the kid is  a left sided winger or midfielder

it was another JA experiment, continued by JVS

Play him in his correct position 

Yeah but his actually really good at the posi and it's working so why change it? unless we sign a freak fair enough. 

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

lol you're easily pleased - it's only 10 men!

hey i'm a laid back guy...lol

• Like 1

Do you guys have a salary cap?

You must right?  You have marquee players. 

How does your cap work?

yes the A-League has two caps in place: salary cap and squad size.

A squad can have up to 23 players signed on a senior contract plus an additional three players signed on a youth/senior contract. Of the senior contract five players can be visa players and the remainder have to be Australians. There are three marquee positions: the international marquee, the Australian marquee and a Youth Marquee. The international and Australian marquee salaries are outside the salary cap. The Youth Marquee position has part of his salary outside the salary cap. Currently the salary cap is set at $2.55 million Australian dollars.

The constraints have been put in place for a variety of reasons: to develop local talent, to enable clubs to prosper without going broke (the history of football in Australia is not all that glorious to be honest), to make the game affordable to the public.

The squad size limit enables the best talent to be developed. There is talk about adding two more clubs to the league but one of the questions this raises is whether Australia has enough developing talent to sustain two more additional teams.

The salary cap being set at $2.55M would mean an average wage of about $140k which is about twice the average salary in Australia. Of course few if any players will be on this magical number as the younger players will be on the minimum salary and the better players will be on more, but in any case it will enable players to sustain a family whilst they are playing. There is a minimum wage and a minimum squad size too (18 players?)

Yeah but his actually really good at the posi and it's working so why change it? unless we sign a freak fair enough. 

you're taking the piss , yeah?

look back on tapes and see how many times he has been caught out of position, beaten by his man and given away free kicks

He looks good because Ramsay was far worse in that position

Clisby is a walking yellow card, but he is a defender, who knows how to defend , a better option than Garuccio at LB

you're taking the piss , yeah?

look back on tapes and see how many times he has been caught out of position, beaten by his man and given away free kicks

He looks good because Ramsay was far worse in that position

Clisby is a walking yellow card, but he is a defender, who knows how to defend , a better option than Garuccio at LB

narr his first choice in my book everyday day. 

Velaphi

Gamiero - Kennedy - 

Don't get too hard over a starting X!. The last 5 seasons tell us that we rarely have our best X! on the pitch at the same time, what we really need is bench depth and also bench impact players, two essentials we've never had.

Velaphi

Franjic   Kisnorbo   Chapman  Georgievski

Paartalau  Mooy  Melling

Gamiero                                   Novillo

Kennedy 

Bench:

1. Redmayne or NYL keeper

2. Garrucio

3. Williams

4. Mauk

5. Koren 

I don't see Garuccio ever being a winger who will be in best XI of a genuine title challenger. Seems to lack the ability to beat an opponent 1v1 on a regular basis.

His performances at LB have been much better and with regular game time he could definitely be one of the better full backs in the league. Being very one footed he'd work very well getting down the touchline while Novillo makes his runs inside.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic