Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I could see maybe 2 more signings, another foreigner and an Aussie from somewhere and I can see us promoting a couple of youngens to take a bit more of a role and being nurtured and introduced like Tilio was when he came in. Caputo for sure who looks quite good to me and someone else, maybe someone can make a suggestion or one of the new signings, but we need a bit of an injection of youth or we will be dads army come the start of the season.

26 minutes ago, moops said:

I could see maybe 2 more signings, another foreigner and an Aussie from somewhere and I can see us promoting a couple of youngens to take a bit more of a role and being nurtured and introduced like Tilio was when he came in. Caputo for sure who looks quite good to me and someone else, maybe someone can make a suggestion or one of the new signings, but we need a bit of an injection of youth or we will be dads army come the start of the season.

Seen a rumor that we might be getting Piscopo from the Jets. Not sure how likely of happening, but he would be an excellent pickup and suit our system perfectly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, citypool said:

Look I know I come off a bit disillusional

But I can't get excited about journeyman 

Young is a Brisbane legend he means nothing to us 

Antonis and uga played at victory and western 

These aren't the signings that will increase our fanbase 

I really want players we can feel proud of 

Yeah fair enough, everyone has their own opinions on the current transfers. I think given how large our player departures have been this off season we are kind of limited on who we can bring in...

2 hours ago, moops said:

Young has been the best keeper in the league for years, leads from the back and seems to like metel music, pretty happy tbh.

Antonis had a falling out, but has been at some good clubs so he has talent, maybe we can rekindle some passion again and have him firing. Probably cheap and a 50/50 gamble as to what we will get, but if it goes well it will be a great signing.

Ugarkovic is not a bad pick up, we could do a lot worse, he had a purple patch with the jets that year Riley was there and has kind of dropped off a bit, hopefully he can perform for us, our system of play probably suits him. At 28 there's probably not much growth there, he is the finished product.

I'm pretty happy with the foreign signings, don't know much about them, but on paper they seem to be great gets.

Yes agree with Young. Only concern would be that his distribution playing it on the ground under pressure is a bit concerning. However despite his age I feel he is overall an upgrade on Glover.

Antonis if fully fit could actually do very well in our system. He has great passing range and attacking vision. Seems great with both feet although I think he's a natural left footer. As you say bit of a gamble signing, but it could pay off especially with the forward line we have...

Ugarkovic agree with all your points. He's probably a bit of a downgrade on O'neil, but let's face it he was going to be very hard to replace. 

Very curious to see what Arslan brings to this new look midfield and excited to see these upcoming youth players getting a go!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yes agree with Young. Only concern would be that his distribution playing it on the ground under pressure is a bit concerning. However despite his age I feel he is overall an upgrade on Glover.

Antonis if fully fit could actually do very well in our system. He has great passing range and attacking vision. Seems great with both feet although I think he's a natural left footer. As you say bit of a gamble signing, but it could pay off especially with the forward line we have...

Ugarkovic agree with all your points. He's probably a bit of a downgrade on O'neil, but let's face it he was going to be very hard to replace. 

Very curious to see what Arslan brings to this new look midfield and excited to see these upcoming youth players getting a go!

I actually think Ugarkovic would be a good replacement for Berisha, he's not really the best defensively, but does that middle role pretty well.

I have a good feeling about Arslan, no real reason other than his pedigree, if he's good enough he's old enough and that applies to the oldies as well. I think he will be the O'Neil replacement, but we will have to wait and see.

Transfermarkt has a number of free agent Aussies; Karacic, Rogic, Wright Id consider but they'd be asking for decent coin. Couple of others you'd think would be decent squaddies midfielder O'Doherty, and wingers Murray, Al Hassan Tuore. Quite like Jordan Murray when he was at the Jets. Played last few years in India and Thailand. Scored 4 goals last season

Can anyone point to the latest, definitive, "rules" concerning squad numbers and composition? At the moment we have 18 contracted players, and the minimum/maximum used to be 20/26, subject to certain conditions, and maybe these numbers still apply? If so, we have to make two more signings.

For me, so far the signings seem adequate, but other than Arslan don't excite me, especially considering that we are purported to have the only full-time A-League club scout in Australia, and the resources of CFG to look globally. We're allowed two marquees and two designated players and I wonder who those players are.

6 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Transfermarkt has a number of free agent Aussies; Karacic, Rogic, Wright Id consider but they'd be asking for decent coin. Couple of others you'd think would be decent squaddies midfielder O'Doherty, and wingers Murray, Al Hassan Tuore. Quite like Jordan Murray when he was at the Jets. Played last few years in India and Thailand. Scored 4 goals last season

Bailey is off to Singapore.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rogic retires.

Karacic would be an amazing signing, would he come here, or try to get a contract in Europe?

The others are interesting and are possibilities, nice thinking out of the box.

Edited by moops

1 hour ago, moops said:

I actually think Ugarkovic would be a good replacement for Berisha, he's not really the best defensively, but does that middle role pretty well.

I have a good feeling about Arslan, no real reason other than his pedigree, if he's good enough he's old enough and that applies to the oldies as well. I think he will be the O'Neil replacement, but we will have to wait and see.

Pretty sure Ugarkovic is a CDM where as Arslan can play that role but I believe he is more attacking like Berisha/VDV positions...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moops said:

You could be right, we will see when the longest off season in the world ends and the season starts.

Ugarkovic is probably the closest to O'Neill statistically out of all a-league players, Arslan is VDV replacement although they are different kind of players, just need to bring in that creative midfielder now

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Pretty sure Ugarkovic is a CDM where as Arslan can play that role but I believe he is more attacking like Berisha/VDV positions...

16 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Ugarkovic is probably the closest to O'Neill statistically out of all a-league players, Arslan is VDV replacement although they are different kind of players, just need to bring in that creative midfielder now

I don't really know anything about Arslan tbh, But going by his transfermarkt he has played CD, DM, MC so that's my reasoning behind it. So if either of you have seen him play, you know a lot more about him than I do.

I'd be really interested in how you both think we'll line up with the squad we have at the moment.

16 minutes ago, moops said:

I don't really know anything about Arslan tbh, But going by his transfermarkt he has played CD, DM, MC so that's my reasoning behind it. So if either of you have seen him play, you know a lot more about him than I do.

I'd be really interested in how you both think we'll line up with the squad we have at the moment.

Yeah fair call, I have only seen highlights of Arslan on YouTube. I'm assuming he hasn't been brought in for O'neil....

I would imagine the first 11 with players we have now would be. 

Leckie       Jmac     Nabbout

Arslan                         Antonis

Ugarkovic 

Galloway - Good - Nuno - Talbot 

Young

Hard to judge bench at this stage. 

Have we signed Souprayen yet? I thought we had, anyway I'd have him for Nuno, and Nuno could be a versatile sub.

You know my thoughts on Ugarkovic and Arslan, but I have nothing to base it on really, so you're probably on the money. I just think it's important for that DM to be able to read the game, O'Neil showed us how important that is and Arslan with the added experience could be good, he also wouldn't have to run around as much playing that role.

bench - I think Caputo for a midfield role, the attacking one and I'll say Zane as either winger for our youth projects. I was pretty impressed with Caputo in the youth national team but I haven't followed our youth team at all, so I don't have any idea about those players. Do you?

Edited by moops

21 minutes ago, moops said:

Have we signed Souprayen yet? I thought we had, anyway I'd have him for Nuno, and Nuno could be a versatile sub.

You know my thoughts on Ugarkovic and Arslan, but I have nothing to base it on really, so you're probably on the money. I just think it's important for that DM to be able to read the game, O'Neil showed us how important that is and Arslan with the added experience could be good, he also wouldn't have to run around as much playing that role.

bench - I think Caputo for a midfield role, the attacking one and I'll say Zane as either winger for our youth projects. I was pretty impressed with Caputo in the youth national team but I haven't followed our youth team at all, so I don't have any idea about those players. Do you?

Souprayen is still just a rumor and yet to be announced as an official signing. But you are probably right in him displacing Nuno from the best 11.

I just don't think Ugarkovic adds enough attacking edge to be played in the more advanced midfield role... 

Bench at this stage is very inexperienced and unproven. Caputo I thought played as a forward? Striker/Winger? Don't know anything about the new youth guys we just signed. 

41 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Souprayen is still just a rumor and yet to be announced as an official signing. But you are probably right in him displacing Nuno from the best 11.

I just don't think Ugarkovic adds enough attacking edge to be played in the more advanced midfield role... 

Bench at this stage is very inexperienced and unproven. Caputo I thought played as a forward? Striker/Winger? Don't know anything about the new youth guys we just signed. 

Caputo played as a false 9 type of player in the national team, he carried the ball well and could stick a pass, I think he could do the VDV role pretty well, he won't get much of a chance as striker while Jamie is here.

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I sincerely hope that we're not going to go short on our visa entitlement of 5 players. And, IMO, they should be starters and not sitting on the bench.

Oh definitely, especially with 4M in the kitty, I thought it was 3, but 5 gives us a lot of scope.

Edited by moops

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Azarni going to victory 

Round around the merry round goes 

We're going to get this in such a small league and no other league anywhere near us geographically. It's a pity because it doesn't add anything to the league in general or make the individual clubs attractive. That's how I feel with, for example, Jamie Young and Terry Antonis, although it's clear in those cases that they are stopgaps for one year only.

But what's the alternative? In some cases you can bring in an exciting player from overseas, for example Adrian Luna, and then, thank you, the Department of Home Affairs Immigration Section doesn't allow his family to come with him. Or you risk bringing in an unproven young player from a lesser AFC country? And so with all our clubs bar City struggling with finances we are going to get recycled A-League players.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We're going to get this in such a small league and no other league anywhere near us geographically. It's a pity because it doesn't add anything to the league in general or make the individual clubs attractive. That's how I feel with, for example, Jamie Young and Terry Antonis, although it's clear in those cases that they are stopgaps for one year only.

But what's the alternative? In some cases you can bring in an exciting player from overseas, for example Adrian Luna, and then, thank you, the Department of Home Affairs Immigration Section doesn't allow his family to come with him. Or you risk bringing in an unproven young player from a lesser AFC country? And so with all our clubs bar City struggling with finances we are going to get recycled A-League players.

They could at least try not to get victory or western players. Like the odd one is fine but it's start to feel like aflx or big bash 

6 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Souprayen is left footed, I would be surprised if the club play both Good & Souprayen, as left footed centre back partnerships basically don't exist, my theory is Souprayen is a versatile depth option, can play centre back & left back

Depth will be massive for us this year if we want to do anything in the ACL

10 hours ago, citypool said:

They could at least try not to get victory or western players. Like the odd one is fine but it's start to feel like aflx or big bash 

I think we all feel that way. But the realities of the salary cap and other squad restrictions apply to City just as they do to all the other clubs. We may have the best financial backing, but we do still have a budget within CFG, and when you add up the total costs of running City it will be pretty substantial. We lease Casey Fields and AAMI Park and other grounds too, and the costs of the Academy with all those various coaches and other admin and backroom staff would be pretty large. I very much doubt that a transfer fee now and again would offset that averaged over a period of years.

Having said all that, so far this off-season the recruiting does seem a bit more ho-hum than 3-4 seasons ago. I also have the feeling that tying up expensive players on 3-year contracts has backfired on us and limited what we can do this season.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think we all feel that way. But the realities of the salary cap and other squad restrictions apply to City just as they do to all the other clubs. We may have the best financial backing, but we do still have a budget within CFG, and when you add up the total costs of running City it will be pretty substantial. We lease Casey Fields and AAMI Park and other grounds too, and the costs of the Academy with all those various coaches and other admin and backroom staff would be pretty large. I very much doubt that a transfer fee now and again would offset that averaged over a period of years.

Having said all that, so far this off-season the recruiting does seem a bit more ho-hum than 3-4 seasons ago. I also have the feeling that tying up expensive players on 3-year contracts has backfired on us and limited what we can do this season.

Also spending $40m plus on a new training facility at Casey  is a big investment  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Who cares Who we sign, all you guys will do is complain about it.

Sensible discussion and expression of opinions and feelings is not complaining. IMO everyone is aware that this is a challenging off-season for the club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Luke Oresti has departed club for CCM. Was seen playing for CCM NPL game today 

As usual no communication from the club 

This is unfortunately the problem we have. We have a great academy that produces overall a lot of decent youth players. However our first 11's are usually really strong and hard for the young blokes to break into. Then naturally when we can't offer all these youth players enough minutes then they look to go elsewhere for more game time. Only the best of the bunch make it in our current set up, which of course is a good thing!

24 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This is unfortunately the problem we have. We have a great academy that produces overall a lot of decent youth players. However our first 11's are usually really strong and hard for the young blokes to break into. Then naturally when we can't offer all these youth players enough minutes then they look to go elsewhere for more game time. Only the best of the bunch make it in our current set up, which of course is a good thing!

Well, yes and no. One would hardly call Antonis "really strong." Oresti's scholarship contract was until the end of next season. A little odd that he goes now perhaps?

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, yes and no. One would hardly call Antonis "really strong." Oresti's scholarship contract was until the end of next season. A little odd that he goes now perhaps?

Same as letting Valadon go to the victory while we sign a player who couldn’t even get a game at WSW