Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Hmmmmm

Screenshot_20170201-192006.png

There's the full article here: http://www.beinsports.com/au/football/news/city-signing-herrera-could-be-loaned-to-melbo/439996

Clearly says "New York or Melbourne."

However, I came across this: http://www.a-league.com.au/about . If I am reading this correctly, we can still sign a 14-match guest player, and Herrera could come to us under that rule. This is an official A-League page, and the way I read it it clearly says that the "Guest Player" allowed outside the cap is not the same as the "Season 2016/17 Guest Player", who is Cahill and not restricted to the number of matches he can play. This is the first time I have seen what I think says we can have two Guest Players and also two Designated Players (who are Fornaroli and Colazo).

Would like to see comments on this...

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There's the full article here: http://www.beinsports.com/au/football/news/city-signing-herrera-could-be-loaned-to-melbo/439996

However, I came across this: http://www.a-league.com.au/about . If I am reading this correctly, we can still sign a 14-match guest player, and Herrera could come to us under that rule. This is an official A-League page, and the way I read it it clearly says that the "Guest Player" allowed outside the cap is not the same as the "Season 2016/17 Guest Player", who is Cahill and not restricted to the number of matches he can play. This is the first time I have seen what I think says we can have two Guest Players and also two Designated Players (who are Fornaroli and Colazo).

Maybe so but would still need to get rid of a visa player to get him in wouldnt we?

3 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Maybe so but would still need to get rid of a visa player to get him in wouldnt we?

I thought that Guest Players could come from anywhere and were outside the limit of 5, but maybe I'm wrong about that too.

Edited by jw1739

6 minutes ago, neio said:

We would be silly not to at least have a chat to thwaite 

Let's hope we are.  On the rest of the pitch we can make do and mend, but we're stuffed in defence.  It's the one place on the park we could really use an extra body.  With Chapman gone surely we could think about a contract until the end of the season?

I can't see a reason not to look at him 

33 years old,  so he isn't young but he also isn't super super old

Played 25 games in past year

Was captain of Perth so has leadership qualities 

At his age,  he won't be going back overseas, so if he fits in you could keep him next season 

On 07/02/2017 at 6:28 PM, neio said:

We would be silly not to at least have a chat to thwaite 

On 07/02/2017 at 6:49 PM, neio said:

I can't see a reason not to look at him 

33 years old,  so he isn't young but he also isn't super super old

Played 25 games in past year

Was captain of Perth so has leadership qualities 

At his age,  he won't be going back overseas, so if he fits in you could keep him next season 

Thwaite definitely worth a look.

Ryan McGowan is also without a club. Saw some talk linking him with his old Scottish club Hearts, so I take that with a grain of salt but implies he might very well be a viable option

2 hours ago, haz said:

Less then a week after Daniel Bowles does his knee against us, Brisbane have already signed a injury replacement.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/brisbane-roar-add-australia-born-greek-defender-to-squad/ddi114tgyio81jepddvncac6e

(Keep in mind this guy is being investigated for match fixing)

Nice little nugget there.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, jw1739 said:

Has signed on loan to New York City.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/story/3060947/yangel-herrera-set-for-loan-move-to-new-york-city-fc-from-man-city

During the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 Season, a Club may only register either a Guest Player or a Season 2016/17 Guest Player during the Hyundai A-League Season but not both. A Season 2016/17 Guest Player is included in the 20 to 23 Players on a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Guest Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. - See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about#sthash.fMbQTWz9.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about#hjkE12LYWV2gcYfs.99

FWIW

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

During the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 Season, a Club may only register either a Guest Player or a Season 2016/17 Guest Player during the Hyundai A-League Season but not both. A Season 2016/17 Guest Player is included in the 20 to 23 Players on a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Guest Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. - See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/about#sthash.fMbQTWz9.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/about#hjkE12LYWV2gcYfs.99

FWIW

Yep. I found that after I posted.

The full summary:

A summary of the Hyundai A-League salary cap

1. What is the purpose of the Salary Cap?

The Salary Cap facilitates competitive balance and parity between Clubs by ensuring that the playing talent is distributed amongst the Hyundai A-League Clubs. In doing so, this increases the attraction of the competition to fans, sponsors and broadcast partners.

The Salary Cap also safeguards the economic viability of the Hyundai A-League by ensuring that Clubs are not put in a position where they are forced to spend beyond their financial capabilities in order to stay competitive on the field.

2. What is the Salary Cap in the Hyundai A-League?

The Hyundai A-League Salary Cap is $2.60 million for the 2016/17 Season. Clubs must spend at least the Salary Floor which is $2.340m (representing 90% of the Salary Cap).

The Salary Cap applies to the 20 to 23 Players that Clubs have registered to their Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Unless specifically exempt, all payments and benefits (eg. cars, accommodation, etc) provided by a Club to a Player are included in the Club’s Salary Cap.

3. What can Players receive outside the Salary Cap?

Players can receive payments from Clubs outside the Salary Cap in certain circumstances as approved by FFA. These ‘exemptions’ or ‘allowances’ incentivise Clubs to spend in specific strategic areas such as attracting marketable world class players to the Hyundai A-League (Marquee or Guest Players), retaining long-serving Players on multi-year contracts (Loyalty Players), encouraging the development of young Australian Players (Homegrown Players) or identifying late-developing Players that may have missed the traditional player pathway (Mature Age Rookie).

The following discretionary payments are outside the Salary Cap:

• Designated Players – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on two Players (Foreign or Australian) it nominates as Designated Players;
  • Guest Player – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on one Guest Player who must satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria as approved by FFA. A Guest Player is restricted to a maximum of 14 Hyundai A-League matches;
  • Season 2016/17 Guest Player – A Club can spend an unlimited amount on one Season 2016/17 Guest Player who must satisfy the prescribed marketability criteria as approved by FFA. The Season 2016/17 Guest Player is not restricted to a maximum number of Hyundai A-League matches;
  • Homegrown Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $150,000 on 3 Australian Players aged 23 or younger that have come through the Club’s youth system. Any payments to such Players above the $150,000 allowance are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
  • Loyalty Players – A Club can spend up to a collective $200,000 across any number of Players that have given 5 or more consecutive seasons of service to the Club. A portion of a Loyalty Player’s contract value is excluded from the Salary Cap based on a progressive scale from 25% (5th continuous season) to 50% (10th continuous season onwards);
  • Mature Age Rookie – A Club can register an Australian Player that is aged 21 or older who last played in an Australian competition (eg. PlayStation4 National Premier Leagues) and has not played in a fully professional league for at least 18 months;
  • Contracted NYL Players/ Scholarship Players – Each Club can contract up to 6 under 20 Australian Players on the minimum youth salary (Contracted NYL Players) or national minimum wage (Scholarship Players). Any payments above the minimum youth salary or national minimum wage (whichever is applicable) to these Players are included in the Club’s Salary Cap;
  • Salary Cap Banking – A Club can access any underspend from the previous two Seasons to be utilised in the current Season, up to a maximum of 105% of the Salary Cap for that Season; and
  • Relocation Expenses – Clubs can reimburse Players for bona fide relocation expenses (eg. airfares, temporary accommodation, storage) outside the Salary Cap up to prescribed amounts in order to assist a Player relocating to a new region for football employment.

4. How many Players does a Club have on their Hyundai A-League Player Roster?

At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

• a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under; and
  • a maximum of 5 Foreign Players.

During the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 Season, a Club may only register either a Guest Player or a Season 2016/17 Guest Player during the Hyundai A-League Season but not both. A Season 2016/17 Guest Player is included in the 20 to 23 Players on a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Guest Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster.

Players on a Club’s Foxtel National Youth League (NYL) Player Roster, including Contracted NYL Players and Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League.

5. What is the minimum salary for a Hyundai A-League Player?

The minimum salary for Players in the Hyundai A-League in the 2016/17 Season is:

• Under 20 - $41,533 (excluding superannuation); and
  • 20 and over - $55,715 (excluding superannuation).

11 hours ago, haz said:

Less then a week after Daniel Bowles does his knee against us, Brisbane have already signed a injury replacement.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/brisbane-roar-add-australia-born-greek-defender-to-squad/ddi114tgyio81jepddvncac6e

(Keep in mind this guy is being investigated for match fixing)

Don't really understand why we don't seem to have even looked to replace Gameiro, Kuzi and now Chapman. Just seems like stubbornness - seems someone's drawn a line underneath the squad and said "that's what you've got to work with - make it work."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Don't really understand why we don't seem to have even looked to replace Gameiro, Kuzi and now Chapman. Just seems like stubbornness - seems someone's drawn a line underneath the squad and said "that's what you've got to work with - make it work."

And so they should.

We are really grasping for straws if we do not think we have enough talent as the list stands to win it all. How much were those 3 involved when we won the FFA cup?

• Like 3

Just now, kingofhearts said:

And so they should.

We are really grasping for straws if we do not think we have enough talent as the list stands to win it all. How much were those 3 involved when we won the FFA cup?

Totally agree, the elephant in the room is our coaching staff and game plan. We have the best player list but the wrong leadership.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikeythemoocow said:

Samaras has Elephant feet. Stuff you can't teach. We should just sign Berbatov. Free Transfer and his quality will slay ALeague

I can't imagine much worse than watching him cover less pitch than me and having three touches on game day, then losing it when we lose 1-0 to CCM. His laziness would be exponentially worse once summer kicked in too

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I can't imagine much worse than watching him cover less pitch than me and having three touches on game day, then losing it when we lose 1-0 to CCM. His laziness would be exponentially worse once summer kicked in too

That's it, I'm never liking one of your posts again. Samaras is god.

54 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Be hilarious (in a macabre sort of way) watching Berbatov trudge around in front of the last defender looking for the perfect ball to his feet that never came, getting more and more pissed off. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic