Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

Does anyone know our lowest and highest attendance?

I know the highest was against Newcastle when Villa played, what were the number for both high and low?

I assume you are talking about non-Derby matches at AAMI? 

Lowest: 8th December 2000, versus Newcastle, 2,743.

Highest: 19th October 2014, versus Newcastle, 15,717

Edit: Apart from our very first match against CCM (11,050), and the "specials" (Del Piero no. 1, Villa*2), yesterday was our second-highest non-Derby crowd. Only 11,007 on 14th October 2012 versus Wellington has been better.

Edited by jw1739

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I assume you are talking about non-Derby matches at AAMI? 

Lowest: 8th December 2000, versus Newcastle, 2,743.

Highest: 19th October 2014, versus Newcastle, 15,717

Edit: Apart from our very first match against CCM (11,050), and the "specials" (Del Piero no. 1, Villa*2), yesterday was our second-highest non-Derby crowd. Only 11,007 on 14th October 2012 versus Wellington has been better.

was that Wellington game when they had about 9 players out and we were coming off the derby win? and the Newcastle game was an underwhelming draw?

always stuff it with big crowds 

16 minutes ago, MHFCRC said:

was that Wellington game when they had about 9 players out and we were coming off the derby win? and the Newcastle game was an underwhelming draw?

Thought yesterday's game was entertaining considering we had players out. I enjoyed it despite the draw. It's entertaining football and it is what will keep fans coming back and special mention has to go to players like sorrenson, novillo and fornarolli.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MHFCRC said:

Correct.
1. Colosimo sent off and Ifill converted the penalty and we only drew 1-1.
2. Villa equalized in the 87th to scramble us another 1-1 draw.
We have never been able to handle the pressure of expectation - Heart or City - doesn't matter. Bela will give us a profound technical explanation of why.

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

So my seat wouldn't recline properly on my Etihad flight from Manchester to Abu Dhabi and I got bumped up to business class as there was no more space in economy. Anyway, I was conveniently seated next to a prominent CFG personality (don't think there was any first class on this flight hence why they were in business class). 

Can confirm Mooy is gone. A-league transfer record broken. Will be most likely playing in the Premier League next season but of course no one can say for sure with promotion/relegation especially this season. Would be surprised if his team weren't in the Premier League next season though. 

its like a fairytale 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Contracts mean nothing $$$$ mean everything!!! If you got poached from one of your work rivals and they offered you an extra 30k would you say no i can i have a contract?

Yes you do withdraw players providing the players wants to entertain the offer!! If the player has no interest in the offer they play ..... simple!!!

Franjic couldnt give a shit about city he only signed for us to move on to Europe.

Sorry you don't withdraw players unless they say they don't want to play!

I don't believe any of those players would refuse to play in a game of such importance.

We will have to agree to disagree

Didn't see this here. This was said by the "Special Agent" earlier this week:

Wilkinson looking East for move

By The Secret Agent

Dec 29, 2015

Socceroo defender Alex Wilkinson is back in Sydney.

Wilko was seen having coffee with ex-Mariners teammate John Hutchinson and told his former captain that he was holding out for a possibly lucrative deal in the Middle East.

I understand that Wilkinson’s management have offers from Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC on the table.

I also understand that Wilkinson has been given two weeks to decide his future by the two Asian Champions League playing A-League clubs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4689500-alex-gersbach-wanted-by-english-championship-club/slide/422300

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Hey @AntiScum how confident was your source with Troisi? maybe its me being pessimistic but I would be pretty surprised if we landed him. Unless of course the Saudi team is asking for a fee 

The person who told me is usually pretty reliable (i was told during a before the game function on Saturday). I dont know what the makings of the deal is but i do know his saudi club is willing to release him for whatever reason.

It could be a guest stint and it could depend on outgoings. Im not even sure how we will be able to afford him.

I also heard that we are working hard with the FFA to release Koren providing he can be replaced. (this is maybe where Troisi comes into it)

Edited by AntiScum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

The person who told me is usually pretty reliable (i was told during a before the game function on Saturday). I dont know what the makings of the deal is but i do know his saudi club is willing to release him for whatever reason.

It could be a guest stint and it could depend on outgoings. Im not even sure how we will be able to afford him.

I also heard that we are working hard with the FFA to release Koren providing he can be replaced. (this is maybe where Troisi comes into it)

I am just surprised that its pretty much a done deal. Getting rid of Koren and brining in Troisi makes sense and I still think we will get a big name guest player in

The latest rule that I can find regarding marquee players is as follows: (under Marquee Player, Rule 7.6)

"During an A-League season, a club may have two Marquee Players on its Player Roster. Only one of these Marquee Players may be a Foreign Player."

From "Player Contract Regulations 2011/12 and 2012/13 Seasons." 

I have not been able to find a later version of the regulations in full, but we do know that changes have been made. See http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-salary-cap-clubs-allowed-two-foreign-marquees-in-changes-for-2015-2016-season/story-e6frf4gl-1227478678629

However, IMO the only reasonable interpretation of the rule is that two means two. I cannot see that unless FFA changes the intent of the rule, and its wording, that Koren can be replaced by another Marquee player paid outside the cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I am just surprised that its pretty much a done deal. Getting rid of Koren and brining in Troisi makes sense and I still think we will get a big name guest player in

I'm only passing on what I've been told. I don't know what is involved in the deal, it could depended on outgoings or factors that werent mentioned but i was told the deal has been agreed. If something or the FFA block the deal who knows???

****just remember that the FFA want to keep the league as even as possible so they have the powers to bend and flex where needed****

Edited by AntiScum

15 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I'm only passing on what I've been told. I don't know what is involved in the deal, it could depended on outgoings or factors that werent mentioned but i was told the deal has been agreed. If something or the FFA block the deal who knows???

****just remember that the FFA want to keep the league as even as possible so they have the powers to bend and flex where needed****

What's crap with that is the FFA will only bend and flex if it is fair on other teams irrespective if clubs work within the rules of the league. 

3 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Troisi isn't marquee worthy IMO, judging by the criteria that I've heard for a guest player he doesn't fit that mold either. Get him under the cap would be a good get. What position is best suited to or play? Or is he a Mr fix it across the front 3rd?

10 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Troisi isn't marquee worthy IMO, judging by the criteria that I've heard for a guest player he doesn't fit that mold either. Get him under the cap would be a good get. What position is best suited to or play? Or is he a Mr fix it across the front 3rd?

Depending on who else they can get? If nobody id put him on marquee till our season ends  if they have a big fish lined up I'm sure an injury replacement with money under the table would be it.

Agree with JW, as far as is known an A-League club can't replace a marquee during the season. And it hasn't happened over the 11 years of the A-League, which lends support to the idea it can't happen.

The arguments for Melbourne City managing to snare some star quality mid-season are that it isn't certainly known that clubs can't use a marquee spot twice in the same season (there might be loopholes, especially after some new rules were agreed this season [such as 2 marquees, Australian or international]), "Football Federation Australia and Fox Sports are desperate for clubs to boost interest in the competition with high-profile guest players" ( http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc/sydney-fc-fail-in-audacious-bid-to-sign-stoke-city-striker-peter-crouch-20160103-glyhas.html , unsurprising given the league's metrics being a bit down this season), the FFA has a new Chairman after Steven Lowy replaced Frank Lowy and Melbourne City could use any player that could improve the team (which Troisi certainly would).

So all up given the circumstances around the A-League this season I wouldn't rule out Melbourne City managing to bring in some quality one way or the other mid-season. But the most important thing overall I'd say is that Melbourne City keeps pace with the other contenders this season and does enough business when the transfer window opens tomorrow.

Edited by Murfy1

Dean Bouzanis in, and Velaphi off to the J-League reportedly:

City could make the first signing of the A-League January transfer window, which opens on Tuesday, with keeper Dean Bouzanis set to be unveiled.

Bouzanis is expected to sit on the bench against former club Western Sydney on Saturday at AAMI Park, with Tando Velaphi set to join a Japanese J-League club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-citys-david-williams-pulls-out-of-adelaide-united-swap-deal/news-story/81b5698a6a245cfc8f4f61824ccadf48

Edited by Murfy1

Don't like it not one bit.

Tando for Bouzanis just crazy. 

No Malik disappointing. 

Williams to Jets only good if we use cap space to bring a quality replacement. 

The Tando move is just nonsensical. What benefit is it for the list. I understand Tando's situation but frankly that's irrelevant to what's best for the team. If the move is made then I hope that Sorensen is capable of playing uninjured indefinitely. 

• Like 2

If the club want Malik so much (which seems to be the case, given that they have 'admired' him for a while) and Adelaide are willing to part ways, the club will find a way. But its a horrible start for us so far. A successful transfer period for us would be Malik and Troisi with the side benefit of landing Troisi we dont let our rivals get stronger. Icing on the cake would be getting rid of Koren and If that takes FFA making an exception then that means we would have to bring in a huge name which is a win win for us.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

Don't like it not one bit.

Tando for Bouzanis just crazy. 

No Malik disappointing. 

Williams to Jets only good if we use cap space to bring a quality replacement. 

The Tando move is just nonsensical. What benefit is it for the list. I understand Tando's situation but frankly that's irrelevant to what's best for the team. If the move is made then I hope that Sorensen is capable of playing uninjured indefinitely. 

I haven't heard anything, so this is all gut instinct, but this sounds like other situations I've seen where a player who was a first team regular loses their spot, realises they aren't going to get it back and basically decides that it's a convenient time to go and seek a new challenge. It sounds to me like Tando has asked for a transfer and fancies a move abroad.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

If the club want Malik so much (which seems to be the case, given that they have 'admired' him for a while) and Adelaide are willing to part ways, the club will find a way. But its a horrible start for us so far. A successful transfer period for us would be Malik and Troisi with the side benefit of landing Troisi we dont let our rivals get stronger. Icing on the cake would be getting rid of Koren and If that takes FFA making an exception then that means we would have to bring in a huge name which is a win win for us.

Adelaide wants cash and a player in return for Malik. And presumably that they want a attacking player. Can't think of any at the moment to take Williams place to be traded to Adelaide. So I reckon all deals are off. Otherwise, it would have already happen. Plus, this other player would have to agree to the same contract that Williams had turned down. 

7 minutes ago, sharpy said:

Why would Tando want to sit on the bench when he has the opportunity to play in Japan? Can't blame him or the club for the transfer.

Yes.

I wouldn't blame Tando if he felt hard done by. Came in, did well, only for the club to sign someone over him.

if the club refused a release what would happen? Odds are Tando would just go through the motions. Last thing you want is a disgruntled player hanging around, not playing. I can't see the point of brinkmanship with a back up player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yes.

I wouldn't blame Tando if he felt hard done by. Came in, did well, only for the club to sign someone over him.

if the club refused a release what would happen? Odds are Tando would just go through the motions. Last thing you want is a disgruntled player hanging around, not playing. I can't see the point of brinkmanship with a back up player.

As well as the above, let him go and keep him happy, and we have every chance of resigning him in a couple years when we require a no. 1 keeper. Not to mention the message it send to other players thinking about signing with us.

Burning your bridges for a number two keeper is silly.

• Like 2

With Tando, its the right move for him as as I think that the club will now stick with a Visa keeper as its first choice going forward.  There is no doubt Thomas has saved us points and his leadership and desire to win has been one of the reasons we are seeing some cultural changes on match day ... games that we would historically lose, we are drawing and even winning, and he is part of the reason this is happening.  

• Like 4

Big successful clubs never put the interests of the individual player infront of the collective. 

Tando should go but the club doesn't need to make that easy and with no real quality replacement it's detrimental going forward. 

It's time this club makes hard nosed soccer decisions in the best interest of the team and forget about be nice and friendly. 

If it was my call id simply put it to Tando he's required and is going nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Big successful clubs never put the interests of the individual player infront of the collective.

Tando should go but the club doesn't need to make that easy and with no real quality replacement it's detrimental going forward.

It's time this club makes hard nosed soccer decisions in the best interest of the team and forget about be nice and friendly.

Maybe in Europe or elsewhere, but in a salary capped competition with limited visa places you’ll come unstuck very quickly with tactics like that. World footballers don’t and won’t ever aspire to play for Melbourne City.

26 minutes ago, raw10 said:

Adelaide wants cash and a player in return for Malik. And presumably that they want a attacking player. Can't think of any at the moment to take Williams place to be traded to Adelaide. So I reckon all deals are off. Otherwise, it would have already happen. Plus, this other player would have to agree to the same contract that Williams had turned down. 

What about the King of soul? + $.

JB can play across the front 4.

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I tend to agree. Tando was happy to sign a two-year contract - he didn't have to. He could have asked for one year, he could have declined to sign at all.

How can we ever build a successful team when players can seemingly do as they please, even though they are under contract?

• jw1739 pinned this topic